We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Best build to survive solo as a Captain?

So with the new system, what are people finding to be the best way to survive when going solo?

I see that the Leader of Men tree seems to work well by giving heals when you (or your brother) is hit.
    What's the point spread people are using with that?

I've been trying the Healing tree, and I do like the number of heals I get. I just don't know how well I can keep things going.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000051d0f4/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

For starters, you will need to use a herald if you aren't already. Be sure to eithe slot a banner of war or hope, though.

What level are you at?

When questing I'm red line, when in the moors I'm yellow line.

I'll stay yellow line in pvp until I hear the QQ of the OPness, then i'll be going back to red. (unless i'm feeling trollish)

Bannerman, r13 War-Leader/ Ryzer, r13 Captain
    Arkenstone

For most soloing, I use a build that's mostly LtC and then goes into LoM just far enough to get Noble Mark. I sometimes switch over to a full LoM tank build when I need to be a "one Captain fellowship" and take on something really tough. I haven't bothered customising that into a true LoM solo build, but it'd probably be a good investment of my time -- LoM's threat mechanics are kind of handy in the Epic Battles, even when you go in alone.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

seeing as how easy it is to switch roles and that off-speccing costs double, I have just been going all points into whatever color and then using the few points left over on whatever.

this is the first "tree" system where I just throw my lot into one line and call it a day. I don't think I have ever put all points into a single tree in any game until now.

I also have yet to encounter any new content that isn't trivial for a capn, save for a couple War Bands, but my build has little effect in those scenarios... the WBs that 1-2 shot me would still do that regardless of my build.

yellow-line almost feels like im on my war-horse... taking on entire camps of on-level mobs at once.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of the new system. I think it's pretty terrible.

Firstly, it shouldn't cost double to spend points in a different tree.
    Second, if they want to try and make people "focus", then only the tree tied to the build they selected should unlock points for it.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0320200000051d0f4/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

For most solo, I max red line and put point in yellow for the extra morale and some in h0h for steeled hands. I then use archer for the extra dps so i can kills things quicker. For normal solo leveling so far. I did go back and solo turtle and found HoH build with shield is better for long drawn out battles were i take lot of damage. Have not tried yellow line yet.

I think all are viable solo. but require a little different tactics. For example red line allows quicker killing of mobs, but one cannot just run around and agro 50 mobs 5 levels higher and expect it to go as well as if they were traited yellow or blue.

And on a funny note, I have go to remember not to run around a room and aggro everyone when I switch from my captain back to my RK or LM. They do not handle it quite as well.
    Last edited by amagleg; Dec 04 2013 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamTaylor View Post
    So with the new system, what are people finding to be the best way to survive when going solo?

I see that the Leader of Men tree seems to work well by giving heals when you (or your brother) is hit.

I've been trying the Healing tree, and I do like the number of heals I get. I just don't know how well I can keep things going.
    For survival alone, Leader of Men is your friend. That said, in my questing, I have been preferring a Lead the Charge build with points sprinkled in LoM for extra morale, and HoH (for crit, I think).
    Aethelbehrt ~ Captain of Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by AdamTaylor View Post

As someone who made a fresh captain on a fresh server last week, I can safely say that the best build is wholly dependent on your level and trait points.

Leader of men reay only picks up after you get the trait that gives you shield brother benefits, which for most players is around level 65. Before that, the red line is what you want for general quests and blue line to solo fellowship quests - use a shield for the super tough ones.

The healing output possible from the blue line and how early you get it along with a 2nd battle ready frok valiant strike makes soloing fellowship quests before 65 far more manageable than leader of men, especially for any player without a max level char to siphon resources from or any player new to the game.