We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What has happened to the forums!?

Why are 95% of forum posts these days about people just saying how much they hate the game!?

If you don't like it.. don't play it! No one forces you too! Please stop clogging the forums with your winging and whining!

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by Thoriden View Post
    Why are 95% of forum posts these days about people just saying how much they hate the game!?

If you don't like it.. don't play it! No one forces you too! Please stop clogging the forums with your winging and whining!
    Please be a bit more respectful towards your fellow gamers, and don't straw-man them by suggesting they're only saying they "hate" the game. It may be that you experience all criticism as "whining", but I would humbly suggest that this is your problem; please don't make it ours. Because secondly, the "consumption" metaphor is really problematic when talking about longer-term relationships with certain items, such as MMOs. You invest emotionally in characters ("immersion"), the relationships with your kinmates/worldmates, the lore generally; if everyone would really decide, as soon as they didn't like a few things, to up and leave, there would be very few games with a stable player base. What happens instead of "consumption" of the game is that players try to steer the course the development takes, which is what a lot of people posting here are doing, by pointing out which recent changes they like/dislike, and why they do so. It would behoove you to appreciate that, or at least respect others for trying rather than simply leaving the moment they get bored or annoyed.

(a premature) Happy NY.

Quote Originally Posted by rannion View Post
    Please be a bit more respectful towards your fellow gamers, and don't straw-man them by suggesting they're only saying they "hate" the game. It may be that you experience all criticism as "whining", but I would humbly suggest that this is your problem; please don't make it ours. Because secondly, the "consumption" metaphor is really problematic when talking about longer-term relationships with certain items, such as MMOs. You invest emotionally in characters ("immersion"), the relationships with your kinmates/worldmates, the lore generally; if everyone would really decide, as soon as they didn't like a few things, to up and leave, there would be very few games with a stable player base. What happens instead of "consumption" of the game is that players try to steer the course the development takes, which is what a lot of people posting here are doing, by pointing out which recent changes they like/dislike, and why they do so. It would behoove you to appreciate that, or at least respect others for trying rather than simply leaving the moment they get bored or annoyed.

(a premature) Happy NY.
    He's clearly trolling, and hopefully this thread will be treated accordingly.

if you like ladybuds, something is different.
    Ukrush | Meneldor | Dark Impulse

The immersion is too real.

5. Dec 31 2013, 08:59 AM

6. Dec 31 2013, 09:07 AM

7. Dec 31 2013, 09:13 AM

8. Dec 31 2013, 09:31 AM

Happy New Year!
    Well if we learned anything new from this year its the same thing we have known from previous years..Far to many armchair game makers who's favorite game is to see who can be the bestist guesser in the world.

Turbine are a game maker and also part of one the worlds largest entertainment companies, their knowledge and experience is better than ours.

If you don't like it.. don't play it! No one forces you too!
    People paid for this expansion. They have the right as a customer to tell the company what they think of it.

Think...you might like the change.

Happy New Year!
    If you don't like it... don't read the forum! No one forces you to! Please stop clogging the forums with your winging and whining!

Ooops... I did it AGAIN!

Never ceases to amaze me that people can compose a rant about the forums being negative and full of complaints without pausing even a moment to grasp the irony of what they're doing.

Concerning the forums, to paraphrase the original post: "If you don't like it.. don't read it! No one forces you too!"

An issue is an issue till it's fixed, the minute people stop complaining about an issue the company starts thinking it's no longer an issue. They only way to get a company to fix an issue is to stay on it and gripe about it till it is fixed.

And I do wish people would get it right rather then trying so desperately to belittle peoples concerns or opinions. Jet engines whine, children whine, adults gripe, saying I am whining is belittling me and my opinion, and I take it as an insult.

People that don't gripe about issues are the same people that get bent over a barrel and maybe get a kiss and a washcloth when the company is done with them, then thank the company for doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Linathrial View Post
    Wait, and what about the people that come here and start threads just to bash the game...on and on and on and on? Are they not provoking conflict? We ALL know the game NEEDS fixing and improvement in MANY areas! You think Turbine doesn't know about all the problems? If they don't, they should be fired and replaced immediately.

Complaining on the forums all day long is not going to accomplish anything...either turbine is going to address the issues with the game or they are not. I hope they do, soon, whining on the forums all day long will profit no one...period.

Ya, I was sent that in a private message yesterday...number 8 with an infraction. Yawn. I feel like I'm back in elementary school...or worse!

I quickly deleted the private message and went and made a sandwich.

Happy New Year!
    If you can't see the difference between "bashing" or complaining about the game and "bashing" or complaining about people for posting their opinion on the game then I can't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by enginekid88 View Post
    People paid for this expansion. They have the right as a customer to tell the company what they think of it.

Think...you might like the change.
    I have no problem with this statement whatsoever. I am not speaking of the people that truly love this game and want to see it improved...count me in that crowd.

I am speaking about the haters....the ones that don't even play the game and come on here and just bash, every night and day 24/7.

I have a complaint to turbine,

make the end game content, instances and pvp better....WAY BETTER than it is now! And fix the darn classes. I love the new trait lines, but my toons are not gods you know, make it challenging and enough with the expansions and new regions for now, FIX YOUR PROBLEMS FIRST...other than that, the game is great.

Turbine has been hearing this exact message on the forums for a LONG time now. It's up to them. If they don't, what can you do but move on.
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Turbine has been hearing this exact message on the forums for a LONG time now. It's up to them. If they don't, what can you do but move on.
    I can continue to tell them until they listen. I'm a 3 account lifetime subscriber who has quit spending money on the game due to low content. I'm trying to convince them to give me something worth spending my entertainment dollars on. In the meantime I play for free and continue to plead my case.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

17. Dec 31 2013, 10:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by rctman View Post
    ...and we have a winner!

LOL Thanks for the laugh. + imaginary rep.
    "I never feed trolls and I don't read spam" - Weird Al Yankovic

Oh, the irony.....
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/132130000001229d7/01008/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]
    Thillian, Hunter, Level 63, Elf, Kindred Souls, Riddermark

Quote Originally Posted by HoldumDown View Post
    I'm quoting this just in case the edit button is still available.
    Are you provoking conflict? Are you trying to "bait" me into thinking of editing my post? Not going to happen. Should I be quaking in my boots right about now? That's not going to happen either.

If I am in violation of section #8....so are you.

And I really don't give a flock of seagulls either way.

"Mommy, Billy threw me in the horse manure pit and shoved my face in garden fertilizer!"

Good grief!
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door. You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

~ Bilbo Baggins * J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Simple answer : A lot of things happened at once.

1. New Expansion
    2. Having to buy the Expansion to run the Epic Questline
    3. Class Tree / Trait Revamp
    4. Huge Patch right after that listed a number of things that weren't fixed.

All of this, plus people wanting old bugs and such fixed, made for a lot of reasons to come and voice your point on how you feel about these things.

I know on my server alone, I am not up to over 30 people from my friend's list that have canceled their subs and aren't going to play anymore.
    After the Winter Fest, I, too am dropping the game for a while. I have already canceled my sub.
    I did pay the 6 months in advance for my kinmates houses ( since I am house mom and this is my responsibility).

Come June, I'll see if the game is worth giving another shot, or if I should just pay up the rent on the houses and wait 6 more months to see if it gets better.

I speak with my wallet. Since most words fall upon deaf ears.

Happy New Year!
    Thank you. Agreed.
    Last edited by Breeon; Dec 31 2013 at 11:25 AM.

Happy New Year!
    I, too, believe there is far too much winging on the forums these days. However, I also believe that players have the right to wing as much as they want (within the limits of forum rules). With the massive overhaul LOTRO underwent, we should expect an equally massive amount of winging. What bothers me is the numbing degree of duplication of winging threads. I get that everyone thinks their opinion is special and that simply adding their voice to the choir in an established winging thread could drown out their personal wing. But, aside from threads discussing specific issues (e.g., specific quests that are bugged or skills that don't work), I would prefer that all the winging be consolidated in a single thread. Such is my preference ... but is not likely to achieve fruition. So, instead, I just boycott the "general" winging threads. If you cull those threads from your forum diet, the winging does not seem so overwhelming.

So ... to recap: Winging about winging leads to winging about those who wing about wingers ... ad nauseam.

The people who don't hate the game, and they are many,
    aren't whingeing on the forums; they're in-game playing.

(My second-tier Minstrel finally completed her last class
    deed, yay.)
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I'm curious to know, but what the heck is "winging"? I know what whining is, but this other thing seems to be some sort of new phenomena to me. Is it like writing letters or posts that are taken up by messenger owls to the powers that be, like in Harry Potter or in certain mythological/fairy stories? Interesting.....

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post

deed, yay.)
    That number is fewer and fewer every day if the numbers of my server globallff or Steam charts is anything to go by. If you are happy with people leaving the game without voicing any concerns then keep on suggesting everything is rosy.

27. Dec 31 2013, 01:54 PM

deed, yay.)

But....you're on the forums quite frequently, and you seem to like the game very much from what I've seen of your posts.

Also, some people have a true passion for this game which is what leads them to voice their concerns, rightfully so. It's only natural to talk about something you love. Not everyone is a whiner, and frankly, I see more judgement coming from those who have no critiscms, calling out any one who doesn't have something glowing to say about the game. I love Tolkien and I love Lotro and I don't see why I can't voice my opinions about the things I don't agree with.
    Landroval, formerly of Riddermark
    Daerrandir (Champion) Daerendir (Hunter)

Quote Originally Posted by Araziel View Post
    I'm curious to know, but what the heck is "winging"? I know what whining is, but this other thing seems to be some sort of new phenomena to me. Is it like writing letters or posts that are taken up by messenger owls to the powers that be, like in Harry Potter or in certain mythological/fairy stories? Interesting.....
    It's a British term and it's actually spelled whinging or whingeing. Not sure why everybody adopted the misspelling from the OP. It just means complaining.

deed, yay.)
    I love Star Wars. Have done since it arrived here in the UK in 78. For me, The Empire Strikes Back will always be the best film. It had all the right ingredients: great plot with some nice twists, excellent overall atmosphere and Darth Vader at his best. Now, compare this to The Phantom Menace. Awful film with the plot all at sea, that bloody jajabinks and a 5 year old kid pod racing. Even the 3D version was subpar.

I still love star wars. Was great to see the series climax in The Revenge of the Sith, some bad acting accepted. But I detest whst Lucas Arts did with TPM and for me their reputation took a nose dive. Hoping that Disney gets the formula right with episode 7.

I feel about lotro in the same way. HD is my TPM. Does that mean I am a whinger?

edit -small typo.
    Last edited by BangoTwinkletoes; Dec 31 2013 at 03:49 PM.

I have no problem with this statement whatsoever. I am not speaking of the people that truly love this game and want to see it improved...count me in that crowd.

I am speaking about the haters....the ones that don't even play the game and come on here and just bash, every night and day 24/7.
    I still play the game about 3 days a week. Meanwhile many times I am labeled as a hater or even someone using a dummy account (even though I have over 400 posts). I think people who pay 40$ for an xpac and get what we got should be outraged and this is the only place to do so where anyone that matters remotely listens. While have said some positive things about the game 90% of my other posts are negative for a reason. Instead of labeling us haters why not take the time to find out why we are enjoying it less than you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast