We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Riddles

Quote Originally Posted by Tobex View Post
    Is it a map?
    It is indeed You're up Tobex.

Sorry for the delay, here is the next one. It's in the JRRT lore.

I have no hands
    I have no hair
    I don't attire
    I hardly age

My nose is sharp
    My sight is keen
    My eyes are gilded
    My movement is swift
    Tobex, Minstrel - Snowbourn

3. May 06 2014, 12:10 AM

I will go with Gwaihir. I am a bit uncertain about the gilded eyes, but I tell myself that perhaps there is a reference in the text to his eye color. I am less certain about the hardly aging line. I don't recall any guidance in the text about how long the Great Eagles lived. Still, that is my best guess at the moment.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

Quote Originally Posted by Vilnas View Post
    I will go with Gwaihir. I am a bit uncertain about the gilded eyes, but I tell myself that perhaps there is a reference in the text to his eye color. I am less certain about the hardly aging line. I don't recall any guidance in the text about how long the Great Eagles lived. Still, that is my best guess at the moment.
    Well, we know that Thorondor helped rescue Maedhros around the beginning of the First Age, and also participated in the War of Wrath at the end of that age, nearly 600 years later. Some people believe that Gwaihir and Landroval may have also been present during the First Age, but they were not named in the Silmarillion and so we don't know for sure.

At any rate, it does appear that the Great Eagles lived a long time, and I think your answer is a good one!
    "I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend," Faramir in TTT by JRRT.

Gwaihir it is, could also be Thorondor. I believe I have seen it being mentioned that their eye color was gold, not sure where though. As Wilros said, it is believed that the Great Eagles were granted a very long lifespan. Since they carried spirits akin to the Maiar, it is even possible that they were immortal. Anyway, good job again Vilnas, your turn!

Thank you. I considered going with Thorondor but decided there was more likely to be a description of Gwaihir's eyes in the text.

Now I shall have to come up with a new riddle worthy of the group.
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0920d00000003106c/signature.png]Celedriel[/charsig]

8. May 07 2014, 12:25 AM

Here is the next one, grounded in JRRT lore. Let's see if I was able to obscure it enough to make you work a bit.

Once grey beard's gift am I.
    Prized more than mounded treasure high
    By lord of mansions great
    Who urged 'gainst greed and reckless hate.

Just a wild guess and probably not even close but the only thing that I can think of is Narya.

It was given to Gandalf by Círdan who had a beard and his hair color was either grey or silver.
    I'm not sure about the last two lines nor how much you obscured the riddle. Perhaps it could refer to Círdan being the lord of Falas.

I'm kind of stuck on the "urge against". Not sure what you mean by that as a non native speaker.
    In this case my best guess would be the war against Morgoth or the remaining sons of Fëanor assaulting the Havens at the Mouth of Sirion.

Círdan who had a beard and his hair color was either grey or silver.
    This is exactly what I had in mind for that line. Well done!

However, I don't see how Narya fits the rest of the clue. Take Cirdan as your starting point and try and parse the other three lines of the riddle. Although those lines reference very small bits of the text, hopefully they aren't too obscure for this group.

I'm kind of stuck on the "urge against". Not sure what you mean by that as a non native speaker.
    How about "tried to talk someone out of"?

After going through my book I think I have found the answer, Nimphelos.

Círdan gave it Thingol along with other pearls. Later Thingol rewarded the Dwarves of Belegost with the pearls for aiding in the building of Menegroth.
    The Dwarves of Belegost prized Nimphelos above a mountain of wealth and they also tried to dissuade the Dwarves of Nogrod out of the war against Doriath.
    Last edited by Tobex; May 09 2014 at 09:38 AM.

After going through my book I think I have found the answer, Nimphelos.

Círdan gave it Thingol along with other pearls. Later Thingol rewarded the Dwarves of Belegost with the pearls for aiding in the building of Menegroth.
    The Dwarves of Belegost prized Nimphelos above a mountain of wealth and they also tried to dissuade the Dwarves of Nogrod out of the war against Doriath.
    Just so. Very nice work. You have the stick.

Thanks. That was a good riddle, especially the grey beard part was very clever. I have the next one ready, just need some time to style it.

Here you go.

I can be away for days or years.
    But when I appear,
    I can never leave again.
    I can be your worst nightmare,
    Or heal your deepest wounds.
    A cheater's ally I am not.

Is the answer truth?
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Quote Originally Posted by c_the_awesome View Post
    Is the answer truth?
    Truth it is indeed. Well done!

Sorry for the wait everyone, I was a bit busy with real life, I was a little sick, tired, and on top of it all was my birthday, so here is the riddle.

Spear of terror
    Shadow of despair
    I posses the power of three
    and all fear me
    Few withstand my power
    And far off is my doom
    Last edited by c_the_awesome; May 19 2014 at 03:55 AM.
    Chrisandir, man Captain 100 | Raxus dwarf Guardian 51 | Chrorin dwarf Hunter 30 | Strillo hobbit Burglar 3 | Butche man Champion 29 |
    | Falaminianteraglith dwarf Runekeeper 20 | Randu man Lore-master 17 | Nafthali woman Warden 12 |

Right, it took me a little while to think of this, but perhaps Morgoth? I'm not sure if this right because of "Spear of terror" I can't think of how it applies and "I posses the power of three" made me think of the Silmarils, but Morgoth never possessed the Silmarils power, just the Silmarils themselves.

no the answer is not in the first age

I assume another hint is in order.

This is my favorite bad guy in the Lord of the Rings

23. Jul 04 2014, 01:11 PM

The Witch-king of Angmar?
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    The Witch-king of Angmar?
    Yes, you're up.

Yes, you're up.
    Oh gosh...

They're dark and they're ugly
    and were birthed out of mud,
    they obey the dark wizard
    and their taste buds crave blood.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy

lets try Orcs

lets try Orcs
    Close, but a special breed of orcs.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast