We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is it really that bad?

Hello all,

VIP player since launch returning from a three year hiatus, thinking about rolling a new char on Gilrain for old time's sake. Is this server really so dead at low levels? Like, will my husband and I be alone in the whole wide world? Are there active kinships in the higher levels? Community events? What is the server community like in general? Is there anything we should know?

Thanks in advance.

This is from last weekend:

You're not alone
    [Juregar/Laurelin] [Jureon/Evernight] [Ragetrain/Laurelin]
    Member of Puliveivarit
    I was a corner survivor

That's what I like to see!

Thanks!

This server is not one of the most populated ones, but I think there is still a fair bit of action going on. It tends to be end-game toon heavy, but lately there have been also more low-level toons about in bree for example, and we have some "new-to-the-game" recruits in our Kinship as well. With no "classic raids" this season, some people started rerolling some low levels with the class changes, so I think you will be able to find company.

Of course cannot promise you guys anything, just saying my observation.
    Eredthelion ~ R9 Warden ~ Officer of Invicta
    Burzobtrosh ~ R9 Warleader ~ Member of Rogues Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Vesse View Post
    Hello all,

VIP player since launch returning from a three year hiatus, thinking about rolling a new char on Gilrain for old time's sake. Is this server really so dead at low levels? Like, will my husband and I be alone in the whole wide world? Are there active kinships in the higher levels? Community events? What is the server community like in general? Is there anything we should know?

Thanks in advance.
    At the moment, when compared to other servers, Gilrain is pretty much dead both at low levels and at cap.. With the next update, Sapience has suggested that it will be made the preferred server for newcomers, which should mean a rather heavy influx of new players. Evernight is currently the recommended server, and if you visit that server, you indeed see enormous amounts (I'm talking dozens) of low-lvls walking around Bree, etc. (Though from following glff, I'd say it's roughly equally quiet at level cap, at least when it comes to running instances with non-kin.) On Gilrain, there are still a number of active kinships, but many are quasi-inactive as well, so it may or may not 'do' depending on what you hope to get out of kinship membership. If you want to run around with groups, you might want to wait a little while until 12.2 goes live; if you want to start now, I'd personally recommend you have a look at a few other servers (Withy/EverNight/Eldar) as well.

The difficulty I always found with Gilrain is not the high-level areas or the low level areas but the bits in between. It is still relatively common to find groups going into the barrows instance but after lvl 25 there is a painful gap (28 - 50 ish) till Moria and then another painful gap (65 - 80 ish) till the Rohirrim zones.

That said if you join a reasonable kin there are always people levelling up alts the old fashioned way rather than just get an end game friend to run them through all the content. Failing that if you duo with one of you taking a "tankish" class and the other with some kind of healing you'll be fine and will pick up randoms to do instances/groups etc.

Sadly though, outside the prime times gilrain is pretty quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by rannion View Post
    At the moment, when compared to other servers, Gilrain is pretty much dead both at low levels and at cap.. With the next update, Sapience has suggested that it will be made the preferred server for newcomers, which should mean a rather heavy influx of new players.
    Oh Hell! I only just recently moved from Evernight to Gilrain to get away from all the bloody new characters and overcrowding. Just bought a load of XP disablers, riding skills and virtues etc there too! What a waste of my TP! I suppose I'll have to find another nice quiet server to play on, any recommendations for a low population server that isn't going to be recommended server for a very long time?

Its not one of the most populated server for sure but there are quite a few good kins around and many players have alts of various levels I am sure.
    Your more than welcome to check us out in Unity (thread below) . As well as doing a few raids a week we like to do social content also ie hide farming runs for all levels, skirmish/instance nights for all levels, in kin crafting for any needs of players, horse racing events and more. A lot of us are in our 30's/40's so there is no pressure on members to log on at certain times as we know everyone has other commitments and we have been a guild/kinship now since 2005 and in Lotro since 2009, but if you find yourself lonely out there, there are plenty of helpful and chatty people ingame in various kins

Thanks everyone for your input. My husband and I both started new characters on Gilrain. We're still getting used to all of the changes; I think it's been almost three years since we logged in so we're both scratching our heads at the new trait system. We rushed through the prologue because I've made that many alts over the years I couldn't bear to face Ered Luin again, so now we're level 17/18 and in Bree. We've seen a very few players, but since we're being extremely casual this time around that's okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziso View Post
    Its not one of the most populated server for sure but there are quite a few good kins around and many players have alts of various levels I am sure.
    Your more than welcome to check us out in Unity (thread below) . As well as doing a few raids a week we like to do social content also ie hide farming runs for all levels, skirmish/instance nights for all levels, in kin crafting for any needs of players, horse racing events and more. A lot of us are in our 30's/40's so there is no pressure on members to log on at certain times as we know everyone has other commitments and we have been a guild/kinship now since 2005 and in Lotro since 2009, but if you find yourself lonely out there, there are plenty of helpful and chatty people ingame in various kins
    Thank you! I think as we level up we'll certainly want to join a kinship and Unity sounds perfect. Now if I could just remember how the chat system works...

Quote Originally Posted by Vesse View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. My husband and I both started new characters on Gilrain. We're still getting used to all of the changes; I think it's been almost three years since we logged in so we're both scratching our heads at the new trait system. We rushed through the prologue because I've made that many alts over the years I couldn't bear to face Ered Luin again, so now we're level 17/18 and in Bree. We've seen a very few players, but since we're being extremely casual this time around that's okay.

Thank you! I think as we level up we'll certainly want to join a kinship and Unity sounds perfect. Now if I could just remember how the chat system works...
    Please don't feel you need to level up higher to join us, as all levels from level 1 are equally welcome with us and we do lots of content for all levels of players including hide farming runs. Just our next weeks planned events:
    01/28/2014 to 01/28/2014 Erebor 12 man Raids lvl 90
    01/28/2014 to 01/28/2014 Erebor 12 mans level 95**
    01/30/2014 to 01/30/2014 Skirmish Raids
    02/02/2014 to 02/02/2014 Deeping Wall Raid (lvl10+)
    02/02/2014 to 02/02/2014 Draigoch Raid
    So as you can see we do raids for level 10+ also who upscale and they are done in a fun casual way, nothing hardcore, so lack of experience does not matter as we talk others through the raid.
    Welcome to join us anytime
    Ziso