We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Promotional point Deed

Does anyone know what the new deed "Promotional Point I & II" are for and how to get more points?

They are tied to promotion points in big battles. I believe the first trait point comes with 100 promotional points earned in BBs, the second comes at 200 points (unless it got changed before going live). The only way to earn more promotion points is to continue to do big battles of different sizes and earn additional medals you have not previously earned.

EDIT: Nope, confirmed the trait points are at 100 promotion points and 200 promotion points.
    Last edited by Beaniemooch; Apr 14 2014 at 11:23 PM.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

7 trait points for $

So now there are what, about 7 trait points that can only be acquired with the purchase of helms deep? Personally i cant stand Big battles long enough to even finish one. Let alone medal 200 times...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/0a20b0000001c536b/01003/signature.png]undefined[/charsig]

Agreed about the Big Battles. I have 5 level 95 toons and only one has finished the epic portion of the battles. I hated it so much that I didn't bother with the rest of my toons. Now, unfortunately, I don't have a choice but to finish the epic battle portion or I can't move on to Book 14. I am truly dreading this.
    [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/Zaggles/Calli.png[/IMG]
    [color=#ffa500]Windfola[/color] - Calliazen [color=#ffa500]|[/color] [color=#d3d3d3]Raveesheth[/color] [color=#ffa500]|[/color] Toeknee [color=#ffa500]|[/color] [color=#d3d3d3]Orleyvore[/color] [color=#ffa500]|[/color] Dolanoris [color=#ffa500]|[/color] [color=#d3d3d3]Wahmart[/color]
    [color=#ffa500]Elendilmir[/color] - [color=#d3d3d3]Derbee[/color] [color=#ffa500]|[/color] Rozey[/center]

Quote Originally Posted by hanedizzle View Post
    So now there are what, about 7 trait points that can only be acquired with the purchase of helms deep? Personally i cant stand Big battles long enough to even finish one. Let alone medal 200 times...
    It's not just getting medals 200 times. It's *different* medals in different size battles. It's far more than 200 medals.
    I'd explain it to you, but I'm all out of Puppets and Crayons.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    GLADDEN: Moochy, 105 Minstrel R10 + alts CRICKHOLLOW: Moochy, 21 Minstrel

Another way to get Promotion Points is to buy them in the Lotro Store. Pay 395 Turbine Points to get 10 Promotion Points.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

To get 200 promotion points you would have to do several hundred battles, including the 12 man. Its infeasible, unless you only have a single char and are in a Kin that regularly runs the 12 man battle, which almost no one is. If they want to entice us to grind, the grind has to be realistic. This is not. Its a move in the wrong direction.

I have done maybe 50 big battles and I have 201 points. It certainly does not require several hundred runs. And I've only done about half of the raid side quests to any medal.

Remember you can get platinum medals straight away? All platinum run nets you something like close to 20 points already. And since you can do the solos with a friend who's experienced you can get them rather quick too. By doing a little research you will find that which quests you get in bb are dependant of which place you get the first waves in, so you can actually zoom in on the side quests you are missing.

Getting 100+ points takes maybe 2 days and 10 bb runs, 200 takes more time and will require some group runs for the 3 and 6 men. Spending a month doing few big battles each day does not seem too much of an effort to me. Especially since we are hunting the last missing trait point here, the top tier of your character so to speak...
    Leader of Lore Breakers - www.lorebreakers.com

Two minutes in heaven

Quote Originally Posted by MithrielWielder View Post
    To get 200 promotion points you would have to do several hundred battles, including the 12 man. Its infeasible, unless you only have a single char and are in a Kin that regularly runs the 12 man battle, which almost no one is. If they want to entice us to grind, the grind has to be realistic. This is not. Its a move in the wrong direction.
    It depends on how much better you do for each battle. You only get points when you achieve a new higher award for the main quest or a side quest. You run a Big Battle for which you previously got Platinum awards for everything - there is no possible Promotion Points to acquire.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Well, there are two deeds that wont ever be leveled past 0. I hated BB so much I left my 95 on the shelf and went back to raising alts.
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

Sorry, no offense intended, but have You been in hibernation during the last months? Never looked in the forums and realized why so many players dislike BB?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirlith View Post
    I have done maybe 50 big battles and I have 201 points. It certainly does not require several hundred runs. And I've only done about half of the raid side quests to any medal.
    Good for you. All my 95s have done every BB exactly 1x just to advance the epics. That was the most boring experience I had in a game ever. Even grinding mobs for deeds is more interesting because at least you can do anything.

And since you can do the solos with a friend who's experienced you can get them rather quick too.
    If I choose the solo option then I expect to be able to do it solo. Everything else is lazy and/or bad programming. Additionally, basically all my Kinship members and most of my friends either never purchased HD or stopped playing stortly after release.

By doing a little research you will find that which quests you get in bb are dependant of which place you get the first waves in, so you can actually zoom in on the side quests you are missing.
    Nope, I am here to play a game and find some distraction after 10+ hours at work. I do not want to waste my time with online research etc.

Getting 100+ points takes maybe 2 days and 10 bb runs, 200 takes more time and will require some group runs for the 3 and 6 men. Spending a month doing few big battles each day does not seem too much of an effort to me.
    Again, BB are awefully boring. There is no way I will spend several hours a day for a month doing something that mindnumbling. I did not level my chars to 95 as champ/rk/etc just to completely ignore it at level cap.

Especially since we are hunting the last missing trait point here, the top tier of your character so to speak...
    Gating trait point behind BBs just to force players to buy HD and deal with a disliked feature is simple bad business.
    I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people. ... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

You seem to be resisting new things just for sake of it or for the high and mighty goal of aggravating people over the internets.

Without the missing 2 trait points your character is able to reach something like 99.9 % efficiency. With that few days of work and getting 100 bb points you would reach 99.98 % efficiency. Spend your time grinding Entwood quests to get a chance on the golden armour pieces will certainly net you a bigger character improvement than those two trait points ever will and since you find grinding same quests 100 times more interesting than a new mechanic there should be nothing to keep you from it.

If there is a new mechanic which offers a way to get gear, a teeny tiny bit of trait advancement, a virtual achievement board and sort of character developement (=time sink) which doesn't even really take anything away from me (unless we count the dev hours which could be spent on other content), I'm ok with it. It would be nice to have new instances and raids but they don't seem to be headed that way.

Forcing to buy HD for *2* trait points is rather bad example. One could just as well be gated to stay at lvl 85 if you don't buy the expansion. Missing out on 0.1 % character potential seems rather miniscule penalty compared to that. And of course they want you to buy the expansion, they're a business aiming to make money. I'm also sure they want you to try playing every type of content that they've put their time into making, seemingly so badly that they even put the trait points as a reward.

I'm not saying bbs don't have problems and I probably wont be running them much past 100 promo points on my alts (I figure you get to about that if you do them for all jewelry slots) but missing out on 2 trait points is meaningless unless you want to reach that 100% char potential instead of 99.9%. And in case you really want to get that 100% then be prepared to put in the hours to the point where it just isn't fun. Be it from grinding bbs, grinding skraids, grinding entwood dailies or what ever other grinds there are.
    Leader of Lore Breakers - www.lorebreakers.com

Two minutes in heaven

Not gonna go for the 2 points, but...

I'm not a fan of BBs either (in fact, after the 1st one for the epic, I just loaded the BB, walked away from the comp, and came back 20 min later to get through them all). And even with the maybe 8 BBs I've run, I have 22 promotion points. Will I be hammering BBs until I get my 200 points? Uh, no. Not a chance. But I also agree that, if you want to cap out your toon, you've got to do the time. I've never found grinding for gear or other rewards worth it because I know the next expansion is going to start out dropping ###### gear that is better than all that gear it took forever to grind. I learned my lesson there when Mirkwood came out after the Moria gear. I decided then and there I'd never waste my time doing that again.

But as mentioned before, this is a business and it's incredibly intelligent to do this sort of gating for points because Turbine/WB knows that there are people out there that will by HD (if they didn't have it before) for the express purpose of getting those 2 points or wanting to grab all the acheivements the game has to offer. I applaud them for it. It's just smart business. And if you don't like, then don't do it. Turbine/WB also knows that's going to happen, so you know what they did? Gave you other content that you can feel free to do instead.

Unless they tweak the epic battles to the point that I feel like I am playing my class then the 2 points is not worth the aggravation. I tried to take my alts through it. But it makes me hate the BB more and I do not want to hate them. I just do not want to be an engineer, officer or a vanguard. I want to be a LM where my CC is useful, a warden where I can get more then 1 gambit off, a hunter that can pull aggro, a RK that can keep my attunement up (better then in the beginning), a burg that can do something related to being a burg, a champ - well my champ actually works the best and that is not saying much, a minnie that can do things other then spending time healing banners, a guard where I can pull aggro and keep it, and a captain - well actually I haven't taken my captain there.

I am one that actually likes skirmishes. I have 3 or 4 that I routinely play. I like playing at t3 and I like the variations of the Lieutenants and encounters. I love trying new tactics, pushing my limit and honing my skills. It has made me a much better player. One of the hype concerning big battles was that BB were the bigger cousins of skirmishes. I was extremely excited about this prospect. Instead, BB is no kin of skirmishes. Instead they are identity stealing impostors. They are the bigger cousin of session play just with better rewards. I hope this changes!
    they are all dead.. they just don't know it yet....

I really hate BBs too, but think about it. All of the Moria instance deeds have virtues attached to them, and if you don't do those deeds, you aren't awarded that extra rank of the virtues. Same with BBs. You don't finish the deeds, you don't get the two extra Trait points.

Quote Originally Posted by SjsharksBoy View Post
    I really hate BBs too, but think about it. All of the Moria instance deeds have virtues attached to them, and if you don't do those deeds, you aren't awarded that extra rank of the virtues. Same with BBs. You don't finish the deeds, you don't get the two extra Trait points.
    There are major differences between the virtues and the trait points - there are limits set to how high you can rank any specific virtue and the total number of available points is often quite higher than the limit on the virtue. I would not have a problem if trait points were approached this way, where BBs are just one of many different avenues one can traverse to hit a max in trait points. (i.e. extra point for the instance cluster meta deeds, extra points for the Skirmisher of Middle-Earth, extra points for rebuilding Hytbold/Wildermore, extra points for Reputation meta deeds, extra points for BB deeds, extra points for <fill in the blank>, etc.)

I personally just do not enjoy the gameplay of BBs enough nor do I find the RNG reward system enticing enough to want to play.
    [u][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEsCKAb7r0"]Sauron vs. Tom Bombadil[/url][/u][COLOR="Red"] [/color][COLOR="Orange"] A fun what-if video I hope brings a smile[/color][COLOR="Red"][/color]

Quote Originally Posted by Fipiara View Post
    I personally just do not enjoy the gameplay of BBs enough nor do I find the RNG reward system enticing enough to want to play.
    Also. The moria quests you only had to run once for the class trait (now trait point)

The epic battles must be run over and over again to reach 200 points. It can't be done in a single day even if you want Its the grindest long term lasting character impact yet. But what about Hytbold gear you say? Only had to do it once to get it on all your classes and gear resets every expansion. Class trait points? Nope. They're almost sure to last the remaining lifetime of the game.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

Angry Big Battles

Quote Originally Posted by Dwithabinit View Post
    Agreed about the Big Battles. I have 5 level 95 toons and only one has finished the epic portion of the battles. I hated it so much that I didn't bother with the rest of my toons. Now, unfortunately, I don't have a choice but to finish the epic battle portion or I can't move on to Book 14. I am truly dreading this.
    Same problem. Got three done with Helms Deep for the book, but after the change can't get my LM done. The mobs are now like ants that swarm your field commanders and Gamli. This may be possible if you had some skills to use for there but just starting out with none and solo like it claims no longer works. It is really messed up. NO ONE wants to do the HD stuff either to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnipurake View Post
    Sorry, no offense intended, but have You been in hibernation during the last months? Never looked in the forums and realized why so many players dislike BB?

Good for you. All my 95s have done every BB exactly 1x just to advance the epics. That was the most boring experience I had in a game ever. Even grinding mobs for deeds is more interesting because at least you can do anything.

If I choose the solo option then I expect to be able to do it solo. Everything else is lazy and/or bad programming. Additionally, basically all my Kinship members and most of my friends either never purchased HD or stopped playing stortly after release.

Nope, I am here to play a game and find some distraction after 10+ hours at work. I do not want to waste my time with online research etc.

Again, BB are awefully boring. There is no way I will spend several hours a day for a month doing something that mindnumbling. I did not level my chars to 95 as champ/rk/etc just to completely ignore it at level cap.

Gating trait point behind BBs just to force players to buy HD and deal with a disliked feature is simple bad business.
    Haha Epic post. Keep it up.

Yeah I bust my butt trying to get a single freakin Promotion point. The whole thing is a convoluted, complicated, excessively difficult mess for soloers. All it's missing is the Benny Hill music.

Two big battles now and not a single promotion point. Biggest pile of junk ever shoveled out of Turbine.

You seem to be resisting new things just for sake of it or for the high and mighty goal of aggravating people over the internets.

Right back at ya, fangirl

Old thread, but since I was looking for it and here it is, might as well add something for new people looking for info on this.

Class trainers now (now sure about previously) sell an item at lvl 58 that gives you all your unearned class deed trait points for 2 silver. I'm assuming it also earns you these two points. I haven't verified that yet though.

I believe you must have used an Aria of the Valar or one of its variations to be able to do so.

See the following for a detailed discussion on this subject.

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Class_Trait_Point
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Hafadek View Post
    Old thread, but since I was looking for it and here it is, might as well add something for new people looking for info on this.

Class trainers now (now sure about previously) sell an item at lvl 58 that gives you all your unearned class deed trait points for 2 silver. I'm assuming it also earns you these two points. I haven't verified that yet though.
    The requirement on those items is "Novice: Aria of the Valar"

From Aria of the Valar Trait Points wiki page:

It also does not grant the 2 Class Trait Points available for Promotion Points in Epic Battles.

Promotion Trait points....oof (dejected frown face emoted)

I managed to get the first Trait point (100 promotion points).

I am resigned to always being 1 point short of my capabilities.
    I will not go back and do more BBs to just complete boring, repetitive feces for what may be forever (since I'm just not much of a grouping-guy).

If I hafta do group-runs in HD to complete BBs, I will do without that last Trait point.

Spending LPs on advancement is not what I do.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.