We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chance Thomas return to LOTRO petition

Hi all,

if the music of LOTRO is as important a part of the gaming experience to you as it is to me, I would urge you to please check out and sign this petition in order that the return of the game's original musical composer from start to Rohan, Chance Thomas, become's more likely. This petition enjoys the support of Chance Thomas himself. LOTRO deserves epic music from this talented guy, and a move away from the sub-standard entires seen in Helms Deep and the Western Gondor update.

https://www.change.org/petitions/tur...sical-composer

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Elderwiser View Post
    Hi all,

if the music of LOTRO is as important a part of the gaming experience to you as it is to me, I would urge you to please check out and sign this petition in order that the return of the game's original musical composer from start to Rohan, Chance Thomas, become's more likely. This petition enjoys the support of Chance Thomas himself. LOTRO deserves epic music from this talented guy, and a move away from the sub-standard entires seen in Helms Deep and the Western Gondor update.

Thank you

As much as I appreciate the sentiment here because I also love his work, I think it's pretty obvious that he is no longer working for them due to budgetary restrictions. So if they pay for his soundtrack, then something else has to go, namely content development.

Being a musician myself I get the importance of great mood music, but since this is a game *personally* I'd rather the money went toward development of more content rather than soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Caernach View Post
    As much as I appreciate the sentiment here because I also love his work, I think it's pretty obvious that he is no longer working for them due to budgetary restrictions. So if they pay for his soundtrack, then something else has to go, namely content development.

Being a musician myself I get the importance of great mood music, but since this is a game *personally* I'd rather the money went toward development of more content rather than soundtrack.
    I hear you, but to a lot of people, myself included, music is a fundamentally important part of middle-earth in any medium; whether game, movie, audio drama or independent efforts. I really feel Turbine decision makers are doing themselves a disservice by slapping a poor quality soundtrack against their new content. To me, at least, it results in a diminished experience and the game is poorer for it.

The petition has reached its halfway stage of its initial target within its first 24 hours. Keep sharing and spreading the word, and the very least we can do is show Turbine that we care :-)

Petitions and Polls are against the TOS/COC. Expect this thread to be closed even if the topic is a "nice one".
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by SabrielofLorien View Post
    Petitions and Polls are against the TOS/COC. Expect this thread to be closed even if the topic is a "nice one".
    I believe that the petitions/polls only apply to petitions such as the following example:

Person: THIS IS A PETITION FOR TURBINE TO IMPLEMENT OBJECT XYZ

Player1: /signed

Player2: /signed

Player3: /signed

Player4: /unsigned...

This might be why they include the part about: Long threads of /signed and /unsigned don't help us.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    I believe that the petitions/polls only apply to petitions such as the following example:

Person: THIS IS A PETITION FOR TURBINE TO IMPLEMENT OBJECT XYZ

Player1: /signed

Player2: /signed

Player3: /signed

Player4: /unsigned...

This might be why they include the part about: Long threads of /signed and /unsigned don't help us.
    Indeed, that does seem to be the rules; as it is, directing people who read the forum to a peaceful petition on an external link does not seem to break the spirit of the forums or its rules

Indeed, that does seem to be the rules; as it is, directing people who read the forum to a peaceful petition on an external link does not seem to break the spirit of the forums or its rules
    Perhaps not. There are official requests to vote for Dragon Slayer awards but afaik those are sanctioned by Turbine. The new CM Frelorn may chose to leave this up but if it gets closed you'll know why.

It doesn't do much good at all to have a petition on an external site. The devs may or may not follow external petitions. You might follow up with this same topic in the suggestions forum and maybe post it as a request for the next Q&A when it comes up.
    Whoever says “I” creates the “you.” Such is the trap of every conscience. The “I” signifies both solitude and rejection of solitude. Words name things and then replace them. Whoever says tomorrow, denies it. Tomorrow exists only for him who does not seek it. And yesterday? Yesterday is Kolvillàg: a name to forget, a word already forgotten.

The Oath: A Novel by Elie Wiesel

There are a few things that this sort of thing doesn't take into consideration.
    1) What if Mr. Thomas doesn't want to work with WB/Turbine again? Numerous resons why this might be so.
    2) By posting such a a petition, you tell WB/Turbine that you're willing to go further for this. Suddenly the 'Minas Tirith' expansion jumps from $60 to $160. Are you willing to pay for the upgrade? Not everyone will or can.
    3) As a reverse of 1, what if Turbine/WB don't want to work with Mr. Thomas for various reasons?
    All your petition does is show that people liked the music and would like to hear more. But it does not show any commitment to do anything other than /sign a petition. Maybe try a kick-starter?
    Feadel Morauko
    Brotherhood of Crimson Knights
    "Peace must prevail, even if the wicked must die." - Jasmine Boreal

I would love to see the return of Chance Thomas, however saying that, the price of hiring Thomas might be too much at this point.
    ~ WhiteTalpa ~

Hi all- an update for you on the petition:

1- We now have over 200 signatures from fans of LOTRO and Chance all over the world who have thrown their support behind the petition. This is a great return and really gives a genuine power behind the aim.

2- Turbine have not, as yet, responded to the email address for PR they display on their website. However, they should be aware of the petition if somebody is checking the inbox of this email address.

3- Is there anybody on the Player's Council who could get in touch with me regarding this, or does anyone here know of the contact details of anybody on the Player's Council?

4- If you haven't already, please sign, share and spread the word of this very worthwhile petition which cntinues to gather momentum :-) thank you!

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...sical-composer

Though this is a thread of older times, I have just now stumbled upon it after looking for something related to the LotRO music, and it made me think of the upcoming areas (and I thought to not start a new thread since we have this one).

While we have seen certainly an improvement with the music for Minas Tirith, and the Battle of the Pelennor, the music that Chance Thomas created has left a mark in the history of LotRO. His work shows how well he could compose the sound of Middle-earth fitting for the game, especially when compared to some other music of other areas (such as Mirkwood) that was bereft of his work. Many of the songs have that quality and awe in them that add greatly to the experience and immersion. Music can be powerful in waking emotions and complementing and enriching the experience. And in a setting such as this one, it should surely not be overlooked.

Elderwiser, if you are here still, or come again in after days, I too merely wanted to give my thanks for setting in motion this movement. I followed this on the petition page and was glad to see so much support in such a short time. But is there no further progress or any news to share? If it is still going, there are many sources available at hand where it can be shared and I will gladly help in that too.

Chance Thomas wrote a post about this at the time saying:

'Looks like we've come to the end of an era.

I need to thank you for your remarkable support over the years. I’m not sure a composer could have a better playground than Middle-earth, or a more gracious community to share it with. I only wish I could have done more – Osgiliath, Minas Tirith, the Black Gates… so much music left unwritten!

You should know that there were brief discussions with new management about bringing me back. But compared to other aspects of the game, music just wasn’t a high priority for them. Resources are tight and they have a large dev team to support. So today they let me know that they are going to keep the music in-house. After toying with the idea of coming back, that was hard news to hear. Sigh.

So there it is. Many of you have written to me, posted on various forums and blogs, and even circulated a petition. That's all been fantastic! Please know how much your support and encouragement have meant to me over the years, and especially lately. Meanwhile, I hope you will continue to enjoy the game you love, all the way to the very end. Remember, the road goes ever on and on…!'

I can recall still that first time when I reached the walls of Moria and that music started: it filled me with a sense of momentum and excitement adding to the experience of seeing that iconic place. Like I have said before, it is like the music itself serves as a herald of the great and dark journey ahead awaiting in Moria, the legendary ancient home of the dwarves. It shows of the power it has to rouse emotion and thought, making it one of the most memorable and thrilling moments in the course of the game. It shows of the great skill Chance Thomas has in enriching the experience and immersion of the game.

The Return of Chance Thomas

The Return of the Sound of Middle-earth, The Sound of LotRO

Make it happen
    Last edited by Erennor; Aug 14 2016 at 09:18 PM.

We now have over 200 signatures
    That's pretty small. About 35k accounts logged on across all servers was the norm back in 2012. Most accounts aren't logged on at any given time. 200 is just a fraction of one percent of the total player base.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.

Hi all,

Thank you
    For a moment I thought this thread was about Clarence Thomas returning to LOTRO and I got really excited.

Yes, let's trade whoever is the current uninspired assembler of derivative music for the old uninspired assembler of derivative music. The old one's music sounds much more like Ennio Morricone's than the current one's does. And isn't sounding like Ennio Morricone what it's really all about?

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Yes, let's trade whoever is the current uninspired assembler of derivative music for the old uninspired assembler of derivative music. The old one's music sounds much more like Ennio Morricone's than the current one's does. And isn't sounding like Ennio Morricone what it's really all about?
    Oh man, I would love for LOTRO to have the "ecstasy of gold"!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Banaticus View Post
    That's pretty small. About 35k accounts logged on across all servers was the norm back in 2012. Most accounts aren't logged on at any given time. 200 is just a fraction of one percent of the total player base.

While it is indeed a small percentage of the whole playerbase, likely enough most players simply were/are not aware of it. And above it is written that more than two hundred gathered for this only in the first day. Considering this many showed their support in such a short amount of time, and likely enough without most players knowing about it, it is a good, indicative, and heartening number.
    Last edited by Erennor; Aug 15 2016 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erennor View Post
    While it is indeed a small percentage of the whole playerbase, likely enough most players simply were/are not aware of it. And above it is written that more than two hundred gathered for this only in the first day. Considering this many showed their support in such a short amount of time, and likely enough without most players knowing about it, it is a good, indicative, and heartening number.
    Essentially you are saying that because no one can prove it's an insignificant amount, it must be a significant amount.

Tbh, I'm impressed with the music surrounding MT. While CT is awesome, we don't need him.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by maxjenius View Post
    Essentially you are saying that because no one can prove it's an insignificant amount, it must be a significant amount.

If we expand more on this, considering that:

• a look at the forum servers shows a great number of music events throughout the years, (and there are even more of these threads than what we can now see due to their loss that came by the new forums, and let us not forget of the Codemasters forum too),
    • the largest recurring event of the game with record numbers of people not only attending, but also watching/listening from other sources outside the game, is a musical event - Weatherstock,
    • there are entire kinships, and other kinless groups dedicated in that aspect of the game out of their love for music and song,
    • the high views LotRO soundracks and single music pieces have on youtube,
    • and that by far the most common reasons people report of coming/returning to LotRO are Middle-earth, immersion, and the story of The Lord of the Rings (as repeatedly shown through the words, impressions, and longings of players from the beginning of the game on multiple sources), the experience all of which can be complemented greatly by melody.

All point to greater likelihood that it is, at the very least, not an insignificant amount. In contrast, it naturally comes to mind to wonder what tokens there are available that suggest the opposite and outweigh all the above.
    Last edited by Erennor; Aug 15 2016 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chodelet View Post
    For a moment I thought this thread was about Clarence Thomas returning to LOTRO and I got really excited.
    Me too, except the "excited" part, unless he stepped down from SCOTUS to be a Game Guru...
    Kinships: Fifth Star Vagabonds on Crickhollow (Dotswith); Random Access on Arkenstone (Dottiel)

I gotta read threads slower. I swore this thread read "Clarance Thomas returns to Lotro" and wondering why a supreme court justice would even be here,

Truthfully the minas tirith music has been some of the best scores to ever come out of the game, including all of Thomas' work. To me at least. The 200 signatures, while cool i guess, is indeed a very small percentage of the player population, especially given the growth of players this year so far with new raiding content and excellent content updates. It just seems unnecessary to slice off resources for 'professional' music composition when we continue to receive great soundtracks and for at least part of the player base, music serves as only a secondary background aspect of the game. If it is on at all.
    Frodo shot first.

Its a shame Turbine had to go for cheaper music, Chance Thomas did amazing work.

The Helms Deep soundtrack was bloody awful, horrible, horrible midi synth rubbish.

Western Gondor wasnt that much better, but to be fair, the music for Minas Tirith has been pretty good.

Its a shame we never got the "Chance" to hear Mr Thomas's version of Gondor & MT.
    Hunter & alts on Snowborne since 2007, now on Evernight.

Yea, sadly more than a few areas are bereft of his music and so lose that inspiring element that previous areas have: Mirkwood, Helm's Deep, Gondor, and I think, the areas that came with the Rise of Isengard expansion too. But, it seems to me that there is a hint of hopeful news too since they have considered a possible upcoming expansion. Maybe he will return back for that.

In any case, from what there is to see, and as his open words above show, if asked, it seems that Chance Thomas would be still willing to compose music for LotRO.

Last edited by Erennor; Aug 21 2016 at 08:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast