We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Beornings' Role

Beornings' Role

Okay, I have a few questionses about Beornings...

My main curiosity is this: what is the primary role of a Beorning? All the other classes have a primary role and a secondary role. (e.g. Minstrel = main role is healing, secondary is dps. LM = main role is CC, secondary dps. Champ = main role dps, secondary tanking, etc.) From what I've seen, Beornings have three primary roles (can main heal, dps and tank). Is that actually intended??

For example, imagine if they suddenly upped Guardians' damage and gave them the ability to heal a fellowship? Or made it so Wardens could heal a fellowship? Or maybe made it so a hunter could tank and heal too. Or even so minis could tank. There'd be an uproar and outcry for the ages.

But it seems to me that Beornings are actually designed to be top-tier healer and tank and damage. It's like a captain but moreso ... cappies have been described as "the 80% class" - they can do about 80% of the damage of the top tier damage classes, can tank about 80% as well as a dedicated tank, and can heal about 80% as well as a dedicated healer.

Beornings, it would seem, are the 100% class.

Yes? No? Thoughts....
    lvl 105 Guardian | 105 Mini | 64 Hunter | 48 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Twitch.tv/Arathaert | Youtube.com/ArathaertTV | Guardian Guide

I believe Beornings are still an 80% class, but in different ways. In the Blue Line, they are 80% of a Guardian blue tank but with a better self heal at lower levels. In the Red Line, they are 80% Champion damage dealer with a little Captain healing thrown in. In the Yellow Line, they are probably more like a healing cappy, but with better direct damage. But keep in mind with medium armor, they are still squishier than a guardian, cappy, or champ.

Where they do excel is in single target burst damage, especially in bear form. The only melee class I've seen do that is maybe a Red Line burglar, but without the sneak requirement and not on the opening blows. With stronger self heals than a Burglar, they can keep a high damage output until their Wrath drains out. They work especially well around areas that have a lot of sigs and elites running around, not necessarily bosses (Minas Eriol, Dol DInen, etc.).

In terms of role, I would assign them nominally as Single Target DPS melee class. So that would substitute for a Red traited Guardian/Captain/Champion.
    Last edited by Gladnagl; Nov 20 2014 at 03:59 PM.
    Landroval EN-RP -- Club Eclaire: Galdhron-Elf LM, Twostep-Human Burg, Medloth Bearlady-Beorning || Laurelin EN-RP -- For RP; Join Club Slotro; bit.ly/slowtro

Good to know. Thanks for the reply!
    lvl 105 Guardian | 105 Mini | 64 Hunter | 48 Warden | Lukiluk - r10 Warg | r6 Defiler | r6 WL

Personally, I feel that the Beorning excels as a off-tank support class. Like Captains, they have to be in the thick of things to (effectively) maintain their supportive capabilities, with heals/debuffs/soft cc/tankiness.

In yellow line, they make for excellent single-target healers with respectable debuffs and a fear skill. They do have some good AoE heals, but they're not as potent as the single-targets.
    In blue line, they aren't as tanky or as effective at grabbing aggro as Guardians, but have very decent sustain, debuffs and tankiness which makes them great for off-tanking.
    Red line is probably the least impressive for group content, simply because Champions trump them in AoE damage and Burglars beat them in single-target; the only utility you have is a 15% physical mitigation shred (Expose is a buff rather than a debuff, which means nobody else can take advantage of it). I agree that their burst is rather insane, but sustained damage tends to be more valued for group content, and Beornings lose out in that category.
    [IMG]http://i61.tinypic.com/28mns0o.jpg[/IMG]

Hmm. Good info.

Do they have the passive +threat % bonus in tanking mode like Guards do?

Blue (Tank) Beornings have at least 3 force attacks I know of, also passive threat build, and if you lose aggro, transfer an ally's incoming damage to yourself.

Bear form: (very easy to basically stay in bear form while tanking), bear form permanent +20% morale buff

Vigilant Roar: single target force attack, 5 second duration, reflect 30% of incoming damage to the target, cooldown 16 seconds.
    Relentless Maul: unlimited target frontal attack, forced attack 5 seconds.
    Sacrifice: on ally, -60% damage mitigation buff, transfers incoming damage to the Beorning. transfers 30% threat to the Beorning.

Man form you get a +20% morale buff.
    -3+% mob damage debuff x5 targets
    -10% debuff outgoing damage on main target
    5 second forced attack x5 targets, 13 second cooldown

Also, every 60 seconds, if Beorning morale drops below 20%, they receive 20% morale heal with +50 wrath.
    Also, Every parry/evade stacks an armor buff.

It reminds me a bit of the old blue champion, but with much better forced taunts, threat transfer, reflect threat, reflect damage to generate threat, strong self-heals with the added bonus of almost a shield wall type skill.

With an outstanding skill rotation, I'd trust a beorning to tank most everything, but you'll have to practice runs with the beorning to make sure they know the class well enough, which is a lot like blue champions.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

Quote Originally Posted by Leixy View Post
    Relentless Maul: unlimited target frontal attack, forced attack 5 seconds.
    Wow. Unlimited targets ... that's crazy.

It reminds me a bit of the old blue champion, but with much better forced taunts, threat transfer, reflect threat, reflect damage to generate threat, strong self-heals with the added bonus of almost a shield wall type skill.
    You also said passive threat build... so they do have the passive +% threat?

With an outstanding skill rotation, I'd trust a beorning to tank most everything.
    See this is my issue ... would you say the same about Beornings for healing things?

the only major problem I see facing healer (yellow) and tank (blue) beornings in pve is in situations where you have to stop dps on a boss due to boss buffs.

Examples: Dar Narbugud, Icy Crevasse tier 3 skraid, Battle for Erebor t2, Fires of Smaug t2, OD Gortheron t2c, fornost fire t2c

Since Beornings need to keep burning and gaining wrath to stay effective, this would likely cause a tank to lose aggro to a healer, or for a heal beorning to run out of wrath before they can start again.

I would not take a beorning tank or healer for these situations, only as dps.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

the only major problem I see facing healer (yellow) and tank (blue) beornings in pve is in situations where you have to stop dps on a boss due to boss buffs.

Examples: Dar Narbugud, Icy Crevasse tier 3 skraid, Battle for Erebor t2, Fires of Smaug t2, OD Gortheron t2c, fornost fire t2c

Since Beornings need to keep burning and gaining wrath to stay effective, this would likely cause a tank to lose aggro to a healer, or for a heal beorning to run out of wrath before they can start again.

I would not take a beorning tank or healer for these situations, only as dps.
    That's kind of where I've been going with my Beorning. They are very easy to gain initial agro, but hard to keep agro against other agro thiefs in the party. I would still slot them as single target DPS, with some agro management as a bonus.
    Landroval EN-RP -- Club Eclaire: Galdhron-Elf LM, Twostep-Human Burg, Medloth Bearlady-Beorning || Laurelin EN-RP -- For RP; Join Club Slotro; bit.ly/slowtro

started reading, then skipped to the end

but agree with what most people are saying, they're not a 100% 3-way class. Haven't really played with yellow line, but i highly doubt they'll match a minstrel's healing output capacity.

Tanking, from what i've seen, single target tanking (bosses) fairly solid, but not seen much aoe tanking capability. again, guard/wardens highly out match them in this respect.

DPS. Again, slightly lower (only slightly) DPS than burgs/champs. The only downside I feel is that like burgs/champs we rely on crits. But we also rely on crits more (and some luck) to keep us in bear form longer with some skills returning wrath, keeping our DPS high. Arguably yes, the increased healing capabilities could compensate this, but meh.

Quote Originally Posted by sp33dccm View Post
    started reading, then skipped to the end

but agree with what most people are saying, they're not a 100% 3-way class. Haven't really played with yellow line, but i highly doubt they'll match a minstrel's healing output capacity.

Tanking, from what i've seen, single target tanking (bosses) fairly solid, but not seen much aoe tanking capability. again, guard/wardens highly out match them in this respect.

DPS. Again, slightly lower (only slightly) DPS than burgs/champs. The only downside I feel is that like burgs/champs we rely on crits. But we also rely on crits more (and some luck) to keep us in bear form longer with some skills returning wrath, keeping our DPS high. Arguably yes, the increased healing capabilities could compensate this, but meh.
    kinda disagre with u Yea we relly on crits,but keep on mind that we have more crit chance and 3sec cd upshot and with right rotation u can have alot of free executs in row(had 5 procs in row yesturday).Yellow line is bugged at the moment,but from what i see i think beoring is on par with mini,rk as main healer.Tanking both single target and aoe tanking are very good(2 aoe taunts-one with unlimited targets)also the reflect+the aoe claws with the stackable dot are helping alot.So yea i think the beoring are pretty much 100% in all roles.Sorry for my grammar mistakes.

If a beorning can keep dps'ing non-stop, I agree that they are/will be a complete class. However, the main issue arises in content where you are not allowed to DPS for upwards of 15 - 60 seconds while a boss has a buff active to self-heal, or magnify their damage if they receive incoming damage (example: +300% damage tier 3 rage in BfE which one-shots your tank because a Beorning had to keep dps'ing to heal the tank.

In those situations, a heal beorning or tank beorning is not an asset in their current state.

Other than in those situations, and obviously after turbine fixes the bugs, things will work well for Beornings.

Quote Originally Posted by Arathaert View Post
    Okay, I have a few questionses about Beornings...

My main curiosity is this: what is the primary role of a Beorning? All the other classes have a primary role and a secondary role. (e.g. Minstrel = main role is healing, secondary is dps. LM = main role is CC, secondary dps. Champ = main role dps, secondary tanking, etc.) From what I've seen, Beornings have three primary roles (can main heal, dps and tank). Is that actually intended??

For example, imagine if they suddenly upped Guardians' damage and gave them the ability to heal a fellowship? Or made it so Wardens could heal a fellowship? Or maybe made it so a hunter could tank and heal too. Or even so minis could tank. There'd be an uproar and outcry for the ages.

But it seems to me that Beornings are actually designed to be top-tier healer and tank and damage. It's like a captain but moreso ... cappies have been described as "the 80% class" - they can do about 80% of the damage of the top tier damage classes, can tank about 80% as well as a dedicated tank, and can heal about 80% as well as a dedicated healer.

Beornings, it would seem, are the 100% class.

Yes? No? Thoughts....
    Honestly with how easy the game is and how OPP most clase are now everyone primary role is DPS,,, and with no one running group content... tanking and CC are barely used and most healers can out dps the primary dps roles So I would say the Beorns promary role is like all other classes dps. Until we get some content where tanking and CC are actually needed

I tank just fine on my beorning. I haven't done really hard stuff as I am still gearing up. I dps just fine and will be better as I finish trait tree points and gear up.
    It's all how you play and gear/build. I hate yellow. My mini heals better and I live longer in other lines. Only issue o find is single target dps. Don't really have much ie oe the susters. Only instance that bugs out is forsaken inn
    alzie rank 15 mini
    "less talky, more killy"
    "kill fast , run faster!"
    The Apocalypse Kinship Elendilmir
    Antisocialnetworking brandywine

Teddibara beorning Brandywine
    alzeria rank 15 mini renamed Brandywine

If a beorning can keep dps'ing non-stop, I agree that they are/will be a complete class. However, the main issue arises in content where you are not allowed to DPS for upwards of 15 - 60 seconds while a boss has a buff active to self-heal, or magnify their damage if they receive incoming damage (example: +300% damage tier 3 rage in BfE which one-shots your tank because a Beorning had to keep dps'ing to heal the tank.

In those situations, a heal beorning or tank beorning is not an asset in their current state.

Other than in those situations, and obviously after turbine fixes the bugs, things will work well for Beornings.
    you are wrong with this statement,beorning is not broken.if you know what the skills do. Their descriptions are very vague. I found really cool stuff by asking other bears. I have not been in the moors in 4 weeks and play time will be lessened. I have found most creeps won't fight me solo. I can survive a #### ton with half a craid on me
    Creeps are kinda stupid focusing on a blue .

If that is the case I just hold aggro and hit f1. I can pull most aggro off any class , even guards and wardens if need be. my threat is harder.
    I find unless the mini is in ts or its a mini that knows how you play. I can generally stay alive in blue working on recuperate for red.
    When the warden came out they were an off tank. Most said they can't tank said rks were bad healers/dps. Only class that needs buffing is a burg and hunters need a better oh sht I pulled aggro skill. Most times my issue tanking is ranged classes ie hunters. If you have aggro bring it to the tank. It is not the tanks fault. I love tanking. Yellow is more like a cappy.
    The game is easy I agree, but for new players it isnt. Most trolls chastise detering ppl from learning to build properly. That is the freeps problem. As a bear you do not have
    To build like a healing class to heal well. Might and pm will always be your main stats. If you go tactical you will be squishy.I however have not tanked a raid or tier 2 challenges as I am still wking on building
    Last edited by Zalexia; Jul 15 2016 at 11:26 AM.
    alzie rank 15 mini
    "less talky, more killy"
    "kill fast , run faster!"
    The Apocalypse Kinship Elendilmir
    Antisocialnetworking brandywine

Teddibara beorning Brandywine
    alzeria rank 15 mini renamed Brandywine

Quote Originally Posted by Zalexia View Post

If that is the case I just hold aggro and hit f1. I can pull most aggro off any class , even guards and wardens if need be. my threat is harder.
    How is beorning threat 'harder'? If you use force taunt after the guard has invoked theirs, of course the mob will turn to you. It is force taunt after all. It doesn't make it 'harder'.

Beorning role on paper: jack-of-all-trades.
    In reality: you're lacking behind every other class in their department
    - as tank warden and guard have way more utility, more defensive cds and are even able to put out some respectable damage
    - as dps you have to build rage, offering only single target damage except every 3rd trash and almost no utility
    - as heal you have to build rage, your single target healing buff is tied to beeing within a certain range, barely any utility and no emergency heal

Beeing a beorning myself: I wouldn't take me or any beorning for more challenging content as long as you have other classes like mini/rk/warden/guard/champ/lm available.
    Sure you can do it with a beorning - but why hinder your group by taking an inferior class with non-working abilities over classes that are clearly better?

18. Jul 27 2016, 12:29 PM

edit

edit -posted in wrong place

Dont get me wrong but healing/tanking on Beorn is sometime like curse. When your group do not know what to do.
    They will leech your wrath until they die.

Healing/Tanking with Beorn is awsome and quite fun n sometime challenging.
    But all of those things(healing/tanking) is depend how your fellow/group is good or not.

If your group is good, beorn will shine like a rock star.
    If your group is leeching your wrath, you are like dead metal rock star, with completely dead group all on floor and you die last with nearly or zero wrath.
    This remind me ROI tanking time for warden, when you group have to have patience to wait, until warden build up threat aggro.
    "To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supereme excellence.
    Supreme excellence consist in breaking enemys resitance without fighting" Sun Tzu - the Art of War.