We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thumbs down New executive producer?

Is Aaron Campbell not working on the game anymore? The new Developers Letter is from somebody else as it seems!

Staffchange again? Without *edit* [previous] notice? Could explain the bull#### that happens at the moment with the new hotfix *edit* [and Turbine having problems again!]

*edited by the author of this post*

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufkin View Post
    I am disappointed with the news on server populations. I like my medium-low population server, and every forum thread I read has a majority in support of keeping the servers as they are, just changing the transfer options. If you are going to merge servers or force transfers you had better fix the lag issues first. Right now I, and given the recent week's responses many other players, cannot play on the most populated servers due to that lag. So if you follow through on this decision with something of this sort (forced transfers or mergers), you will lose myself and my son, and I'm certain many others as customers. If we can't play, we won't play, it's as simple as that.
    See, I am in a dilemma with that news....

First, I like the idea of a more populated server, and I have plenty of money to do transfers if I wanted to.

However.... I am a kin leader on Riddermark, and can not, and WILL not abandon my kinship just to go somewhere else. I will stay with "my people" so to speak. So from that point of view, I don't mind being merged with my entire kin to some other server, but I have a lot of questions. (asked in a post above).
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I'll just stick with what I've felt for a year now. The game is what it will be overall until the game shutters. Anything above this is a bonus.

As for the server issues, my thought is that we see them fix the "impossible" barrier to shifting characters, tell NA players with characters on once and future EU servers to move or lose access. They'll move the EU servers across the pond, retain the technical development responsibilities but otherwise leave LOTRO-EU under a different company or profit center for financial gains. The NA servers will see the "Big Three" play host to kindred servers with lesser populations after a period of essentially open transfers. The question becomes IF they can keep the servers stable and lag free enough to make it work overall.

The new PvMP map....IF it actually happens....isn't a bad thing. Though I start to serious wonder if we'll ever actually get to Mordor after all. Or, given that LOTRO is a stand-alone contract apart from the other game rights that exist, if LOTRO could eventually find its way to another company outside of WB. This game is technically a book based game, not tied to the movies. We know WB is hawt and heavy for this new "Middle-earth" brand approach and is planning for post-Hobbit ways to tap the IP for money.

We'll see. As a Kinship/Guild leader I had a two year end-game scenario for this game, I'm likely going to extend and run that plan now. Should be fun while it lasts however and I hope the year to come is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by MessyR View Post
    I see people getting excitied about instance clusters, yet the word "cluster" was not mentioned, it was a very vague reference to group content. New pvmp map might be interesting but as for proper group content we will see, the last raid content we had in the lobely mountain was dire to say the least and the last instance we got was meh at best.

Time i guess will tell.
    Cluster is here

"Group Instances in Osgiliath: We are specifically referring to a cluster of instance content for 3 & 6 man fellowships that is neither a Big Battle or a Raid. We evaluate the type of content we build with each region for what is appropriate and feasible. So we might do a raid again some day, but Osgiliath is not the time to do it. "
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    ~Landroval~
    .: Dannach, 118 WDN :.: Totes, 118 HNT :.: Sunhawk, 110 RNK :.
    ~Anor~
    .: Taika, 29 WDN :.
    I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon_Blackbird View Post
    Where does it say forced server merger? I missed it.
    "part of our efforts here are to make the transition as seamless as possible for Kinship leaders to keep the players together. The idea is to bring you together, not spread further apart."

Note the word "transition" especially - i.e. there will be a transition to new server - maybe with some kind of priority for kins to get into the same one. Not important to me really. That's just how I read it.

It's interesting, I have never ever once played in a group on this game. If there was an active pug system that popped within a minute or two I would try it (if there was an easier way to totally close chat).

I see people getting excitied about instance clusters, yet the word "cluster" was not mentioned, it was a very vague reference to group content. New pvmp map might be interesting but as for proper group content we will see, the last raid content we had in the lobely mountain was dire to say the least and the last instance we got was meh at best.

Time i guess will tell.
    the term Instance Cluster was used by the EP a few posts ago in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by ElanorFb View Post
    "part of our efforts here are to make the transition as seamless as possible for Kinship leaders to keep the players together. The idea is to bring you together, not spread further apart."

Note the word "transition" especially - i.e. there will be a transition to new server - maybe with some kind of priority for kins to get into the same one. Not important to me really. That's just how I read it.

It's interesting, I have never ever once played in a group on this game. If there was an active pug system that popped within a minute or two I would try it (if there was an easier way to totally close chat).
    I took that as a clarification about making it easier to do a server transfer, as in, you can transfer the whole kinship at the same time (Rift does this). I guess it's a wait and see thing.
    If you give away gold bars, someone will complain they're too heavy.
    ~Landroval~
    .: Dannach, 118 WDN :.: Totes, 118 HNT :.: Sunhawk, 110 RNK :.
    ~Anor~
    .: Taika, 29 WDN :.
    I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.
    Might as well face it, I'm addicted to WDN

Any chance of new crafting recipes? (not just for essences btw)

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    Well, it looks like developers are hanging a sign: "Solo casual players, get the ##### out of Lotro". Of course, some will go to find other, more solo-friendly games.
    Forced fellowship content with zero solo option - confirmed officialy
    Extremely hard (in Esopus language - "challenging") content - confirmed officially
    Nothing soloable - confirmed officialy.

Solo players are no more needed, they are almost pointed to the door. Nice move...
    Sorry, but it's really hard for me not to roll my eyes at posts like this, and others of concerned solo players. Turbine finally decides to get some fellowship content going and they go crazy, what in the world...?
    Solo players are getting Osgiliath and Eastern Gondor with the next update, a whole new region with solo quests, and also the episodic content from MoL sounds alot like a solo quest storyline. And now that the legendary items can be carried on through coming level cap increases, it makes it even easier for solo players. Really, it frustrates me to see people trying to dissuade Turbine from creating group content because they fear they'll miss out.... -.-

Anyways, thanks to Turbine and Vyvyanne for focussing on fellowship and pvmp content as well as new regions and quests. I think the "amazing news" we were promised last month truly are amazing, if they can deliver what they promised here.
    Déorwyn, Rank 12 Captain
    Lotro-Wiki: Tharondir

Reactions and questions:

New Fellowship Challenges:

1) When I read this, I harkened back to the previous community manager's promise of "exciting new group content" and that turned out to be the much maligned Big/Epic Battles. The term the community is using Instance Cluster. Is that the term you should be using as well?

2) If you do not fix loot distribution, it doesn't matter what kind of fellowship content there is, it will fail.

3) Fellowship... Does that mean no raids in Os, or no raids in 2015?

4) If there are raids,hopefully you recognize that LOTRO spent quite a few years alienating it's raiders to the point most of them no longer play LOTRO. Set challenge levels appropriately. Think Rift, not BG.

Server Populations: You might as well call it a server merger so we can start off on the right foot with you. If you beat around the bush on this, we're going to mistrust you. The EU move is crazy good news, as is the hardware upgrades.

PvMP Map This is a horrendously bad idea that is at best destined to go over like a meh and at worst crash and burn. Tell us instead about how pvp is going to be fixed before you tell us it's going to a new map. Tell us how you plan to remove gating with Audacity, tell us how you plan to bring veterans back, tell us how you're going to improve the quality of fighting, not that you're going to port broken mechanics onto new scenery that's only going to feel new for 2 weeks.

Last thing, so is there an XPac this year for Minas Tirith or no?
    Phrasing! Doesn't anybody do phrasing anymore?

Time i guess will tell.
    "Group Instances in Osgiliath: We are specifically referring to a cluster of instance content for 3 & 6 man fellowships that is neither a Big Battle or a Raid. We evaluate the type of content we build with each region for what is appropriate and feasible. So we might do a raid again some day, but Osgiliath is not the time to do it.

-Vyvyanne"

It was menioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowlock View Post
    Reactions and questions:

New Fellowship Challenges:

1) When I read this, I harkened back to the previous community manager's promise of "exciting new group content" and that turned out to be the much maligned Big/Epic Battles. The term the community is using Instance Cluster. Is that the term you should be using as well?

2) If you do not fix loot distribution, it doesn't matter what kind of fellowship content there is, it will fail.

3) Fellowship... Does that mean no raids in Os, or no raids in 2015?

4) If there are raids,hopefully you recognize that LOTRO spent quite a few years alienating it's raiders to the point most of them no longer play LOTRO. Set challenge levels appropriately. Think Rift, not BG.

Server Populations: You might as well call it a server merger so we can start off on the right foot with you. If you beat around the bush on this, we're going to mistrust you. The EU move is crazy good news, as is the hardware upgrades.

PvMP Map This is a horrendously bad idea that is at best destined to go over like a meh and at worst crash and burn. Tell us instead about how pvp is going to be fixed before you tell us it's going to a new map. Tell us how you plan to remove gating with Audacity, tell us how you plan to bring veterans back, tell us how you're going to improve the quality of fighting, not that you're going to port broken mechanics onto new scenery that's only going to feel new for 2 weeks.

Time to find a new game, it seems, mate. Anything you do enjoy?

And please don't say "we." As I'm not going to mistrust them.

Thanks.

I am betting no. In the letter it stated several updates through the year & I would think if they was doing an expansion this year, they would have put it in this letter to get more hype going.

I think they are pretty much done with expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistermorriss View Post
    Time to find a new game, it seems, mate. Anything you do enjoy?

And please don't say "we." As I'm not going to mistrust them.

Thanks.
    LMAO.... You really don't know Turbine's history.

Drinks Coffee All Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyvyanne View Post
    Hi all!

Server Populations: We are still working through the details, but part of our efforts here are to make the transition as seamless as possible for Kinship leaders to keep the players together. The idea is to bring you together, not spread further apart. This effort also includes upgraded hardware and a move to a better location for internet traffic for the US servers. This is a large and complicated process which I am fully focused on. More details on this in the coming weeks as more of the timelines and tech solidify.

-Vyvyanne
    Thank you for clarifying a bit more. I am a kin leader on Riddermark, and would like to know if there are any resources that kin leaders need to read and learn about, and above all: what do I tell my kin members?
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Deorwyn View Post
    Sorry, but it's really hard for me not to roll my eyes at posts like this, and others of concerned solo players. Turbine finally decides to get some fellowship content going and they go crazy, what in the world...?
    Solo players are getting Osgiliath and Eastern Gondor with the next update, a whole new region with solo quests, and also the episodic content from MoL sounds alot like a solo quest storyline. And now that the legendary items can be carried on through coming level cap increases, it makes it even easier for solo players. Really, it frustrates me to see people trying to dissuade Turbine from creating group content because they fear they'll miss out.... -.-

Anyways, thanks to Turbine and Vyvyanne for focussing on fellowship and pvmp content as well as new regions and quests. I think the "amazing news" we were promised last month truly are amazing, if they can deliver what they promised here.
    There is no mentioning of any solo content. In case you missed:New Fellowship Challenges: As we push into the heart of the War of the Ring, this is the perfect time for us to renew our focus on group content and instances. Expect new instances in Osgiliath, along with additional Roving Threats and group content on the landscape. Am I the only one who did not see any word like "solo", "single player" there?

Episodic content in an extremely hard ("challenge" is just an Esopus language) means nothing. Since it is -officially announced- extremely hard, it won't be soloable.

I am not mad because of raiding/instances/whatever. I am left without content. I did not purchase last quest pack, because I could not play it, according to feedback. I will not purchase all future quest packs/expansions if they are going to be 100% fellowship.

For those who want to oppose about "wait, there would be solo..." - please be so kind to read producers letter and find words "solo", "single player" anywhere in the text.

One thing I disagree with from letter: 2014 was NOT a good year for lotro....

Quote Originally Posted by Celembar View Post
    One thing I disagree with from letter: 2014 was NOT a good year for lotro....
    The past 2 years have not been good for LOTRO & sadly I don't see this year being that much better.

19. Jan 07 2015, 03:25 PM

20. Jan 07 2015, 03:31 PM

I wanted to hop on here and address a couple of points of confusion/ requests for clarity on a few items.

[snip]

Server Populations: We are still working through the details, but part of our efforts here are to make the transition as seamless as possible for Kinship leaders to keep the players together. The idea is to bring you together, not spread further apart.
    Welcome and good luck with the new position. Thanks for stepping down into the agora, better late than never.

My concern about the mergers persists. Keeping kinships together but not friends and familiar friendships helps marginally little, especially with relatively small kinships like ours in mid population servers.

Performance problems, lag and other technicalities aside, playing in mid population servers has its own, subjective aspects, which I believe cannot be mended in case of a transfer. For instance, as much as I like playing on Landroval and have been growing rather fond of the "new " community there, I can't help feeling homesickness for Imladris, where lies the entirety of my LOTRO history. Rather than mergers, I wish means of cross server communications (grouping) and data transfer were investigated.

Still, the rooting dread effect and shadow dot has lightened a bit with your post I hope you keep communicating with us directly as Rowan did.

Permanently retired. Was Kibilturg, Guardian of Imladris (then Landroval & Crickhollow) and ~40 alts.

Drinks Coffee All Day
    Theorizing a little bit from what the official comments seem to suggest....

Server mergers aren't going to happen. Instead, they will close down servers and allow people to move to more populous servers with some new process. As part of this, kin leaders will get the opportunity to move their entire kinship to another server.

You think this sounds right?
    -----

I am now incredibly worried about losing my names, houses, neighborhoods, kins/kinhouses...

I hope there's more info soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NaktiesKarys View Post
    There is no mentioning of any solo content. In case you missed:New Fellowship Challenges: As we push into the heart of the War of the Ring, this is the perfect time for us to renew our focus on group content and instances. Expect new instances in Osgiliath, along with additional Roving Threats and group content on the landscape. Am I the only one who did not see any word like "solo", "single player" there?

Episodic content in an extremely hard ("challenge" is just an Esopus language) means nothing. Since it is -officially announced- extremely hard, it won't be soloable.

I am not mad because of raiding/instances/whatever. I am left without content. I did not purchase last quest pack, because I could not play it, according to feedback. I will not purchase all future quest packs/expansions if they are going to be 100% fellowship.

For those who want to oppose about "wait, there would be solo..." - please be so kind to read producers letter and find words "solo", "single player" anywhere in the text.
    Ummm...

Episodic Content: We are currently in development on a new type of quest content that will roll out like an episodic TV show, a little at a time, as you follow a new friend across Middle-earth seeing familiar places in a new light.
    Extremely challenging? You got that from.... where exactly? Get your facts straight....

Osgiliath PvMP map: This will be a different "layer" to the map. This way players will be able to explore Osgiliath in PvE mode in Update 16 and the goal is to then also provide a PvMP version shortly thereafter (not on the same release date).
    So you think "explore in PvE mode" doesn't mean it will be a regular solo quest region exactly like Central Gondor was? I don't think Osgiliath will be instances and PvMP only, and there's also a lot of land still to cover between Pelargir and Osgiliath. There will be solo content there, possibly even a level cap increase.
    Déorwyn, Rank 12 Captain
    Lotro-Wiki: Tharondir

Welcome Vyvyanne!

I am cautiously optimistic. More details would help, a lot. I understand the Producer's Letter is always somewhat vague, but honestly we (your customers) would appreciate more details. Tell us what you're going to do, when you're going to do it, and why it's awesome.

New group content and instances - Yes. Thank you. More please!

Quality of Life - Thank you. Keep up the good work.

Legendary Items - This needs to be spot on, tested, verified, 100% complete when it's rolled out. We've been waiting a LONG time for this.

Episodic Content -- this scares me. Introducing another new concept, with so many other systems sitting around unfinished and unloved?

Will there be a level cap increase in 2015? Will Warsteed level cap be increased? Will crafting see any love? Will the graphics system ever be updated? Will old instances allow level scaling? Will there be new cosmetics and festival rewards? Will the loot tables be fixed? Will you be addressing the terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad lag that has invaded Middle Earth? etc. etc.
    Member of The Lonely Mountain Band!
    Sullo - 130 Hunter; Hadforod - 125 Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    The general plan with legendary items is that you can advance and imbue your existing items. The original plan was that you could only imbue an item that was at level cap (100) and fully leveled. Hoarse may have pulled back on that (to make it less restrictive), but we fully intend to make your existing LIs imbueable. I think I just invented a word.
    Will we definitely only be able to imbue lvl 100 LIs now? The last post mentioning it (above) said that the restriction might be dropped. Would be great if it was dropped with the amount of 95 symbols I got from the bugged BBs, I've made loads of 95 for non-main chars based on the previous post.
    Rakanor R12 Reaver - Trin R11 Champion

This is something that needs to be repeated. In the event we do get a new map it had better not be a reskinned 'Moors. Turbine have had nearly 8 years of observing PvMP and failing to make it function. Hopefully they realize the folly of Audacity, the need to properly incentive people (PvP gear has been terribad the majority of Lotro's life...I will never forget how utterly dismal the r10 cloaks were/are...should have advertised them as cosmetic), and have some notion of the pitfalls to avoid (farming, action concentrating in spots, PvE etc...). And absolutely above all, address the playability of PvP, lag is a very real problem that is staggering on servers like Brandy or around "map lines" or even when there are too many buffs/debuffs in effect.
    "It is wisdom to recognize necessity, when all other courses have been weighed,
    though as folly it may appear to those who cling to false hope."

Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast