We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Hybrid View

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day

Why no more updates on the transfers/server closures?

Turbine started the year with quite a bang, and promised to keep us updated... but after a few weeks in the updates stopped. Now they are back into their old "we will release information when it is ready to be released" mode.

I really would like to hear some updates, spring is less then a month away..... Frelorn? Vyvyanne?
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Vyvyanne and the dev/server team are in a delicate balancing act right now.

Not only are they upgrading server hardware for LOTRO, DDO, Infinite Crisis, and their unannounced game, all at one time, but also the core systems at the same time with server transfers with account migrations / kinship migrations etc.

This is the most recent major post about it from Jan 30th. https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...nsfer-Features

It's been 3 weeks since then, and they are probably very busy building those new database mechanics.
    LvL 100s: Beorning, Burglar, Captain, Champ, Guardian, Hunter, Lore-Master, Minstrel, Rune-Keeper
    LvL 85: Warden, Minstrel
    All my forum posts are my opinions and may not even be that. Also On Twitter: @leixicon

When I read the prod letter it said it was for the next 6 months. I assumed that meant all the server stuff would be dealt with in that time. I think I was being too keen.

I also think turbine have realized it is going to take longer than they had hoped, and I dont hold that against them.

I do agree that it could take months, and we'll have info and threads when ready doesn't look good.... I can feel things slipping already.

I dont have much faith if I'm honest!
    All posts to be taken with a pinch of tasty salt.... preferably rubbed on a Tater

It also does not help Turbine much when there is 10 feet of snow on the ground.

I would like to know how much the adverse weather has set back the things outlined in the Producers Letter are we looking at a June/July release for U16?
    "The internet is a bubble dominated by the loudest, most unrepresentative voices; an infinitesimally small minority of a minority which, deaf to reason and the opinions of others, deludes itself that somehow it is the voice of the majority. An infinite echo chamber of shrieking, witless banality."

"Everyone draws the moral line of what's acceptable just slightly below what they're actually doing."

"Er gwaetha pawb a phopeth. Ry'n ni yma o hyd."

Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    I would like to know how much the adverse weather has set back the things outlined in the Producers Letter are we looking at a June/July release for U16?
    Hopefully the technical staff will have been able to remote in and do most of what they planned to do from home
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellemere View Post
    Where was it said in January that U16 was coming in April? Major releases typically take longer to do and there has been a lot of staff turnover in the last 12 months. When U16 was announced, I was/am expecting a May/June release for it. I did see a late April release as possible, but really stretching things.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Quote Originally Posted by matalan View Post
    When I read the prod letter it said it was for the next 6 months. I assumed that meant all the server stuff would be dealt with in that time. I think I was being too keen.
    A six month Producer's Letter is supposed to tell what they are spending the next six months on. Proper planning means it takes them six months to get it done because Athena needs to keep her people busy every day.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

As I recall, the announcement was in a ToDo list for this year, with a line saying "..and we hope to have it done by December".

There have not been updates on this because right now we have no real new information. The work is progressing and the team is continuing to get everything they need to get done. When we have some new information we will certainly pass it along, but as of now we do not have anything new on this. And yes the snow did not help, but it will not have a significant impact on when the work is finished.

In short, things are progressing but there is really not anything new we have to share right now. When we do have more information, you can be sure it will be posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    Turbine started the year with quite a bang, and promised to keep us updated... but after a few weeks in the updates stopped. Now they are back into their old "we will release information when it is ready to be released" mode.

I really would like to hear some updates, spring is less then a month away..... Frelorn? Vyvyanne?
    The Producer's Letter was posted on 7 January.
    Spring may be only a month away (although most of the folks in Boston will laugh at that statement) however,
    it NOW STILL only February -- that announcement was only about 7 weeks ago.

Be patient.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post

GG, Frelorn. Seriously, you're doing great.
    As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he joined the Smaug The Dragon raid. Then he asked for leadership, looted the chest, assigned himself the 1st age Arkenstone and mailed it to an alt (Bilbo's a VIP so can mail from anywhere). They did some PvMP and an Epic Battle, then he apologized and gave the Arkenstone back because it wasn't BoA. He kept the pony.