We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

clearing up some oathbound ally confusion

Somebody said something in chat that made me look this up... https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Oath-bound_Ally

The current status is that we can use armaments to make our regular herald or archer look like this, but it's no longer a separate herald, only an armament thing, right?

Next question: what tier is the armament? Should be one for every tier of tailor just like the others, shouldn't it? I'm pretty sure I've never seen it from any landscape-dropped recipe scroll though. Do I have to buy them with marks to have a chance to find it? Or has it been removed?

This says you can buy it from the Captain trainer, but I'm sure I've NOT seen it there: https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Ite...the_Oath-bound so that part must simply be out of date.

Or maybe there's a cosmetic pet that looks like it? Not sure what to think at this point.

You barter for them at a Captain Trainer these days. What you do is swap the tailor made Herald Armament for a token which you can then trade for different War, Hope, Victory and Archer Armaments - Oath-Bound, Squire, Pilgrim, Maid, etc.

As far as I know they all offer the same benefit regardless of you Cappy's level. Oath-Bound Herald of War, for example, gives +2% to Tact, Melee and Ranged damage on both my Captains - one level 100, the other level 63. So you slot a Standard - which are still made by tailors and have different levels - and call whichever Herald you want. I don't think the +armour value for Heralds works any more but I'm willing to be corrected on that.
    Last edited by Altair6; Mar 11 2015 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional info

we have some decent writeups around here. check some older threads for more info.

anyway, let me try form memory...

no armaments are for sale on our trainers anymore. that is old info. they are ALL tailor made now.

ANY armament can be traded/bartered to any captain trainer for a "writ." that writ can then be traded to the same trainer for a new summoning SKILL that will appear on your skills page.

so, you can have a tailor make you a lvl 10 armament or a lvl 95 armament and you can trade them in for the same thing.

however, if you want the bonus from a critically crafted armament, you will need to physically swap it with your banner before summoning, than swithc back. like we used to. this is the only way to squeeze that extra bit of armor our of the herald/archer. its not really worth the hassle in PvE (but i still carry one).

get four lvl 10 armament and trade them for writs. then get the four cosmetic looks you like for each hope/victory/war/archer.

with all combos, you could have some 50 new skills in your panel.... dwarf/archer dwarf/hope herald shieldmaiden/victory shieldmaiden/archer so many combos!

hope i understood you and was clear!
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

That's what I needed to know, thanks!

The only place where my herald dies regularly is Pelargir now. Glad they're tougher than they used to be. Even the archer takes damage at a slower rate, not one shotted anymore. But I do use the swap armaments in/out method you described. I'm still doing that I guess because I remember spending so much time healing him before. Traumatized, lol.

Ohhh, now I get what you meant by mentioning the armament use...

1. I equip the armament
    2. I click the Oathbreaker skill (bartered for that)
    3. The visual image of the armament appears, NOT THE OATHBREAKER

So what I'm experiencing is, I have to give up 2000 armor (or more as I level up further) for my pet if I want it to look like an oathbreaker? That seems.... odd... to say the least. Please tell me there's a way to make the oathbreaker actually look right while using armaments.

Is there a way to do that?

Not at the Moment, in the Past you could buy a Oathbreaker Arament. That you could switch in and out.
    This is the only one, that cant be crafted.

But something maybe more important.
    If you are kindred with the Lossoth, then you can barter the Lossoth Herald skill.
    These have more Moral, as the others, except the Archer, if you summon them with the Skill.

If you do not like the Herald skin much.
    Then you can slot an other crafted one that you prefer more. After the Summon you slot the Banner again.

This thread (especially the last few posts) explains all the hoops to jump through to get the cosmetic look you want with full banner buffs (and an extra 5,000 morale for your herald if you are kindred with Lossoth). It is complicated to set-up initially, but once you have all the summoning skills you want, it is pretty simple to use in game. Just equip the crit cosmetic armament you want to see, click the Lossoth war/victory/hope/archer summoning skill desired, then equip the crit banner bonus you prefer.

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...-herald-change
    Arkenstone: Pelagor 100 Captain, Finarwe 100 Loremaster, Banderdas 100 Minstrel

Thanks for the additional info. Seems like swapping is still best unless you're just doing basic stuff and not worried about the pet dying.

I'd like to see it become possible to have the look you want and the benefits you want. LM's don't have to have a cat instead of a bear if they want extra crit on the pet. Then again, I don't think they have the option of swapping to get 2 benefits like we do. :\ I'd hate to see the situation resolved by having all but the lowest armaments disappear. Better to have new ones available, even if it's just at the Westfold level (that's the one where you're likely to do the quests in Ost Celebrant), or buyable from Stangard with rep?

Quote Originally Posted by gripply View Post
    I'd like to see it become possible to have the look you want and the benefits you want.
    You can get the look you want and the benefits you want. It appears you missed the whole point of the other thread I linked above.

For example, when I want to summon my herald for my level 100 captain, I take the following steps:
    1. I equip a Westemnet Reinforced Swordswoman Herald Armaments. This gives my herald the cosmetic look I want and the bonus +2565 armor value for my herald (Crit min level 90 Westemnet Armaments are the highest level crafted armaments).
    2. I use my Call to Arms: Herald of Hope (Lossoth) skill to summon the herald. She looks like Swordswoman herald because I equipped that armament, she has the +3% mitigation aura like any herald of hope, but she has 21,227 morale because I used the Lossoth summoning skill.
    3. Finally, to get the self buffs that I want, I swap from the Westemnet armaments to an Intricately Wrought Eorlingas Standard of War, which gives me +5% melee damage, +1186 morale, and +5339 Physical Mastery.

Since the herald's stats are based on the skill/armament used at the time of summoning, the herald's appearance and stats remains the same, but I get the buffs from my standard of choice. The best of both worlds.
    Arkenstone: Pelagor 100 Captain, Finarwe 100 Loremaster, Banderdas 100 Minstrel

Thanks for the additional info. Seems like swapping is still best unless you're just doing basic stuff and not worried about the pet dying.

I'd like to see it become possible to have the look you want and the benefits you want. LM's don't have to have a cat instead of a bear if they want extra crit on the pet. Then again, I don't think they have the option of swapping to get 2 benefits like we do. :\ I'd hate to see the situation resolved by having all but the lowest armaments disappear. Better to have new ones available, even if it's just at the Westfold level (that's the one where you're likely to do the quests in Ost Celebrant), or buyable from Stangard with rep?
    Bad compares.
    The Loremaster Pets and the Captain Heralds are very different. We share the first 8 Icons in the Petbar.

The Problem with the Captains pets is, that they are dead, very, very fast.
    We have one Bannercarrier and one with a Bow. There are 3 different bannercolors. They are all squishy and do Common Damage.
    Thats all.
    What we can do is summon a chosen skin with more health as common. For that we have to be Kindred with the Lossoth.
    Formaly the Lossoth has a better Migration, now he has more health.

The LM have a lot of skins for each animal. Many look quiet nice. Me thinks non of them are squishy.
    I am not 100% sure, but i have the feeling, that my level 43 LM Bear has more health as my 100 Lossoth Herald.
    And the Bear feed on Monsters, the Herald holding a stick.
    The Bear protects the LM, The Captain protects the Herald.

But this is, what we have. And what we can do best for our party.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubgaenger View Post
    What we can do is summon a chosen skin with more health as common. For that we have to be Kindred with the Lossoth.
    Formaly the Lossoth has a better Migration, now he has more health.
    I don't believe lossoth requires a rep anymore

Cappy trainer
    1. Trade crafted armaments
    2. Get the receipt
    3. Trade receipt for the Lossoth Armaments

At least this is what I had to do for it, didn't need any rep.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

Quote Originally Posted by robbie1435 View Post
    I don't believe lossoth requires a rep anymore

Cappy trainer
    1. Trade crafted armaments
    2. Get the receipt
    3. Trade receipt for the Lossoth Armaments

At least this is what I had to do for it, didn't need any rep.
    I needed rep to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by spelunker View Post
    I needed rep to do it.
    Now that I think about it, you're probably right. I was already kindred at the time, so I didn't even pay attention, I just bought it.
    Glorgnorbor, A Rock And A Hard Place, Stop by our Friday music shows! 4PM EST at the Bree West Gate on Dwarrowdelf!
    If a Malledhrim Soldier dies alone in the forest because of canceled quest, will it make a sound? ~Leixy
    Took me a few years, but I renewed my signature :)

So what I'm experiencing is, I have to give up 2000 armor (or more as I level up further) for my pet if I want it to look like an oathbreaker? That seems.... odd... to say the least. Please tell me there's a way to make the oathbreaker actually look right while using armaments.

Is there a way to do that?
    you need a critically crafted oathbreaker armamanet. the visual will be overwritten to whatever you equip, you are correct.

ps- the base armor is scaled to whatever your level is; the same as a regular crafted lvl 95, if your char is lvl 95 or higher. the only point of the crit-crafted one is ~200 more armor. it is not that significant and you can really ignore the swapping. its only for min/maxers... or if you feel your pet is dying too fast and that little bit might help (i do this sometimes)

pps to the others- the rep gates are still in place. mouse-over them in the barter menu to check.
    "I am always serious; I am never serious." -Me
    "I make the most outrageous and exaggerated statements of any man to ever live, has ever lived, or that will ever live." -Me

Quote Originally Posted by SapienChavez View Post
    you need a critically crafted oathbreaker armamanet. the visual will be overwritten to whatever you equip, you are correct.

ps- the base armor is scaled to whatever your level is; the same as a regular crafted lvl 95, if your char is lvl 95 or higher. the only point of the crit-crafted one is ~200 more armor. it is not that significant and you can really ignore the swapping. its only for min/maxers... or if you feel your pet is dying too fast and that little bit might help (i do this sometimes)

pps to the others- the rep gates are still in place. mouse-over them in the barter menu to check.

I'll check my guilded tailor again, but I don't think he has that recipe. The captain is 91 atm. The Wildermere armor would be the equivalent of what the pet is "wearing" when he is level 100, is that what you mean? (wish I could see the stats, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes that)

In the current situation, I'm regretting that my mini is the only one with Lossoth rep so far. I suppose I'll be revisiting Forochel. It makes sense though that the rep gate would be there... I mean, how would a captain recruit a Lossoth if he wasn't trusted by his people... what is he a renegade Lossoth? O.o

I guess I do have the minmax bug... I dream of Lossoth with Oathrbreaker armament. Minmax is another name for "skillful play." Gathering the necessary things to bring a tiny advantage to the game is part of the fun.

Me thinks, that the Ghost cant be craftet.
    We could get one in Moria by the Captains trainer and (much) later in Harwick in nice Classtrainer house.
    That one was better, because of increased level.

Remember that in the Old Days the Oathbound was connected at the Red Capstone.

Some Items left the Game.
    Me have an Oathbound armamanet still in my bank.
    Some Relicts were removed over the time.
    And some Items, that could be missed, as the Lesser Reinforced Threkkappi Helm e.g.
    (http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item...hrekkappi_Helm)