We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fast:ish leveling a champ from 88 to 100 > and progress after that

I am a slow leveler. Been at it for above 18 months and my champ (first character) is at mid 87. Currently following epic line at Norcrofts, with side questing. A friend has been following my gaming a bit, we talk MMO's from time to time and he jest at my slow leveling (aren't you top level yet?, I hear a few times every week with a giggle). So now we have a small challenge, he dared my to max out Malancil before June 12. Which happens to be my 50th birthday. I can only play a couple of hours per day, in average.

Since my gaming so far has not been oriented on fast leveling in any way (I have use an XP accelerator a number of times, but only to achieve a short term goal, like hitting above 70 to get the War Steed, or something else...) I appreciate some tips from you guys. I play solo, I have a reasonable DPS setup, and lots of level 80 Might boosters in jewelry. I do need new LI's since they are maxed out long ago, but they are around lvl 80.

Please ask me for any more info you might want, grateful for tips.
    Last edited by Marancil; Jun 12 2015 at 02:13 AM. Reason: changed thread title
    Marancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Community Discord | My in game image hosting: LotroShots

sword halls and warg #####.

ask kinmates for taxi or buy someone's time at /world

use boosts ofc

vip gets even more xp and can buy even even more from destiny points

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    sword halls and warg #####.

ask kinmates for taxi or buy someone's time at /world

use boosts ofc

vip gets even more xp and can buy even even more from destiny points

Would you be so kind as to elaborate a bit on your answers....? I only understand half of it.
    I get the boost part and I am a VIP already (see signature).
    Marancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Community Discord | My in game image hosting: LotroShots

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Would you be so kind as to elaborate a bit on your answers....? I only understand half of it.
    I get the boost part and I am a VIP already (see signature).
    There are a couple of instances, meant for 3 people to do together, that have a lot of mobs in and give a lot of XP per minute. They have traditionally been used by people wanting to speed level, as even though there's a lot of mobs it's possible to kill them all and succeed with a bit of a strategy and lots of AoE. It would be a very repetitive strategy for levelling. I wouldn't care to count how many times you would have to do it. You might get a few nice items on the way though, and if you take a friend and chat your way through it, perhaps i will be less dull.
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

Running all of Helm's Deep quests will get you there in what will seem like no time. If starting those quests around the listed target level of 86 (across the bridge at Entwade), your character will be around 97 after the very last quest in that expansion. After that it's a brisk walk to cap 100, through any of the quest packs you have available as a VIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarian_Grace View Post
    There are a couple of instances, meant for 3 people to do together, that have a lot of mobs in and give a lot of XP per minute. They have traditionally been used by people wanting to speed level, as even though there's a lot of mobs it's possible to kill them all and succeed with a bit of a strategy and lots of AoE. It would be a very repetitive strategy for levelling. I wouldn't care to count how many times you would have to do it. You might get a few nice items on the way though, and if you take a friend and chat your way through it, perhaps i will be less dull.
    Are we talking about Dol Guldur Warg dens, among those? Please say which you refer to.

Yes indeed, warg pens and sword halls, in the mirkwood expac
    Elendilmir - 95 Hunter Berenthalion - 80ish Burg Berendybuck - baby warden Berenion.

Worst Reaver on the server BerendyBash - R4

I am a slow leveler. Been at it for above 18 months and my champ (first character) is at mid 87. Currently following epic line at Norcrofts, with side questing. A friend has been following my gaming a bit, we talk MMO's from time to time and he jest at my slow leveling (aren't you top level yet?, I hear a few times every week with a giggle). So now we have a small challenge, he dared my to max out Malancil before June 12. Which happens to be my 50th birthday. I can only play a couple of hours per day, in average.

Since my gaming so far has not been oriented on fast leveling in any way (I have use an XP accelerator a number of times, but only to achieve a short term goal, like hitting above 70 to get the War Steed, or something else...) I appreciate some tips from you guys. I play solo, I have a reasonable DPS setup, and lots of level 80 Might boosters in jewelry. I do need new LI's since they are maxed out long ago, but they are around lvl 80.

Please ask me for any more info you might want, grateful for tips.
    Personally I would just get some xp boosters and run through HD - because you're going to go back there for the 5 trait points so may as well get it over with whilst you're still earning xp from it. Also some of the quests give lots of xp. You'll be 100 long before you're finished Westfold and the vol 3 epic

Ok, going for HD. Never been there, but I guess I better get it done. i actually rode there, but I forgot I need to get it via them Erkenbrand messenger, in Bree, among other places.´

Edit/ Damn, forgot how much talking there was in the basic training

Ok, now I recall why I never got into HD. I never figured out what to do after being returned to Bree after Basic Training.
    Last edited by Marancil; May 31 2015 at 06:20 AM.

Ok, going for HD. Never been there, but I guess I better get it done. i actually rode there, but I forgot I need to get it via them Erkenbrand messenger, in Bree, among other places.´

Edit/ Damn, forgot how much talking there was in the basic training

Ok, now I recall why I never got into HD. I never figured out what to do after being returned to Bree after Basic Training.
    It all starts at Entwade, where earlier you were refused passage into the realm of Theoden (where the epic gave a second age bridle 85). There is a letter to point you there, I think, and an NPC just by the crossing - and going into town the linear quests should be available.

We were a few disgruntled by the pointless 'introduction to epic battles' instance. Not only does it remain active for ever and ever even after you finish it, it has no real information and it has about a thousant percent too much light banter between NPCs. It's like some game mod with expanded chat between followers, it just never ends! My condoleances if you suffered that unexpectedly.

Well, I was at Entwade and found little useful, I can ride wherever I want, I am friend or kindred with all Rohan factions up to there. Gonna read up a bit on the wiki...

I don't remember exactly but isn't there part of the epic that starts up in Nona's cave-wildermore that sends you back to the Entwade?

I just encountered the Entwade "blockade". Grima banished the player (me), Horn and Corudan. I still have some chapters to do before getting to Wildermore. After that, I assume I will get back to the Entwade.

I never did any big battles or used any xp accelerators. I just deeded in Rohan and landscape quests and hit 100 on my lore master just as I entered East Gondor. And that was without going into Fangorn forest or completing Wildermore. I'm pretty sure you can level quickly just by playing.

What is sad is that I have only one 100 level character lol. Too much alt-itis. Uncurable.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I never did any big battles or used any xp accelerators. I just deeded in Rohan and landscape quests and hit 100 on my lore master just as I entered East Gondor. And that was without going into Fangorn forest or completing Wildermore. I'm pretty sure you can level quickly just by playing.

What is sad is that I have only one 100 level character lol. Too much alt-itis. Uncurable.
    I am beginning to think the same, I am targeting one level per day, in average, couple of hours playing. As for the alt-itis, sure same here, but Gilthiron is just a few levels behind. Spearheading Malancil now for this.

I just encountered the Entwade "blockade". Grima banished the player (me), Horn and Corudan. I still have some chapters to do before getting to Wildermore. After that, I assume I will get back to the Entwade.
    Yes you will, vol III book 10 (Wildermore) ends at Nona's cave and book 11 chapter 1 starts in Nona's cave and sends you to the entwade and Helm's Deep expansion.

Happy Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by KM3161 View Post
    Yes you will, vol III book 10 (Wildermore) ends at Nona's cave and book 11 chapter 1 starts in Nona's cave and sends you to the entwade and Helm's Deep expansion.

Happy Hunting
    You don't need to complete the epic beforehand. You can just go to Nona's cave and pick up book 11 chapter 1.

Turn in task items whenever you can. Don't take task quests, just check the task board before you sell off junk and turn in any that you already have the items for. Then sell the remainder, unless you want to keep a stack to use up at the beginning of the next day.

Helm's Deep mobs 86+ have a steep jump up from the level 85 stuff you've been doing in Rohan. You'll want to acquire level 86+ LI and gear ASAP. Always worth it to ask in /world if anyone has any junk Champ. LIs 86+. (Someone cleaning up humanoid slayer tasks in HD will have some of these. If they are also VIP, they can mail them to you from the field.)

Have fun!
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Got the gear covered. I am just hoping I wont run in to a five week crafting cycle due to Guild Recipe cooldowns.... Need to check with my Metalsmith. Should the worse things happen I am already equipped with 85 Wildermore Armour.
    Edit, naa, nothing better available below lvl 95... At least not from Guild Improved Recipes. Next step would be Fangorn set or War Armour of the Deep. Grr, both has the crappie cooldown´of almost 5 weeks. Will have to rely on drops or Faction recipes.

Hey, wait DAMN I AM GOOD...I have 8 Westemnet Crests just lying waiting for this. I can craft that armour NOW if I want to.
    Last edited by Marancil; May 31 2015 at 02:26 PM.

cdq1958 is offline Hero Of the Small Folk 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post

Few have a worse case of alt-oholism than me; and I have two 100s, of which the main has done every zone and all of the Epics. I have 2 90s, 2 80s, a gaggle of 70s that are all 77+. The rest are craft mules, storage mules, and server scouts. I've speed-leveled in the past to have a character that could go on kin runs, but I've never liked doing it. One character gets one level per session. A session may span several days, but a session is the amount of time to get that character to the next level, which is typically between 6 and 8 hours of play time. It may take less than that at times and has taken much more than that at times, as well.
    "No sadder words of tongue or pen are the words: 'Might have been'." -- John Greenleaf Whittier
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda
    On planet Earth, there is a try.
    Indeed, in a world and life full of change, the only constant is human nature (A is A, after all :P).
    We old vets need to keep in mind those who come after us.

Result: From Friday to last night (GMT) I got just about two levels. Started at mid 86 and are now at mid 88.

Impression: I feel a bit cheated, maybe someone can help me out. Norcrofts (yes, I was 1 above target level, so all mob's/npc's grey) Faldham. I picked up quests helping the local people, 4 of them was specifically helping farmers but each of them only gave about 1000 XP or less.

? Question: Does the fact that I was above target level for the area reduce my XP that much? Doing all those 21 Faldham quests should easily have given me above 200.000 XP (10-15k per quest at the very least), I do not have a total (who is counting) but I think I only got up to a third. Then some, because I was on an "Exceptional Experience Accelerator 200%" but that is beside the point.
    Last edited by Marancil; Jun 01 2015 at 02:29 AM.

Hey Marancil,

I just leveled my guard form 88 to 100 during the weekend.
    There are already very good tips in this thread, still I would like to add a bit.

Try to get a complete set of crafted lvl 90 heavy armour and jewellery. It will boost both: your morale and your damage (my guard had a complete damage set of Hytbold/Erebor armour and nice jewellery for lvl 85 - I threw it all away reaching lvl 90). And this stuff doesn't need any crests or shards or guild rep items. My guard still wears some of these items while I am working on lvl 100 equipment.

As somebody already said: try to get a lvl 86+ third age legendary weapon as soon as possible. Don't do much to it, just some XP to reach max lvl of damage and add some cheap relics. It will still be much better than anything before. And replace it the moment you find a better one (I changed every five levels).

Questing in West Rohan is a good idea as you will be rewarded with trait points finishing an area. But those final quests can be hard, especially for a melee. Thats why I did as much as I could in this area and moved on to Gondor. I will do them now being older and having better equipment.

If you don't refuse to do group content, there are some more opportunities than Sword Hall or Warg Pens:
    Try to find a group ffarming the instance: "The Shadow in Morthond" as soon as lvl 100 mobs are not purple to you anymore (should be at lvl 93, I think). It is an epic instance, repeatable via reflection pool. You don't have to have it done already, all you need is access to the reflection pool in Morthond or Dol Amroth, Western Gondor. And a group doing it, of course. You will be rewarded with lots of experience and - with a little luck - some essences you will want once you reach lvl 100.

Same with Sambrog (Great Barrow). On my server many people do Sambrog runs to get marks and medaillons they need for their equipment. There are repeatable side quest in there which will reward you with additional XP.

Good luck to you!

Mel

[Edit:] just saw your question. Yep. the older you are, the less XP you will get for a quest. My suggestion is: Skip East Rohan and go to West Rohan. Come back to it later, if you still want to finish it. The quest chain for West Rohan starts in Nonas cave in Wildermore.
    Try to stay with quests appropriate to your level or a bit higher. This will help you level up faster!
    Last edited by Mellana; Jun 01 2015 at 02:55 AM.
    Alt-o-holic on two Worlds:
    Usually playing on Gwaihir and enjoying Landroval.
    HakunaMatata

Ok, Westemnet Battle Armour, just need to get recipes....

Yes, now that you mention it in those words, yes, I have seen acquired XP drop while leveling, and the harder it gets, the more XP.

So you did 12 levels? May I ask how many gaming hours?

How many hours, you ask? I don't recall, maybe 6 hours a day *shrugs* So 18 at all? Not sure anymore, sorry.
    But I had a lot of help from my kin who will be happy to have another tank
    We did some Sword Halls, some Sambrogs and some School/Library runs. And some runs of Morthond.
    I used some XP Accelerators when we did that.
    And she is my 6th lvl 100 char so I know the areas, the quests and where to go. And I'm very lazy so I always try to get the most with small effort ...
    I went to Gondor when I was lvl 95 and quested almost only epic quests because I desperately wanted that bracelet with 3 essence slots. She was still 99 when she got it *grins*

Concerning Armour: maybe you could ask in /world if someone is willing to craft it for you if you offer mats and a bit of money. It is really cheap, only needs 2 medium grade eorlingas ingots per piece. There are different options, you should use the ones "... of strength". They come with +162 Might, +135 Vita, +499 phys. Mastery and +499 crit. Rating.

All the best for you!
    Alt-o-holic on two Worlds:
    Usually playing on Gwaihir and enjoying Landroval.
    HakunaMatata

Quote Originally Posted by Mellana View Post
    And I'm very lazy so I always try to get the most with small effort ...
    In other words, you like to be efficient.

You can see that I have all the crafting resources needed for just about anything, but jewelry, in my signature. Anancite is my Westemnet Guild Master Metalsmith, and he will do that. Tarostel will take care of the weapons and Malancil himself can make just about any potions and scrolls.

Head into Gondor when you get to level 95 - you get more experience from quests when you are underlevelled. Although does mean you'll need to return to west Rohan to get the trait points you haven't got by then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast