We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Maintenance is extended

Before all start to ask: There Is No ETA - see https://twitter.com/lotro/status/625690321452597249

I hope this is not the aftermath of the Hacking Team (in Milan) Debacle...

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    It happens

They are likely doing a lot of hardware upgrades and VM migrations from one hardware platform to another, and those can take time. It's really tough to estimate how long copies will take when there is other disk activity on the same array, etc.... plus they have to test everything, they can't leave stuff broken and launch it just because they want to be on time.

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank the Turbine team for their hard work actually, some people had to drive to work real real early today, and we the players often don't see the hard work that goes in to these games, and are quick to complain if they are an hour late. Please realize the turbine employees are just people like you and me.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Thank you everyone for your patience. The effort this morning is one of the larger bits of backend work we are doing to get all of our systems over to the new datacenter and hardware. Not the game servers themselves yet, but this is the step before that can be done. It is all very exciting, but can take a bit of fine tuning. On the positive end, you will not need to patch the game once we are back up as long as you got last week's patch already.

Cheers,
    Vyvyanne

Maintenance? Maintenance lasting 9 hours and some? Personally I don't believe that for one second.
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Concert every Monday 19:00-20:00 CET (13:00-14:00 server time) at The Methel Stage on Gwaihir.
    Alles Musik oder was!
    Instant Play YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Quasquid/

Quote Originally Posted by Kvanti View Post
    Maintenance? Maintenance lasting 9 hours and some? Personally I don't believe that for one second.
    Why in the world wouldn't you believe it? This isn't the typical monthly maintenance.

I have no problem with the maintenance being extended, but what I do have a problem with is that we do not even know anything about this maintenance issue nor is there anything from the community manager to tell us otherwise. So this may be the server

upgrades finally but I think to be fair we should have received a little bit of information as to what they were working on. i think a sense of entitlement has set in since these server mergers is all anyone can talk about and yet we are still left out in the cold

wondering what is going on behind closed doors. My best guess is that something happened with the server upgrades that are out of Turbines control and it may take many more hours to troubleshoot, or even days, to repair. At least give us a heads up at

least is all that I ask.
    Crick - Frodo's Friends
    Blommer-105 Warden - Rank 9, Razzmataz-105 Captain, Darthhager-105 Champion, Leviathon-105 Hunter, Kneebreaker-105 Burglar, Obie-105 Loremaster, Blomini-105 Minstrel, Fulmer-105 Guardian, Rockey-46, Runekeeper, Lane-35 Minstrel

Clearly you have never worked in the computing industry.
    Bill Magill Mac Player Founder/Lifetimer
    Old Timers Guild - Gladden
    Sr. Editor LOTRO-Wiki.com

Val - Man Minstrel (108)
    Valalin - Dwarf Minsrel (71)
    Valamar - Dwarf Hunter (120)
    Valdicta - Dwarf RK (107)
    Valhad - Elf LM (66)
    Valkeeper - Elf RK (87)
    Valwood - Dwarf RK (81)

Valhunt - Dwarf Hunter (71)
    Valanne - Beorning (105)
    Ninth - Man Warden (66)

"Laid back, not so serious, no drama.
    All about the fun!"

I do.

And personally, I want them to take as long as it takes to get this right, because nobody wants glitches coming up unexpectedly when they're trying to transfer an account's worth of characters/items, which is what some of us could be facing once the server closures are announced.

I'm excited to see things progressing, thanks for the update Vyvyanne!

they doing alot changes so give them time plz ty for the work turbine even after your corsair and haradrim are racist

It will be an interesting test to see how many of people who complain about downtime are the very same people who so vocally complain about the server based issues like lag.
    "Lemarque is an awful Burg. he only comes out of stealth when there's something to kill" - Kateaclysm
    Le Marque De Tueurs
    The Mark of Killers
    Formerly of Vilya

This is just what we said it is, maintenance. There is some work being done in preparation for the upcoming server upgrades, cleaning up some old databases, doing Windows updates, that sort of stuff. All being done across all of our games, sites, and anything else in our datacenter. Thus why we call it maintenance.

Explains a lot. Thanks for the Feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    ....they can't leave stuff broken and launch it just because they want to be on time.
    Lol...while I appreciate the work that goes into keeping this game running...I find the above comment quite funny as everyone knows they launch broken content almost every update, despite Beta testing, bug reports, and player feedback, just to meet a pre-determined deadline.

There are multiple realities to this game, and launching broken and/or bugged content is definitely one of them. Not that they don't try to fix the most pressing issues, but it still happens.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will try to kill you. But first...they must catch you. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and you will never be destroyed...

Quote Originally Posted by Frelorn View Post
    ... doing Windows updates ...
    Need he say anymore -- windows updates are one of those horribly time consuming - necessary evils.

Thanks for the update Frelorn

This is just what we said it is, maintenance. There is some work being done in preparation for the upcoming server upgrades, cleaning up some old databases, doing Windows updates, that sort of stuff. All being done across all of our games, sites, and anything else in our datacenter. Thus why we call it maintenance.
    Hey. As an EU player, I would like to ask for some sort of indication how long could this continue. Granted, I accept that it might not be 100% true, so I won't blame you if your ETA doesn't match the real one, but can you give us something? Ready in next hour or two? Ready in three+ hours? As I said, I understand it is "estimated", but any indication would be helpful so we won't waste time waiting for Lotro
    POLARIS --> Esta Sinome
    Axeny - 105 Burg R9 | Nemene - 105 RK R11 | Mellar - 105 MIN || Morrolan - 105 LM R8 | Rashek - 105 WRD | Loilosh - 105 CPT | Loixus - 105 BRN
    Loiosh - R13 WL | Paqk - R8 Spider | Magru - R7 Def | Burgker - R6 Warg

Quote Originally Posted by darthhager View Post
    I have no problem with the maintenance being extended, but what I do have a problem with is that we do not even know anything about this maintenance issue nor is there anything from the community manager to tell us otherwise. So this may be the server upgrades finally but I think to be fair we should have received a little bit of information as to what they were working on. i think a sense of entitlement has set in since these server mergers is all anyone can talk about and yet we are still left out in the cold wondering what is going on behind closed doors. My best guess is that something happened with the server upgrades that are out of Turbines control and it may take many more hours to troubleshoot, or even days, to repair. At least give us a heads up at least is all that I ask.
    What they do during maintenace is none of our buisness. Turbine don't answer to us, as much as some of us would like to think otherwise. Leave them alone and let them do their jobs.

Vyvyanne, thanks for taking the time to post the update. Much appreciated.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is my personal opinion.

Hey everybody. It's Monday and beautiful outside. I love these maintenance periods. I get to get out of my apartment, play tennis, shoot some hoops and take a relaxing swim in the afternoon. Somethings our hard working techs will have to wait till later to enjoy. Right now they are humping their behinds off trying to get all your hopes and dreams back "online". As for me, well..... 7 years and a host of maintenance periods have taught me one thing. Chill, have a beer and enjoy the other side of life, knowing deep down inside, my LOTRO "fix" will come in all good time.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Because you obviously know how their data center is setup, and you have a lot of experience with migrating servers from one state to another.

Vyvyanne has already explained what it is that they are doing, and this project is pretty major. They aren't moving datacenters all the time, and everything must be thoroughly tested and worked through before they go live again.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

If it is being done across all their games why did they post different time windows? DDO calls for a 13 hour window when Lotro originally called for 9. Do you guys talk to each other across all games?

Quote Originally Posted by darthhager View Post
    I have no problem with the maintenance being extended, but what I do have a problem with is that we do not even know anything about this maintenance issue nor is there anything from the community manager to tell us otherwise. So this may be the server

upgrades finally but I think to be fair we should have received a little bit of information as to what they were working on. i think a sense of entitlement has set in since these server mergers is all anyone can talk about and yet we are still left out in the cold

wondering what is going on behind closed doors. My best guess is that something happened with the server upgrades that are out of Turbines control and it may take many more hours to troubleshoot, or even days, to repair. At least give us a heads up at

least is all that I ask.
    Why would you need to know about what is the issue? It is not like you have rights to know if something was/is wrong and they are trying to fix it. You are player and if you think you have more rights to know stuff like that just because you pay for vip then you Sir, are wrong in this one. Focus on gameplay itself more and not in how they fix stuff around here. All you need to know is that it is extended and will be up soon.
    I' am KingZ, Killerhealer, Crowarg and Ganakus.
    ADD ME ON PS5 - Kingcrowarg -
    Hello to my friends in ex Public Enemies, Champions of Middle Earth, War Wargs and B'astards Inglorius.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidens View Post
    If it is being done across all their games why did they post different time windows? DDO calls for a 13 hour window when Lotro originally called for 9. Do you guys talk to each other across all games?
    DDO is also doing a game update today, but they need to wait until the maintenance is done before they can do the actual update. That's why they are having a bigger window.

As much as I'd love to be on lotro right now, this sounds like a really big maintenance job. I'm firmly in the "take as long as you need" camp.
    To the people working on it: hope everything goes smoothly.

DDO is also doing a game update today, but they need to wait until the maintenance is done before they can do the actual update. That's why they are having a bigger window.
    Thank you for your quick response!

I have done migration of applications to new hardware. It is a time consuming job, with lots of waiting while files are copied.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast