We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Exclamation Gilrain and the imminent server closure(s)

Hi fellow Gilrainians,

Some old timers may know me, most people nowadays probably don't. To those who do I'd like to say that I am occasionally online ^^ to all others, heya!

I became aware of the merging of servers which seems imminent now and I wonder if it would be possible to reach a consensus on transferring as much kins and people to the same (1 of 5) remaining server as possible.

For me, with friends and acquaintances in many kins on this server it would be very sad to not being able to reunite with them after merging, due to everyone being scattered across 5 EU servers. Of course this affects not only the people and kins of old, but also the new(er) generation and I hope we (as Gilrainians) can at least try keep our (small) server community together in some way.

I hope this post is not too late and still gets read by enough people to make sure our community is held together as much as possible after a merge to one of the five remaining EU servers.

Your concerned fellow Gilrainian,
    Smartbean
    Gilrainian since May 12th, 2007 and (still) Kinship leader of Broken

EDIT: It seems Gilrain is closing down and we'll be up fairly early for transferring over to the remaining worlds.
    The 5 remaining EU worlds are:

Belegaer - predominantly German
    Gwaihir - predominantly German
    Sirannon - predominantly French
    Laurelin - predominantly English and designated RP
    Evernight - predominantly English

So this leaves the choice for Gilrain limited to Laurelin and Evernight (in my view, and from what I heard most people are deliberating between), I urge every Gilrainian to come here and express their views, concerns and preferences and debate about which server to move to.

At this stage this thread meant for the discussion as there is still time before transferring can actually happen and this thread is not YET the place to state "I'm definitely moving here" or "Kin A/B/C is moving to the ... server". This of course would be the place to mention such things when being more closely to the actual date of the transfers becoming available for the Gilrain server.
    Last edited by Smartbean; Aug 03 2015 at 06:10 PM.
    [CENTER][B]Smartbean[/B] lvl 85 GRD - [B]Smartleaf[/B] lvl 78 LM - [B]Smarty[/B] lvl 75 CPT - [B]Smartina[/B] lvl 66 WRD - [B]Smartor[/B] lvl 66 CHMP[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B]Smartyogi[/B] lvl 43 BEO - [B]Smartini[/B] lvl 38 HNT - [B]Smartion[/B] lvl 38 RNK - [B]Smartharad[/B] lvl 38 BRG[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Leader of [B]Broken[/B] and part of the [B]Allies of Light[/B][/CENTER]

yo ho, yeah it would be nice to know where everyone is going though I only log my creeps once in every red moon anymore.
    The Middle Earth Legion [EN] Gilrain
    Caranja r9 warg, Urgzum r10 reaver, Pilidin 75lvl guardian, Artharos 75lvl hunter
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/y55n.jpg/][IMG]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8476/y55n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I agree and look forward to keeping up with old friends

We are in for any discussion about the move to another server.
    Gilrain has a population with very social and friendly players, would be a shame if that fell apart.

So, Invicta is in.
    Williamfour, Invicta kinleader

Yes, would be good to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter would hate to see everyone scatter to the four winds.

-steve

Maybe Gilrain is one of the servers staying up! #IBelieve

Yeah... but for real even though I haven't played in a long while, I'm interested to see if people I played with in the past are all moving to the same server.
    I've lost interest in this game for a while now, might be because of the lack of people combined with some questionable updates from Turbine but who knows this will bring people back to the game again. I would like to know aswell where people are heading.

~Gloh

This is a nice idea, and I guess largely dependent on what happens today. How many English primary servers are going to be left and how crammed they will be as a result. Also if it would even be worth moving to a primarily German or French language server if it might be a little quieter (especially if the go with a potential 2 En, 2 De, 1 Fr model)?

Depends on if the RP server is Laurellin or not as well.

Sad though it may be to admit, I'm such a sentimental Wossmane that a server that lets me keep most of my character names will be a factor.

Even sadder is that with the: 'save....' petitions all over general discussion, the general feeling I've got over the weekend is: 'we're toast'. Its probably pragmatism, but sad none the less.

https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articl...e-announcement and here we have it, we are going down.
    The Middle Earth Legion [EN] Gilrain
    Caranja r9 warg, Urgzum r10 reaver, Pilidin 75lvl guardian, Artharos 75lvl hunter
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/y55n.jpg/][IMG]http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8476/y55n.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Looks like Evernight then.

Seems to be one out of two options left: Evernight or Laurelin (RP). I second the idea of getting as many as possible of the old Gilrainians to the same server.
    Leader of Tranquility - [EU] Gilrain. Casual adventures since 2007

Target : Evernight

And so it begins.

Assuming we wish to continue to speak English - and avoid prissy internet RP types, then we can move to any server we like.
    As long as it is Evernight :\

Never forget, my fellow Gilrainian supremacists:

This is a war of conquest.

There can be NO going back.

Enslaving the native server population, whilst we help ourselves to 150% of their server's resources, may seem harsh.
    But it has to be either us, or them.

Kill first. Ask questions afterwards.

See you all on Evernight in about a month or so, seems like.

We've been speaking to peeps from other kins on Gilrain already about this. Lots of us want to go to the same place.

But don't write off Laurelin as an "RP server". I'm sure this chap won't mind me quoting and it matches what I've heard talking to people on Laurelin (also talked to peeps on Snowie... hey ho, wasted time! :P)

Cara

---------------------
    Lenkamir

Quote Originally Posted by Tirian-Hammerfist View Post
    A quick question about EU servers...

You've mentioned that there will be at least one roleplay server staying up, and one from each language - so that makes 3, with presumably 2 EN additional non-RP servers staying. This means that EN players (and all those in the EU that choose to go for an English language server, as they prefer it to French or German servers) that don't want to roleplay are going to be constricted to two servers?

Essentially, the question is, will RP still be as heavily enforced on Laurelin as it used to be? Because if so, I'd argue that means there is going to be some serious lag on the two remaining EN servers for the rest of that playerbase.

Tirian, and anyone else concerned about role-play:
    There is no requirement for people on Laurelin to RP. Indeed, many never do. If you don't want to role-play ever that is fine, it just means not using some channels which are meant to be in character, eg "say". Given that most public conversation is out of character as it happens in "world" and OOC (for PvMP) this isn't a problem. Of course, it would be nice if non-RPers don't grief those who do, but that's not too different to normal civility and respectfulness (which is more prevalent fortunately on LOTRO than some other MMOs). Also, there are naming rules, but I doubt many people on any server want to see the names like Aragawn running around Middle Earth.

There is plenty of non-RP activity on Laurelin. In fact, there is little RP outside of Bree most of the time. PvMP, for example, is probably more active than any EU server, except perhaps Snowy. For that reason, we have had quite a lot of recent transfers to the server from dedicated PvMPers, including some from Evernight - notably Krita (the bane of many wargs) and Valdez (jeez, that reaver hits hard ).

Being an RP server means that we perhaps have a relatively mature (on the whole) player-base, with lots of people interested in the lore and sharing in the wonders of the world Tolkein created. We have role-play events like dances. Some daft freeps and creeps even had an impromptu conga-line going near Grams a little while back But if people just want to kill stuff, grind for gear etc, they will find many others with the same approach.

I role-play sometimes, but usually very casually. The same is true for many on the server. The RP I get involved in is often more messing around than true RP - eg drumming if I see a creep dance, or having a bit of fun when mailing kinnies. Personally, I spend most of my time doing PvMP - little time fire my LM to RP when being jumped by warg packs though the animation on lightning storm is that slow I probably have time...

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    www.TheElders.org.uk Gathering the grey-haired, once of Gilrain now of Laurelin
    An EU-based kinship ambling through Middle Earth smelling the roses as well as killing the wolves.

*But mourns for her beloved Gilrain all the same*....
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    www.TheElders.org.uk Gathering the grey-haired, once of Gilrain now of Laurelin
    An EU-based kinship ambling through Middle Earth smelling the roses as well as killing the wolves.

Wynniekins is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Flurgaburburhobbit
    Fail Mini
    Exiles of Arnor shall brave Evernight I think Wish us luck
    Landroval
    Isquariel ~ lvl 105 Rune-keeper / Ithilielle ~ lvl 105 Minstrel

I like the idea of many/most of the kins from Gilrain choosing the same server. I agree with Cara though, I'm not ruling out Laurelin - I'm actually more inclined towards it.

Laurelin is RP, but not strict RP. And RP servers tend to have friendlier communities due to the RP nature. Added to that, it seems more likely to me that trolls and generally objectionable people from other servers would be less likely to join what, in some minds, could be viewed as a more mature (RP) server.
    Last edited by Taik; Aug 03 2015 at 01:53 PM.
    Taiken - Captain [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Merrell - Rune Keeper [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Benrath - Lore Master [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Garat - Minstrel [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Celadan - Hunter [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Yadris - Guardian [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Barry - Champion
    [B]Defenders of Middle-Earth [B][COLOR=Red]|[/COLOR][/B] Laurelin[/B]

The Last Warders will after looooooong deliberations go to Evernight. We hope to see all of you over there.
    Leader of The Last Warders on Gilrain.
    www.thewarders.guildlaunch.com

I can see what Cara and Taik are saying and because of this I feel quite torn. Personally I think Laurelin seems a nice option really if the RP isn't strict, but then again Evernight seems more mainstream so to speak.
    I posted this thread to discuss and get as many people onto the same server after moving, but some seem to have made up their mind already. Which is not a bad thing mind, though it makes chance of a discussion less likely.
    It's already "to go Evernight, or not to go Evernight" rather than discussing whether Laurelin could be a viable option to. This is already a step ahead on what I had in mind for the thread, but hey ho.
    I don't know if this post makes any sense, seems I forgot how to clarify in writing, but I hope it explains/says what I mean.

The OP contains a EDIT now to more accurately reflect the choices and to stress this meant to be a open discussion at this point, rather than just a thread to state where everyone is going.
    Last edited by Smartbean; Aug 03 2015 at 05:05 PM.
    [CENTER][B]Smartbean[/B] lvl 85 GRD - [B]Smartleaf[/B] lvl 78 LM - [B]Smarty[/B] lvl 75 CPT - [B]Smartina[/B] lvl 66 WRD - [B]Smartor[/B] lvl 66 CHMP[/CENTER]
    [CENTER][B]Smartyogi[/B] lvl 43 BEO - [B]Smartini[/B] lvl 38 HNT - [B]Smartion[/B] lvl 38 RNK - [B]Smartharad[/B] lvl 38 BRG[/CENTER]
    [CENTER]Leader of [B]Broken[/B] and part of the [B]Allies of Light[/B][/CENTER]

Wynniekins is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Flurgaburburhobbit
    Fail Mini
    While I understand what you are trying to achieve, Smartie, we also have to listen to our player base. And for us there was only ever a question between Evernight and Snowie, and that decision has been taken from us by today's announcement. I would love to see lots of us Gilrainians end up on the same server, but tbh, there will be so many more of us that things will never be the same again. So I look at this as a new beginning of sorts, with some friends old and some new (I hope). But don't get me wrong, I'll forever love the server I rolled Wyn on all those years ago and will wear my title proudly over on Evernight. And I will always remember Gilrain very fondly indeed
    Landroval
    Isquariel ~ lvl 105 Rune-keeper / Ithilielle ~ lvl 105 Minstrel

I think kins need to decide for themselves what to do if i'm honest, this discussion is good her too, so wont take that away. I just think that from some comments I have seen in world chat sums it all up.

Over the last few days seen so many people saying things like, lets all go to same server, make that server the new Gilrain, etc etc

That will never happen, purely because the only thing that made Gilrain, was the low player base and recognising most people over all thses years.

Gilrain is only Gilrain because of what we made it from launch, you cant just go to another server and try to rebuild that really.

Now I have no clue if i'm talking gibberish or not, I just got typing and then got a bit side tracked... I think, not sure tbh.

Think I will stop typing now, unless I made sense, if so I was meant too, if not then it wasn't me typing this.
    Retired from EM until things are kinda balanced again

Just read back what I wrote. I think I made some points just not very well.

The biggest problem we have right now is we don't know what to expect of servers, the 2 servers we have to choose from right now will be different to what they end up at once everyone is transferred. I guess the bigger thing is will they enforce more of the conditions on the rp servers aswell. I mean at the moment a lot are guidelines. But who's to say they won't moderate more of what goes on in future when they have less servers to watch over.

Mehhhh I dunno, stupid server shutdowns!
    Retired from EM until things are kinda balanced again

The option to create some sort of chat channel that only people from gilrain know is always there.

It may not the most elegant solution, but that's one way of keeping the gilrain community intact.

Just my 2 cents.

Very sad to see Gilrain go, but it wasn't really much of a surprise.

I cant connect to the game atm so dont know what Fenris will decide (and I will go where kin will go ) but personnaly I like the option of Larelin more than Evernight. I think that Laurelin will have smaller community and also nicer than Evernight after transfer. Hope that troll people wont tranfser to RP server but some probably will. This game has too many of them. Other thing is the fact that I probably wont b eplaying much anyway as this game lost its charm long time ago and Turbine is doing nothing to improve that.
    R7-R7-R6-R6-R4-R4-R4

Hello,

I am a RPer in Laurelin, I was curious about how you are feeling about server closures so I checked here.
    I am part of the big RP community of Laurelin and I know our concerns.

We would WELCOME non-RP kinships as well as RP kinships. Our greatest concern is to have Laurelin influxed with trolls and have them destroy the RP environment. In Laurelin the players do not have to RP but moral, social, decent behavior is valued above all else.

We try to keep our server clean for RP and decent gaming. So, kinships (people who already have social ties and friendship) would be very welcome in Laurelin.

Just my two-cents, of course, but if you are a RPing or non-RPing dwarf kinship thinking to move to Laurelin, we would also love to be in touch with you as Durin's Folk of Laurelin.

As others I'm a bit torn. On one hand I never engage in RP, so going for a designated RP server would feel a bit odd. On the other side I also see the point about a possibly more mature, less troll-infested, populace on the other hand...

Oh, choices, choices!
    Leader of Tranquility - [EU] Gilrain. Casual adventures since 2007

In Laurelin, RP happens on in Bree, Rivendell, Shire, Falathlorn, Thorin's Hall, Snowbourne and some spots where people choose for events. You do not always come across RPing characters while questing.

Most of the Laurelin population do not RP. As I am a RPer on my many characters, I also have non-RP characters in Laurelin, solely for questing.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast