We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Bring Back real Raids

Hey all,

So we've had this business plan that means we wont have real raids for a while now. (Raids like OD and ToA, not big battles).
    And I gotta say, maaan do i miss those. When that was announced it seriously felt like a nail in the coffin, I know that it wasn't long after that that my server (gilrain) had a plummet in population size.
    I know that the announced reason at least was to make it a game more accessible for casual players or something but whats a MMO without raids?
    Pleeeeeaaaaase can we have a return to raiding, big battles filling the gap. I dont wanna fight something like Shelob in a big battle or skirm raid, or even a 6 man.
    The lotro population has been at an all time low, but announcing raiding could be part of the progression to helping it get back!
    I know that alot of people, especially those that have left, believe that the people in charge of this game genuinely don't care about the player base any more and are trying to get whats left out of a dying game.
    Help prove them wrong and give us content that I think the majority genuinely want, not just filler content.

Thanks

Manic of Gilrain
    Freeps: Remylebeau the Champion, Proud member of Shadow and Flame, Manic the Out-Lore, Proud defender of Middle Earth
    Creeps: Cyanax the Defiler, Wacther of Amnesia, Mlarg the Warg, Malzak the Reaver

The Turbine folks that were all against traditional group content are all gone from the Lotro team in 2015. Much my surprise, wWe got some PvP love in 2015. We got some traditional group content in 2015 - mixture of size 3 and 6.

In order to get a new raid later on in 2016, what we are going to have to do is actively run the existing traditional group content in 2015 including the new stuff. Do enough of that and I suspect Vyvyanne will authorize one raid and some more smaller size model group content for 2016.

It will be very interesting to see what is in the next annual Producer letter which come out in January, 2016,
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Me, I don't raid, but I feel that the folks that do raid should get some love from Turbine. I'm all for this suggestion.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post
    The Turbine folks that were all against traditional group content are all gone from the Lotro team in 2015. Much my surprise, wWe got some PvP love in 2015. We got some traditional group content in 2015 - mixture of size 3 and 6.

In order to get a new raid later on in 2016, what we are going to have to do is actively run the existing traditional group content in 2015 including the new stuff. Do enough of that and I suspect Vyvyanne will authorize one raid and some more smaller size model group content for 2016.

It will be very interesting to see what is in the next annual Producer letter which come out in January, 2016,
    thats really good if that is the case. I just hope they see that there is a demand and general want for it.
    Freeps: Remylebeau the Champion, Proud member of Shadow and Flame, Manic the Out-Lore, Proud defender of Middle Earth
    Creeps: Cyanax the Defiler, Wacther of Amnesia, Mlarg the Warg, Malzak the Reaver

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Me, I don't raid, but I feel that the folks that do raid should get some love from Turbine. I'm all for this suggestion.
    I'm with you. I don't raid, but I would like to see a new raid for those who do.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is my personal opinion.

Back in January I would have said not in a million years, but now with all the great content and fantastic dev progress out so far this year who knows? At this point a raid may actually well within the realm of possibility for 2016..
    Frodo shot first.

I'm adding my vote for new raids too. Didn't raid much, but when I was with a nice group of folks...I had fun. I prefer them over BB's any day. So, yeah...two thumbs up for new raids.
    "The road goes ever on......" ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

I'm glad there is new group content coming, but it so hard to have motivation to continue playing this game without prospect of a raid. I for one don't know if I can wait until the Jan 2016 Producers Letter, only to yet again be let down.

Here's hoping we will get new classic raid content.
    ~~Arkenstone~~

Quote Originally Posted by Yula_the_Mighty View Post

Using that model would mean that they would create content based on what people are using in 2105 though.
    The problem with that is people are mostly herded to solo DA instances and BB's. And that isn't because they are more interesting content, or necessarily because people enjoy them - it's because that is where Turbine put all the rewards.

It's not necessarily choice that makes folk do DA dailies or BB's, they do them, out of requirement because everything is gated behind them.

We only have three major battles left in our journey. Two of those are iconic and then there is the black gate, which although not as iconic as the other two, is still major.

If what is currently being used the most becomes a deciding factor in how these iconic battles are developed, and current use relies heavily on where the rewards are on current content, then that says one thing to me - BB's or solo dailies are in our future. Because everyone uses them at the moment and they have done all through 2015 - out of necessity.

It will be devastating if that turns out to be the case. Those two iconic battles should never go down that road and nor should the black gate. Hell, I'd rather see them as three-mans with no atmosphere than that.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_JD View Post
    I'm glad there is new group content coming, but it so hard to have motivation to continue playing this game without prospect of a raid. I for one don't know if I can wait until the Jan 2016 Producers Letter, only to yet again be let down.

Here's hoping we will get new classic raid content.
    There was talk about Shelob's lair as a possibility. Maybe Turbine doesn't have a bugdet to produce a raid for U17 and then Shelob's lair next year, but maybe they are already working on the latter. There is reason to be hopeful, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    Using that model would mean that they would create content based on what people are using in 2105 though.
    The problem with that is people are mostly herded to solo DA instances and BB's. And that isn't because they are more interesting content, or necessarily because people enjoy them - it's because that is where Turbine put all the rewards.

It's not necessarily choice that makes folk do DA dailies or BB's, they do them, out of requirement because everything is gated behind them.

We only have three major battles left in our journey. Two of those are iconic and then there is the black gate, which although not as iconic as the other two, is still major.

If what is currently being used the most becomes a deciding factor in how these iconic battles are developed, and current use relies heavily on where the rewards are on current content, then that says one thing to me - BB's or solo dailies are in our future. Because everyone uses them at the moment and they have done all through 2015 - out of necessity.

It will be devastating if that turns out to be the case. Those two iconic battles should never go down that road and nor should the black gate. Hell, I'd rather see them as three-mans with no atmosphere than that.
    I think this putting all rewards in BBs or forcing people to do them otherwise worked for U16, people indeed farmed Pelargir on a daily basis like sheep. However, these people are now so sick and tired of it, they either left the game or left the PvE aspect of the game. Take it from me, the vast majority of those who farmed Pela in U16 will not farm another BB in U17. The next update will bring the truth to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Coeprandua View Post
    I think this putting all rewards in BBs or forcing people to do them otherwise worked for U16, people indeed farmed Pelargir on a daily basis like sheep. However, these people are now so sick and tired of it, they either left the game or left the PvE aspect of the game. Take it from me, the vast majority of those who farmed Pela in U16 will not farm another BB in U17. The next update will bring the truth to the surface.

Oh, but some will - quite a few will and that's what's unfortunate. They won't give a damn that what they do in the here and now may affect what they get in the future - all they care about is looking good. They will farm it to death, get what they need, then as always, stand up and shout about content being meh (T1 OD U14 anyone).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it won't happen that way for the next few updates. We're too close to the end now for that nonsense. The word iconic needs to mean something now.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    The word iconic needs to mean something now.
    If they again use iconic moments as cut-off moments, rather than highlight them, it just shows that Turbine can't pull off a good story experience anymore.
    ~Dwarrowdelf (Bomb Squad)~
    Freeps: Vulcwen (R8 LM), Vulciel (lvl 100 RK), and some lower level alts.. Creep: Shadowweb (R6 spider)
    My ideas on how LM should be: [url=https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?543323-LM-revamp-reconsidered]LM Revamp reconsidered[/url]

Hi. I can only add another + for this. Sign me up and all.

The 3 and 6 man osgilliaths are a promising sign, it means they ARE listening at least to some degree. Now the devs just have to PROVE to us that raid content is still a thing they feel is worth the time and effort to put into it. However, unfortunately it all comes down to what the darn number crunchers deem is a worthwhile venture...and frankly that has been the bane of lotro since 2010, the number crunchers and WB in entirety. That this game ever had to be purchased by them...well its quite simply put the worst thing ever. I feel had people including the Turbine team itself realised just what kind of watered down garbage WB would pretty much force them to change it into...they never would have allowed the sale. Hindsight is a ###### though huh? I mean dont get me wrong, i want the population in lotro to thrive, and I am aware the game was in trouble when WB bought it... and maybe free2play and the store and all the rest had to happen...but surely did Turbine have to sell out as much as they did...there have been promising signs of late things are beginning to get better again...that it continues however...time will tell. When you get right down to it what Turbine want to do, and what they can ACTUALLY do, is decided by WB...I suppose in the next year or so we shall see for sure WBs true colours...and if my critique of their treatment of this game is fully justified.

So. Warner Brothers. This is my message to you. Finance the implementation of more raiding content into lotro. This is what a significant number of the players want. And no, I don't mean hardcore raiders who got butthurt by the choices you forced upon Turbine, I mean gamers, who want to have fun, and part of that fun should be the challenge of something designed to test our abilities as gamers. Rohan, both east and west should have a raid questline, that includes 3-6-12 and even 24 man raids, so should the Gondor regions. As nice as it is to see some fellowship content from Osgilliath...those 3 are simply not enough for the amount of neglect you have visited upon that aspect of the game. You will also make this game better in adding such things because just like with up to Isengard it will mean there is something for EVERYONE...and that's what WE want. So come on Warner Brothers, show us you care about lotro. Show us you care about what WE want...and if you can not or are unwilling to or simply don't care...PLEASE SELL LOTRO TO A COMPANY THAT WILL TREAT IT RIGHT. [Or give it wholly back to Turbine and just walk away]
    Ordgaric. Level 100 Guardian. Saelrein. Level 100 hunter. Nimraloth. Level 100 Captain. Leofwyne. Level 100 Warden. Others. Feandor. Lv 85 Champion. Doradonna. Level 82 Minstrel. Serabrand. Level 63 Burgler. Glothren. Level 63 Runekeeper. Lythgier. Level 50 beorning. Malvadan. Level 44 Loremaster.