We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

How about you fix the lag before allowing world transfers?

How about your "non transfer-related issues" where actually related to how ###### the servers and everything are? The game is lagging so bad I can't really remember seeing anything like this in the past 4 years I played this game. And goes worse and worse and worse. Seriously, consider a bloody update to your intel before you get yourself into something that will go #### and make you lose even more customers.

It is being worked on.

We have to wait for the new server hardware to be brought online.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Yula, I thougjt the hardware was already being used? What was the logic of transfering people before that?

Quote Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
    Yula, I thougjt the hardware was already being used? What was the logic of transfering people before that?
    My guess is that people are starting to get antsy and move to other games because the wait is killing them. The hardware wasn't ready to bring up before the transfer process. Neither requires the other to proceed so they are going with what they have available. IMO.
    Sig looked hideous so I sent it to its room. It can come back and
    show off after it has thought about what it did.

Yula, I thougjt the hardware was already being used?
    Nope. See this post:
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...86#post7427886
    from Vyyanne.
    What was the logic of transfering people before that?
    It appears that Turbine wants to get some debug and run time on the new transfer tool before the new hardware is online.

As is so often the case with very complicated and large projects the original plan goes off the rails as it interacts with reality. You have to make changes and the redo the plan as the project progresses.

I believe the military expresses this serious issue with "No plan survives contact with the enemy".
    Last edited by Yula_the_Mighty; Aug 20 2015 at 07:23 PM.
    Unless stated otherwise, all content in this post is My Personal Opinion.

Interesting read. Sounds like a hot mess in the making that could leave nobody happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhiu View Post
    My guess is that people are starting to get antsy and move to other games because the wait is killing them. The hardware wasn't ready to bring up before the transfer process. Neither requires the other to proceed so they are going with what they have available. IMO.
    Spot on.

So many people have already quit, and they are losing more each day. This entire process is a complete disaster and nothing about it makes sense. I have been playing online games since UO, and in all my years I have never seen such a sorry attempt at a server consolidation.

They should have just merged servers and been done with it. This will haunt them until the death of this game, and then be talked about for years as the sorriest merger in gaming history.

I just don't see how merging people onto old hardeware that isn't able to handle the strain, which was I thought the highlight of this change, and making folks mesirable before having to change servers is logical. Sort of screwed which ever way they do it. But what worries me is if higher population servers helps if most folks wanted one of two and can't move.

The idea of Brandy bound types bleeding into Landy because of delays is not cool. The idea of the majority of the rest wanting to get on Landy slipping away because they delay trmasfers to us would be worrisome. The idea this could grind out for months blows.

Basic uncertainty sucks the most.

This could have been a big revival. Hope they can salvage some of that.

Because the transfers are only among the top 10 servers, which are already big. Their transfers will allow them to reallocate the population. They are essentially just balancing out those servers (and reducing Brandywine's load). They don't really need the new hardware until they open the other 19 servers.

If, by some unlikely chance, one of the 10 servers started to get overloaded before the hardware is installed, they can just temporarily turn off the transfers as they have with Brandywine. But it just isn't probable. These 10 servers are not shutting down. The only people transferring are those who WANT to transfer -- those who do not like whatever server they are on right now. None of them have to transfer. It will be different when the other 19 servers open to the system, because then ALL of those populations must transfer (or otherwise quit the game). Those will have way more transfers happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnier View Post
    Spot on.

So many people have already quit, and they are losing more each day. This entire process is a complete disaster and nothing about it makes sense. I have been playing online games since UO, and in all my years I have never seen such a sorry attempt at a server consolidation.

They should have just merged servers and been done with it. This will haunt them until the death of this game, and then be talked about for years as the sorriest merger in gaming history.
    I respectfully disagree. The current problems aren't about the transfers themselves. They are about unrelated systems. This is the best consolidation I've ever seen, and, having been through straight-up merges, they left a taste far more bitter than this consolidation ever could. Server mergers just make it rough on everyone. This consolidation at least gives people a chance at getting a better deal.
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

They expected to have the new hardware online last Spring. Obviously, there were delays, that even went beyond the buffer time.

It doesn't seem like the current lag is due to old servers, it seems more like it's network systems, note last night, lag in game, on ALL worlds at the same time, next thing you hear, players can't log in, then website down.

Transfers were planned for summer probably, when the game is played the least, quiet time, before the autumn busy season and holidays. They got pushed back since the hardware was delayed. However there's no point not working on it or canceling the plans and blowing all that money and investment.

Other changes to the game have been phenomenal, well executed, and exactly what players want, despite players never saying what they actually want, just saying what they believe they want.

I believe this has been planned excellently, and handled phenomenally. Note, they have put transfers on hold until other issues are resolved. However transfers mostly involve users, not staff, but they are erring on the side of caution (note those who have transferred have been happy/successful for the most part).
    Link to our community LOTRO store google spreadsheet pricelist and conversion rates, please contribute too!: https://goo.gl/wxPqCm

Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post

I respectfully disagree. The current problems aren't about the transfers themselves. They are about unrelated systems. This is the best consolidation I've ever seen, and, having been through straight-up merges, they left a taste far more bitter than this consolidation ever could. Server mergers just make it rough on everyone. This consolidation at least gives people a chance at getting a better deal.
    I'm assuming these two go together here. I agree and disagree with both of you. Obviously I agree with the "Spot on" part as this was in ref to my post. I am also assuming that "I respectfully disagree" refers to his comment that this is "the sorriest merger in gaming history."

I could be wrong. I am saying that people might be going to other games because the stress and anxiety of waiting for something that might adversely affect them eases when they are playing something else. This is my issue. I want to play LotRO but a lot of this who/what/where/when stuff is driving me bat#### crazy. And I'm not directly involved.

The issue is, as Mar says, not one of mechanics of the transfer but of the Organization.
    • Norwei has a point, and not the one on top of her head, that nobody policed the recommended server at all. I even heard someone on a live stream say something to the effect of, they probably should change that. That is an important feature for new players. To have ignored it basically for a year or so is, well cheating imo. Turbine skewed the population by not paying attention to this. WATER under the bridge.
    • When the CM servers relocated across the pond there was nothing, again, to show new players a real recommended server. Before even getting to subscription panel there should have been a server location issue and a way to access only the servers you wanted to join based on intelligent description. More water...
    • Prior to even discussing this with the player base the launcher should have been tweaked to recommend servers by population numbers and physical locations of the client with a side note that play times on different servers might be dictated by different factors. Again, water.
    • Naming conventions should have been reported to the player base sooner. Probably would have been wise to mention workarounds.
    • Lookups on these forums would have also been nice, as we could see at a glance if a name was available on which servers and cross compare so players could stake their claim.
    • Last, IMO, Blue names should have repeated that this is not a merge. Please don't use that term. Its not a merge. A merge is a horrible event. Clustering is only slightly better. Close multiple threads that repeat the same questions. There was one sticky but that seemed to be hard to get to for some people that just hit the big button that says "Create New Thread" and fire off some insults, whining, demands

If this was an expansion there would be an inviolate timeline. There isn't.
    If this was a merge it would have happened without a whimper but with a huge wave of complaints. It is not the transfering that is the issue it is the expectations, realistic or unrealistic, were voiced too early in the year. "We are working on solutions to the problems of lag and server saturation currently. Since we have no timeline, and are at the planning stages we cannot give you more details." Of course with this done in January and it is now August and no progress as far as the player base can see it appears as though the big 5 are on the upper decks of the Titanic, while everyone else is in steerage. This seems, to me, to be an accurate picture of how the people that can't get off their world feel. While Athena is trying to get all the 5 in their lifeboats the steerage feel ignored and waiting for the band to start playing on deck. The guy with the key to the gates below deck is no where to be found by anyone atm... There are enough lifeboats but saying that doesn't give the guys behind the locked gates much hope.

The language of both the hardware db update and server consolidation, happening at the same time, is confusing to a lot of people. SCRAP the words "Transfer" and "Move". Use words that may not mean anything close to what they really are. Because server moves is really not specific to the players. But server fly or world flop, once defined as the moving of your character from closing server to surviving server is less confusing. I'm gonna flop on Brandy soon as this is over, because after the server build there will be more room.

I commend Athena for her active part in the informing of the great unwashed. I still say free transfers from now (or when it comes back up) until the end of 2016. The hardware will be up. People who wanted to go to server A and had to go to server B because that is where their kin went get a redoux, People with placeholder names that don't need them will age out and more people can get the name they want just because it a longer time. Everyone gets a free name change. Rather, grant these through out 2016 once a month, like vip tp. Pencils have erasers for a reason. It has taken you most of the year to even get it ready for us (the transfer system) and you are expecting us to make snap decisions. So unfair. We would like to see where the ashes settle as well.

I'm assuming these two go together here. I agree and disagree with both of you. Obviously I agree with the "Spot on" part as this was in ref to my post. I am also assuming that "I respectfully disagree" refers to his comment that this is "the sorriest merger in gaming history."

I could be wrong. I am saying that people might be going to other games because the stress and anxiety of waiting for something that might adversely affect them eases when they are playing something else. This is my issue. I want to play LotRO but a lot of this who/what/where/when stuff is driving me bat#### crazy. And I'm not directly involved.

The issue is, as Mar says, not one of mechanics of the transfer but of the Organization
    You are correct. I was disagreeing with three things mentioned by Linnier:

1) That it was the sorriest merger in gaming history
    2) That it was a complete disaster
    3) That they should have just doing a straight-up merger

My reasons, in the same order, would be:

1) That I've definitely seen sorrier mergers
    2) That it isn't a disaster at all; in fact, the issues currently being dealt with aren't with the transfer system itself, but with network and account issues; beta testing was overwhelmingly positive
    3) This goes back to #1; I saw a straight-up merger and it was dreadful; between getting forced to go to a specific server vs being allowed to pick where I want to go... I always will choose the latter, and if any problems did arise with the system, they would happen just as much in the first as in the second

• Norwei has a point, and not the one on top of her head, that nobody policed the recommended server at all. I even heard someone on a live stream say something to the effect of, they probably should change that. That is an important feature for new players. To have ignored it basically for a year or so is, well cheating imo. Turbine skewed the population by not paying attention to this. WATER under the bridge.
    • When the CM servers relocated across the pond there was nothing, again, to show new players a real recommended server. Before even getting to subscription panel there should have been a server location issue and a way to access only the servers you wanted to join based on intelligent description. More water...
    • Prior to even discussing this with the player base the launcher should have been tweaked to recommend servers by population numbers and physical locations of the client with a side note that play times on different servers might be dictated by different factors. Again, water.
    • Naming conventions should have been reported to the player base sooner. Probably would have been wise to mention workarounds.
    • Lookups on these forums would have also been nice, as we could see at a glance if a name was available on which servers and cross compare so players could stake their claim.
    • Last, IMO, Blue names should have repeated that this is not a merge. Please don't use that term. Its not a merge. A merge is a horrible event. Clustering is only slightly better. Close multiple threads that repeat the same questions. There was one sticky but that seemed to be hard to get to for some people that just hit the big button that says "Create New Thread" and fire off some insults, whining, demands

If this was an expansion there would be an inviolate timeline. There isn't.
    If this was a merge it would have happened without a whimper but with a huge wave of complaints. It is not the transfering that is the issue it is the expectations, realistic or unrealistic, were voiced too early in the year. "We are working on solutions to the problems of lag and server saturation currently. Since we have no timeline, and are at the planning stages we cannot give you more details." Of course with this done in January and it is now August and no progress as far as the player base can see it appears as though the big 5 are on the upper decks of the Titanic, while everyone else is in steerage. This seems, to me, to be an accurate picture of how the people that can't get off their world feel. While Athena is trying to get all the 5 in their lifeboats the steerage feel ignored and waiting for the band to start playing on deck. The guy with the key to the gates below deck is no where to be found by anyone atm... There are enough lifeboats but saying that doesn't give the guys behind the locked gates much hope.
    You did confuse me with the above part. Norwei hasn't posted in this thread, and none of those issues are topics here either. I'm guessing you're just referencing the other thread here?

The language of both the hardware db update and server consolidation, happening at the same time, is confusing to a lot of people. SCRAP the words "Transfer" and "Move". Use words that may not mean anything close to what they really are. Because server moves is really not specific to the players. But server fly or world flop, once defined as the moving of your character from closing server to surviving server is less confusing. I'm gonna flop on Brandy soon as this is over, because after the server build there will be more room.
    This part I think is just an unfortunate side-effect of the English language (and probably others) where words mean several things and context plays a huge role. It'd be nice if there was a better way to distinguish, but I'm not sure whether it's possible. Definitely not this late in the game. Consider the Epic Battles. They were initially called Big Battles in beta, but by the time they went live they were formally identified by Turbine as Epic Battles. I still get people asking me what I mean when I say EBs, and they go, "Oh, you mean BBs." xD

I commend Athena for her active part in the informing of the great unwashed. I still say free transfers from now (or when it comes back up) until the end of 2016. The hardware will be up. People who wanted to go to server A and had to go to server B because that is where their kin went get a redoux, People with placeholder names that don't need them will age out and more people can get the name they want just because it a longer time. Everyone gets a free name change. Rather, grant these through out 2016 once a month, like vip tp. Pencils have erasers for a reason. It has taken you most of the year to even get it ready for us (the transfer system) and you are expecting us to make snap decisions. So unfair. We would like to see where the ashes settle as well.
    I agree with at least some parts of this. Vyv has been doing an outstanding job keeping us in the loop. I think with the unexpected delays it might be more fair for people to keep free transfers going a little longer than originally expected, but more like an extra month or so. The end of 2016, though? That's nearly a year and a half away. If people can't figure out where they want to be by then, well, there may not be any pleasing them. xD Besides, that opens the door to way too much server hopping and after the grace period Turbine could probably make good use of the transfer fees.

I also don't think everyone needs a free name change. If their name gets a forced change from the transfers, that's one thing. But if I'm Bob on Brandywine before the transfers and I'm Bob on Brandywine after the transfers, because I didn't need to move and no one was able to take my name, I don't see why I should receive a free name change. I'd be changing my name because I just didn't like it, not as a result of the transfers themselves, if that makes sense.

Yeah, Mar, I was ref: another post when I brought up her name. (I just ignored her btw) The whole issue she brought up about Evernight being on the recommended position for so long. I was thinking maybe a mouseover tooltip that explained first that it was formerly a codemaster server and could not ever be transfered to a NA server. Second that the prime time of the server might not coincide with other servers in NA. Also, when the 'build' is finished, add where the physical location of hardware is.

As for naming... lore monkeys get their panties in a twist if something isn't named correctly. The game designers pay close attention to that. Yet the people presenting change to us do not. For years I did not know that the 'proper' term for that space where Amdir and Aragorn lounge around Archet, is called "The Intro" and that the part before that is "The Tutorial". I use a lot of personal short hand as my accent. Cuz i <3 it. It may drive people up a wall and think I'm ignorant. IDC. If I am explaining something and confuse people, that drives ME up a wall. Note that when a patch is done and someone announces that the game is up the words are usually something like "All worlds are now open" yet if they are talking about a server such as Arkenstone it is a server not a world. Sometimes native english speakers puzzle over that. What does the rest of the world think? You would think they already know that if a blue name posts something and one word is out of place half the Lotrohrim will harp on that one word... forever.

Need is such a harsh word. [again with the words...] I say this because you never know who is willing to give up their name to let some long standing player have it when moved off world. I have a few mules and lowbies that if someone asked me to give up a name here or there I'd be glad to. Problem is, *I* would have to pay for that change and the person incoming would still have a free name change. I thought long and hard over this. It is something to make the transitions go smoother. Some, nay lots, of people many never use them. Some may need a couple. [see above for my thoughts on need] Once a month, after Jan 2016, a toon gets a name change. They do not roll over. Everyone who has to have a -1 gets an opportunity to find the placeholder and send mail. Its not perfect but it could help keep GM's working on stuff other than this issue. Plus, if it is a matter of free name changes vs hiring more GM to handle the overload the change is a no brainer. Operative word here is "if". See... I do try to think through things I'm sure there is something I'm missing but I can see where it might be a problem.

Free xfer and name change once a month through Dec 2016, because players have a right to screw up the first time.

I still stand by my Titanic ref.

Because the transfers are only among the top 10 servers, which are already big. Their transfers will allow them to reallocate the population. They are essentially just balancing out those servers (and reducing Brandywine's load). They don't really need the new hardware until they open the other 19 servers.

If, by some unlikely chance, one of the 10 servers started to get overloaded before the hardware is installed, they can just temporarily turn off the transfers as they have with Brandywine. But it just isn't probable. These 10 servers are not shutting down. The only people transferring are those who WANT to transfer -- those who do not like whatever server they are on right now. None of them have to transfer. It will be different when the other 19 servers open to the system, because then ALL of those populations must transfer (or otherwise quit the game). Those will have way more transfers happening.

When the game is said and done, I will look for you to still be praising this team. No one can offer any critique without you coming to Turbines rescue, like you are going to get a special treat.

I would love to know what other game you have played that offered an even worse merger than this. I have been merged in EQ, EQ2, SWG, WoW and SWToR; not once have I ever witnessed anything close to being this awful. Whoever made this decision is hopefully released from the team soon, this has cost us hundreds if not thousands of players and many more will follow.

The six month waiting game, not to mention players stealing other players names and then trying to SELL them the name back! Along with trolls now buying up houses in all the districts on all the remaining servers and then offering them to another player at an increased profit, just to troll.

If you honestly think this was better than just combining worlds with a FORCED merge, then I feel sorry for you. This has caused nothing but chaos, a plethora of drama and stress on other players.

The community loses here, and yet you praise the team responsible for it.

"Thumbs Up"

In spite of all the b'ing and moaning what turbine is currently doing makes perfect sense. They are working on setting up the new hardware and testing it. While at the same time testing transfers on old tried and true hardware so they know any problems with transfers are caused by the transfer process not the tied and true hardware.

They are also starting the transfers on servers that will have limited amount of people using the transfers, so as to cause the least headaches as problems are encountered. On top of that allowing transfers between what will be the only worlds when all is said and done, allows some relief for Brandywine. The only transfers currently are off world. So while we are waiting for the new hardware this should provide some relief for this beleaguered world.

I really do not understand what this current B fest is all about.

Take a pill and chill.

Clearly, there have been some transfer issues. I thought the SWTOR mergers was a lot more annoying, & had less 'good intentions' than this one. I don't remember any technical issues. (I also stopped playing about that time, though I did play occasionally a year or so later) I get the feeling the current hardware is rusting & falling apart. (probably not literally) I can see why they wouldn't fix it, if we're moving to something new soon, but the game is certainly not at its shiny-new best.

On the other hand, assuming we do move to a better system, I have hope this will give the game a nice boost. (I suppose it's too much to hope that they'll revert or fix the male elf's stance? I really hate it now... Off topic!)

I get that some people remain perky & loyal to gaming companies, & that this makes other people mad. But if someone wants to be 'glass half full,' I'm not sure it's necessary to bash them for it. I'm personally more sick of cynics & end-of-the-worlders, though I'm sure 'glass half full' is equally valid.

Back to the 'half full' mindset, it seems to me that the new (newer) team has been quite communicative. Part of me would like the complete details of what's going on. "I spilled coffee on it." We're under the same attack that's been barraging Blizzard." "God knows." But while this isn't the 'best,' I'm not sure I'm feeling all that offended, either.

1. I respectfully disagree. The current problems aren't about the transfers themselves. They are about unrelated systems.
    2. This is the best consolidation I've ever seen
    1. Surely, you are not that naive. Who knows, maybe you are. The mere fact that within minutes of the transfer process going live (for the EU, and then later for US), things went bad...that says enough for someone without blinders on.
    2. Based on what? It hasn't even successfully happened yet....??

If this is the best merger, there must have been a lot of explosions in past consolidations!

Question: When did WoW merge servers? I don't remember anything like that.

And SWTOR didn't let us pick, did it? I seem to remember not. I also much prefer that choice, especially since people have been pretty good at defining the remaining server personalities.

My guess is that people are starting to get antsy and move to other games because the wait is killing them.
    +10. So much, THIS ^^
    Granted, the wait isn't "killing me", I've just got bored of the whole process.
    FFXIV has my full attention, I just pop in here to check on any progress (in Turbine's case, lack thereof).
    I mean, what is there to do in-game anyway...roll alt #13? No thanks.

Yeah, Mar, I was ref: another post when I brought up her name. (I just ignored her btw) The whole issue she brought up about Evernight being on the recommended position for so long. I was thinking maybe a mouseover tooltip that explained first that it was formerly a codemaster server and could not ever be transfered to a NA server. Second that the prime time of the server might not coincide with other servers in NA. Also, when the 'build' is finished, add where the physical location of hardware is.
    Yeah, you and me both.

Anyway, I think it might be confusing to mark it as a Codemasters server (since most people probably wouldn't know what that is; they would at least know the difference between EU and US). I think the current method is sufficient. Some games I play (SWTOR, for example) have different tabs on their server selection screen, and the various tabs are for different geographical locations. After the consolidation, LOTRO won't really have enough servers to warrant that (and they'd only have two regions anyway), but the current tags seem reasonable to me. Though, as you mention, it might be beneficial to add the timezone/location the servers are in so that people have an idea of the distance and time difference.

As for naming... lore monkeys get their panties in a twist if something isn't named correctly. The game designers pay close attention to that. Yet the people presenting change to us do not. For years I did not know that the 'proper' term for that space where Amdir and Aragorn lounge around Archet, is called "The Intro" and that the part before that is "The Tutorial". I use a lot of personal short hand as my accent. Cuz i <3 it. It may drive people up a wall and think I'm ignorant. IDC. If I am explaining something and confuse people, that drives ME up a wall. Note that when a patch is done and someone announces that the game is up the words are usually something like "All worlds are now open" yet if they are talking about a server such as Arkenstone it is a server not a world. Sometimes native english speakers puzzle over that. What does the rest of the world think? You would think they already know that if a blue name posts something and one word is out of place half the Lotrohrim will harp on that one word... forever.

Need is such a harsh word. [again with the words...] I say this because you never know who is willing to give up their name to let some long standing player have it when moved off world. I have a few mules and lowbies that if someone asked me to give up a name here or there I'd be glad to. Problem is, *I* would have to pay for that change and the person incoming would still have a free name change. I thought long and hard over this. It is something to make the transitions go smoother. Some, nay lots, of people many never use them. Some may need a couple. [see above for my thoughts on need] Once a month, after Jan 2016, a toon gets a name change. They do not roll over. Everyone who has to have a -1 gets an opportunity to find the placeholder and send mail. Its not perfect but it could help keep GM's working on stuff other than this issue. Plus, if it is a matter of free name changes vs hiring more GM to handle the overload the change is a no brainer. Operative word here is "if". See... I do try to think through things I'm sure there is something I'm missing but I can see where it might be a problem.
    You make a good point. I hadn't thought of that. We may have lowbies that we just don't care about. "xsje,jsgker" is as good a name to us as "Bob" because they are just crafting and storage mules. But after the time (and possibly TP) we spent on storage space and crafting advancement, we couldn't really just reroll. :/

After reconsideration, I've changed my mind. A free rename token (just one should be enough per character, I think) for all players. I don't understand the "once a month" part; that's the only part I would be of a different opinion about.

Free xfer and name change once a month through Dec 2016, because players have a right to screw up the first time.
    I'd rather if we could have a free transfer every other day for one month. If I had to wait a whole month before trying another server, I'd just not do it. I'd make a fleet of alts (well, a max of 9 anyway) and just try every server that way. Read /world. Join a few custom channels if any are publicly available. Use the social panel to monitor activity at my primetime to see if there are a lot of people online then. Visit the Moors (creepside, of course, since a fresh-outta-the-starter-zone freep would be too low level to go there) and read /ooc to see how big the action is. That sort of thing.

I could do all that on all 10 servers well before a month was up.

I would say that 1-2 months (4-8 weeks) after the final of the 19 closing servers gets opened to the transfer system. That's how long free xfers should last IMO. If people are allowed to transfer at will (or, at most, a few days wait period). And even then I'd probably just go the alt system to find a server that I wanted to move to.

I still stand by my Titanic ref.
    *cough* Erm... I suppose one day I should watch that...

When the game is said and done, I will look for you to still be praising this team. No one can offer any critique without you coming to Turbines rescue, like you are going to get a special treat.

I would love to know what other game you have played that offered an even worse merger than this. I have been merged in EQ, EQ2, SWG, WoW and SWToR; not once have I ever witnessed anything close to being this awful. Whoever made this decision is hopefully released from the team soon, this has cost us hundreds if not thousands of players and many more will follow.

The six month waiting game, not to mention players stealing other players names and then trying to SELL them the name back! Along with trolls now buying up houses in all the districts on all the remaining servers and then offering them to another player at an increased profit, just to troll.

If you honestly think this was better than just combining worlds with a FORCED merge, then I feel sorry for you. This has caused nothing but chaos, a plethora of drama and stress on other players.

The community loses here, and yet you praise the team responsible for it.

"Thumbs Up"
    Are you kidding? Where have you been every time I've talked about EBs? Or about how broken some of the classes are after HD? Or any myriad of other things? I have critisized many things about this game over the years. I just disagree on the state of the world consolidation. If I am remembering correctly (which I may not, so forgive me if I'm mistaken), you are just flat out unhappy that any form of merger/consolidation must be made at all (can't remember the reasons, if any were given, assuming I'm even right at this point). IF my memory is correct on that much, then I would never in a million years expect you to think the consolidation is going well. If you don't like something right off the bat, every step beyond that isn't going to be received any better. A hiccup will be seen as a complete failure.

And that's fair enough. You, like many, are (if memory serves) unhappy with the situation, and rightfully so. I wouldn't blame you a bit and I am incredibly sympathetic about the whole thing. I have kinmates I haven't seen in ages and have no contact info for them, and I worry that I may never see them again once the transfers occur (even though I, myself, am actually happy to be able to get the rest of my alts to Landroval, instead of them collecting dust on Riddermark).

As for the trolls, report them! Frelorn said they would look into the situation (with no promises that there'd be anything they could do to stop it all, but he did say he'd try), but people need to report it for them to know about it. I personally have seen none of that trolling behavior on Landroval. The neighborhoods aren't any more bought-up than they were before and I haven't seen any trolls bragging about their name-claiming conquests and offering to sell them back, etc.

The one thing that does get under my skin a little bit is where you say things like "the community loses here". There are some profound JERKS who get their kicks and giggles out of making your life (and others in this process) miserable. But most people are not like that. It is rough to have the entire community painted so blackly all because of a few prats.

As for the merger I went through, it was SWTOR. I was never asked where I wanted to transfer. I played right before F2P (I got a trial to test the waters, loved the game, and stuck around with it) and then immediately after. I never received any notification about what I had to do during the transfer. I was new to the game and didn't know all the details. And because EAware does not allow f2pers to post on their forums I was never able to ask any questions (and they still won't allow anyone who isn't a VIP to post there, last I checked). Now, quite a long time later, I find out they apparently offered people a chance to pick what server they went to. However, because I never received that information, I had no way of knowing, and logged in after f2p to find my stuff dumped on a foreign server. In fact, IIRC, I didn't even know they were merging servers. I thought they were just launching F2P.

And after that, the game became so laggy. What was smooth gameplay for me and friends became quite frustrating after the merger. I guess because there were more people. So that meant more server load and more stuff to process client-side. Even friends with great computers would get lag.

Even now that I've gotten a really shiny desktop, I have been plagued with the little red X for server lag, and several of my friends in other states get that as well. My computer and internet are going smooth but the game refuses to communicate, or whatever. One of my friends has a computer even better than mine and high-speed internet and even he gets the red X. And he's an IT guy who knows how to fix things (or in the least to diagnose them) if they are client-side.

Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    1. Surely, you are not that naive. Who knows, maybe you are. The mere fact that within minutes of the transfer process going live (for the EU, and then later for US), things went bad...that says enough for someone without blinders on.
    2. Based on what? It hasn't even successfully happened yet....??
    1. I'm aware of the timing of it. But the only actual problem I've seen thus far with the transfers themselves is the issue where some players are not having characters recognized to transfer. The other issues (lag and login, and the servers apparently being completely down the other night) are network related. If the network is on the fritz, I'd certainly want to turn off transfers as well. The last thing anyone wants is for a transfer to go awry due to network complications. I don't know what else behind the scenes was added with the recent patch that might have caused this. But Bullroarer had the same stuff on it for a few weeks and I don't remember seeing any issues then. The game was still up, players were able to log in, etc. Maybe it is naive of me, but I just don't see how something this colossal could have been missed in beta if it was 100% due to the transfer system. I guess it could happen, I personally just find it really unlikely.

2. I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the technical angle of this specific element. I'm talking about the opportunities players have been given. I've seen forced mergers where players got squat. In this consolidation, we get to choose our destination server, we got a box of goodies (which may or may not make much difference, which is fine; it's just a gesture), we're given the opportunity to take names that are on inactive characters, Premiums and VIPs have gotten 2 extra character slots (which may not be all that helpful for altaholics, but definitely can be valuable for those without oodles of characters), and probably a few other things. SWTOR didn't give anything. Each negative aspect of LOTRO's consolidation would have happened even with forced mergers (the naming issue, for example). But if we went with forced mergers, the positive aspects would be completely lost (the opportunity to choose our new home, for example, or the chance -- however slim it may be for some -- of getting the names we want).
    Last edited by Mar-Evayave; Aug 21 2015 at 03:35 PM.

2. I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about the technical angle of this specific element. I'm talking about the opportunities players have been given. I've seen forced mergers where players got squat. In this consolidation, we get to choose our destination server, we got a box of goodies (which may or may not make much difference, which is fine; it's just a gesture), we're given the opportunity to take names that are on inactive characters, Premiums and VIPs have gotten 2 extra character slots (which may not be all that helpful for altaholics, but definitely can be valuable for those without oodles of characters), and probably a few other things. SWTOR didn't give anything. Each negative aspect of LOTRO's consolidation would have happened even with forced mergers (the naming issue, for example). But if we went with forced mergers, the positive aspects would be completely lost (the opportunity to choose our new home, for example, or the chance -- however slim it may be for some -- of getting the names we want).
    You said this is the best server consolidation you've every seen. That is a pretty broad statement and a bit weird as it hasn't even happened yet. It made me have a President Bush "Mission Accomplished" flashback. You clarified, which is good, but I'm sure you can see how easy it is to..."misunderstand" you. But of course, all the goodies and options (which some would argue were very slim)...none of that will matter if the entire process itself doesn't work. I think I''ll wait until the dust settles, we are in our new homes and I'm running around the PvP map in Osgiliath before I make broad, congratulatory statements like the one you did

Quote Originally Posted by bucko39 View Post
    You said this is the best server consolidation you've every seen. That is a pretty broad statement and a bit weird as it hasn't even happened yet. It made me have a President Bush "Mission Accomplished" flashback. You clarified, which is good, but I'm sure you can see how easy it is to..."misunderstand" you. But of course, all the goodies and options (which some would argue were very slim)...none of that will matter if the entire process itself doesn't work. I think I''ll wait until the dust settles, we are in our new homes and I'm running around the PvP map in Osgiliath before I make broad, congratulatory statements like the one you did
    lol I can see what you mean. xD Sorry for the confusion.

I totally agree. However nice the intentions, it's not gonna float the boat if the transfers don't actually work.

If it makes more sense, it was mostly about how Linnier said earlier that they should have just merged servers and left it at that, and instantly SWTOR popped in my head. Golly, so long as the transferring of characters from one server to another works (regardless of whether it's EAware drag-and-dropping us, or us moving ourselves in LOTRO's launcher), the goodies and options will always make the latter the choice most sweet to me. I hate having things decided and done for me. Being told I can choose my destination and have at least a chance of getting the names I want, and that sort of thing... I just am loving that. I did not love SWTOR's merger. It's the only merger I actually experienced to this point (though I have read of some others, though none in particular spring to mind).

Granted, when it's a contest between two different games, "best consolidation ever" might not mean much. xD Still, it's the only experience I have to draw on, and already LOTRO's is feeling better. So long as the transfers go through, I'll be a pretty happy camper (though I do have the added benefit that I wanted this to happen; I really want to get my original characters off Riddermark -- I understand many want to stay where they are and I really wish they could be a happy camper too; I feel guilty at my good fortune -- 12 characters is too many for me to pay to transfer -- but I just can't help but feel glad that I can finally move them to Landroval).

How about you all just quit complaining and do 1 of 3 possible things:

1) Find something proactive to do with helping others around you, and produce something of value that will help them all move forward.

2) Deal with the situation and put up with the wait. And then post about how the actual transfer went.

3) Quite playing the game and move on. Forever.

Or, as has been stated previously in many, many venues:

LEAD,

FOLLOW,

OR GET THE F*** OUT OF THE WAY