We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Angry Beornings and Bows

My Beorning can now equip a bow. Big whoop! I cannot find a skill with which to shoot the <expletive deleted> thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilabius View Post
    My Beorning can now equip a bow. Big whoop! I cannot find a skill with which to shoot the <expletive deleted> thing.
    There is no skill. You just right click your target.

No bow woe!

I have not yet played the update as it has just (actually as I type) finished updating.

I have a couple Beornings and they play much different to my usual choice of character. I usually play 'hunter' and thus have skills geared towards that - ranged skills.

Beornings are more geared to melee (and / or healing) in my experience*. I was not expecting much if anything in the way of ranged skills for my Beornings in the update. As I see it, the use of bows for a Beorning is pretty much the same as 'bees' or throwing axes. These 'mechanics' are for 'pulling' a mob (or mobs) from a larger group or area not so easy to get to for example as opposed to dealing skill based damage.

A Beorning ranged (skilled) would seem somehow not correct to me. That said, in honesty, I will likely try a bow to see if it enhances or supplements Beorning play in a way I like (as is).

EDIT: *limited as that is with my lower to mid level Beornings. Removed link and slight reword due to a matter of opinion that I know not all will share!
    Last edited by UKNightWatch; Oct 28 2015 at 03:11 PM.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#008080][B]"Dark sarcasm ought to be taught in schools." ~ Terry Pratchett ~ Night Watch.[/B]
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#008080]
    [B]"...and the strange names that they meet they may, of course, pronounce as they like." - John Ronald Reuel Tolkien.[/B][/COLOR]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by UKNightWatch View Post
    I have not yet played the update as it has just (actually as I type) finished updating.

I have a couple Beornings and they play much different to my usual choice of character. I usually play 'hunter' and thus have skills geared towards that - ranged skills.

Beornings are more geared to melee (and / or healing) in my experience*. I was not expecting much if anything in the way of ranged skills for my Beornings in the update. As I see it, the use of bows for a Beorning is pretty much the same as 'bees' or throwing axes. These 'mechanics' are for 'pulling' a mob (or mobs) from a larger group or area not so easy to get to for example as opposed to dealing skill based damage.

A Beorning ranged (skilled) would seem somehow not correct to me. That said, in honesty, I will likely try a bow to see if it enhances or supplements Beorning play in a way I like (as is).

EDIT: *limited as that is with my lower to mid level Beornings. Removed link and slight reword due to a matter of opinion that I know not all will share!
    From my perspective, giving the Beorning bow usage for autoattacking is a huge benefit to the player. It saves me a lot of time chasing after mobs, especially the ones that root and run away or the ones that run away at low morale.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

AND you get the massive stat boosts.
    105s: Aedfrith (HN), Aldnoth (CP), Brai (RK), Hrolfdan (MN), Aeldfryd (WD), Morriarty (CH), Aednoth (LM), Mishhar (BR), Hraldan (GR), Rummbold (BG). Tinies - Rumbelina (MN), Aenghus (CP)
    Rangers of Eriador (officer), ex-Snowbourn now Laurelin - A Noob for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by peachykins View Post
    There is no skill. You just right click your target.
    You can also target your foe and click on the auto attack icon.

My Beorning has a [yew bow] as his cosmetic bow. It has a suitably rustic appearance, more like an antler bow rather than one made of wood.
    Faërie is a perilous land, and in it are pitfalls for the unwary and dungeons for the overbold. – J.R.R. Tolkien, ‘On Fairy-Stories’.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    AND you get the massive stat boosts.
    thats imho main point of beo's bow - to fill up another slot, as all other classes got something there

pulling is secondary, but decent addition aswell - i will kill for bow for my cpt, its my wet dream since i am here

I'm also enjoying the extra ranged -something- for my bear-woman because of above statements (mobs that root & run or run when low morale).
    One bow skill wouldn't hurt, too, but make it cost 5-10 wrath to use (bear-folk do have wrath generating skills that can be used out of combat, 5-10 wrath is easily obtainable OOC).
    Perhaps the Let Fly skill that costs wrath?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuuma View Post
    I'm also enjoying the extra ranged -something- for my bear-woman because of above statements (mobs that root & run or run when low morale).
    One bow skill wouldn't hurt, too, but make it cost 5-10 wrath to use (bear-folk do have wrath generating skills that can be used out of combat, 5-10 wrath is easily obtainable OOC).
    Perhaps the Let Fly skill that costs wrath?
    Like other attacks, it should build rather than cost wrath. I want a Beorning Let Fly skill in particular to pull when I have no wrath and don't what to air-chop or use my wrath-builders just yet. I always feel silly having to do that, a hack to get around the mechanic. Besides, I'd use Bees if I had wrath and range. Because bees, of course.

Besides building 5 wrath, I'd want BLF to have the 40m range like the champ and guard skills do. I haven't tested to see if the regular Beorning bow attack is only 30m like for guards and champions, however. If it has the full 40m range, then I'm less interested in having the skill.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by oldbadgerbrock View Post
    You can also target your foe and click on the auto attack icon.

My Beorning has a [yew bow] as his cosmetic bow. It has a suitably rustic appearance, more like an antler bow rather than one made of wood.
    Mine is using the Forochel crafted bow as cosmetic. It looks very sturdy but with a rustic finish & have lovely tribal carvings. It match nicely with the Forochel crafted clubs that looks like the point of mammuti tusks with tribal carvings.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    Mine is using the Forochel crafted bow as cosmetic. It looks very sturdy but with a rustic finish & have lovely tribal carvings. It match nicely with the Forochel crafted clubs that looks like the point of mammuti tusks with tribal carvings.
    That bow is quite sturdy indeed! I prefer a more slender bow, but to each his own. Coincidentally, I observed an Elf patrolling the eaves of Lothlorien carrying an antler bow, only slightly different than the one my Beorning has. If it's good enough for the Elves...

Those Lossoth one-handed clubs are quite unique. Nice choice! Until recently my Beorning has been wielding a very rustic looking two-handed club. He now has a nice pair of axes.

Necromancy at it's finest, raising a seven year old thread..

But it's also been Seven Years since the Beornings were given a bow.

Can we please have a skill to use it, you know a real skill rather than just an auto attack?

(I've just started playing my little bear again after about a three or four year gap and was amazed to find there was still no bow skill).

Meh, the bow is just to get in a hit or two in the time it takes the mob to trot over to your position after pulling it with bees. So you don't just wait there reading 'target is too far away'.

Quote Originally Posted by amabala View Post
    Meh, the bow is just to get in a hit or two in the time it takes the mob to trot over to your position after pulling it with bees. So you don't just wait there reading 'target is too far away'.
    I find that when I throw bees at max range, I will start using my bow if the mob is slowed or far enough away. Right-clicking works, too, but I think of a Beorning's bow much like that on a guard or champ; for pulling and stats only.

>> I think of a Beorning's bow much like that on a guard or champ; for pulling and stats only.

Exactly, Both Guardians and Champions have an Attack Skill for their bow.