We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Which Trait Line If You Want To Be Mostly A Melee Hunter?

First and foremost, Happy Thanksgiving!

Which trait line would I want to take if I want to be more of a melee hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGreyWolf20 View Post

There isn't a melee hunter, you have a few melee skills that are used to get out of combat. The melee version would be a champion, with one bow skill and all melee skills.

If your speaking of close range skirmishes with 5-9 mobs then I say blue line, I love the sense of excitement I get from going in and fighting a lot of mobs or WBs on foot dashing around between them killing them off.
    To go more on depth, ofc get the usual set up for blue, max out the +8% mits in yellow and stun trap, and get low cut root as well as rain of arrows all in blue spec.
    If you get in a pickle, you have the slow root and some CC to help. But it's fun running among them using rain of arrows, and some barrages while stance dancing. This build quite doesn't suit hunters a lot but I only play hunter and it's funny seeing an underrated class take down 3 mumkils at the same time and seeing some people just stand and stare at you :P

Its is possible to make a yellow hunter that focused melee. This is what I came up with (the majority of DPS comes from traps and some focus consuming bow skills that are quick with no induction)

‘All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.’ – Gandalf the Grey

This would be a great build to get you through zones where the mob density or architecture makes ranged combat impossible. I still would find the idea of using it to level your hunter to cap to be horrifying.

Next to a Rune-keeper I find Hunters to be the least melee friendly class. I definitely find Lore-masters and Minstrels less handicapped in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynard View Post
    Its is possible to make a yellow hunter that focused melee. This is what I came up with (the majority of DPS comes from traps and some focus consuming bow skills that are quick with no induction)

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGreyWolf20 View Post

Red warden.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Red warden.
    Eeesh... I might have to agree with those who say "try a different class."

I think that Yellow Build is your best shot, as it affords far more survivability. I should point out, that as pessimistic as I am about the prospect, oddly there are several LI legacies which focus exclusively on melee powers --most Hunters consider them a complete waste, but I'd be curious to see what happens if you build with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Red warden.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Sounds to me like you are ready to come aboard, embrace the suck that the hunter has become, and realize that Wardens are where it's at. Red/Blue Warden can do anything that a hunter can do and much quicker and faster. If you still feel like you want to be a hunter - switch over to Yellow Warden for ranged damage. But like my friend said- melee Hunter = Red Warden and then some!