We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

The Ettenmoors and its purpose....

I will admit I only know the basics about this game contraption. Been there a few times, did not really know what was expected of me. Fight or Die, I guess.

- Player Vs Player Player vs MonsterPlayer , in the shapes of monsters or free peoples (creeps or freeps)
    - An area of the game where newbs like myself risk getting torn to pieces real fast (been there, done that) despite having top notch stuff that is enough in the rest of the game, in MiddleEarth, so to speak...
    - Some of the most hotheaded and passionate players seem to dwell there...

So.
    I have seen these Marshal, Footman and whatever titles adhered to some people and I realize they have been earned in the EttenMoors. Do they have any merit whatsoever in Middle Earth or are those worthless outside the Moors?
    I have also seen gear that seems obtainable only via EttenMoors. Is this gear worth anything outside the Moors or is it just cosmetics?
    Is the EttenMoors, on the quest side, just an endless repetition of the same stuff, pretty much like some of the most obnoxious deeds in Middle Earth?

Post some reasons on why to play EttenMoors, even if you are not an avid player versus player gamer?
    Last edited by Marancil; Feb 08 2016 at 02:59 AM.

I never pvp, but from reading the forums and kin chat in game, I would guess that people play in the Moors because it's fun.

Now if you're talking about tangible rewards like gear and such, you would need to have someone that actually plays there to answer that.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

the purpose is the ettenmoors is to feel like your better than everyone else in an unbalanced mess where certain classes are superior and people run into each other in huge masses of hordes and farm each other or camp and shuffle for hours on end. There is no purpose what so ever. The rewards have not been updated for years, neither the map, the lag or the potency of classes. Everything you buy or attain in there has no use out of the zone. If you were to venture there even in these times it would be far easier and enjoyable for you to be a freep and moralestack while creeps hit you with wet paper bags and you laugh at their pathetic dps while they are farmed and they either log out, also swap to freep or uninstall the game.

On another note, you buy audacity armour with comms, comms you get from quests and killing in the ettenmoors. Audacity increases your damage in %, your -cc duration power cost etc. The new audacity armor is essence slotted so you can put essences in it and moralestack like a ###### so the creeps ragequit.
    Last edited by Hayden102; Feb 08 2016 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    I never pvp, but from reading the forums and kin chat in game, I would guess that people play in the Moors because it's fun.

Now if you're talking about tangible rewards like gear and such, you would need to have someone that actually plays there to answer that.
    I have deep respect for your enlightened answer and serious approach to give accurate information about a game feature you obviously know so much about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden102 View Post
    On another note, you buy audacity armour with comms, comms you get from quests and killing in the ettenmoors. Audacity increases your damage in %, your -cc duration power cost etc. The new audacity armor is essence slotted so you can put essences in it and moralestack like a ###### so the creeps ragequit.
    So is the Audacity armour usable outside the Moors? That is kinda the point of this thread, is the Moors stuff usable outside the Moors? And is it good enough or better than, hmm, Nadine (which is uglier than Gollum's butt)?

EDIT, it seems there are no such thing as Audacity armour. Here is a list of all armours available for bartering at Glan Vraigh.. Some are really nice.
    Last edited by Marancil; Feb 08 2016 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    I have deep respect for your enlightened answer and serious approach to give accurate information about a game feature you obviously know so much about.

So is the Audacity armour usable outside the Moors? That is kinda the point of this thread, is the Moors stuff usable outside the Moors? And is it good enough or better than, hmm, Nadine (which is uglier than Gollum's butt)?

EDIT, it seems there are no such thing as Audacity armour. Here is a list of all armours available for bartering at Glan Vraigh.. Some are really nice.
    yes the audacity armor is usable outside the moors. as for if its better or good enough the essence armor only has 3 slots with lots of crit defence/mits and its sort of generic as there is only 3 sets 1 for each armor type but running 2 pieces can be a good way to help boost some defensive stats.There is also the normal audacity armor its much weaker than the 4 or 5 slot stuff but the set bonuses may make it more usefull in some situations.

audacity isn't the actual name of the armor its a stat that is on the armor that's used in the moors only.It adds damage,lowers cc length with each rank and lowers incoming damage just for having any.

If there was anything worthwhile from moors play that couldn't be gotten in pveland, casuals would have demanded and got it by now like they have with everything else in the game.

Smile

The 3-slot Heavy/Medium/Light Audacity sets have pretty nice set bonus unlike any other slotted armour (that I'm aware of) in game. Audacity (4 per piece x 6 = 24) only works within PvMP areas and is disabled in PvE-land. There have been occasions I mixed my Nadhin tanking armour with a piece of the Audacity set or two and got good results. So yes, it's usable in PvE.

Here are the links to the three sets; scroll down to "Heavy/Medium/Light Essence Armour (Level 100)" at the bottom of the lists:
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Col..._Quartermaster

About the aesthetic aspect... In PvMP cosmetic outfits are disabled and you appear in whatever gear you are actually wearing. Thankfully dyes are applicable. Personally I quite enjoy the Heavy Coldfells Armour set. Here's how it looks, dyed grey and crimson (logged in to take the screenshots ):

8. Feb 08 2016, 05:33 AM

What about the "Third Marshal of Whatever" title stuff?

I know that if I have the title "Rider of the Free Peoples" I have grinded Kindred with all Eregion Factions (except the Rift) and that is, to me, worthy of some respect.

What lies behind this:
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Rank_Titles

It does seem to require some grinding of Renown. Maybe even a lot. But does it grant you anything outside the Moors?

Leaving all the technical reasons aside, I like PvP because it can be, at it's best, the most fun, challenging and unpredictable aspect of any MMO. Even the best designed and challenging raid zone can be beaten on a regular basis by a disciplined, well equipped group because it's formulaic, if you keep doing the same thing over and over (provided you do it properly), you'll almost always win. The same can't be said for PvP, because you just never know what the other side will do, and often you don't know their true strength until you get into the fight. The reason is obvious, you are fighting human beings, they are unpredictable, their skill levels vary wildly, and they have something PvE mobs and bosses can never have, imagination.

Now, like I said, this is how it can be, at it's best. Sadly it doesn't quite live up to it's potential most of the time, things like game lag, jaded players and class imbalance often make it more an exercise in futility. I will say one thing though, PvMP is perhaps the most neglected area of the game by the devs (raiding being a close second in my opinion) yet still there are people out there every night, sometimes dozens of them, giving it a go, even after all the neglect over the years, so it must have something going for it.

Sure, but does PvMP bring any bonuses outside the PvMP area?
    We have seen examples of gear that you can earn in the Moors but frankly, since I so far do not care a lot about it, people running around with "first marshal" or "captain general" titles are insignificant and worthless to me because they could just as well play a completely different game...

What about the "Third Marshal of Whatever" title stuff?

I know that if I have the title "Rider of the Free Peoples" I have grinded Kindred with all Eregion Factions (except the Rift) and that is, to me, worthy of some respect.

What lies behind this:
    https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Rank_Titles

It does seem to require some grinding of Renown. Maybe even a lot. But does it grant you anything outside the Moors?
    The titles have no effect. They only show how much Renown you have ground in the Moors.

Some players have cheated in order to earn renown for these titles. They collaborate with friends to meet in a remote corner of the Moors and kill & rez each other repeatedly for the renown. This dishonors all the players who earn their titles honestly.

Your "Rider of the Free Peoples" title can only be earned by honest play.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

We have seen examples of gear that you can earn in the Moors but frankly, since I so far do not care a lot about it, people running around with "first marshal" or "captain general" titles are insignificant and worthless to me because they could just as well play a completely different game...
    Are you assuming that Freeps go to the Moors just for the fancy titles? o.O Freeps "run around" with their PvMP titles in PvE land because they need to PvE for their armour essences and whatnot. They're not just going to turn off their ranks the moment they step out of the Moors. I only have one Freep that I Moorsed with back when 75 was the cap, and I've turned her title off simply because she's not active in PvMP anymore. I only play Creepside now.

As for the "purpose" of the Ettenmoors, well, it's to bring some semblance of difficulty into an otherwise offensively easy game. You don't go to the Moors to "get stuff" that will help you slam through Thorog a fraction of a second faster than you would with PvE gear; you go to the Moors to play against other people and not predictable AI.

No, not really. As someone mentioned above, it can sometimes be useful to wear some pieces of Moors armor in PVE for the set bonus.

They play two games with the same characters.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Uh ok.

Seriously though, yeah I don't PvP but I am around PvP players a lot and I listen to them. They are extremely passionate about playing in the Moors.

So I stand behind what I said. They go there because it's fun.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

In the past some of the PvP set bonuses or class items were giving a noticeable advantage in the PvE. Now it is less so, though there are still a few useful bonuses (example: captain's Armour of Command 4set bonus).

As people mentioned a number of times in this thread, if you don't enjoy Player vs Player activities - you can simply ignore them.
    Ishtarien - Captain
    Ishtara - Beorning | Ishtari - Rune Keeper | Ishtarel - Hunter
    Lunasa - Minstrel | Cabernetta - Guardian | Ishtaridas - Lore Master | + many more
    Eldar -> Evernight

When I started playing lotro in 2007 I had no desire to do anything related to pvp. I didn't want to deal with people and their egos, their raging, and their whining. I figured that's all I'd see in the Moors so I avoided going out. Eventually my kin leader at the time convinced me to try it out and I was immediately hooked. I stopped PVEing in lotro several years ago (outside the Moors anyway), and if it wasn't for the Moors I'd have left the game back then.

For me it's about the unexepcted. In pve you know what, when, and how something will happen for the most part unless you're going into a dungeon with a group who knows nothing about it. Back when the level cap was 50 we stood in certain places during a dungeon run, did certain skills or actions at a certain time, etc. There was very little variety except when someone didn't do something they should have done and things would sometimes get a little chaotic. Otherwise it was routine and rather uneventful. The Moors doesn't have a lot of that. Yes you can attack NPCs and take keeps and do some boring pve, but there's the added suspence of not knowing if you're going to be attacked by another player. Or maybe 30 of them. Some like not knowing what's going to happen and some don't. For the latter group there's always pve in pve zones where things are much more predictable.

Arkenstone does have its share of people (on both sides from what I've heard) who have big egos, who rage in ooc, and who whine a lot, especially since the server mergers started. If you're debating trying out the moors I'd suggested trying various servers if you can to see what the communities are like. Don't judge pvmp based on ooc rantings of a handful of people.

Pvp is best way to get morale essences and in my opinion best way to get empowerement scrolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    The titles have no effect. They only show how much Renown you have ground in the Moors.

Some players have cheated in order to earn renown for these titles. They collaborate with friends to meet in a remote corner of the Moors and kill & rez each other repeatedly for the renown. This dishonors all the players who earn their titles honestly.

Your "Rider of the Free Peoples" title can only be earned by honest play.
    And Thank the Lord for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freawaru View Post
    Are you assuming that Freeps go to the Moors just for the fancy titles? o.O Freeps "run around" with their PvMP titles in PvE land because they need to PvE for their armour essences and whatnot. They're not just going to turn off their ranks the moment they step out of the Moors. I only have one Freep that I Moorsed with back when 75 was the cap, and I've turned her title off simply because she's not active in PvMP anymore. I only play Creepside now.

As for the "purpose" of the Ettenmoors, well, it's to bring some semblance of difficulty into an otherwise offensively easy game. You don't go to the Moors to "get stuff" that will help you slam through Thorog a fraction of a second faster than you would with PvE gear; you go to the Moors to play against other people and not predictable AI.
    Well, since the PvP community seems to have a slight renown for cheating in ways described in many places. Also in this thread.
    Titles may be more or less moot if you do not have a serious achievement behind them, and it would seem that the level of achievement are in the eyes of the beholder. A Moor title may require just as much work and grind as a PvE title, but the moors are a smaller part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymphonic View Post
    Uh ok.

Seriously though, yeah I don't PvP but I am around PvP players a lot and I listen to them. They are extremely passionate about playing in the Moors.

So I stand behind what I said. They go there because it's fun.
    Sorry for coming down a bit on you, you are of course right, and yes, they are passionate.

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Pvp is best way to get morale essences and in my opinion best way to get empowerement scrolls.
    Seriously? That is kinda interesting since I just got my first essence armour.

I still think some aspects of the PvP are overrated, like them titles, the highest ranking title I can think of in PvE is "Thane of the Eastemnet", if we compare "ranks" (and that I have on my Champion), so I would like to see more comparable titles in PvE if we have those blatant rank titles in PvP.

Well, since the PvP community seems to have a slight renown for cheating in ways described in many places. Also in this thread.
    Titles may be more or less moot if you do not have a serious achievement behind them, and it would seem that the level of achievement are in the eyes of the beholder. A Moor title may require just as much work and grind as a PvE title, but the moors are a smaller part of the game.
    Try to grind your way to rank 15 (without rank farming), then come back here and tell me if you still think that a Moors title requires "just as much work and grind as a PvE title" (emphasis added). I think you will find that it requires far more work than you think it does. PvMP rank titles are not worthless if the player behind the title got there honestly. And who cares if it's a "smaller part of the game"? For those of us who prefer PvMP it IS the game. So it matters to those of us who don't cheat our way forward. Don't belittle the accomplishments that honest PvMP players make, just because you don't partake in that side of the game.

so I would like to see more comparable titles in PvE if we have those blatant rank titles in PvP.
    Totally transparent right from the outset......hilarious

The titles & creep appearance skins are enough motivation for me

Quote Originally Posted by Freawaru View Post
    Try to grind your way to rank 15 (without rank farming), then come back here and tell me if you still think that a Moors title requires "just as much work and grind as a PvE title" (emphasis added). I think you will find that it requires far more work than you think it does. PvMP rank titles are not worthless if the player behind the title got there honestly. And who cares if it's a "smaller part of the game"? For those of us who prefer PvMP it IS the game. So it matters to those of us who don't cheat our way forward. Don't belittle the accomplishments that honest PvMP players make, just because you don't partake in that side of the game.
    I do not belittle the effort. I can not do that since I lack the insight, which should be obvious by now. In fact, by encouraging a similar title span in the PvE area, one might conclude a similar effort be made to achieve it. After all, being "Thane of Eastemnet" sound a bit lame compared to "First Marshal". The purpose of this thread is also, as I typed above, to give me reasons to play more in the Ettenmoors, which I actually think I will, so look out for me on GMT Evenings and come rank farm with me... or just shut me up.

What do you do when you’ve rolled one of every class, completed every deed, ran every raid, caught up with the latest content release, have all Supremes slotted, maxed LI’s, a well-oiled 6 man group ready to fight…get on a boat or farm Thorog...leave that poor dragon alone already.

PVP players are better than PVE n00bs just for the simple fact that PVE’rs can’t PVP.

Is Audacity armor any good? Go to the moors without it and die in 5 seconds then let me know. It has 80% of the mits built in, allowing you to slot HP or DPS and if I PVE I can wear my 5 slot armor, I have both sets do you? Didn’t think so.

Do the titles mean anything, yeah it means I fought an unpredictable chaotic don’t know what’s coming next fellow human being. While you farmed a dragon that you know will go down in 5m or went stealth on a boat, or hid in a nook in Sambrog. Yes titles can be gotten by cheating, but why blanket statement and take away from the ones that took 1-2 years to go from r14-r15…oh that’s right your n00bs and don’t know any better. And as far as PVE titles go you can get a title around Galtrev for picking up goat poop…LMFAO give me a break.

So in conclusion the PVP community is the strongest supporters of this game, some have run everything you have multiple times, and breaking news ARKENSTONE has been named the LOTRO PVP server, if you PVP you are here or are moving here.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, same goes for LOTRO. There are no stupid questions just stupid answers (see comments above).

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post

Your "Rider of the Free Peoples" title can only be earned by honest play
    Is there that much of a difference? You can get a lot of reputation by having friends send you their spares.

I don't play on the Moors (my computer and location - plus LoTRO's current problems* - make me reluctant to pay for VIP status since even those with much better computers and locations have trouble there with lag) but I know a lot of people who enjoy it. They don't have any noticeable advantage outside PVP except that they tend to know their classes well.

*Edit - and the exchange rate.

I have tried PvP many times. Its advocates are like political activists, Passionate, generally sincere within their boundaries and utterly incomprehensible if you don't "get" their view. And if you don't get their view far too many of them immediately assume you are hostile, or an easy mark.

It has its moments, when its well organised, the technology works and somehow it still feels like Middle Earth (clues in the game name folks) But far too often it seems quite generic, it could be Tamriel or there may be pandas coming round the next hillside. Its not the army of the free peoples, even if the designers had that in mind, its a loosely co-ordinated group of individuals. Celtic tribe against Celtic tribe, not a small group of high morale trained troops against a horde of rabble, strong in numbers but not individually. I've played Counter Strike for years and had expected LOTRO PvP to have a similar feel of your skill versus the skill of the other player, not who had the most skill button macros.

Balance, well everyone says that its biased against them, and everyone else says, just as helpfully, LTP... I used to take a Lore master on occasion, or a burglar. I used to have a couple of creeps. But presumably they didn't make the cut on Most Favoured Class This Update...

If its your thing, fine. There are people who like football, there are those that appreciate rugby and some understand each other and some don't. But its not the end game, and its only just Middle Earth. Its fun for some and bores the backsides off others, and there are a few in between who think it should be a whole lot better than it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast