We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question The Best Virtue Setup for Max. DPS and Defence

sorry if this type of thread has been already made (didn't knew about it)
    Can anyone guide me on how to trait up my hunter for max. dps and defence?
    would be much appreciated
    i use this trait setup at the moment:

Zeal, Fidelity, Charity, Innocence and Tolerance

will this one be alright or some improvements and changes can be done to this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Aryanthegreat View Post
    sorry if this type of thread has been already made (didn't knew about it)
    Can anyone guide me on how to trait up my hunter for max. dps and defence?
    would be much appreciated
    i use this trait setup at the moment:

Zeal, Fidelity, Charity, Innocence and Tolerance

will this one be alright or some improvements and changes can be done to this setup?
    Innocence, Fidelity and Tolerance are all good choices.
    I'm a believer in Determination for offence (or if defence is more important, resistance and mits virtues like Honour and Compassion) over Zeal for hunter given that morale is very easy to get and the 400 morale difference isn't going to save your life at 100 - but the ICMR and agi from Determination is helpful in all sorts of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedfrith View Post
    Innocence, Fidelity and Tolerance are all good choices.
    I'm a believer in Determination for offence (or if defence is more important, resistance and mits virtues like Honour and Compassion) over Zeal for hunter given that morale is very easy to get and the 400 morale difference isn't going to save your life at 100 - but the ICMR and agi from Determination is helpful in all sorts of ways.
    thank you for the advice was much appreciated

One virtue for offense, the rest for defense/survival.

Agility, Mitigations.

Determination, Innocence, Compassion, Zeal, Tolerance.

So for those answering this question... I've been thinking about this for other classes. Even "one offence, rest defense" is a fairly arbitrary guideline.

It seems to me the big question then should be:
    "Are there any swap-outs from Virtue Slot <-> Essence Slot that give vastly better total Essence sum for your Virute set?"

A basket of cookies for anyone who considered which Virtues actually are best bang for your buck instead of just going with the flow and what looks good and what you hear others doing.

If the above couple responses are a strong indicator of what works in t2c content:
    "Determination, Innocence, Compassion, Zeal, Tolerance"

Then what if you looked at those 5 traits this way (nerdy spreadsheet work occurs...):

The above virtues transformed into slotted essences:
    0.74 Greater Essence of Morale
    0.75 Superior Essence of TactMit
    1.36 Superior Essence of PhysMit
    2.05 Superior Essence of Agi
    0.88 Superior Essence of Resistance
    or ~5.78 essence slots worth.
    + some extra icmr, armor, ocpr which I left out of calculations
    The other difficulty here is that all stats have some impact like more agility = more physical mastery, more vitality = more resistance etc. But without better tools you have to estimate a bit.

So in slotting Virtues you just balanced a large amount of variables.
    • Essence Jewelry and all of its options
    • Essence Armor and all of its options
    • Virtue slots
    • Stat tomes from books (will just have to assume serious t2c players max in main stat and possibly another or more)
    • The relics you have on your weapon set

Nerdy details...
    If you break down "Determination, Innocence, Compassion, Zeal, Tolerance"

You get
    Determination: 171 agi, 160 icmr, 130 morale
    Innocence: 1539 PhysMit, 1638 Reistance, 513 TactMit
    Compassion: 1539 PhysMit, 558 non-combat power regen, 513 TactMit
    Zeal: 517 Morale, 923 PhysMit, 285 armor
    Tolerance: 1539 TactMit, 114 agi, 107 icmr
    Agi 285 = 171 + 114
    Icmr 167 = 160+107
    Morale 647 = 130 + 517
    PhysMit 4001 = 1539 + 1539 + 923
    TactMit 2565 = 1539 + 513 + 513
    Armor 285
    Resistance 1638
    ocpr 558

You can use the following to convert with a spreadsheet (which I did) playing around with numbers of each to arrive at the stats from virtues above:
    Supreme Essence of Tactical Mitiation: 2766 TactMit, 346 PhysMit
    Supreme Essence of Agility: 139 Agi, 17 Vit
    Supreme Essence of Physical Mitigation: 2766 PhysMit, 346 TactMit
    Supreme Essence of Tactical Mitigation: 2766 TactMit, 346 PhysMit
    Supreme Essence of Resistance: 1872 Res, 153.6 incoming healing rating
    Greater Essence of Morale: 875 ( let's assume you aren't going to fill all slots with supreme morale on a new alt)

I'm curious to hear from anyone who really did some hard calculations or thought about which virtues have a sweet spot.
    For example 1 Determination = ~2 Supreme Essences of Agility which is interesting.

For a class like Guardian I assume you'd have to answer differently. One common thought is to slot resistances in virtues because you get more bang for your buck in Virtues than from Essences.
    You also have to consider that you can unslot Virtues instantly. You can swap armor too. It's debatable whether it's easier to reslot all your virtues vs clicking another set of armor.

Anyway food for thought...
    [charsig=http://lotrosigs.level3.turbine.com/022040000000b1e1a/signature.png]Kangas[/charsig]
    [URL="http://helmsdeep.guildportal.com"]Helm's Deep[/URL] Kangas-Captain Kangdoom-Champ Furtive-Burg Wildlife-Hunter

I think everyone over complicates it, assuming you have maxed out virtues, or near that, you should carefully consider what kind of stats your lacking in your gear, for example if you can get the perfect amount of morale and mastery from essences then great, but your mits might be lacking so virtues are where you compensate. Having a rule of "one virtue set up fits all" only works if everyone is using an identical gear set up.

I dont have a virtue list handy but lets say you need 900 more phys mit to reach your cap, now you can either keep your main stat virtue that has +100(something) agility and throw on a mitigation essence, or you can use a virtue that has mits on it and instead of using a mit essence use a mastery, the gain might be small but you're effectively getting more dps and having the same capped mits without doing any work other than paying attention to what you need to swap around.

Zeal, Valour, Determination, Tolerance, Mercy 99% of the time, swapping out for resistance in RC.