We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Why are there no skirts in lotro?

A skirt is a separate free-hanging outer garment usually worn by women and girls covering some or all of the body from the waist down.

To learn more about skirts visit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skirt

Why are there no skirst in lotro?
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Quote Originally Posted by NeebPlayer View Post
    A skirt is a separate free-hanging outer garment usually worn by women and girls covering some or all of the body from the waist down.

Too many warriors wearing armored boots with highly polished toes?

The women in Dunland wear skirts, but that's the only area I can think of. Not available for characters as loot or costmetic. (The skirts, that is, not the Dunnish women.)
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

LOTR is set in a fantasy medieval world inspired by western medieval era, and by Norse saga. In both case, skirt didn't exists, and in medieval era women were not allowed to show much (sinful, and all that). It's a 20th century thing, and all the way to miniskirt, it was considered provocative and shunned. In fact, it was even illegal in many countries (most of Europe, the USA).

Which is why it's rare to non existent in lotro. Only factions based on culture with skirts would potentially have them. And traditionally, that would likely be for men (see Greek and Roman armor, or the famous "kilt").

Quote Originally Posted by Daguest View Post
    LOTR is set in a fantasy medieval world inspired by western medieval era, and by Norse saga. In both case, skirt didn't exists, and in medieval era women were not allowed to show much (sinful, and all that). It's a 20th century thing, and all the way to miniskirt, it was considered provocative and shunned. In fact, it was even illegal in many countries (most of Europe, the USA).

Which is why it's rare to non existent in lotro. Only factions based on culture with skirts would potentially have them. And traditionally, that would likely be for men (see Greek and Roman armor, or the famous "kilt").
    Nice try, but you are doomed because I expected this excuse. In the Middle Ages, skirts were not at all uncommon. If you think about it, they are much easier to make than pants. But this is not what I want to say. What I want to say is that we have stuff like scarfs in-game.

Are you saying that we can have scarfs and not skirts?

Then, I want you to consider this: All players in this game are but 1 person. We are all the same person. The reason classes like Rune-keeper and Beorning can exist is that there are no hundreds or thousands of them running around in ME. There is only 1: you = me = everyone else. We all go through the same storylines and help Gandalf and Aragorn the same way, so there is basically just 1 of us and we are all the same. If you put skirts in game, it just means 1 (more) person is wearing skirts.

I think this is as close as you get with skirts in Lotro..
    More like an armour-version of a skirt, coming with leggings too.

The Beorning intro gear is skirt-like if that's any use to you. It looks a lot like a skirt on female characters.

Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! As you can probably tell by my other activity on here, I'm a fashion freak, so I'm familiar with every single piece of cosmetic. In-game, I'm known for going into great lengths just to get a piece of armor that looks good. I'm really talking about skirts here as per the definition I posted and hoping that someday this will be implemented.

Oh, I would hate to see this. It just seems so out of place in a Middle Earth setting.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

I don't try to say no to skirt. As long as we don't have skimpy stuff like in most asian MMO, and which is common in MMO this days, I'm fine.

But to be honest, I find too many armors have the "metal skirt" thingie around the waist already (like this : https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...48fa3c686a.jpg).
    Nice try, but you are doomed because I expected this excuse. In the Middle Ages, skirts were not at all uncommon. If you think about it, they are much easier to make than pants. But this is not what I want to say. What I want to say is that we have stuff like scarfs in-game.

Are you saying that we can have scarfs and not skirts?
    Well, they were rare in western Europe. Besides a few ethnic custom. Especially for women. Showing the legs in public was forbidden, dress were fine because they were very long. I don't know about scarves in the medieval era, but I don't see why they wouldn't use them.

Then, I want you to consider this: All players in this game are but 1 person. We are all the same person. The reason classes like Rune-keeper and Beorning can exist is that there are no hundreds or thousands of them running around in ME. There is only 1: you = me = everyone else. We all go through the same storylines and help Gandalf and Aragorn the same way, so there is basically just 1 of us and we are all the same. If you put skirts in game, it just means 1 (more) person is wearing skirts.
    Not true. We are able to make a Fellowship (a group) which is reminiscent of the Fellowship of the Ring. The game acknowledge the existence of others. They, officially, never do the story you do, but they exist. Beorning are another story, and considering the drama when they where added I wouldn't take them too much as examples.

There are hundreds of skirts in-game, as the bottom part of a robe or gown.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

I fancy the Starkmoor Caretaker's Leggings. They call them leggings but if you look at the picture, it's actually a skirt. I found them purely by chance and absolutely loved them for my hobbit lass. I dyed them red and matched them with some good shoulders, a top, bracers, and the will wyrmscale cloak. Since I had "The Red" title, she was good to go.

https://lotrostylist.wordpress.com/2...quest-rewards/
    R5 105 GRD Marevayave - Leader of Riddermarked For Death
    R8 115 MNS Fayah/115 LM Siennah/115 HNT Dinenol/115 RK Dhurik
    115 CHN Alachas/85 CPT Dinfaerien/61 BUR Dhax/115 WDN Godoric
    R9 115 MNS Fayeh (alt Wilya) - Lonely Mountain Band @ Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Evayave View Post
    I fancy the Starkmoor Caretaker's Leggings. They call them leggings but if you look at the picture, it's actually a skirt. I found them purely by chance and absolutely loved them for my hobbit lass. I dyed them red and matched them with some good shoulders, a top, bracers, and the will wyrmscale cloak. Since I had "The Red" title, she was good to go.

https://lotrostylist.wordpress.com/2...quest-rewards/
    A couple of my hobbits use these too, they look really great on hobbits as they go right to the floor and spread out. Not so great looking on tall folk though.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

I tend to agree they should be available. I recall an old discussion about why get you pants when you wear a chest piece. Didn't make sense to me to buy a cosmetic tunic and get pants. Where are the shorts? Effectively less work for the programmers to do so. In addition to painted on armour skins on your character's model in place of actually wearing a piece of gear. Less programming work. Skirts are way less lore breaking that our flamboyant steeds, armours and beasts that follow you around. Just an opinion.
    'Ú-damdir.' Welcome to the Fourth Age of this World - The game breaking days.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West." <- This was even messed up too.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! As you can probably tell by my other activity on here, I'm a fashion freak, so I'm familiar with every single piece of cosmetic. In-game, I'm known for going into great lengths just to get a piece of armor that looks good. I'm really talking about skirts here as per the definition I posted and hoping that someday this will be implemented.
    I suppose it's nit-picking, but by the definition from the link you posted (see the history section) skirts (as a separate article of clothing, not part of a dress) were not a European thing. All the earliest examples are Oriental (Chinese and other Asian cultures). Since Middle Earth is considered to be a time before the Middle Ages (or early Middle Ages) such articles shouldn't exist.

That being said, I'd like to see separate skirt and top combos. And better dyeing options as well. What I don't think we should see, (as some have mentioned) are skirts of less than ankle length.

And why would a scarf be a problem? It's been around at least as long as weaving and knitting.
    Feadel Morauko
    Brotherhood of Crimson Knights
    "Peace must prevail, even if the wicked must die." - Jasmine Boreal

Quote Originally Posted by Feadel View Post
    I suppose it's nit-picking, but by the definition from the link you posted (see the history section) skirts (as a separate article of clothing, not part of a dress) were not a European thing. All the earliest examples are Oriental (Chinese and other Asian cultures). Since Middle Earth is considered to be a time before the Middle Ages (or early Middle Ages) such articles shouldn't exist.

That being said, I'd like to see separate skirt and top combos. And better dyeing options as well. What I don't think we should see, (as some have mentioned) are skirts of less than ankle length.

And why would a scarf be a problem? It's been around at least as long as weaving and knitting.
    Like I said earlier (and I was not kidding), all players are but one person in-game. We do things in the story that can be done only once and by one person. The only way you can make skirts a common article in-game is if you dress up a lot of NPCs in skirts. The same way the Rune-keeper class can exist because it only means one Rune-keeper, and a thing like a Rune-keepers' Guild can't exist because that would make Rune-keepers "too common".

Then, there is the other thing. Why does everyone keep telling me it can't exist because it didn't exist in medieval Europe. This is not medieval Europe. Tolkien added a fair number of things that didn't exist in medieval Europe. Realistically, the only things that cannot go into this MMO are things whose existence the lore makes improbable such as modern gadgets or Darth Vader. With all other things, you have to ask yourself, "Did Tolkien specifically say that there are no such things in ME or imply in any way that there are no such things?" If the answer is no, then the item can go in-game. Did Tolkien specifically say that there were no skirts in ME or imply it? Did he even ever mention skirts or the lack of skirts? Not to my knowledge. I could be wrong, of course.

Though, I agree mini skirts shouldn't be in-game and long skirts are more beautiful anyway.

This discussion is not even new: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=tunic . Anyways i think some guys here just want to see legs, nothing wrong with that as long it don't go into the bad taste corner where our playable toons get sexualized. This example is ok, but need more variety:
    Last edited by YamydeAragon; Dec 31 2016 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YamydeAragon View Post
    This discussion is not even new: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=tunic . Anyways i think some guys here just want to see legs, nothing wrong with that as long it don't go into the bad taste corner where our playable toons get sexualized.
    Thanks for the link. That quote Erennor posted is very interesting.

As for wanting to see legs, yes, I do want that to some extend. However, I would much prefer long skirts to appear first. But there is another thing that you helped me remember and that is this:

[whiny voice]
    There are so few sleeveless clothes in-game! I want to see arms!!!
    [/whiny voice]

I really want to see more sleeveless tops because right now the only one I can think of is the burg top from Handirion, which is what I use on too many characters.

Oh and one more thing... by sleeveless I mean stuff that shows off the shoulders.

As for wanting to see legs, yes, I do want that to some extend. However, I would much prefer long skirts to appear first. But there is another thing that you helped me remember and that is this:

[whiny voice]
    [/whiny voice]

I really want to see more sleeveless tops because right now the only one I can think of is the burg top from Handirion, which is what I use on too many characters.

Oh and one more thing... by sleeveless I mean stuff that shows off the shoulders.
    Long skirts I can go with. That's cool. I may have over reacted, if I did I am sorry. Anime MMOs were the first thing that popped in my mind.

I actually don't mind that style of dress in anime MMOs, in fact I think it looks nice. Just not in my Middle Earth.

But I see no issues with what you said about long skirts.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Thumbs up

[whiny voice]
    [/whiny voice]

Yes! We need proper kilts, skirts & more sleeveless variations of shirts & tunics.

There are several sleeveless chest pieces you get as random armor drops, if you play in Landroval i can show you which ones from my armor pieces collection (or you can to use Castorix Database app).

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

[whiny voice]
    [/whiny voice]

OMG! Here I was, preparing long answer in defense of an innocent poster who genuinely wanted a totally legal part of the women dress - long skirts - common for Middle Europe and for any age and country, actually. And now I learn that my naivete made me misread OP somehow and it was a request for modern style topics and mini-skirts, like in any Asian anime MMO out there Guess, I have to learn to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirranta View Post
    OMG! Here I was, preparing long answer in defense of an innocent poster who genuinely wanted a totally legal part of the women dress - long skirts - common for Middle Europe and for any age and country, actually. And now I learn that my naivete made me misread OP somehow and it was a request for modern style topics and mini-skirts, like in any Asian anime MMO out there Guess, I have to learn to read.
    Ahahaha...not fully sure if you're serious right now, but your original understanding was correct. I would like to have long skirst in this game that are separate items - not part of a drass or tunic. When I made the OP this was the only thought in my head.

However, I am not against short skirts. They are fine as long as they are not mini skirts that are totally out of place in this game. Let me bring the example of Black Desert Online. In BDO there are classes that can only look slutty. There is simply no way to dress them up so that they don't look slutty. This has always bothered me a lot and it has bothered a lot of people. We voiced out concerns and to this day Pearl Abyss does not care. It's a game like that. This one is not. Besides, I don't play games to get h orny. I guess that requires some kind of anime fetish that I don't have. I'm not saying I don't find some video game characters sexy, I'm just saying they are not the thing I look for when I desire sexual gratification.

Now I hope you are prude and I successfully embarrassed you. Cuz that was the intent.

Just kidding.

EDIT: And btw, it's interesting that we are in 2017 and a post by someone who just wants to see some skirts added to a video game results in him or her being portrayed as a sexual predator. Just curious.

I would also like to see this, as I tend to play my characters in as a realistic style as possible and my girls need some new options. The shirt/blouse with a vest that you get as your basic Minstrel outfit would be great with a skirt. The blouse is 3/4 length sleeves, so would be awesome for my crafting/festival alt who cooks, gardens and sews new clothes for all my other alts. I would also like to see some skirts and/or dresses with an apron option. I dress all my alts according to their station and the story I have envisioned for them.

EDIT: And btw, it's interesting that we are in 2017 and a post by someone who just wants to see some skirts added to a video game results in him or her being portrayed as a sexual predator. Just curious.
    Do not think negative posts here have anything to do with painting you as a sexual predator. It's just care about authenticity - not many games left without "armored strings" and "chain bikini" as a mandatory armor for females. Open skin was truly a sin for a long time and it shows in the setting itself, so anything revealing would ruin the atmosphere.
    Correction - atmosphere here, in LOTRO. You say BDO, I can beat you with BnS - "slutty" does not begin to describe 99% dresses in that game (for both genders), yet, it's in style with the general design and looks as natural as full plate armor in LOTRO.

I am with you for the wish of separated skirts and blouses, but long one. Something anyone would believe is possible in Medieval Europe.

Try the (Ceremonial) Secret of the West Armour set. It's a lvl 65 medium armor set for burglars.

You may like it because the chestpiece is sleeveless and the leggings are very skirt like in a sort of a split-skirt design that I think is very appropriate for a mounted culture. IMO, the look you get is rather "Amazon."

I'm posting a link to pictures. It looks a bit dumpy on a hobbit but is very classy on elf and human bodies. http://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Secret_of_the_West

I picked it up as a cosmetic set from the mannequin barters so it should rotate back through or you can get it in Ost Dunhoth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast