We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Trade bug causes game to crash

It happened 4 times when trading. Twice as as free peoples and twice as creep.
    We have 2 computers at home.
    The two crashes when playing freep happened on a computer and the crashes when playing creep happened on the other computer.

What happened?
    When using the secure trade window, the recipient's lotro client crashes as soon as the 'trade' button is clicked.
    The recipient did not offer anything in return.
    The person who offered the item clicked the 'trade' button first.

Did anyone else notice this ? I could not find this reported on the forum.
    Hope a dev sees this, I'm happy to provide additional details if needed.

Thanks

Wow, I never heard of this one. The only game crashing bug I experienced was with a cappy in the Bree Jail. I had instant crash to desktop whenever I tried to log on that character. I ended up deleting and reinstalling the entire game.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Out of curiosity, are you running any plugins or using any skins? Is this the Windows or the Mac client? Did you submit a bug report using /bug?

We have this bug regularly when we promote our recruits as a kinship.
    We do this as a monthly event and when someone gets promoted, we trade him the kinships uniform, ask him to equip it visually and give it back.
    Most events promote 5-10 Recruits which leads to 10-20 tradings and there has not been one event in the last year where no one disconnected while trading.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

This used to happen every time I traded between two of my characters depending on who started the trade (it didn't do that in the beginning, it just suddenly started happening). I also got disconnected when trading a kin member a year or two ago. After that it has been ok for quite some time, until recently when a friend started playing and I traded her some ale/wine for the ale delivery quests, which made her crash. Next time traded her character she crashed again. And now she has a new character who crashed every time a person she met tried trading her so now she has developed a fear of trades
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

I used to have problems with frequent crashes on trades that were caused by plugins. (I have multiple accounts and multiple computers, so often do trades where I control both sides.) I did lots of experiments to try to correlate it with who did what and what was traded how, but never discovered a pattern. The exact same trade would work sometimes and crash other times. The plugin language and mechanism are not supported features and it would be hard to tell if the plugin or LOTRO code caused the crash. Now I always do "/plugins manager" and click "Unload All" before doing a trade, and my crashes are rare.

If you aren't loading any plugins and you get crashes on trades, that is a bug you should report. The more predictable it is and the more details you can provide would help the devs find and fix it.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval michaleo.wordpress.com

The trade bug is usually fixed by setting the line in the userpreferences.ini file called userspecifiedport= to a specific port number. It used to be between 9000 and 9013, but the port range has widened. I don't know exactly why stabilizing the ports helps trades, but apparently it does.

For reference see in the technical support section at
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ated-1-19-2016 toward the bottom where it says "Does more than one PC connect to the game at the same time?" Setting this also usually helps reduce the ports walking on each other when two computers are communicating to lotro thru the same router.

And shameless self-promotion...
    https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...things-to-know (It probably is worth noting that a lot of the links are now 404d but you might be able to google something from the titles.)

The trade crash could also be happening if the number of inventory bag slots is not equal between trading parties. This happened to me but was fixed after I purchased additional bag space so that all my accounts had the same inventory amount.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am using some plugins such as buffbars, alt inventory and pvmp.
    When the crashes happened I was trading with other people - twice using the computers at home (same network) and twice with random people (so different network)
    I don't think that the reason is related to the number of inv. slots people have - one would have no control over that.

It may be related to plugins - will try trading with plugins unloaded - I think it's likely to be related to this.
    If crashes will still occur then I'll submit a bug report.

It's somewhat reassuring to see that others have had the same problem under various circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by GigiKent View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

I am using some plugins such as buffbars, alt inventory and pvmp.
    When the crashes happened I was trading with other people - twice using the computers at home (same network) and twice with random people (so different network)
    I don't think that the reason is related to the number of inv. slots people have - one would have no control over that.

It may be related to plugins - will try trading with plugins unloaded - I think it's likely to be related to this.
    If crashes will still occur then I'll submit a bug report.

It's somewhat reassuring to see that others have had the same problem under various circumstances.
    To isolate plugins, be sure to set them to not autoload and then completely close the client and restart the client so that you are testing with a fresh client that never had any plugins loaded. The reason is, game crashes involving plugins are caused by instability in the underlying framework, not the individual plugin and once the client is unstable, unloading the plugin is not sufficient to make the client stable again. If the game doesn't crash without autoloading the plugins, then try loading them one at a time to isolate which one is crashing the client so that we can isolate which part of the API has the bug. These bugs are very rare and at this point can only be documented as SSG no longer employs the devs that implemented the Lua API so there is no one available to fix the bugs - I already confirmed with SSG that they have no plans to do any work on Lua (which would include bug fixes) since none of the devs who did the original work are with SSG. Bug reports still have to be submitted so they can be properly documented (and in case SSG ever does get a dev capable of fixing the API).

Another factor that might make a trade bug like this intermittent would be vault-keepers. Be sure to note whether or not you are in range of a vault-keeper when the crashes happen.
    Last edited by Garan; Jan 18 2017 at 07:57 AM.

I used to crash on trading every time I traded something during a Draigoch raid (while in the instance). Back then, I didn't use plugins, so that definitely wasn't the issue in my case. I always assumed it had something to do with being inside the raid. I think I had it happen to me more recently as well, but it rarely happens to me nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by GigiKent View Post
    It happened 4 times when trading. Twice as as free peoples and twice as creep.
    We have 2 computers at home.
    The two crashes when playing freep happened on a computer and the crashes when playing creep happened on the other computer.

What happened?
    When using the secure trade window, the recipient's lotro client crashes as soon as the 'trade' button is clicked.
    The recipient did not offer anything in return.
    The person who offered the item clicked the 'trade' button first.

Did anyone else notice this ? I could not find this reported on the forum.
    Hope a dev sees this, I'm happy to provide additional details if needed.

Thanks
    Today that happened to me as well. Everytime I finalized a trade after my friend had already hit the trade button the crashed immediately to desktop. No freeze, no other indication just hit the trade button and instantly looking at desktop??? What they've done now who knows??
    Alendree Angor Chasm Canaloco Fatalblade Krackerbox Valorin Whisper
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.
    from "Fern Hill" by Dylan Thomas

Lightbulb

Old thread but still relevant. Yes it still happens alot.

We have started using mail, even if we stand beside each other, just to avoid crashing. Unfortionetly that is not an option when wanting to trade gear in an instance that have the 1h trade counter on it. Then You must use trade wondow and often crash.

I bugged this long ago. A Year+ ago I think. Around the release of Mordor as it was then we started getting the crashes, or at least notice them. Still no fix.

Funny thing is that often after one such crash and if we trade again soon after with the same person (once logged in again), then no one of us will crash.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Oct 23 2019 at 04:03 AM.