We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Creating volume effects?

I have a heard an ABC file before that did a fade out. I kept wondering if it was simply created by doubling an instrument and then adding it as layers for the same track, or was there an actual mark of some kind in the ABC file itself that caused it.

I tried changing the volume in a MIDI file in Anvil Studio - no immediate effect on the volume in the preview, at least. And there's nothing that's not seen before inside the ABC file, either.
    'Amdir we call it, "looking up". But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is "trust". It is not defeated by ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and first being.'

In Laurelin - Lover of Tolkien's lore

I don 't know about Anvil. But there a bunch of free midi editors you can use. Personally I use an open souce editor called MidiEditor, but any will do.
    And even though you can edit the .abc file itself by adjusting/changing the +ppp+, +pp+, +p+, +mp+, +mf+, +f+, +ff+ and +fff+ it's better to change the source (midi) itself.

Change of the velocity-volume of notes may not do it. So if not, you need to make midi events for the notes you wish to change volume for (you will usually always see some events in the beginning of any track/channel).
    A midi event called 7 Channel Volume (MSB), at least in MidiEditor, should force a given note to be played at a different level of volume. So if the value is set to 127 in the beginning the notes on that track/channel will/should be played at that volume until it's forced by another Channel Volume to be played at a lower value.
    If you just need a fade-out of a song at the end, then the BruTE midi to abc converter can do that .. though a little rough, but it does the job. Link here; https://sites.google.com/site/brutemm/the-program
    Sev ... Member and founder of Instant Play. Concert every Monday 19:00-20:00 CET (13:00-14:00 server time) at The Methel Stage on Gwaihir.
    Alles Musik oder was!
    Instant Play YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Quasquid/

Thanks Kvanti, I'll look into them.
    'Amdir we call it, "looking up". But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is "trust". It is not defeated by ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and first being.'

In Laurelin - Lover of Tolkien's lore