We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyrca View Post
    Hello,

I suspect that many of these issues are related to the new embedded browser technology, that was the major new tech that was introduced in this update.

From what I'm reading, I think there are 2 classes of problems:
    1) 32-bit OS'es are resulting in a client crash
    2) Some folks on 64-bin OS'es are seeing the client fail to start
    While the end result is the same (you can't play), the cause and fix(s) may be different.

For the 32 bit OS folks:
    • Is there anyone running on a 32 bit OS that CAN launch the game? Friends/Family?
    • If you are in this bucket (of crashing on a 32 bit OS), are reasonably technically savvy, and have a little bit of time to try an experiment for me, please send me a PM.

For the 64 bit OS folks (and potentially the 32 bit ones):
    • I see that a couple of folks have had luck with removing d3d9.dll. That dll should not be in there. Do you folks have older installations? Or did you put it there as a workaround at some point in the past?
    • I'm not sure if this will help with these problems, but if you need to install/repair DirectX 9, you can get Microsoft's installer for it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=35
    • In the launcher, click the arrow button -> Options -> Repair tab, you can check the "Reset the game display settings" if you want to run your client under DirectX 9.

[/list]
    Win XP, nothing changes.

For the record, here on Ubuntu Linux with WINE it crashes with a black window after login - in D3D9 mode it used to run fine for ages.
    I also no longer see any D3D9-related files in the LOTRO folder now.

(and it probably makes sense to update the currently empty "Known Issues" section in the update announcement)
    using [Gold Dye] on spam does not improve its taste

Quote Originally Posted by LethalLethality View Post
    I'm having the same issue.

Windows 7 Premium 64 Bit

I can remove d3d9.dll and the game works BUT I need that dll for SweetFX to work. I've gotten so used to SweetFX that I can no longer enjoy the drab grey haze that plague the game for some reason.

Anyone know of a way to get SweetFX to run with current LotRO?
    Preach it brother (or sister) preach it.

I just got ReShade loaded. It looks great, but I prefer SweetFX.
    True character is not something shaped from without, or put on, but it is something radiating from within

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhead View Post
    Nope. Game just disappears when I try to log into Laurelin. I have Win 10 Home, 64-bit, latest drivers
    If you got a USB external drive or USB memory stick 32gb or higher, copy the LOTRO from your wife's onto it, then rename yours and copy the one from the USB to same place so you have Old LOTR and the LOTRO there.

Try Running the game after.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshbox View Post
    I can wait 24 hours or so patiently for SSG to resolve this or do a roll back. Now we will know just what kind of caretakers SSG are. There's no better test than resolving problems from an inadequately tested roll out ;-)
    waiting patiently is ok just don't hold your breathe while waiting is looking like same old crapola, "its not our fault or the update it is your computer's fault"

Quote Originally Posted by GondorZilla View Post
    After the change over, the game now resides in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\StandingStoneGames\The Lord of the Rings Online

It's worth doing a Copy of the
    C:\Program Files\Turbine\The Lord of the Rings Online

To the new location and try running the game client from it, if you get Firewall msg, do Private only not Public.
    Hmm. I don't have a StandingStoneGames folder in Program Files (X86) after the update, everything is still under "Turbine."

UPDATE: I created a StandingStoneGames folder and copied LoTRO over to it, but got the same result. Should there be spaces in that folder name?
    Last edited by Artegall; May 31 2017 at 03:15 PM.
    Hamlet was right . . . but so was P.T. Barnum!

Quote Originally Posted by Pony-o View Post
    For the record, here on Ubuntu Linux with WINE it crashes with a black window after login - in D3D9 mode it used to run fine for ages.
    Linux user here. There is no d3d9.dll in our game directory (Steam version).

Just to be clear:

1. Launcher application works.
    2. Launcher successfully patches.
    3. Game client allows world selection.
    4. Game client exits
    5. There is no exit or error code in the debug log, so this issue can't be readily traced.

Replicated on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Quote Originally Posted by Tybur View Post
    We are currently investigating reports from those of you running a 32-bit operating system and seeing errors that the lotroclient has stopped working. I don't know if we will have a solution, but we are looking into it.
    I am running Windows Vista 64 bit and get the errors that the lotroclient has stopped working.
    Timny Wiggins, Guardian
    Kydm, Stalker

<snip>
    For the 64 bit OS folks (and potentially the 32 bit ones):
    • I see that a couple of folks have had luck with removing d3d9.dll. That dll should not be in there. Do you folks have older installations? Or did you put it there as a workaround at some point in the past?
    <snip>
    Yes, I have (had) SweetFX installed. That's where the d3d9.dll was.
    I was able to run the game as usual after renaming this file and using DX11.
    Spiders in V1 Pre-B13: 8-legged menace. B13: 8-legged bait. B14: 8-legged trap... no more! B15/MoM: 8-legged *splat!*
    Spiders in V2
    B7: We cope. B8: FotM? B9: 8-legged menace.
    Spiders in V3
    B3: Mourning for my hatchlings.

I decided to check the forums and see if there are any other problems since the update. Apparently the update has also caused a malfunction and is not letting some open the LOTRO store as well, maybe rolling back this update is a REALLY good idea SSG. It would seem you have really fumbled the ball here now get things fixed and stop acting like WB & Turbine and stop blaming us and our computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellethariel View Post
    Something got messed up in their patch today - I am not deleting, renaming, juggling, jiggling anything until I hear from the powers that are what to do about THEIR MISTAKE.
    +10, QFT.

SSG/Turbine keeping knocking it out of the park don't they...

Quote Originally Posted by Arachnella View Post
    Yes, I have (had) SweetFX installed. That's where the d3d9.dll was.
    I was able to run the game as usual after renaming this file and using DX11.
    Glad some of You seem to get it fixed.

However I have never used SweetFX and do not have that d3d9.dll in my game directory and still crash. So do others that don't have it either, so while it fixes it for some, it does not fix it for all unfortionetly. I have always run LoTRo in DX11. I think I tried it in DX9 once but that did not improve performance for me so I went back to DX11.
    I am still happy though for those that can play now.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; May 31 2017 at 03:24 PM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Linux/Wine logs.

I use Linux/Wine, and have the same problem - here are the warning logs I got (most are just xbox/joystick warnings, which I don't have installed.)
    https://pastebin.com/RPXcHLNW

This reminds me that I had to limit the MaxVersionGL to 3.2 due to some NVidia incompatibility with opengl. Could that be the problem?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rossiter84 View Post
    I decided to check the forums and see if there are any other problems since the update. Apparently the update has also caused a malfunction and is not letting some open the LOTRO store as well, maybe rolling back this update is a REALLY good idea SSG. It would seem you have really fumbled the ball here now get things fixed and stop acting like WB & Turbine and stop blaming us and our computers.
    To be fair no one from staff has blamed us or our computers. That are just some of the other players that posted such posts. We can't blame SSG for those posts.

I can vouch that SSG are trying to fix this. I have been PM contact and even tried a few work arounds on my machine, as suggested by SSG via PM but so far nothing worked. They are still trying and I will help all I can as well. I am also affected and still try to stay calm and hopefully help in some way.

I agree that if no fix can be found a rollback might be the best solution for now but that is up to SSG to decide. I really want to get back to playing the game as well.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rossiter84 View Post
    Did they blame "our" hardware?

I didn't see that. If I missed it, I apologize.

I think the blame, such that it was, was initiated by other players.
    True character is not something shaped from without, or put on, but it is something radiating from within

My game wont even finish the updating process. It just says "cannot save data files" and keeps retrying.

WTH did you guys do?
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will try to kill you. But first...they must catch you. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and you will never be destroyed...

I have a 'Potatoes' machine (as some would say).

I could of run off and brought a new machine but this windows vista 32 bit machine with 4gb ram and a reasonable graphics card (GT 640) has played Lotro fine for the last 10 years (apart from obligatory crashes in unoptimised areas like Bree at high pop times.

Now if it is rally a case the Lotro is no longer supported on Windows Vista OS (be it due to Google Chrome no longer supported or what ever), why has SSG not warned the community?

https://help.standingstonegames.com/...nts-for-LOTRO-

Min spec:

Minimum System Requirements
    Operating System: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (64bit recommended for high resolution)
    Processor: Core 2 Duo / AMD Athlon II or better
    Memory: 2GB
    Graphics: GeForce 7XXX / ATI Radeon HD 3000 series
    with 512MB or more of dedicated video memory
    Internet Connection: Cable/DSL or equivalent
    DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

Unsupported Operating Systems:

Currently LOTRO is not supported on the following operating systems or hardware:

Windows XP or earlier versions
    Any beta or preview versions of Windows releases
    Linux
    PlayStation, Wii, or XBox hardware

I am try a fresh install (and probably mega patching) from there link here for standard resolutions:
    http://content.turbine.com/sites/cli.../lotrolive.exe

Personally I feel that major change that is probably causing the issue was the adding of the in game browser for the store, this causing the 'insta gib' crash due to the fact the game opens browser and movie play options when it starts (if it was the changes to things like vitality calculation etc it would affect everyone).

SSG if Lotro is no longer supported on Windows Vista please tell us now and maybe we will have the reason to upgrade or machines now

Note: my files are still in the codemasters start folder. Yes thats how long I have had the game on my machine.

Thank you to those who have suggested trying fixes but no luck.

I gave up and just disabled (renamed) d3d9.dll in the LoTRO folder and started the game. The graphics option shows that the game is still running in DX9, and I see that there is a d3d9.dll file in my Windows\System32 folder as well. That one is dated 2010, and the one I disabled is dated 2015. I haven't used SweetFX in quite a while, but I now have a new PC, so maybe I can once this is all worked out.
    Hamlet was right . . . but so was P.T. Barnum!

On Linux: Updated the virtual drive in PlayOnLinux from 1.9.x to 2.7-staging and it is working again (also changed the OS from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 in settings).

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by swamphobbit View Post
    Did they blame "our" hardware?

I didn't see that. If I missed it, I apologize.

I think the blame, such that it was, was initiated by other players.
    Yes I missed that too, I would like see where.

[QUOTE=Zyrca;7727456]Hello,

"I see that a couple of folks have had luck with removing d3d9.dll. That dll should not be in there. Do you folks have older installations? Or did you put it there as a workaround at some point in the past? "

Yes swamphobbit this is a subtle potshot at it being our fault for having that file in our LOTRO directory which by the way I don't have in my LOTRO directory. My loader still just stops when I hit play with no error report or anything .

Quote Originally Posted by Artegall View Post
    Hmm. I don't have a StandingStoneGames folder in Program Files (X86) after the update, everything is still under "Turbine."

UPDATE: I created a StandingStoneGames folder and copied LoTRO over to it, but got the same result. Should there be spaces in that folder name?
    No spaces

What OS and did you rename the LOTRO folder in my Docs and on the loading screen, do Options Repair?

Quote Originally Posted by rockmonkeybrand View Post
    I have a 'Potatoes' machine (as some would say).

I could of run off and brought a new machine but this windows vista 32 bit machine with 4gb ram and a reasonable graphics card (GT 640) has played Lotro fine for the last 10 years (apart from obligatory crashes in unoptimised areas like Bree at high pop times.

Now if it is rally a case the Lotro is no longer supported on Windows Vista OS (be it due to Google Chrome no longer supported or what ever), why has SSG not warned the community?

https://help.standingstonegames.com/...nts-for-LOTRO-

Min spec:

Minimum System Requirements
    Operating System: Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (64bit recommended for high resolution)
    Processor: Core 2 Duo / AMD Athlon II or better
    Memory: 2GB
    Graphics: GeForce 7XXX / ATI Radeon HD 3000 series
    with 512MB or more of dedicated video memory
    Internet Connection: Cable/DSL or equivalent
    DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

Unsupported Operating Systems:

Currently LOTRO is not supported on the following operating systems or hardware:

Windows XP or earlier versions
    Any beta or preview versions of Windows releases
    Linux
    PlayStation, Wii, or XBox hardware

I am try a fresh install (and probably mega patching) from there link here for standard resolutions:
    http://content.turbine.com/sites/cli.../lotrolive.exe

Personally I feel that major change that is probably causing the issue was the adding of the in game browser for the store, this causing the 'insta gib' crash due to the fact the game opens browser and movie play options when it starts (if it was the changes to things like vitality calculation etc it would affect everyone).

SSG if Lotro is no longer supported on Windows Vista please tell us now and maybe we will have the reason to upgrade or machines now

Note: my files are still in the codemasters start folder. Yes thats how long I have had the game on my machine.

Thank you to those who have suggested trying fixes but no luck.
    fancy the post from april 3rd 2017 saying xp unsupported yet been able to play till this update. xD

Quote Originally Posted by swamphobbit View Post
    Preach it brother (or sister) preach it.

I just got ReShade loaded. It looks great, but I prefer SweetFX.
    I see Y'all talking about ReShade and SweetFX. What is it and where is it located? I need the explanation for dummies.

[QUOTE=Rossiter84;7727527]
    Hello,

"I see that a couple of folks have had luck with removing d3d9.dll. That dll should not be in there. Do you folks have older installations? Or did you put it there as a workaround at some point in the past? "

Yes swamphobbit this is a subtle potshot at it being our fault for having that file in our LOTRO directory which by the way I don't have in my LOTRO directory. My loader still just stops when I hit play with no error report or anything .
    That's cool. I get it. Anyway, that file is for SweetFX. It has to be in the LOTRO directory for SweetFX to function. That was an easy fix for a number of us, but obviously not the only problem

There is another solution some of y'all might want to try. I wish I had a link but there is a library of .CAB files with DirectX drivers. Probably 150. It's an executable and will install those .dll's to your System directory. Also, check your Control Panel for the installed Redistributables. There are some from 2005 that have to be installed to run the game.

I know that is not the most fun thing to do and we shouldn't have to do that because of a bad update, but it's worth a check and that's all I'm suggesting. Those .CAB files can probably be found via Microsoft, or somebody here may have a link. I keep them around on my backup drive because I pulled my hair out a year or two ago after having to reinstall the game and not being able to get it to work.

I hope y'all are back in the game soon. This kind of stuff sucks.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast