We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvaden View Post
    Yes, same here, not one iota of a difference, I have the game installed on two different virtual drives, one 32 bit the other 64 bit...no joy with any Graphics Core changes.
    Given the nature of the game update, and of so many folks on XP and Vista having issues, I am wondering if it is simply an issue with Chromium not playing nice in Wine.

Is there a way in the UserPrefs to force the game to launch the Store externally? If so, we Linux users (and perhaps even XP and Vista users) might be able to work around the black screen of doom.

On a somewhat related note:

How do I cancel my VIP subscription if I can't log into the game?

The Account page no longer has that functionality since Turbine left the building...if this is not the case, please educate me.

Edit: I pay 3 months at time, really not keen on rolling over on June 1rst with this issue unresolved. The fact that it appears to be Chromium related irks me because external browser support is still in place according to the patch notes.
    Open launcher and click account?

Quote Originally Posted by siipperi View Post
    Have they ever supported 3rd party injector systems? I highly doubt that. Those 3rd parties make it work usually not other way around.
    So after 3 years, because "funny" little update I need stop use SweetFx? And lost taste for this game? Because without SweetFX it looks like grey mouse... nice move SSG !
    Laurelin RP
    sTrolling in Lotro nearly 9 years
    Lumiere Aineias - Captain of Highest Quality
    Leader of Kinship: Orcs stole my lunch money

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We have been investigating reports of game launcher issues that have been reported since today's release of Update 20.1.2. So far we have identified two separate causes for these issues, and we continue to work on solutions.

For Windows 7 and higher players who utilize the third party SweetFX utility program (or similar utility programs if they are having issues), they should uninstall the program. This is not a third-party utility we support, and apologize for the inconvenience.

For XP and Vista users, we are currently working on a solution to allow you to launch the game. We'll have more information when we are ready to deploy the fix, which we expect to have ready as soon as possible. The issue you are experiencing has to do with the new in-game browser not being compatible to older 32-bit systems such as Vista and XP, since those operating systems don't support newer Chromium Embedded Framework.
    My desktop is a Vista sp2 64 bit OS, which sees the client stopping to work when trying to login to a server. My 8.1 laptop ran okay today. Looks like I can at least do some of the scavenger hunting on my laptop, until something can be worked out..
    In place of a dark lord, you shall have Queen...... All shall love me and despair

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullets View Post
    Given the nature of the game update, and of so many folks on XP and Vista having issues, I am wondering if it is simply an issue with Chromium not playing nice in Wine.

Is there a way in the UserPrefs to force the game to launch the Store externally? If so, we Linux users (and perhaps even XP and Vista users) might be able to work around the black screen of doom.
    That's my concern, I have stopped using Chrome/Chromium for various reasons and hate to see it get insinuated back into something like LOTRO. But the patchnotes seem to indicate that there's path outta this mess:

• The LOTRO Store once again opens using an in-game browser. Note that the Mac client will continue to use an external browser for now.
    • There is now an option to open the LOTRO Store in an external window. This option can be found under Game Options > UI Settings > WebStore > External Store.

Nothing I can find in UserPrefs though...

Quote Originally Posted by rockmonkeybrand View Post
    Open launcher and click account?
    Ah! Another account page, and it has the subscription settings. Thanks.

Silly me, I was using the My Account on the official web site: https://www.lotro.com/en/account/

What is the point of a Known Issues section on the Patch Notes? When it's always BLANK!

EDIT ok refreshed the page and now see something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Eheh! Yeah as I said all that other was irrelevant but just to show my motive for refusing Win 10 and for good reasons. It's not bad O/S in iteslf it's all about the privacy issues for me. If Microsft made a real turn off switch for all that data collection I would run it.

I totally understand the rest. Still with a game that is from 2007 I would still exepect it to run even on older O/S that it was designed for. As I said in an earlier reply that some friends I know even chose to play LoTRO for that reason. They don't expect newer games like GW2, BD and such to run on heir old PC's but a game that has always run on it they expect to still work. That is partly why they have stuck with LoTRO. I even keep an old XP machine working. Unplugged from internet though, just to play some old games I like that will not run well on newer O/S or the sound will not work or something might be bugged but works fine on XP. I even regret throwing away an old win95 PC I had that could run MS DOS fine as some old games like Pool of Radiance and Deathknights of Krynn worked fine on it and I still have the original game packs of those. Now I can not run them on any PC I have.

I hope I didn't come off as rude before in my reply as that was not my intention.
    Not at all. Just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't proposing that people should be forced to switch to Windows 10, which seemed to be what you were implying that I said.

As for the expectation that old games will continue to work on OSes they were initially designed for.... That is a reasonable expectation for local games, but not games that require an Internet connection. MMOs have a liability issue if they push out software with known security problems in it.

For Windows 7 and higher players who utilize the third party SweetFX utility program (or similar utility programs if they are having issues), they should uninstall the program. This is not a third-party utility we support, and apologize for the inconvenience.
    I can only say that I'm running SweetFT on Win10 64bit and I'm not seeing these crashes after log-in. I have other crashing problems tho, such as whenever I'm made RAT, whenever entering Minas Tirith / Pelennor regions and when exiting instances. Getting these crashes even when SweetFX is off so that's not whats causing problems for me.
    Former resident of Withywindle now settling in on Laurelin :D

The Bandits Raid Alliance - Laurelin
    http://thebandits.guildlaunch.com/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    Not at all. Just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't proposing that people should be forced to switch to Windows 10, which seemed to be what you were implying that I said.

As for the expectation that old games will continue to work on OSes they were initially designed for.... That is a reasonable expectation for local games, but not games that require an Internet connection. MMOs have a liability issue if they push out software with known exploits in it.
    Good point. Very good point acctually. I like it when people have well thought through replies. I bow to Your logic.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Okay, in order to assist:

PC 1 - Desktop PC with 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, GTX 960, Firefox browser, used SweetFX; When logging into server, game disappears, does not show in Task Manager. Tried removing D3D9.dll file, no change.

PC 2 - Laptop PC with 8 GB RAm, Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit, graphics chip, Firefox browser, no SweetFX; Game works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Theandil View Post
    And any chance SweetFx will be supported again?
    My eyes hurts when I see "grey" lotro game. And somehow I don't want to play this game again without SweetFx.

//Petition to make SweetFX great again !

SweetFX and the like have *always* been "use at your own risk" things. They're not supported by the game company, they're supported by the people who make them. It's your responsibility to understand and use it like anything else. It should be the first or second thing to try removing when something game-related doesn't work as it should--which is how I fixed my problem in the first place.

That said, it is entirely possible to continue using it, you just (seemingly) need an updated version. I'll be happy to PM you a link to one that works if you like.
    Amarantha:Hobbit Minstrel~Brandywine~~Aethele:Human Lore-master~Lisiantha:Hobbit Guardian~Escalariel:Elf Champion~Landroval

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    We are in the same boat but don't give up yet.

So far they have said they are trying to find a fix. They had no idea this would happen as they can't possibly test all different PC specs and various GPU's as well as what different updates we all have on O/S and browers etc. As long as they haven't said they can't fix it or won't fix it we should not give up. Give them some time as they have no idea what is wrong atm either. Let's all try and help. Give them our specs including what browser and version we are running etc. Anything that can help them isolate what has gone wrong and if it's possible to fix.

I'm not happy about it either but I'm not giving up just yet. Try and hang in there.
    Here, here....agreed. I'm not one to give up without a fight. Tomorrow I am off to Gatlinburg, TN for about a week...so hopefully the fix will be in by the time I get back.

What about the store issues? We just left in the dust? Its like you dont want money.
    Captain-General Ughidontknow...Tripso rnk 6 burg...Izeatzfreepz rnk 8 warg....Yells rnk 10 warleader
    Leader of The Hobbit Syndicate
    "Everyone wants to be the hero and no one wants to be support"

Quote Originally Posted by WBS View Post
    If it's useful at all; I was able to start the Launcher and log-in, but when I selected a server and tried to launch the client it didn't appear. The launcher said that the client was running but task manager didn't.

I tried moving the "UserPreferences.ini" and then the launcher vanished as well when I selected a server and tried to launch the client.

I moved my original "UserPreferences.ini" back and renamed the "d3d9.dll", which others have stated is part of SweetFX, and all worked again, including SweetFX.
    So what's the rename and does it start with GraphicCore=?

Removed d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll from the lotro folder and it worked again.

And after installing a current version of Reshade (current SweetFX) it still works.

We have been investigating reports of game launcher issues that have been reported since today's release of Update 20.1.2. So far we have identified two separate causes for these issues, and we continue to work on solutions.

For XP and Vista users, we are currently working on a solution to allow you to launch the game. We'll have more information when we are ready to deploy the fix, which we expect to have ready as soon as possible. The issue you are experiencing has to do with the new in-game browser not being compatible to older 32-bit systems such as Vista and XP, since those operating systems don't support newer Chromium Embedded Framework.
    TY for the info, Cordovan. You're Johnny on the spot as usual. I have been playing LOTRO on Vista for 6 years now without a problem..until this morning. I don't blame LOTRO, but microsoft; inc. It could have allowed for support for all of its OS's but didn't. I will be out of game anyway for about a week, give or take, so y'all should have a fix in by then. TY again.

None of the suggestions work for me. Yesterday it was working fine and today it is borked. I upgraded WINE to 2.4, against my better judgment, and it still doesn't work. I've tried deleting the d3d9.dll and then putting it back, but neither work. There's no excuse for this big of an oversight in testing. If you can't run a client that worked yesterday, you've made a change too big for your client base without communicating that possibility for failure. I can play Everquest II just fine, which is where I'll be spending my time and money for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrahless View Post
    None of the suggestions work for me. Yesterday it was working fine and today it is borked. I upgraded WINE to 2.4, against my better judgment, and it still doesn't work. I've tried deleting the d3d9.dll and then putting it back, but neither work. There's no excuse for this big of an oversight in testing. If you can't run a client that worked yesterday, you've made a change too big for your client base without communicating that possibility for failure. I can play Everquest II just fine, which is where I'll be spending my time and money for now.
    I hate to break it to you, but you're using an unsupported OS (Linux), with an unsupprted add-on (SweetFX). They're never going to test that configuration.

I hate to break it to you, but you're using an unsupported OS (Linux), with an unsupprted add-on (SweetFX). You're a pretty low priority.
    Thanks for being a toady. I don't need anyone to point out the obvious. And I don't use Sweet FX, genius.

Same Game Starting issues here:

After server-selecting, the game disappears.

I renamed the userpreferences.ini and started the launcher again. After confirmiing EULAs, entering login-data and chosing the server, i get the error-code 122.

no compatible graphic-card was found. Are you running a remote-session oder a vm? If not, please check the graphics capabilities of your hardware. [122] (translated from the german error-message)

Laptop-pc with built-in graphic chip geforce 840M (latest drivers), dx11
    windows 10 creators update

No d3d9.
    no sweet-fx
    no reshade

not to mention, game works fine before the update.
    Last edited by Lusiwusi; May 31 2017 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrahless View Post
    Thanks for being a toady. I don't need anyone to point out the obvious. And I don't use Sweet FX, genius.
    I'm not "being a toady". Just pointing out that SSG never had any intention of supporting Linux (or SweetFX; apologies if you're not using that. I guess you were referring to the DLL that is included in WINE).

Linux users always have the possibility of something breaking. You can't expect SSG to react unless you can prove that it's broken in Windows also. If it works in Windows (which it currently doesn't), then the Linux users need to maintain their usual do-it-yourself attitude and figure out how to make it work in WINE.

That's my concern, I have stopped using Chrome/Chromium for various reasons and hate to see it get insinuated back into something like LOTRO. But the patchnotes seem to indicate that there's path outta this mess:

• The LOTRO Store once again opens using an in-game browser. Note that the Mac client will continue to use an external browser for now.
    • There is now an option to open the LOTRO Store in an external window. This option can be found under Game Options > UI Settings > WebStore > External Store.

Nothing I can find in UserPrefs though...
    Okay, so I logged into Windows 7 and managed to get the Store to launch externally. However, when I actually tried to launch the Store, it minimizes LOTRO and no browser is launching. So that feature doesn't actually work. However, the point of the exercise was to get the game to write the option to the UserPrefs. The magic option is under the "[UI]" section:

WebstoreExternalWindow=True

Unfortunately, when I set this under Linux, the game still black screen and turned into a zombie process.

I still suspect that whatever fix the devs come up with for the Vista and XP users will fix it for Linux.

I'm not "being a toady". Just pointing out that SSG never had any intention of supporting Linux (or SweetFX; apologies if you're not using that. I guess you were referring to the DLL that is included in WINE).

Linux users always have the possibility of something breaking. You can't expect SSG to react unless you can prove that it's broken in Windows also. If it works in Windows (which it currently doesn't), then the Linux users need to maintain their usual do-it-yourself attitude and figure out how to make it work in WINE.
    Yup. This is why I keep the Windows 7 partition around. As plan B!

Oh look, a Windows user who presumes to tell a Linux user how they should respond. If they broke the code, because of the browser plugin, or how they call the dx dll, you think a Linux user should fix it? Get a clue. I've been making this work since you were bouncing on your pappy's lap, so just go away and let it go.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast