We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Thought I had escaped this issue on Win 10 64bit system. Had my daughter download update while I was at work Wednesday. Once update was complete, even had her log into game. Everything worked fine so had her exit game and shut down computer. When I got home, went to fire up game and got the damned Error 5. Tried a few things but ended up uninstalling game. Went in and manually deleted remaining Turbine folder. Did make sure and backup my pref file and keymapping. From there, downloaded and reinstalled game and all works fine.

ETA: Only thing extra or third party I had was Combat Analysis plug-in. So no SweetFX or anything like that to cause issue.
    CAANWICK - Wardenist - Make Wardens Great Again!!! / CAANJOB - The Ettenmoors' worst Burglar / CAANJAAL - Hunter
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, you've already lost!"
    Forged in Flames-Crickhollow

Quote Originally Posted by Wibz View Post
    When you uninstalled the game, did you make sure that the game folder was empty? If you reinstalled over a previous install then any sweetfx files, etc will most likely still be in the game folder.
    I used steam unistall, so I am not sure if the game folder was empty (but I dont have any d3d9.dll,d3d9.fx,dxgi.dll,dxgi .fx,injector.ini,log.log,shade r.fx,SweetFX readme.txt,SweetFX_preset.txt, SweetFX_settings.txt in the folder). I also reseted game display settings.

48 hours without being able to enter. With Turbine, this had never happened. I tried the fix without success.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru_Zeree View Post
    I used steam unistall, so I am not sure if the game folder was empty
    That certainly won't empty the folder, it will only remove files installed. It does seem that people having this issue need to completely wipe their build. I can only assume that for some people there's some old files left around that are causing problems.

vista + steam

Hi all, i was trying to get back in the game with the current instructions ( https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...46#post7728146 )

So i am using steam and i found out that i have to copy the files into "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\L ord of the Rings Online" ,
    after that i am able to log in in the server i am in (evernight) BUT after that i have a new problem " error 104" something about directx 9 and the game crashes to desctop when i click any button. I hope this will help
    ( i am trying to solve the new problem now)

the announced fix (put out yesterday at 5pm) did make the game playable again ... yaaaaah!!! .....

I would suggest they make their (programmers) software check compatibility more in future and have a workable option (and test for such endcases are handled)

Quote Originally Posted by Celeborn_of_lorien View Post
    Hi all, i was trying to get back in the game with the current instructions ( https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...46#post7728146 )

So i am using steam and i found out that i have to copy the files into "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\L ord of the Rings Online" ,
    after that i am able to log in in the server i am in (evernight) BUT after that i have a new problem " error 104" something about directx 9 and the game crashes to desctop when i click any button. I hope this will help
    ( i am trying to solve the new problem now)
    That would have been a smart inclusion in the instructions - 'filename' and how to search to find where it lives for people with non-standard or alternate (like steam) installation...

It's odd that they don't simply roll back the last update while they find a permanent solution.

what a complete and utter fiasco. The best thing SSG should be doing is issuing some solid advice for players to not to do anything with their clients until a patch is ready and rolled out via the normal update process. Getting players to waste their time with delete/reinstall on flimsy evidence and, even worse asking players to manually add files to the steam-based client is just shambolic.

This is reminiscent of 2 bit IT companies who roll out updates whilst in full on panic mode. Better to just advise customers to leave their game installs well alone whilst a proper fix is put together, tested on all platforms and then rolled out via the launcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    It's odd that they don't simply roll back the last update while they find a permanent solution.
    Think that would be a lot more work than it's worth, not sure its even possible for them to roll it back? All depends on how their client updates the game etc which im guessing with how old it is that it may not be possible?

Quote Originally Posted by BangoTwinkletoes View Post
    what a complete and utter fiasco. The best thing SSG should be doing is issuing some solid advice for players to not to do anything with their clients until a patch is ready and rolled out via the normal update process. Getting players to waste their time with delete/reinstall on flimsy evidence and, even worse asking players to manually add files to the steam-based client is just shambolic.

This is reminiscent of 2 bit IT companies who roll out updates whilst in full on panic mode. Better to just advise customers to leave their game installs well alone whilst a proper fix is put together, tested on all platforms and then rolled out via the launcher.
    Not sure where you think SSG told them to uninstall the game?

Benordis LvL 105 Champion - Beniso LvL 105 Minstrel - Benisia LvL 105 Burglar - Bengrit LvL 105 Rune-keeper - Beney LvL 105 Guardian

Quote Originally Posted by Ydn View Post
    The work around fix does not work for me . I can't even download the first file. All it does is bring up a text of the file .
    Hi Ydn, I assume you left clicked on the link to download? Browsers by default tend to display text files rather than save them to disk. To force your browser to download the file, right click on the link instead. You should see a popup menu. In my browser (Firefox), it has an option to "Save link as...". You should see a similar option, depending on your browser. Once you have selected this option using a left click of your mouse, the browser will prompt you with a "Save As" dialog box, where you can choose the location of where to download it to your computer. Write down this location. Then, go find it with Windows Explorer. Odds are, the default location it will land you in is the Downloads folder. But, of course, you can choose a location where you feel it is easier to find. From there, you can move the file to your LOTRO folder.

I hope that helps.

That certainly won't empty the folder, it will only remove files installed. It does seem that people having this issue need to completely wipe their build. I can only assume that for some people there's some old files left around that are causing problems.
    Ok, I just uninstall and delete everything, including files in documents. And now, when i try to log in, i got error 122

I think I would first try deleting all of the DLLs except the ones required for the launcher to redownload the DLLs. The requried ones are the ones beginning with "Qt", and patchclient.dll.

here we go again

I am widows 10 64 bit system, get to server choice than bam....starts asking if video something or other, what did they break this time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thurallor View Post
    The word rollback is simple and sounds easy. It isn't easy.

SSG would have to build an update that put the old files back in place and prepare to rollback all database changes to the point of shutdown for the problem patch. That could take a couple of days. Meanwhile a lot of people are successfully playing and improving their characters. Suddenly, Boom! People who did not have any problem with the patch lose all their work for 1-3 days.

Hell hath no fury like a player who finally won the roll for the Unwelcome Mat only to lose it in a rollback.

I have been in this position with commercial software. You can roll it back and you will lose 2 million dollars worth of work, or you can keep running with the problematic update until we patch it (or you get your act together an upgrade the last of your users from unsupported browser) and only lose $50,000 worth of work per day for a few days.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nosdracir View Post
    The word rollback is simple and sounds easy. It isn't easy.

SSG would have to build an update that put the old files back in place and prepare to rollback all database changes to the point of shutdown for the problem patch. That could take a couple of days. Meanwhile a lot of people are successfully playing and improving their characters. Suddenly, Boom! People who did not have any problem with the patch lose all their work for 1-3 days.

Hell hath no fury like a player who finally won the roll for the Unwelcome Mat only to lose it in a rollback.

I have been in this position with commercial software. You can roll it back and you will lose 2 million dollars worth of work, or you can keep running with the problematic update until we patch it (or you get your act together an upgrade the last of your users from unsupported browser) and only lose $50,000 worth of work per day for a few days.
    But surely they could roll back the client changes separately from the server changes? Maybe not, and that's the issue.

Download DirectX 9.0c Full June 2010 (I believe) See if that helps.
    'Ú-damdir.' Welcome to the Fourth Age of this World - The game breaking days.
    Palenen - Elendilmir - The royal gem of Arnor - "May you 'Jingle Jangle' into the West." <- This was even messed up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybur View Post
    I wonder if the links are not working properly in your browser. Please try copying the text between the quotes below and pasting into your browser navigation field.
    "http://installer.lotro.turbine.com/lotro/lotro_client/TurbineLauncher.exe.config"
    "http://installer.lotro.turbine.com/lotro/lotro_client/lotroclient_awesomium.exe"
    The files should download into your Downloads folder automatically or pop up a dialog asking you where to put the file. This worked for me in IE, Firefox, and Chrome.
    I had the same problem on Linux: login window worked, but immediate crash after world selection.

This fix worked for me on Ubuntu 16.04 / Wine 2.9. Thanks very much, Tybur!
    Tuco of the Quick Post

The fixed worked for Manjaro Linux/Wine 2.9 CSMT /w virtual drive Windows 10/64 bit

Yeah, the fix resolved the problem for me, no issues. Also, my FPS seems to have improved across the board -this may be due to the reinstallation, not sure.

UserPrefs set for GraphicsCore=D3D9 (with csmt enabled in the registry setting, I get really great performance with CSMT, and now more so since the new installation, patch and fix)

Manjaro Linux/Wine 2.9 CSMT /w virtual drive Windows 10/64 bit

So, I renewed my subscription, paid up until November.

Problem Solved

PROBLEM SOLVED
    Windows 10, 64-bit, steam version
    I reinstall the game, deleted everything including documents files, reinstall steam, used cclener, reinstall graphics card drivers...and boom, I am back in Middle-earth . Thank you all, who are helping here

Quote Originally Posted by Dru_Zeree View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED
    Windows 10, 64-bit, steam version
    I reinstall the game, deleted everything including documents files, reinstall steam, used cclener, reinstall graphics card drivers...and boom, I am back in Middle-earth . Thank you all, who are helping here
    Nice that it works for you, but to re-install the Game is exactly what I DON'T want to do... Still waiting for SSG to provide a Solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    A few things:

1) You're using Windows Vista in 2017? It is officially the worst operating system in existence and isn't even supported by Microsoft anymore.
    2) Vista.... REALLY?
    3) You don't need a new PC, you need to update your Operating System, which is not difficult and honestly not even that costly. Win7, 8 and 10 are probably much more efficient than Vista anyway, so it may even improve your PC performance.
    4) I don't think it's fair to expect software/game companies to support operating systems that are nearly 11 years old, and complain when they release updates/content that doesn't, at what point does this logic stop, can I get on Windows 2000 and start complaining that the game doesn't work?

Edit: Can buy a basic copy of Windows 7 for £14, that's $20 ish.
    Edit 2: Windows 8.1 Professional, £18.99...
    Firstly, nice of you to condescend to those who still have older machines. Way to show your butt! Secondly, you know little of which you speak. Shaming "11 year old operating systems" when the game itself is that old, makes you look foolish. It's likely that the original game box had XP listed as a valid OS. Here's a few other things:

-You cant get a "basic" (whatever that is) copy of windows 7 for $20 unless via nefarious sources. Full versions are still far more expensive. OEM and upgrades are also still more expensive than $20, (and not all machines qualify to be 'upgraded.')

-Oh also, you cant just slap a newer operating system on any old machine without running the risk of old hardware in-compatibility/supportability by the new OS, especially when you skip a couple OS generations. Anyone recall the "free OS10 upgrade" debacle of 2016??

I have a w10, 2w7, and 2wXP machines. I build computers, and I know what I'm talking about.

Windows 8.1 64-bit Tried downloading update today. Launcher closed after a bit then reopened, It says Installing Pre -Reqs but nothing I happening! The little window in the launcher that shows the latest news is black! I saw the news when it was 1st downloading but nothing now and launcher is frozen doing nothing.

Finally fixed this by closing client launcher and restarting. I'm in game. Breathes a sigh of relief.
    Last edited by Lothloriel; Jun 03 2017 at 08:22 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MsPatrice View Post
    Firstly, nice of you to condescend to those who still have older machines. Way to show your butt! Secondly, you know little of which you speak. Shaming "11 year old operating systems" when the game itself is that old, makes you look foolish. It's likely that the original game box had XP listed as a valid OS. Here's a few other things:

-You cant get a "basic" (whatever that is) copy of windows 7 for $20 unless via nefarious sources. Full versions are still far more expensive. OEM and upgrades are also still more expensive than $20, (and not all machines qualify to be 'upgraded.')

-Oh also, you cant just slap a newer operating system on any old machine without running the risk of old hardware in-compatibility/supportability by the new OS, especially when you skip a couple OS generations. Anyone recall the "free OS10 upgrade" debacle of 2016??

I have a w10, 2w7, and 2wXP machines. I build computers, and I know what I'm talking about.
    Hear! Hear! I'm with ya 100% sister or brother !!!

In fact retailers are not even supposed to be allowed by Microsoft to sell win7 anymore from what I read and could possibly lose their license to be a Microsoft retailer. Even selling pre built PC's with win7 in is not allowed by Microsoft anymore. That deadline has already ran out. That is why I got my official physical copy of win7 install disk with mox and all before that for my build I knew I was going to do eventually. So YES, You are indeed left to key selling sites or shady retailers. If You do not want to risk giving out Your details to them or CC information and risk being scammed or even worse ID theft, well then You are screwed getting anything but win10. Acctually even win8 are not supposed to be sold anymore. Microsoft is doing everything they can to force win10 down everyones throats.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    If You do not want to risk giving out Your details to them or CC information and risk being scammed or even worse ID theft
    And uses XP.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast