We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Map Zones restricted PACKET LOSS help

Been playing the game for over 6 years with no packet loss and 120 ping, everything really stable honestly (i'm not on Wi-fi), when few months ago suddenly i started noticing small percentages of packet loss (1-2%) related to the area i was logged in on my character. It can happen anywhere really (Bree crafting hall, Ithilien) but i've been testing this in the Ettenmoors the most when playing on my creeps. So it seems that the loss is restricted to some 'quarters' of the map, and not the borders between the different locations (Coldfells, Arador's End, Steps of Grams to name a few). As i move away from these areas the connection returns stable and with 0% packet loss.

It doesn't seem to be related to the numbers of players involved or to the machine used (tested it on 2 different laptops and same exact results) and the areas keep changing so it looks random.

Changing router didn't affect it in any way and my ISP says that my connection looks fine and stable (my traceroutes to gls.lotro.com look ok, losing some packets on a couple nodes but PingPlotter shows no packet loss on the graph).

I think it might be caused by some issues with in-game data traffic, but i don't know how can i possibly verify it.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me here, because honestly i'm out of ideas. Forwarding ports, disabling firewalls, antivirus didn't help either sadly.

Try to change this line in your UserPreferences.ini, it's located in "C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\T he Lord of the Rings Online":

[Net]
    ConnectionSpeed=

to your connection speed in kb/s, for example:

[Net]
    ConnectionSpeed=50000

After that you can also try to start CMD as administrator and use "ipconfig /flushdns"

Hope this will help you

Thanks for the reply! My download speed is about 15 Mb/s so I put 15000, hope it's right. After a quick check and /flushdns i'm still seeing around 1% loss (it's bit hard to test as the 'lagging areas' change randomly). Never heard of anyone with this kind of problem, it is so wierd. I guess i have to get used to it, sadly even if apprently low the 'jumps' are really noticeable.

UPDATE: Just finished swapping to my new ISP (on fiber now) and even tho the routing (all but the last 4 hops) is almost completely different (since SSG support said it was eventually a routing problem...), was quite shocked to see the SAME packet loss appearing in game. Ranging from 0.7 to 2% loss. So i did let my brother test the game (he's in a different city at the moment) and he's having the same problem... random packet loss with very stable latency. I'm really left with no options here: port forwarding, reinstalling, changing game settings, new routers, different machines...tried it all.

My most recent traceroute:

Traccia instradamento verso gls.lotro.com [198.252.160.30]
    su un massimo di 30 punti di passaggio:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms <--My router
    2 * * * Richiesta scaduta. <--ISP i believe
    3 14 ms 8 ms 8 ms 172.17.144.188
    4 10 ms 11 ms 11 ms 172.17.144.112
    5 24 ms 23 ms 23 ms 172.19.245.81
    6 21 ms 20 ms 22 ms etrunk40.milano1.mil.seabone.n et [195.22.192.186]
    7 111 ms 110 ms 110 ms ae10.newyork51.new.seabone.net [195.22.216.201]

8 115 ms 115 ms 115 ms nyc2-brdr-01.inet.qwest.net [63.146.27.1]
    9 112 ms 112 ms 112 ms ewr-cntr-12.inet.qwest.net [205.171.17.6]
    10 112 ms 112 ms 112 ms 206.103.215.54
    11 116 ms 116 ms 116 ms 63.236.3.130
    12 * * * Richiesta scaduta.
    13 117 ms 116 ms 116 ms 198.252.160.30
    14 116 ms 116 ms 116 ms 198.252.160.30

Traccia completata.

I'm wondering if anyone is having the same kind of loss as it seems to be caused by something here in Italy or by the Lotro servers nodes (i can play other online games perfectly fine with stable ping).

Is anyone able to help me with this please?
    Shazen - r14 Stalker

Do you have any P2P programmes running in the background?

On an older thread someone removed a cable from the splitter and it helped.

Also try to disable the proxy setting in the launcher and deinstalling Akamai NetSession Interface which is installed automatically with the client.

Something that may also be interesting for you:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...84#post4592084

Quote Originally Posted by Thormund View Post
    Do you have any P2P programmes running in the background?

On an older thread someone removed a cable from the splitter and it helped.

Also try to disable the proxy setting in the launcher and deinstalling Akamai NetSession Interface which is installed automatically with the client.

Something that may also be interesting for you:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...84#post4592084
    Doubt it's a P2P issue (since i got a new machine few days ago and downloaded and tested the game there once again with literally only windows installed, using the nice Hurin's guide just to be sure). Already unistalled Akamai and tried the 'no proxy' option on the Launcher without success.

The Issue is easy to reproduce. As i transition between zones 'borders' packet loss starts appearing (no disconnection), as long as i stay in the area the loss doesn't drop down. As i leave the area, it slowly disappears.

I don't think the issue is on my end at this point i don't know, it could be something related to the UDP packets being filtered.
    Last edited by Fulgurix; Dec 06 2017 at 03:31 PM.
    Shazen - r14 Stalker

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgurix View Post
    Doubt it's a P2P issue (since i got a new machine few days ago and downloaded and tested the game there once again with literally only windows installed, using the nice Hurin's guide just to be sure). Already unistalled Akamai and tried the 'no proxy' option on the Launcher without success.

The Issue is easy to reproduce. As i transition between zones 'borders' packet loss starts appearing (no disconnection), as long as i stay in the area the loss doesn't drop down. As i leave the area, it slowly disappears.

I don't think the issue is on my end at this point i don't know, it could be something related to the UDP packets being filtered.
    Very odd, I am running into this exact same issue. Its just a small area of Erud Luid that I just can't really go in. It just rubberbands back, but the rest of the zone is perfect.