We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Question Store in External Browser: The operation is insecure

Hi all,

I am one of those users who falls in the category of running LOTRO on Linux in Wine. Since I have to launch the LOTRO store in an external browser to do this, I was wondering if others out there in a similar situation (running Linux, Windows XP, or Windows Vista) could confirm if you are seeing the following in your browser when you launch the store:

Something is going wrong
    The operation is insecure.

There is a "Contact Us" button just below this message, and I can see my current Lotro Points at the very top of the page. Maybe the site certificate expired? I tried also changing my default browser from Firefox to Chromium, but still have the same issue. I have noticed this issue since this weekend. I did submit a bug report, but I don't know if it's being looked at, or if it even affects anyone else.

If anyone else launching the store in an external browser is having the same issue, I'd be interested to know to see if there is anything I can fix on my end.

Thanks!

Exclamation

There seems to be alot of issues with the store suddenly after the latest hotfixes. People having money drawn from their bank accounts but no items delivered in-game and such. Some getting double transactions then one is canceelled. Read some of the other threads in here and You'll see. I donät think all of them are using XP, Vista or Linux either so not sure it's related to that at all. Hopefully the devs will see these threads and adress these issues really quick. It is not good when a store is not working as intended.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Exclamation

I just tried on our Vista 32-bit PC here. It works just fine. No insecure operation message in Google Chrome. However know that on XP and Vista we get no new versions of Chrome. Vista and XP haven't gotten any chrome updates for a long time already. There is now even a problem to update Flash. It looks like You get the update but then when check plug-ins in the old Chrome used it is still an old Flash Plug-in version, not the version You just tried to install. It's a circle of getting the same Flash update message again and same procedure but just doesn't work. Resulting in me deactivting automatic Flash Update messages on our old Vista PC. Maybe on Linux You still get newer versions of Chrome but then still have to open LoTRO store in extrernal browser and maybe that is the conflict ??? Maybe newer Chrome wanting You to open in an in-game window and seeing external browser opening like this as an attempt at intrusion/hacking, thus blocking it as insecure ???
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Nov 03 2017 at 09:15 PM.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." /Edward Snowden
    Never The Spy-Tool Windows 10 Who needs DirectX 12 anyway ??? Vulkan is better. :)

Echoweaver is offline Meddler in the Affairs of Wizards
    I haven't been able to access the Store in Chrome on Mac for several days.

I get the error: "Something is going wrong
    Failed to read the 'localStorage' property from 'Window': Access is denied for this document."

I'm just doing a read through the forums to see if this a known thing before bugging support.

Solved it!

Thank you all for your responses. You've helped me narrow down whether the issue was on my end or the Store's end.

I finally figured it out! I needed to turn off private browsing mode and enable third party cookies. Then the store finally worked. This seems to be a recent change on the Store's end, but it's easily solved on the user's end. Whew!

I hope this information helps anyone else who might run into a similar error.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullets View Post
    Thank you all for your responses. You've helped me narrow down whether the issue was on my end or the Store's end.

I finally figured it out! I needed to turn off private browsing mode and enable third party cookies. Then the store finally worked. This seems to be a recent change on the Store's end, but it's easily solved on the user's end. Whew!

I hope this information helps anyone else who might run into a similar error.
    Awesome that You solved it !!!

Let's just hope Echoweaver can find a solution to his/her problem as well.