We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Help me prepare my Captain for Mordor

OK, so my Captain walked into Mordor.. Survivability mostly isn't a problem as long as there are only 2-3 mobs at a time, but fights take a looooooong time, and areas With lots of mobs in a small area are a PITA.

Relevant specs:
    Currently Level 108. Man. 77 skill Points. Yellow tree filled. Rest put into blue (two upper lines). Armour and Jewelry is quest rewards from Udun quests and initial Black Book quests (lvl 106-107, green With some purple), plus some remaining Ithilien Jewelry (lvl 105) and a Gold Mathom Hunter helm (lvl 106). And the Teal cloak from the final Epic quest (lvl 105). Mostly teal Ithilien Might essences. !A Halberd, 1A Captain's symbol, 3A Heavy bridle.

59246 Morale, 8624 Power, 30035 Armour, 7117 Might, 227 Agility, 7159 Vitality, 243 Will, 1525 Fate. 16903 Crit Rating, 77835 phys. mastery, 58101 Tact. Mastery. 40 Light of Earendil. 23423 Block, 21315 Parry, 10517 Evade.

Race traits: Upper-Cut, Balance of Man, Return to Bree, Strength of Morale, Tactics and Might.

Virtues: Honour (16), Charity (16), Loyalty (17), Fidelity (17), Patience (10).

Quote Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
    OK, so my Captain walked into Mordor.. Survivability mostly isn't a problem as long as there are only 2-3 mobs at a time, but fights take a looooooong time, and areas With lots of mobs in a small area are a PITA.
    Relevant error:
    Yellow tree filled. Rest put into blue (two upper lines).
    Read the Post below yours, think that would solve your problem too.

So keep full yellow, but spec into red instead of blue?

Yellow is for Tanking.
    Red is for Killing.
    Blue is for Healing.

You can combine 2 well.

I pick Red to bring the Enemy down and Blue to heal me meanwhile.

If you want to stay in Yellow then the Noble Mark will you heal by hits (count not strenght) and the Red tree increase the damage output.
    That is the easy way, but also the slow way.

If you want to try my way, then you set the Blue Mark and get healing by doing damage.
    Here you can often not go in the kitchen, while you are fighting enemies :-)

Sure, respeccing into full red With the rest into blue makes one-on-one fights a breeze, but now it becomes impossible to stay alive as soon as a second and Third mob throw themselves into the fight (and given how stupidly overcrowded With enemies the tiny areas in this game are, and the fact that they aggro you from half a map away, they WILL throw themselves into the figtht, anyone claiming otherwise is simply a troll)... Losing Last Stand and Shield of the Dunedain REALLY hurts

You didn't mention your finesse level. Throwing in a few finesse essences might help you hit more often.

Sure, respeccing into full red With the rest into blue makes one-on-one fights a breeze, but now it becomes impossible to stay alive as soon as a second and Third mob throw themselves into the fight (and given how stupidly overcrowded With enemies the tiny areas in this game are, and the fact that they aggro you from half a map away, they WILL throw themselves into the figtht, anyone claiming otherwise is simply a troll)... Losing Last Stand and Shield of the Dunedain REALLY hurts
    The Captain has some emergency Skills.
    Fighting Withdrawl is an Alternative.
    But it looks like you have to use a lot of that skills, if you need SoD and Last Stand to play in Questareas.

As i play Yellow nearly only inside Instances or Raid, i have not the Option to use them. If it get worst, i use Fighting Withdrawl, and if i see no Chance i can also use the Make Hast to get distance as long the Camp stops follow me.

A Friend of mine said in ToO Days, that he feels that i am also a former Champion player.
    Thats true (i said pssst my Captain does not know it, that he is not a Champion).

1st Rule: Dead Enemies do not damage me.
    2nd Rule: If i have to swing my Weapon, all Enemies are allowed to participate.
    3rd Rule: Let them Bleed.

I do not look for one on one.
    I have my buffs.
    Then i have Banner, Pressing Attack (more enemies for a better Critchance => defeatevents) and my Bleeds that i am able to spread (Cutting attack - followes by Grave Wound).
    I chose the Fighting Location. Healmark on my Maintarget and the rest get Bleeds and hits.
    Atm i would not pull the whole Camp, but 3 should work.

What you do in Yellow?
    You get healed for hiting an Enemy - that is the function of the Noblemark. You get healed by a % of your maximal Moral.
    You are full of moral and get more healed as they do damage.
    The enemies will sometimes die on age, not on wounds.
    Think you cant die, but on the other side is quite ok to kill on one gameday 10-12 enemies :-)

Whats happen with SoD?
    You get some seconds, in that you do not fall, but what change does it in a fight, where no damage from your side is done?
    You get full healed back to an autoattack fight?

Soloing Mordor with Yellow spec is doable, BUT:

• Most of the trait points in Yellow are either useless or unnecessary for soloing, so don't fill out the whole tree
    • The entire rest of your build (gear, LI legacies, unspent trait points) needs to be damage-oriented

When I decided to make a Yellow build for soloing the tougher parts of Mordor, I really only took a handful of traits in the Yellow tree. Mostly I was there for the "freebie" traits in the lefthand column that give you defeat events and self-healing. The rest of my trait points went into Red traits to shore up my damage.

The end result is only a little bit slower than my Red line build but it can handle the wandering adds in dense enemy camps a lot more safely.

Oh, and to add some extra advice: Finesse essences are a really good investment.
    Cainwen Ciaphas, Captain of Crickhollow, HERO OF MIDDLE EARTH!!!
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My opinions are my own!

I took a pure Red Tree Cappy through Mordor because, apparently, I'm a glutton for punishment. Without question, it is the hardest to level through there. I've taken all through. The main problem is that the mobs have higher mits and defenses. You, on the other hand have less effective critical rating as you level (% dips significantly with each level up). Your 6% damage buffs on each skill depend on critical hits, which become fewer and fewer until you are able to acquire some effective gear and dictate your stats a little better (level 112 is really your first opportunity too do this).

Secondly, Rallying Cry, the main self-heal in Red Tree is pretty much geared toward a level 85 Cappy. So you can't depend on it as a safety net. It just doesn't provide enough morale heals once you have increased your overall morale with the ongoing gear drops. Yes, you can get better results using a bit of yellow or blue...but I did this pure red tree to see if I could. War Leaders in the Talath Urui camp will, for example, take a 5k chunk out of you with a single hit, which pretty much negates anything Rallying Cry provides.

So, basically, it comes down to picking your fights intelligently. Never more than three at a time. When you do fight three at a time, always position yourself so that all three are in front of you, and none are behind you. Positioning with a Red Cappy is very, very important. You aren't using a shield (180%) front defense. But, it seems that this still applies to your defenses for some reason. Always, initiate the fight with the ranged mob first (common sense). Send in your soldier to start the fight so you can take your time in taking the most advantageous position. Use the most effective dps routine you can, because without good self heals you are, basically, in a race to kill all of them before they can kill you.

The latest livestream suggested that the systems teams have been given class balance as their #1 priority. I assume that Red Tree Cappy will be one of their most encompassing projects. It really should be.