We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

elves, music, and war: a question

Greetings!

I very clearly seem to recall reading at some point about a major battle (I *think* it was during the First Age...not 100% sure) in which some of the elves ("high elves" I believe) actually went into battle playing music; maybe it was harps, maybe flutes...the details are fuzzy.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? Is it from the Silmarillion? Histories of Middle Earth? Somewhere else?

I've been trying to dig up the reference but can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")

I think you are likely referring to the House of the Fountain, one of the twelve houses of Gondolin.

"Now marched these folk to a great playing of their flutes, and the crystal and silver of their array was most lovely to see amid the red light of the fires and the blackness of the ruins."
    - The Book of Lost Tales Part Two, The Fall of Gondolin

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/House_of_the_Fountain

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeneth View Post
    I think you are likely referring to the House of the Fountain, one of the twelve houses of Gondolin.

"Now marched these folk to a great playing of their flutes, and the crystal and silver of their array was most lovely to see amid the red light of the fires and the blackness of the ruins."
    - The Book of Lost Tales Part Two, The Fall of Gondolin

http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/House_of_the_Fountain
    Yes! Thank you very much. Been driving me crazy.
    Á auta mornië! i cala tula lennar! ("Flee, darkness! The light comes upon you!")

Interesting post cheers
    Need get my hands on History of Middle-Earth asap o7
    Rucagorn, The White Guardian - Portugal
    fellowshipguardians.guildlaunch.com/