We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Taverns, Mumaks and Elephants

I have always wondered why there is a tavern in Minas Tirith that goes by the name The Mumak and Keep. If you look at this name, you cannot help but find it too unusual to think it up in passing, just so. Could there be a counterpart, a model, in the real world?

Today I found something in the 'Did you know' section of the German Wikipedia, that looked all to familiar. A tavern sign with an elephant that is carrying a castle on its back, and the tavern name was Elephant & Castle.

It turned out that this tavern had been the home of a notorious criminal gang that ravaged London at least for half a century. This gang had spawned another one which consisted entirely of women (mostly their relatives and spouses) and was dubbed the Fourty Elephants or Fourty Thieves. Both cooperated to improve the acquisition of their 'income'. The last leader of the women's gang actually died in the year 1992.

Looks like the soldiers set up their place in a really seedy tavern. I wonder if they were aware, whom they were sharing it with...

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

I often wondered about the name of that tavern too.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

By Original uploader was Sue Wallace at en.wikipedia - Transferred from en.wikipedia, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9431552

Quote Originally Posted by Altair6 View Post

By Original uploader was Sue Wallace at en.wikipedia - Transferred from en.wikipedia, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=9431552
    You can find anything on the internet!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check