We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
    Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack

Blue Line + Upshot

Since none of the trait planners online are up to date and SSG refuses to build an in game trait planner I was hoping some kind hunter could post a build showing how they recommend running blue line and getting upshot.

Would greatly appreciate a screenshot, thank you!
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

Why would they build an "in game" trait tree planner? There is one already, press J....

That aside, if you can't count, this planner has 88 points, just add 1 in your head and you're good to go.

https://lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/l.php

Can't give you a blue trait tree with Upshot as I don't have a blue build that I use at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    Why would they build an "in game" trait tree planner? There is one already, press J....
    because you want to try different builds and maybe you arnt arnt able to log on
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethrildar View Post
    That aside, if you can't count, this planner has 88 points, just add 1 in your head and you're good to go.
    https://lotrottp.lotrostatus.com/l.php
    That trait tree is badly outdated, several traits have switched lines or move to different positions in their same line.

This is a Blue build i use. It might not be optimal but i do get very close to redline dps with it.

BLUE

Strong draw 6
    Quick shot focus 5
    Press onward 1
    Perseverance 4
    Blood Arrow 2
    Exanguinate 3
    Volley 4
    Precision 2

RED

Critical Eye 5
    True Shot 5
    Heart Seeker 2
    Draw Weight 5
    Swift and True 5
    In for the kill 1
    Quick Draw 4
    Burn Hot 2
    Deadly Precision 1
    Upshot 1

Practice on the dummy and find a good rotation, will help dps a lot.

5. Jul 31 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Faded_Arkenstone View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be terrible at redline, because you say that a blueline build that has ZERO Bodkin Arrow traited is "very close to redline dps". Give a DPS parse from Combat Analysis instead because many people are ignorant and numbers can speak for themselves.
    So what you are saying is i suck lol? you got all that from that post? or are you just being a Troll? I guess you are, being a newbie lol. Good luck with that.

Yes i am down Bodkin arrows, i also don't have Fast draw from red line. I could drop Draw weight etc to get them i don't know, im not a min mixer and don't really care. But red line does not have Barrage either.

It looks like you have no clue about blue line and are probably just a mediocre red line dps.

A blue should be 10-15% at the most behind red really.
    Last edited by Happychappy; Aug 01 2018 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Happychappy View Post
    So what you are saying is i suck lol? you got all that from that post? or are you just being a Troll? I guess you are, being a newbie lol. Good luck with that.

Yes i am down Bodkin arrows, i also don't have Fast draw from red line. I could drop Draw weight etc to get them i don't know, im not a min mixer and don't really care. But red line does not have Barrage either.

It looks like you have no clue about blue line and are probably just a mediocre red line dps.

A blue should be 10-15% at the most behind red really.
    Althought I might not be the best example since I was a mediocre hunter at blue line and a good one at red line (since class trait trees were implemented, before you used a mix of traits), but dps in red line is drastically greater than in blue line. Basically because of the last set bonus of the trait line and the smaller difference in focus generation in blue line since the changes. In red line you got upshot each 10 secs max, HS each 30s max, greater crit magnitude and greater damage overall. If you add 10% mit penetration from bodkin arrows you got a huge difference compared to blue line, not taking into account the ability to use merciful shot with 3-4 focus cost instead of 6 and with enemy on 70% morale instead of 50%. Barrage 3 is not really that great compared to upshot, and you can use 2 upshots in the time you recover barrage 3.

8. Aug 01 2018, 09:04 AM

1) If you truly had Bodkin Arows, you would have listed it in your traits. But you don't because the traits that you listed add up to 89 points. So tell me how many Bodkin Arrows you have traited? I'll say it, ZERO. Because you have no points left to spend.

Blue+2*Red = Points spent
    (6+5+1+4+2+3+4+2)+(2)*(5+5+2+5 +5+1+4+2+1+1) = 89

2) Instead of looking the flaws in your own statements, you took the route of ignorance and assumed that I was a newbie because I don't have many forum posts. Then proceeded to demonstrate how little you know about hunter.

3) Theoretically blue should be 10-15% behind red with the right setup, but since I have already proven that you don't have Bodkin Arrows at all, your DPS will be closer to 50% behind redline.
    You need a lesson in reading numpty. Go and argue elsewhere.

What a loser :P
    Last edited by Happychappy; Aug 01 2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kander View Post
    Althought I might not be the best example since I was a mediocre hunter at blue line and a good one at red line (since class trait trees were implemented, before you used a mix of traits), but dps in red line is drastically greater than in blue line. Basically because of the last set bonus of the trait line and the smaller difference in focus generation in blue line since the changes. In red line you got upshot each 10 secs max, HS each 30s max, greater crit magnitude and greater damage overall. If you add 10% mit penetration from bodkin arrows you got a huge difference compared to blue line, not taking into account the ability to use merciful shot with 3-4 focus cost instead of 6 and with enemy on 70% morale instead of 50%. Barrage 3 is not really that great compared to upshot, and you can use 2 upshots in the time you recover barrage 3.
    Yes bodkin may be far better than other traits i picked but i did say my build was not optimal and i did say that bodkin may well be a better trait to get, never done any significant testing. I was just giving an example of how Upshot can be gained in Blue line for the person who asked. If you all want to tear it apart and analyse it to death, go ahead , makes no difference to me i use red line anyway

What i would say is for one of you guys to come up with a good Blue build for the person asking then, instead of trying to drag someone else down who stuck their neck out trying to help perhaps show your rotations, gear and dps parses also, so it can be analysed and scrutinized.

Ps. Ok i do have a better blue build now that does include Bodkin but i do seem to remember an old post about bodkin and its effects in raids, thats why i left it out in blue. I am getting around 60-65k dps on snowbourn dummy over a 4 minute parse in blue and no im not the best hunter but im also not totally terrible :P
    Last edited by Happychappy; Aug 01 2018 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mkcraft27 View Post
    ...I see... How, then, does an in game trait tree planner assist those players that want to try different builds but "arnt" able to log on?

That trait tree is badly outdated, several traits have switched lines or move to different positions in their same line.
    You're not wrong here, I hadn't considered the latest round of changes, I don't know how out of date these third party tools are, but it's fairly easy to just log into the game and create one, or at least plan one out assuming basic subtraction isn't too challenging.

I am looking to learn what a blue tree rotation with upshot looks like. My attempts so far leave me plinking quickshot because I'm out of focus or on the barrage supercooldown. There must be something I'm missing.

I'd also like to see how someone gets a blue tree to be only 10-15% behind red, whether that uses upshot or not. It seems to me that red has multiple advantages and blue has multiple handicaps that make the difference much more than that.

If someone has found a better way to use the blue tree, I'd love to see it.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval michaleo.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    I am looking to learn what a blue tree rotation with upshot looks like. My attempts so far leave me plinking quickshot because I'm out of focus or on the barrage supercooldown. There must be something I'm missing.

I'd also like to see how someone gets a blue tree to be only 10-15% behind red, whether that uses upshot or not. It seems to me that red has multiple advantages and blue has multiple handicaps that make the difference much more than that.

If someone has found a better way to use the blue tree, I'd love to see it.
    Yes red does seem to have most of the perks. Its a shame rapid fire wasn't better than it currently is. It worked fine with Barrage spam but now what should you spam? Pen shot lol.

Ive not had issues with focus in red (doesn't even have the Precision trait) or blue really. Yes you may have to use QS a few times here and there buts thats about it and QS can decrease induction time or make Swift bow inductionless plus gives focus.

Biggest increase i got was just doing a decent rotation but i am still learning. Just try different rotations on the Dummy. I won't be showing my rotations sorry not worth the aggro from some forum users lol.

Just play the game, enjoy it and not give a #### about a few % imo lol. Not gonna start worrying about all that after 11 years :P

Quote Originally Posted by Happychappy View Post
    .... I won't be showing my rotations sorry not worth the aggro from some forum users lol.
    Any potential critics have thus far been unwilling to enlighten us with their blue rotations. I've posted about my bi-modal approach to barrage and my bleed-focused blue rotation and would be happy to see better ideas, including the alleged interesting blue rotation and how to achieve the claimed DPS anywhere close to red. Like Bigfoot, I can't prove they don't exist, but I'd like to have some evidence if they do.

As often happens in forum threads, the OP's topic of how upshot contributes to a blue tree rotation got lost. It's something I would still like to see.
    Michaleo / Nodread / Wrytune / Truroar / Varmentor Toolmaker
    Landroval michaleo.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michaleo View Post
    As often happens in forum threads, the OP's topic of how upshot contributes to a blue tree rotation got lost. It's something I would still like to see.
    lol yes, I do appreciate the inputs thus far but a lot of back and forth arguing got in the way and I still feel like I there's no real answer.

I've heard here and there from legit hunters that blue line + upshot can yield as much DPS as red line, I would love to learn how because I personally can't stand red line. The latest update really killed my enjoyment in the hunter class, so I'm trying to make blue work without adjusting to the red playstyle (which is just too boring for me personally).
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar

Yes this. The online trait planners are wrong, they're outdated and not relevant, so that's not helpful.

Pressing J is not a good solution either, you have to spend gold every time you want to test something out, not to mention it removes and re-adds all your hotbar items each time.

Yeah, bringing this back on point: a screenshot showing a good blue build with upshot and a rotation would be great.

Or honestly, even just a solid blue build. I just hit 108 last night in Mordor, and I'm getting along fine 1v1 with stuff (if more than 1 mob, I have to do a lot more planning), but I'd love some blue-line guidance.

I feel there's lots of active raiding hunters that know their #### on the boards, throw us plebes a bone and toss us a build to suck a little less ;-)

18. Aug 03 2018, 02:16 PM

Blue is fine for landscape and small man etc but in raids then you should be using red line really, it is the highest dps. Although blue is not as far behind as some may think.

Here's your bone, there are no solid blue lines. Learn to play redline like the non-plebs. That's probably the best advice anyone can give you, if you were able to truly comprehend the usefulness of it.
    I was redline a while back. Then the meta switched to blue, so I made new LIs and switched over. As someone who just does landscape and pug group content, redoing LIs is pretty intensive. Plus running around in blue is fun, hence at least my hesitation to switch back to red, yet again.

That said, I'm not 100% opposed to going back to redline, but even then - an up-to-date guide on building redline would be useful. Traits, LIs, rotation pointers.

I found one here, but not sure how up-to-date it is: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...09#post7837909 . Plus the guy is saying he was at 40k dps, which seems low from what people say. I'm not sure what kind of DPS people are expecting, and what type of gear correlates to given numbers.

I found a few others:

Traits: https://gyazo.com/8079941614ac62b12aaaf21fe90ed8d0
    Bows: https://gyazo.com/20abe18daed401aacbeec58b67be347a

Different set of traits: https://i.imgur.com/sUaekx5.jpg

Maybe someone has some opinions on them, or they can help others.

Quote Originally Posted by Brumans View Post
    I was redline a while back. Then the meta switched to blue, so I made new LIs and switched over. As someone who just does landscape and pug group content, redoing LIs is pretty intensive. Plus running around in blue is fun, hence at least my hesitation to switch back to red, yet again.

That said, I'm not 100% opposed to going back to redline, but even then - an up-to-date guide on building redline would be useful. Traits, LIs, rotation pointers.

I found one here, but not sure how up-to-date it is: https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...09#post7837909 . Plus the guy is saying he was at 40k dps, which seems low from what people say. I'm not sure what kind of DPS people are expecting, and what type of gear correlates to given numbers.

I found a few others:

Traits: https://gyazo.com/8079941614ac62b12aaaf21fe90ed8d0
    Bows: https://gyazo.com/20abe18daed401aacbeec58b67be347a

Different set of traits: https://i.imgur.com/sUaekx5.jpg

Maybe someone has some opinions on them, or they can help others.
    I would say 80k in red line on a DA dummy and 70k blue line on a dummy should be what you aim for at least. Some probably get higher but not sure, i can do 80k in blue line with current gear..
    Last edited by Happychappy; Aug 04 2018 at 08:23 PM.