We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Server Lag

Server Lag

Lately the creeps are not beaten by the freeps but by the general lag on the server. We even have to look for locations on the ettenmoors map that are less hit by lag. And with lag I mean freezing, triggered actions with more then 5 seconds delay and so on. And of course freeps have the same issue.

What is going on ... how hard can it be to run servers on better platforms in the days of cloud servers like AWS?

Just for the record: 300 / 300 Mbps fiber, 8700k CPU with 16GB, M2 SSD and a 1060GTX. Even Star Citizen runs well on this and there we have dogfights or pvp with 50 peeps in once instance.

I'm not going to complain about the lack of love pvp got and gets from the developers and I do not really care about the fancy stuff freeps get and creeps don't but give us a fair chance by just running a lag-free server ... it is an 11 year oid game, how hard can it be.
    ~ ... Fluffer, Warg ... Nice to bite you ... ~

Quote Originally Posted by MurgenTemplar View Post
    Lately the creeps are not beaten by the freeps but by the general lag on the server. We even have to look for locations on the ettenmoors map that are less hit by lag. And with lag I mean freezing, triggered actions with more then 5 seconds delay and so on. And of course freeps have the same issue.

What is going on ... how hard can it be to run servers on better platforms in the days of cloud servers like AWS?

Just for the record: 300 / 300 Mbps fiber, 8700k CPU with 16GB, M2 SSD and a 1060GTX. Even Star Citizen runs well on this and there we have dogfights or pvp with 50 peeps in once instance.

I'm not going to complain about the lack of love pvp got and gets from the developers and I do not really care about the fancy stuff freeps get and creeps don't but give us a fair chance by just running a lag-free server ... it is an 11 year oid game, how hard can it be.
    Its not just the Moors, I have been experiencing it in normal play since the server restart 2 weeks ago, the update last week didnt change matters. (Evernight); NPCs are also sometimes taking 5+ seconds to respond as well.

I haven't seen lag problems on Gladden in the last two weeks, in PVE. Haven't been to the moors.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroniel View Post
    I haven't seen lag problems on Gladden in the last two weeks, in PVE. Haven't been to the moors.
    At times, the fighting on Everdim seems very polite; I will make a strike, wait, the mob will make a strike, wait, I will take a strike.......

This isnt just happening once or twice per day, but 4-5 times per hour. I log in and out 2-5 times throughout the day, depending on what else I am doing; so it isnt a case of high server load either - I have only seen the "Reduced Awareness" warning once, a few days ago, in the Brownlands/Great River.

It started after the restart 2 weeks ago, and hasnt gotten any better since - although to be completely fair, it hasnt gotten any worse either (faint praise).

Yeah I have immense lag issues too... actually every since I play this game. I was going to etten after a long long time and even to put all graphic settings down didn't help. When lots of freeps meet lots of creeps it's like freezing screen, skills have huge delay and it feels more that I am porting than moving. Sometimes the game even crashes.

I played this game 2008-2010 and when I remember back this time this lag issues existed during this time already. Now I came back after long break and well.. it seems it even got worse :/ I started to love this game again, but this server issues are really bad, especially when you compare it to performance of ESO or GW2 servers.

Probably the lotro engine is too old?

Quote Originally Posted by beacor View Post
    Yeah I have immense lag issues too... actually every since I play this game. I was going to etten after a long long time and even to put all graphic settings down didn't help. When lots of freeps meet lots of creeps it's like freezing screen, skills have huge delay and it feels more that I am porting than moving. Sometimes the game even crashes.

I played this game 2008-2010 and when I remember back this time this lag issues existed during this time already. Now I came back after long break and well.. it seems it even got worse :/ I started to love this game again, but this server issues are really bad, especially when you compare it to performance of ESO or GW2 servers.

Probably the lotro engine is too old?
    The engine isnt up to the Moors, but the underlying problem is that they switched from the server farm used when you used to play to a real budget outfit; and the current hardware just cannot respond fast enough under even moderate loads; the only times the game runs (mostly) smoothly for me is when I play outside peak times for both US and EU players; ie mid morning when the US is asleep and most EU players are at work.

My actual pings remain in the 84-95mS range at home; 150-160mS at work, so I know it isnt my connection.