We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Physical Mastery as Tank and best gambits

Hey guys,

I am playing warden quite a while already, but always as dps before. I don't have that much experience as tank so there are some question which came up for me.
    How important is the damage for aggro for a warden? Is the damage negligible because my gambits will already generate enough aggro (vs. a good dps player).
    Right now my physical mastery is really low, I think something around 70-80%. But I only run 3 man instances on t2 now, so there ways only one dps player I ever had to compete about aggro, and ofc the healer^^

Sometimes I have problem to get aggo when there is a larg group of adds spawning, like in silence street the first boss. I need to use force taunt to get all of them.

What are the best gambits to generate the most aggro very fast. I read presice strike is the single target and war cry for aoe quite good gambits to get a lot of aggro. Is that still right? Should I still increase my physical mastery so I can generate more aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by Naythrim View Post
    Hey guys,

I am playing warden quite a while already, but always as dps before. I don't have that much experience as tank so there are some question which came up for me.
    How important is the damage for aggro for a warden? Is the damage negligible because my gambits will already generate enough aggro (vs. a good dps player).
    Right now my physical mastery is really low, I think something around 70-80%. But I only run 3 man instances on t2 now, so there ways only one dps player I ever had to compete about aggro, and ofc the healer^^

Sometimes I have problem to get aggo when there is a larg group of adds spawning, like in silence street the first boss. I need to use force taunt to get all of them.

What are the best gambits to generate the most aggro very fast. I read presice strike is the single target and war cry for aoe quite good gambits to get a lot of aggro. Is that still right? Should I still increase my physical mastery so I can generate more aggro?
    If you're struggling to produce enough damage to hold aggro, focus on adding crit and/or finesse before worrying about mastery.

If you're reading a guide calling War-Cry and Precise Blow your go-to aggro skills, you're reading a Guide from SoM or MoM, so they are roughly 7 years out of date. The class has gone through 4 different revamps in that time, so just ignore the guide.

As for gambits: your gambit to pull from long range on groups is resounding challenge. Your gambit to pull from medium range, and your best skill when there are more than 6 targets around is Brink of Victory. Your best skills for multiple mobs up to 6 in close range are Desolation and Brink of Victory. Your best single target aggro skills will depend on traiting, but its either Unerring or Spear of Virtue. Exultation of Battle and Resolution are OK to use, but it should be more for supplemental heals than as an aggro tool.

Thank you so much Spelunker, that helps me a lot! I was actually never using this distant gambit resounding challenge, to be honest I forgot to have this one :/ Today I will start to use it more often.

It's worth adding that skills like Conviction generate ridiculous amounts of threat as they leech a portion from all affected players nearby, so timing Conviction just as an add spawn occurs can be all you really need initially.