We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

What to do as guard on Caverns final boss?

Hi. I did this T1 and was just told to hide while ranged DPSed boss down and healer kept him alive... It wasn't clear what I was supposed to be doing as a guard tank. Can anyone post some strategies or tips. Looking to progress to T2 so need the tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    Hi. I did this T1 and was just told to hide while ranged DPSed boss down and healer kept him alive... It wasn't clear what I was supposed to be doing as a guard tank. Can anyone post some strategies or tips. Looking to progress to T2 so need the tactic.
    You'll have to go Red line, bleed, run , bleed run.

DoT is the only Friend on a Guard, when no Ranged.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhoris_they_spider View Post
    When I've done this with a Guard on t2 and t3, the Guard typically just Shieldwalled the Hunt*rd and hid in the back behind a stalagmite twiddling his thumbs, pondering the existential crisis this instance forced him to share with Chumps, C(r)appies, Bunglars, and so forth.

Also, when the pillars (or whatever you want to call them) activate where you have to destroy them, you don't have to be all the way up front; you can reach them from the back of the room if you hug the wall, that way you stay out of punt/fear range of the boss. Makes it easier so you aren't interrupted 3-4 times while trying to do the one thing you are capable of doing in the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMcStacky View Post
    When I've done this with a Guard on t2 and t3, the Guard typically just Shieldwalled the Hunt*rd and hid in the back behind a stalagmite twiddling his thumbs, pondering the existential crisis this instance forced him to share with Chumps, C(r)appies, Bunglars, and so forth.

Also, when the pillars (or whatever you want to call them) activate where you have to destroy them, you don't have to be all the way up front; you can reach them from the back of the room if you hug the wall, that way you stay out of punt/fear range of the boss. Makes it easier so you aren't interrupted 3-4 times while trying to do the one thing you are capable of doing in the fight.
    As it stands currently, Range is indeed "King" here. One does not need to worry about the "melee hits/swipes" from the last boss.

As a Burg, Champ, etc, it is indeed "more of a challenge" and in the end is it really worth the effort? Unless you have all the timers for the skills from the last boss, I feel its not. If someone does, then by all means share

In the end I question when this was being created, did one not see a "flaw" in the overall design/mechanic?

If you are with a group without ranged DPS: shieldwall the melee DPS, stay out of the harsh dot range (>30m away from boss) and let the healer spam his heals on you. If you are with a ranged DPS, let him do the bossfight, DPS with >30m range dont take damage as long as they dont get hit by stonefalls.

From roughly 50% on, stonefalls will happen roughly once per minute. evade those. I think, at 50% bossmorale and at 5 or 10%, the boss goes passive for 10-15 seconds and two fire elementals spawn. if you have CC in your group, let those who can CC these elementals and the third runs towards the big pillars to get them down. in this 10-15s time window, there is no danger of getting interrupted and you wont take any damage (as long as stonefall doesnt happen in this timewindow).
    Then, if with ranged DPS, let him go on killing the boss and fight the elementals while getting healed... that way you have something to do^^
    If with melee DPS, have him help with adds before going on the boss again with shieldwall.
    When boss goes inactive the second time, someone should run to destroy the second pillar (again, you have 10-15s until boss does anything again). 5-10sec after that is done, all adds despawn.
    If your DPS is weak or the healer bored, let the healer heal the stalagmites to buy more time. Good healers can even buy endless time.

If you want to, you can randomly taunt the boss and hide behind stalagmites afterwards, but actually, threat doesnt matter.
    Always stay nearby the stalagmites to keep the "guarded" buff (besides the times you have to run away because of falling stones).
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Taunt on etterfang and if the adds spawn tank them and kite.

7. Dec 13 2018, 09:03 PM

Both the rock drop (yellow circles) and Etterfangs one shot firebreath (T3) have close to 71 seconds interval. The interval between firebreath and rockdrops seems to differ.

Etterfang got two lines of dialog for the firebreath.
    The firebreath dialog lines differs from T2 to T3.
    For the rockdrops Etterfang got two dialog lines too ("you can not hide" and "show yourselves") These lines are the same for T2 and T3.
    When dialog appears in chat, you got around 2-5 seconds until you need to hide behind stalagmite (firebreath) or Run from rockdrops (yellow circles).

After you activate Etterfang he uses the firebreath very short time after he get active. The first rockdrop differs a bit, usually there are two firebreath before the rockdrop start, but the rockdrop can start after third firebreath too. Guess this is something related to the firebreath / rockdrop internal interval. Maybe the rockdrop start on a morale treshold, but i think it's more like a offset timer that have some kind of seed value so it doesn't start exactly the same time every fight. For sure the rockdrop in T3 doesn't start at 50% boss morale (he got 21M hp)

At 50%, maybe a little less, the first pillar get active (and boss inactive for a short time) and two wandering flame-wardens spawn. If you're doing T3 and healer struggle a bit to keep Stalagmite healed up (1.2M hp, and firebreath hits for around 600K without some kind of damage reduction), then weakening the pillar will remove the damage buff Etterfang has aquired during the fight.

This is where tank can do something in the fight tank the flames, and when the dps have weakened the pillar he kill those adds (while they move from rockdrops, and hide from Firebreath if they activate when adds).

Fight done with Guard/RK/Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Endoloose View Post
    Both the rock drop (yellow circles) and Etterfangs one shot firebreath (T3) have close to 71 seconds interval. The interval between firebreath and rockdrops seems to differ.

Etterfang got two lines of dialog for the firebreath.
    The firebreath dialog lines differs from T2 to T3.
    For the rockdrops Etterfang got two dialog lines too ("you can not hide" and "show yourselves") These lines are the same for T2 and T3.
    When dialog appears in chat, you got around 2-5 seconds until you need to hide behind stalagmite (firebreath) or Run from rockdrops (yellow circles).

After you activate Etterfang he uses the firebreath very short time after he get active. The first rockdrop differs a bit, usually there are two firebreath before the rockdrop start, but the rockdrop can start after third firebreath too. Guess this is something related to the firebreath / rockdrop internal interval. Maybe the rockdrop start on a morale treshold, but i think it's more like a offset timer that have some kind of seed value so it doesn't start exactly the same time every fight. For sure the rockdrop in T3 doesn't start at 50% boss morale (he got 21M hp)

At 50%, maybe a little less, the first pillar get active (and boss inactive for a short time) and two wandering flame-wardens spawn. If you're doing T3 and healer struggle a bit to keep Stalagmite healed up (1.2M hp, and firebreath hits for around 600K without some kind of damage reduction), then weakening the pillar will remove the damage buff Etterfang has aquired during the fight.

This is where tank can do something in the fight tank the flames, and when the dps have weakened the pillar he kill those adds (while they move from rockdrops, and hide from Firebreath if they activate when adds).

Here are the percentages when things happen, maybe this helps, too

85% rockdrops start
    (On T3 they're coming every 60 seconds +/- 10 seconds, because Etterfang sometimes talks and will interrupt herself with what she wanted to do)
    40% first pillar
    5% second pillar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarthien90 View Post
    Here are the percentages when things happen, maybe this helps, too

85% rockdrops start
    (On T3 they're coming every 60 seconds +/- 10 seconds, because Etterfang sometimes talks and will interrupt herself with what she wanted to do)
    40% first pillar
    5% second pillar
    I think, at least in T2, the rockdrops either dont start that early or it is a matter of time.
    Once when I did that fight in T2, the first rockdrop was at the same time when I ran to the first pillar.
    Diskutierer, Fragenbeantworter, Twinker, Händler, Handwerker und Gründer der 'Gemeinschaft der freien Völker' auf Belegaer.
    Deutsche Guides für nahezu alles, was Casuals interessieren könnte, gibts hier: http://gdfv.forumo.de/guides-f24/

Quote Originally Posted by Endoloose View Post

That is the thing, the range is needed for the DPS. If you are melee dps, the last boss just became T3 + "more challenge".

If your the burg, champ, etc, you need to get timers down, learn all the abilities, etc. to make things easier for the group.