We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Gandalf's Staff Fanart

Hi guys,

I did this fanart for my portfolio as a game artist - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lVVyoJ
    I would be great to have any feedback.

If anyone from LOTRO Devs want to use this for the game I'm giving it away all files includes - model and PBR textures.

Cheers
    Last edited by Neburd; Dec 01 2018 at 11:41 AM.

Well, it looks very nice, symbolic of Gandalf's identity as a Maia of fire.

But in the text (The Two Towers, chapter 6, "The King of the Golden Hall"), Hama the doorward has demanded that all the visitors lay their weapons aside, and they have done so (Aragorn, with great reluctance),

The guard still hesitated. 'Your staff,' he said to Gandalf. 'Forgive me, but that too must be left at the doors.'

'Foolishness!' said Gandalf. 'Prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another. I am old. If I may not lean on my stick as I go, then I will sit out here, until it pleases Theoden to hobble out himself to speak with me.'

Aragorn laughed. 'Every man has something too dear to trust to another. But would you part an old man from his support? Come, will you not let us enter?'

'The staff in the hand of a wizard may be more than a prop for age,' said Hama. He looked hard at the ash-staff on which Gandalf leaned. 'Yet in doubt a man will trust to his own wisdom. I believe you are friends and folk worthy of honour, who have no evil purpose. You may go in.'
    Note that Hama's last two sentences are lifted from the words of the guard of Heorot, who after looking over Beowulf and his warrior-companions, judges that they are friendly and lets them pass.

Note also that Gandalf's staff is of ash, a white wood to match his (temporarily concealed) white garb, and that everyone looking at it sees it as just a walking-stick for an old man to lean on. No swirly bits for magical energies to peep out of, no jewels, no ornamentation. Like the rest of Gandalf's gear, it conceals his true nature, making him look for all the world like an old Man.

Your artwork is beautiful; put it in your portfolio and display it. But it doesn't look like Gandalf's staff.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

Echoweaver is offline Meddler in the Affairs of Wizards
    It's gorgeous.
    Anor veteran on Landroval: Ardith and Wensleydale
    Learning to raid on Landroval https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

It's always interesting how each of us visualize aspects of this story differently. Even with the words quoted from Professor Tolkien, there is PLENTY of room for various opinions on the staff's appearance. The next time I'm reading his works, I'm sure your piece will be in the forefront of my mind.

Your work is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

That is a really fine looking staff! Lovely!
    ;) “There are hundreds of paths up the mountain, all leading to the same place, so it doesn’t matter which path you take. The only person wasting time is the one who runs around the mountain, telling everyone that his or her path is wrong.” ~ Hindu Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by djheydt View Post
    Well, it looks very nice, symbolic of Gandalf's identity as a Maia of fire.

But in the text (The Two Towers, chapter 6, "The King of the Golden Hall"), Hama the doorward has demanded that all the visitors lay their weapons aside, and they have done so (Aragorn, with great reluctance),

Note that Hama's last two sentences are lifted from the words of the guard of Heorot, who after looking over Beowulf and his warrior-companions, judges that they are friendly and lets them pass.

Note also that Gandalf's staff is of ash, a white wood to match his (temporarily concealed) white garb, and that everyone looking at it sees it as just a walking-stick for an old man to lean on. No swirly bits for magical energies to peep out of, no jewels, no ornamentation. Like the rest of Gandalf's gear, it conceals his true nature, making him look for all the world like an old Man.

Your artwork is beautiful; put it in your portfolio and display it. But it doesn't look like Gandalf's staff.
    That quote was after Gandalf became Gandalf the White. Maybe the OP was going for the staff of Gandalf the Grey. From a lore perspective was he using the same staff when he was Gandalf the Grey? Could it have been lost during his fight with the Balrog?

To quote another franchise... couldn't this just be a jedi mind trick? "This isn't the staff your looking for!"
    ----A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything----

?

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    It's gorgeous.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    It's always interesting how each of us visualize aspects of this story differently. Even with the words quoted from Professor Tolkien, there is PLENTY of room for various opinions on the staff's appearance. The next time I'm reading his works, I'm sure your piece will be in the forefront of my mind.

Your work is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you! that's such a privilege to contribute to someones vision (or visualization) of the Middle Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Silmelin View Post
    That is a really fine looking staff! Lovely!
    Thank you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by LabadalofDorlomin View Post
    To quote another franchise... couldn't this just be a jedi mind trick? "This isn't the staff your looking for!"
    Maybe this is a disguised light saber that fell from a spaceship coming from a galaxy far, far away into Arda and some clever wizard turned it into a staff.

With due respect that is just one interpretation of what the staff may look like. I think Neburd's artwork could very well be a fairly accurate portrayal, given that Gandalf could make the staff glow at will, he did after all use it to guide the Fellowship's way through Moria, as well as setting things on fire at different times. Obviously it wouldn't have been glowing while he was attempting to gain entrance to the Golden Hall, but also I believe being a wizard's staff, it would never look plain, whether he was trying to pass it of as a simple walking stick or not. I do agree though that it would probably be a little lighter in color, seeing as how it was made of ash wood.

Great work Neburd, given that none of us know how Tolkien actually intended the staff to look, I think that's not only a beautiful piece of artwork, it also may very well be fairly faithful likeness, for all we know.
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    - Will Rogers

amazing work. Might have to make that a desktop lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhelm View Post
    Great work Neburd, given that none of us know how Tolkien actually intended the staff to look, I think that's not only a beautiful piece of artwork, it also may very well be fairly faithful likeness, for all we know.
    Thank you Wolfhelm!

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    amazing work. Might have to make that a desktop lol
    Thanks kickman77! I would like to se it !