We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lightbulb Stone of the Tortoise revamp?

I have edited the text below because (as someone pointed out downthread) I was absolutely wrong about the entire concept I was going on about. So, I have left the text as-is, but made it almost impossible to read so that you will have to go out of your way to find what an idiot I am.

I have been playing on the Legendary servers and am enjoying it quite a bit.
    The -40% experience gain is appreciated, but it's not quite slow enough for me and my kinmates.

We are playing as "naked adventurers" and are trying to do this in phases where we get to a certain level and then together we do the Epic quests until they turn red and then we go back to solo play or duo or whatever.
    We are not doing them together because they are hard and we need the help, but because it's more fun and immersive in a group.

So consequently, because some folks have more time to play than others, we end up unbalanced and some folks need to wait while others catch up (catch up in levels).
    We have the Stone of the Tortoise available if we want to slow down the leveling even more than the -40%, but that still is not slow enough.

You may be wondering..."How is gaining no experience not slow enough?".

Well, it's not "gaining no experience" because you still gain experience from crafting. And believe me, naked adventurers still need crafted stuff even if we are not making gear to wear. There is consumables, weapons, dyes, tools, etc. so we need to be crafting.

So, I have an idea
    Include crafting in the activities that are excluded from experience gain while wearing the Stone. The Stone is the only piece of gear allowed in our kin because it does nothing to add buffs or protection. Right now the Stone stops experience gain on only mob-killing and quest-completion, not crafting. And believe me, you can spend an hour or so crafting and find yourself getting dazzled by the "whoosh-tree" of leveling even when you are just standing around peeling onions.

Maybe that won't work because some folks still want to level while crafting, or maybe there is some technical reason for leaving crafting out of the non-leveling activities.

In that case we could have another appliance for limiting crafting experience: Special tools.

Tools Of The Absent-minded Yeoman
    Tools Of The Forgetful Historian
    Tools Of The Slow-learning Explorer
    Etc...
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Dec 04 2018 at 12:32 AM. Reason: changed a "t" to a "y"

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

As far as I remember crafting XP is disabled on the tortoise stone as I used it to keep my first High elf on level for each area, yet managed to get him guilded before he was level 40ish. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember it that way

Well at upper Levels the amount of XP gained from Crafting is minute, but at lower Levels it can be tremendous. Last week I leveled up a Level 11 Doomfold Jeweler to Ironfold and by the time I completed it the Character was Level 16. That was about two minutes worth of work with two Rapid Crafting Boosts and a Craft XP Boost.

They introduced XP from Crafting with Helms Deep in addition to the Stone. Perhaps the Developer who designed the Stone wasn't in the loop about other changes being made (granting XP from Crafting). That the Stone hasn't been 'corrected' to this date can only mean that it is not important enough for them to bother with in the absence of a definitive statement that this is the way they want it.
    It is logical, in view of the times in which we live. But to be logical is not to be right, and nothing on God's earth could ever make it right!
    - Judge Dan Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by kickman77 View Post
    As far as I remember crafting XP is disabled on the tortoise stone as I used it to keep my first High elf on level for each area, yet managed to get him guilded before he was level 40ish. I may be wrong, but I seem to remember it that way
    I just checked it out.

You are exactly right.

I will now do my best Emily Litella impression and say: Never mind.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...-reply/3506031

I will also go edit the op to make sure everyone knows I'm an idiot....grin...
    Last edited by Boraxxe; Dec 04 2018 at 12:33 AM.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Boraxxe View Post
    I just checked it out.

You are exactly right.

I will now do my best Emily Litella impression and say: Never mind.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...-reply/3506031

I will also go edit the op to make sure everyone knows I'm an idiot....grin...
    No problem, glad you got it sorted out. Its one of the reasons I love the stone as I hate crafting XP, just havent had a toon that needed to craft whilst leveling in a bit. I have so many alts, when I roll a new one I usually get all his crafting done before I even leave the starter zone

I don't like crafting XP much, so i buy a stone only wish the stone was Bound to account.... since its not I would just want an option to turn off crafting XP completely.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server