We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

More Questlines Like Bingo Boffin

Something I like to do in MMOs is divide up as much content as I can among my main alts, but I hadn't really picked up the habit in LOTRO until the Legendary Servers opened up and I got a fresh start on Ithil. On Ithil I'm trying to do and read just about every quest in the game in order, or at least as "in order" as I can manage, but instead of doing it all on one character I have ten "mains" that each get a slice of the cake. It's usually a very uneven divide with only one or two main mains getting almost all of the content, but that's why I'm making the thread.

The way I view Bingo Boffin is sort of as an alternative to the epic story, so while my Champion gets to read all the actual epics, landscape quests, and generally "main" content, my Beorning gets to read Bingo Boffin. Since there's not much of an overlap between the two (excluding the extra landscape content I occasionally have to do but don't have to read in order to keep up with Bingo), they feel like separate stories set parallel to one another in a single (mostly) cohesive universe, as opposed to two characters following the same story in two separate universes.

SKIP TO HERE IF YOU JUST WANT THE POINT WITHOUT THE REASON:

No idea if that's a popular way to play the game or not, but I think Bingo Boffin as a questline is generally well-liked by players. The point is it serves as a separate "epic story" for those who want that, and I'd like more of those. Doesn't need to be episodic content, although I think it's a good format. And speaking of which, I haven't done Rust and Rime, which I thiiiiink is episodic(?) but starts late in the game, so don't spoil it pls. In any case, the new one wouldn't have to share Bingo Boffin's lighthearted, generally upbeat vibe, either; it could be a very somber story — a tragedy? There are plenty of options.

So, the most important criteria are:
    - Minimum overlap with the main story (or Bingo Boffin) so it can be played and read by a separate character without breaking the universe
    - Long term story that starts off with lowbie quests but eventually spans most of the game levels and ideally a number of zones
    - Uniqueness (ie not just "Bingo Boffin, but with an elf this time")
    - Engaging writing
    - Neat rewards?

And that's about it. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone's got story ideas.
    Last edited by Lady_Lethargy; Jul 06 2019 at 07:33 PM.
    Come join House of the Heavenly Arch, a Discord server for LGBT Fans of LOTR: https://discord.gg/9QfKMPJ
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

/signed

Sergio :-)
    Moved from Riddermark to Landroval on 2/10/1015!

The Bingo Boffins questline ended up being more fun than most of the questlines of the regions that they cross through.
    not sure if that is saying that the quests are so boring that an alternative seems fun or that Bingo is all is enjoyable.
    Probably both.

We need more Bingo Boffins!
    /signed

I would seriously love this.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
    Continuing the never ending battle to keep Lobelia Sackville-Baggins in check

Echoweaver is offline Meddler in the Affairs of Wizards
    +1 Bingo is one of my favorite features. Part of what makes it fun is engaging with characters long-term with development over time. I can really get to care about Bingo.

Doing this was an adorable and silly Hobbit makes a lot of sense. More Bingo wouldn't be the right thing, but it would need to be built around some characters who are not High Epic Heroes.

Hmmm.... Maybe something centering around a Dwarf? Dwarves have more flaws and personality quirks than a lot of your typical Elves .
    Anor veteran on Landroval: Ardith and Wensleydale
    Learning to raid on Landroval https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

Bingo's questline is one of my favorite in the game, I'd love it if they did another like it - with him or someone new, doesn't matter to me.

I think the big secret to making a questline like Bingo successful is finding the right story to tell (and having the time to make it! Bingo took two years!) -- but I do really like the idea of having "alternate" stories that can run independently alongside the existing quests through whole swaths of the game; and as the world gets bigger we see a lot more possibilities for that. This summer I'm a liiiiittle busy on something else, obviously.

MoL

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    I think the big secret to making a questline like Bingo successful is finding the right story to tell (and having the time to make it! Bingo took two years!) -- but I do really like the idea of having "alternate" stories that can run independently alongside the existing quests through whole swaths of the game; and as the world gets bigger we see a lot more possibilities for that. This summer I'm a liiiiittle busy on something else, obviously.

MoL

Would love to see "Bingo-like" questlines that would return to areas that we've left behind. For example, the Iron Hills is such a great area (imo) and yet, it seems only too quickly we complete the quests there...and move on...with very little reason to return except for sight-seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post

MoL
    i bet you ve already started crerating a new type of Bingo adventures,
    since we loved it from episode 1!
    its only to find time to complete it n the right time to release!
    (oops its summer! maybe now its the right time, just forget everything else!!!)
    i ve heard something about a dwarf trader, a cart full of tools and a destination to Gondor........... ?????
    lotr enthousiast since 1996, over 12 years lotro player, lifetimer, Loyal member of the Spartans Kinship and Subleader, now in Evernight imigrants from Eldar

This is tough. The Lord of the Rings was written as a hobbit-oriented sequel to The Hobbit, so naturally additional story lines tend towards Hobbitishness (though, of course, LotR grew to more than just hobbits).

Ideas might include (disregarding for this thread the IP issues):
    - An Elf-oriented tale, threading through First, Second, and Third ages
    - A Dwarf-oriented tale, perhaps regarding Gundabad and the forefathers of the Dwarves
    - A Mannish tale outside the descendants of the Houses of Hador, etc.

With the recent expansion into the Vales of Anduin, it would be interesting to hear more on Men who came to the West, but did not become Elf-friends. LotR drops hints in this direction.

Cheers,
    Gloimli @ ex-Windfola

I recently played Bingo and I like it very much. It would be really nice to have some more stories like this. It is chillout but very interesting and it have some special charm. What is also very nice that it gives some nice rewards and titles.

I was really happy to check if Bert Bartleby has show up somewhere to see what new items he have for my collection.

I also would love to see more questlines like this.

We could have one starting in Bree with a Barliman Butterbur's relative, so we can see more rooms in the Prancing Pony, reuse some now-empty places (Mess Hall) in Bree and the now bigger Bree-land, meet family and friends and how Gandalf is to them (memory quests).

Also love Bingo Boffin, time for his Volume II!

Multi-region normal-loveable-npc-centered demi-epic independent world-feeling quest-chains are the best!

/signed
    Last edited by Carallot; Dec 12 2021 at 03:50 PM.
    Dear reader, I tend to edit my posts A LOT, sorry. Please don't be hasty, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Raegaen View Post
    Bingo's questline is one of my favorite in the game, I'd love it if they did another like it - with him or someone new, doesn't matter to me.
    I dearly wish that there was a second adventure in Bingo Boffin's future. Like he goes to check on W.W. and travels further into Middle Earth or maybe W.W. comes and needs aid with something. This was a fun little side quest adventure and I'd love it if he'd put on his adventuring cap, get his trusty friend W.W. to join in and have another adventure.

I loved Bingo's quest... I have yet to tire of him "swimming" in the Brandywine.

Maybe you could eventually do one series for each race! I'd *really really* love to have a Woodmen themed quest series. Take us through Woodhall and adventure through Mirkwood, up and down the Anduin. I know there's already quests in those areas, but nothing like what Bingo does.