We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Some questions about loremasters and pets

I am currently playing a loremaster on anor and I love having a pet to help kill things. I am currently level 46 and I have been running blue line while leveling. I have been able to solo quite a lot of group content mostly due to a mix of cc and the power of my pet.

I have heard that loremaster pets scale very poorly and are pretty useless at high levels. Is this true? At what level does this start happening? Will my pet still be strong at the current anor cap of 65? If so, what's the chance of pets getting buffed/fixed by the time the cap gets to a point where its relevant?

I love playing my loremaster, but much of that is because of the pet. Being able to casually solo elite masters is great. I do run yellow line in groups, but for soloing stuff, I'm not that into red. Too many long cooldowns.

Thanks in advance for your help. I need to know if I should consider rolling something else.

I can't say much about pets past 75 yet, but I can tell you my blue line lore-master is still going strong as I approach Rohan, so I think you'll be fine to the current cap on Anor.

In my experience, pet damage scales more or less linearily with level. But mob morale does this too until level 50. Then, it starts becoming exponentially (because each expansion brought a stat inflation), but the curve doesn't diverge much from the line at the beginning.

My expectation for your pet's damage would be:
    lvl 01 - 65: Strong (even a bit OP)
    lvl 66 - 85: Good
    lvl 95 - 105: Mediocre
    lvl 106 - 120: Weak

The Mordor expansion (lvl 106 - 115) brought a massive stat inflation. Since pets didn't follow that curve, they've become quite weak at cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Findolo
    what's the chance of pets getting buffed/fixed by the time the cap gets to a point where its relevant?
    Captains and Rune Keepers are next in line for a rework. I guess it will take some time until LM pets are fixed.

Pets got some minor tweaks last summer to make their scaling smoother, so the old pet rumor is not entirely true anymore (at least not to same extent). Blue line LM is still awaiting fixes, so the pet thing is likely to be solved only then - until that time, at least the scaling situation is now better than it used to be.
    Éalá Éarendel engla beorhtast,
    ofer middangeard monnum sended,
    ond sóð
    fæsta sunnan léoma,
    torht ofer tung
    las, þú tída gehwane,
    of sylfum þé symle inlíhtes!

-
    "Leaving the game plan is a sign of panic, and panic is not in our game plan." - Chuck Noll

Pets are viable at all levels, you can switch to Red for a while if you want. Switch back to Blue around 100 in Dol Amroth and when you do The Paths of the Dead. You will pass through them and come back to them in Dol Amroth. In Mordor, you will want to be in Blue, with a high level of Finesse; the mobs received a large over all buff. After Mordor, you will want to stay in Blue. In Dol Amroth and after you'll want the Bear if you are soloing, the mobs hit hard.

You should build all three trait trees.

Our pets no longer receive a 3 level boost with Tutelage of the Brown Wizard, Capstone Blue Line. The fix, our pets received buffs to morale, damage and mits and of course the pet pocket bling helps a lot. Read the announcement here
    Last edited by Gandolf_TheOld; Jul 17 2019 at 09:21 AM.
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

My main is level 120, and her Onyx Lynx is still the strongest skill she's got.

I could wish that when the Lynx is in Aggressive mode, he would be just a little more aggressive. He's supposed to attack anything within range -- but his range is very short; I have to keep telling him to attack. Still, I wouldn't change him for anything.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Trainer of the Rabbits
    Quote Originally Posted by Findolo View Post
    I have heard that loremaster pets scale very poorly and are pretty useless at high levels. Is this true?
    Partially: yes.
    Since the utterly stupid nerf from the blue line set bonus (+2 level for pet) and since excessive scaling issues from mobs up and down and up and down, our pets are at max level really week.

However they are not useless, but in endgame grouping and raids you will use the pets only for buffs/debuffs.
    Basically our job (for example in raids) is, to take care of everything including "pet dancing" at the right time.
    (just as an example how important our pets are: you always have to think in the future: if you know that an Oathbreaker's Shame is coming soon, you refresh you debuffs and waiting for it to cast ancient craft, tar, warding knowledge, use cat-mint and raven's benediction, change to bear and use shatter arms, change to lurker and use root strike)
    Using the pets (and your buffs/debuffs) to the right time is deciding between win and loose in a t3 raid.