We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Stuck on Validating Credentials

Not 20 minutes ago I was logged into the game and came across a problem whereby I couldn't detach an item from an auction mail. I decided exiting the game was a good idea, hoping that when I logged back in again the problem would have hopefully resolved itself. However, I am not able to enter the game at all now. After I put the password in and choose the server the login screen is stuck on 'validating credentials'. I have no idea what could've caused it, and why it seems to be happening as, as you can see, I am perfectly able to login into the forums with no problem.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

SSG is investigating, but it looks from afar as if the game servers have 'taken a break' at an unscheduled time.

Yep, yep. You are not alone.

Something (tm) is broken in the LOTRO authentication system, and this is a typical example failure mode for LOTRO. (While I do wish that the launcher itself would warn us that the login process "is currently unstable, and is being worked on", ... well, if wishes were fishes, we'd none of us starve. Or we'd be devoured by piranha hordes...)

I do, though, have a detail to add:

I have the launcher set to remain open after launch. Where usually it will remain in a "you have a game client running" state (or the launch a client on a server state), this morning (with this failure) it returns to the "enter account information" state.

Yesterday, it failed to read part (all?) of the local config file, forcing me into full-screen, low-rez mode with questions about which DirectX version to run. (Oddly, it remembered which character I'd last run, which is in the same config file...)

Thank you for your reports. We are looking into it.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Aha! I was wondering whether the current server transfer problems was maybe related to my issue, and I'm at least relieved to know it's not my PC that's the problem.

Thanks to both of you for letting me know!

Just an update that we are making progress, but the worlds are still down. We'll have more information as soon as we can.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool