We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Disappearing floating object names.

This is highly annoying. Wonder if others experience same.

I always run with floating names on since many times quest items are hard to spot/click otherwise. Not sure if this is related to 'induction gauge under name' change, but I had object names disappearing on me constantly.
    Example, yesterday, doing an Avabarg Vale daily, I zone in, bones/relics not showing names. I double-tap N, names reappear. I clear the room, click items, move on to next room - object names gone again. I had to double-tap N 2-3 times per minute to make sure I did not miss the clickies, cause those names kept disappearing.

Sthrax is offline Defender of the Hornburg
    Wandering, but not lost
    Quote Originally Posted by scorrp10 View Post

I always run with floating names on since many times quest items are hard to spot/click otherwise. Not sure if this is related to 'induction gauge under name' change, but I had object names disappearing on me constantly.
    Example, yesterday, doing an Avabarg Vale daily, I zone in, bones/relics not showing names. I double-tap N, names reappear. I clear the room, click items, move on to next room - object names gone again. I had to double-tap N 2-3 times per minute to make sure I did not miss the clickies, cause those names kept disappearing.
    Had the same problem in the Haunted Burrow last night.

I've noticed this a ton in the new area. Actually nearly all the interact-able items dont show their floaty names. And, in my case, hitting N on and off does nothing to fix it. It did make questing a bit of a challenge, trying to find some tiny items in the myriad of orc bodies and garbage but I managed with the help of DEL.

You are definitely not the only one, was a topic of discussion on my server's WC last night. Im sure it'll be fixed in a hotfix

-Ody
    Last edited by Oddessia; Nov 06 2019 at 06:49 PM.

Floaty names have been a bit hit and miss for me for quite a while now even pre-update. Does seem to have got worse though.

I experienced the same in the Haunted Burrow. Coming closer, the name disappears. Or maybe, it moves into an area outside my view, who knows.

Greetings, Polymachos
    Räuberhöhle auf Belegaer, Breelandsiedlung, Ochsbott, Lange Straße 5. Vorsicht, Fallen!
    Awkward Anomalities Arena in Breeland Homesteads, 6 Long Street, Ersward (Landroval) - Elderslade under attack!

Scared people tend to follow the flock, no matter which shepherd it has

Yeah, that's been happening for a bit, but it has definitely gotten worse since the patch.

Unhappy No names

I always run with floating names on since many times quest items are hard to spot/click otherwise.
    I have done this for the same reason. But something happened with the last update (prior to Minas Morgul) and item names disappeared. N key didn't work. Have to hit Delete each time to select the next item and it shows up. I bugged it then and got a reply from the GM that they couldn't figure it out and sent it on to QA. So not sure what is causing it but apparently this update has made it worse. Maybe now it will get more attention.

Yes.

We are looking into this.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

I have the same problem. Nice that is a known issue.

Thumbs up

Yes, I noticed this earlier today too. Floating names on objects You can interact with. Have to press N and then N again each time in any new room or area to get the names to show. Very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    Good.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Noticed the same while questing.... the object has its "floaty lights" to highlight it, but no name. Hitting "DEL" makes the name appear, so I am just tapping DEL a lot when doing object questing.

Resource nodes seem to be fine though, they keep their floating names..... so do NPC's.

Quest objects though.... not so much.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

There was a setting, undocumented, some time back adding a floaty names to the front option

Under the [UI] section of the ini files it's
    FloatyTextOnTop=True

It might be it, I can't for the life on me find the UI setting, perhaps it got lost in the move to 64bit, but please enlighten me.

Edit: nvm Floating Text Always on top, check

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ballie View Post
    There was a setting, undocumented, some time back adding a floaty names to the front option

FloatyTextOnTop=True

It might be it, I can't for the life on me find the UI setting, perhaps it got lost in the move to 64bit, but please enlighten me.

Mine was set to "False" I have altered that to "True" now. Not had time to log in after. Did it help for You ???

It certainly helped me a few of months back when I noticed the option. I'm a next object use key setup not a text clicker but still a help.

If only these additions were in the notes. Seems pointless implementing something and it deemed not worth putting in the release notes. Else my memory is failing me, who are you again?

Question

It certainly helped me a few of months back when I noticed the option. I'm a next object use key setup not a text clicker but still a help.

If only these additions were in the notes. Seems pointless implementing something and it deemed not worth putting in the release notes. Else my memory is failing me, who are you again?
    Who ??? What ???

8 O'Clock

Question

8 O'Clock
    On Tuesdays only ??? Sallad ???

Lightbulb

FloatyTextOnTop=True

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    Mine was set to "False" I have altered that to "True" now. Not had time to log in after. Did it help for You ???
    UPDATE: I have been in now for a short bit and unfortionetly that did NOT fix it. Still need to press "N" key and then "N" key again for the floaty text on quest objects to appear in each room in The Haunted Burrow. Doesn't help much to press "delete" key either, as that only higlights one object and if do the quest with flasks to drink from, You need to chose correct one and then You need to press "delete" over and over to finally highligt the correct one.

Not gamebreaking, but very annoying indeed.

Have you remapped Del to next object or still default nearest. Count yourself lucky not to have remapped backspace to something else so you could then not select nearest mob.

There are locales in the game where selection mechanism are broken, Skarnhold vault crafting stations can't be selected with these key combos, maybe the burrow has issues. In instance like BG LT fight your camera angle can have all names disappear, swing it round and they all show again. The burrow has a load of things hanging down. These can effect where the game then decides where your view point is and what you can see. The skin on the hanging might not spoil your view but the game might access it differently from the perspective of the object's dimensions not it's skin. It's aworry if it's escaped onto landscape though.
    The game has had these issues for years in many instances. Even the new Black Book has a (Tower Meeting) room with all sorts of issues - don't stand in the purple puddle, Wraith pee?

There were always far more pressing issues to worry too much about it for me though.

I guess my issue was say I am harvesting a node and I can see the text of another behind a tree. By the time I finish harvesting the text of the next node had disappeared. One annoyance for me recently has been despite having draw distance ramped up nodes skins don't appear until I'm almost on them. Since around the 64bit introduction.

But in all likelihood SSG must have broken something and they know it and sent the CM out to cover.

Edit: I didn't alter the new induction bar setting btw
    Last edited by Ballie; Nov 07 2019 at 06:08 AM.

Lightbulb

Have you remapped Del to next object or still default nearest. Count yourself lucky not to have remapped backspace to something else so you could then not select nearest mob.

There are locales in the game where selection mechanism are broken, Skarnhold vault crafting stations can't be selected with these key combos, maybe the burrow has issues. In instance like BG LT fight your camera angle can have all names disappear, swing it round and they all show again. The burrow has a load of things hanging down. These can effect where the game then decides where your view point is and what you can see. The skin on the hanging might not spoil your view but the game might access it differently from the perspective of the object's dimensions not it's skin. It's aworry if it's escaped onto landscape though.
    The game has had these issues for years in many instances. Even the new Black Book has a (Tower Meeting) room with all sorts of issues - don't stand in the purple puddle, Wraith pee?

There were always far more pressing issues to worry too much about it for me though.

I guess my issue was say I am harvesting a node and I can see the text of another behind a tree. By the time I finish harvesting the text of the next node had disappeared. One annoyance for me recently has been despite having draw distance ramped up nodes skins don't appear until I'm almost on them. Since around the 64bit introduction.

But in all likelihood SSG must have broken something and they know it and sent the CM out to cover.

Edit: I didn't alter the new induction bar setting btw
    Yes, it still works on some objects like the Apple Bobbing Barrels and Crafting Material Nodes still show floating text automatically. Also floating text/names on NPC's works. Things that don't require a quest to be able to interact with still works as before.

It's Quest objects that don't show. Like I hear people saying they can't see the Lore Pages on the ground ones they accept those type of quests. Or like me and OP when You accept say a quest to search for missing belongins in the Haunted Burrow, or the flasks You need to drink the correct one and follow the clues. Objects that becomes active after accepting a quest and should show a hovering text. That is what's not working anymore automatically. If enter a room need to press N and get the message that hovering names are off, then press Nu again and get a meaage that hovering names are on, then the quest items shows hovering text, then you enter next room and it's same all over and You need to press N and then N again etc.

Before the update it was not like this at all. Once You accepted one of those quest the quest object You should interact with all automatically had hovering text over them.

Also the "nearest target" isn't much use in quest like the flask one, as all the falsk are on small tables in a cluster infront of You, so not really helping to target nearest. Instead You end up toggling through them now, pressing "delete", "delete", "delete" etc, until get the correct one.

I hope that makes it clearer.

Echoweaver is offline Meddler in the Affairs of Wizards
    Huh. I hadn't seen this thread, and I sent in a fresh bug report on this a couple of days ago. I guess it's a much bigger problem than I realized. I run with names off unless I absolutely can't find quest items otherwise.

I got a response saying that they're aware and working on it, which is a different form letter than the one I usually get. So I guess they're working on it.
    Anor veteran on Landroval: Ardith and Wensleydale
    Learning to raid on Landroval https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...League-Kinship

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Echoweaver View Post
    Huh. I hadn't seen this thread, and I sent in a fresh bug report on this a couple of days ago. I guess it's a much bigger problem than I realized. I run with names off unless I absolutely can't find quest items otherwise.

I got a response saying that they're aware and working on it, which is a different form letter than the one I usually get. So I guess they're working on it.
    Yes, Cordovan even replied so a bit up.

Still submitting a bug report with details on how to re-create this and exactly what type of objets are affected under what conditions, helps the devs to recreate and pin-point is easier. So that can never hurt I guess.

We have been having some difficulty getting a consistent repro on this, so if you've got some info that can help, please send it in through the bug reporting system.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

Lightbulb

We have been having some difficulty getting a consistent repro on this, so if you've got some info that can help, please send it in through the bug reporting system.
    I did earlier, just in case.

Here is the detai if that helps You dig it up faster:

---

Request #104694
    Floating Names On Quest Items Not Automatically Showing Up Anymore After Minas Morgul Update

Today at 16:07
    Before The MM Update if You accepted a quest and had Floating Names option activated, the quest items You needed to interact with would show Floating Names above the objects automatically.

After MM Update they do NOT anymore. Even if Floating Names option is on You still need to Press N and the get message "Floating Names are off", then press N again and get the message that "Floating names are on" every time You try to see a quest object. It becomes very annoying. People are not seeing Lore Pages on the ground unless they press N and N again everyhwere they go. If You for example accept one of the quests in Haunted Burrow, like the one that requires You to drink the correct bottle out of a couple of bottles on tables in various rooms You don't get any floating text over them like You used to unless You press N then N again in every room You enter. Same with the quest to find lost belongings.

Other objects like the Apple Bobbing Tubs/Barrels, Vendor NPC's and crafting material nodes do have Floating text as before by default if the option is active. It's only objects that is required You have a quest active to interact with them that do not work properly anymore.

I even tried changing the text in the UserPreferences "FloatyTextOnTop=False" to "FloatyTextOnTop=True" in both the 32-bit client as well as in UserPreferences64 for the 64-bit clinet, but that did not do help this issue.

I'm not the only one having this issue since the update. Plenty of people in discord channels I am in say the same, as well as reported in this post in the forums:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...g-object-names

---

I also bugged this issue which is even more serious as people end up losing quest rewarded Figments and probably Embers and Motes too, as they are working under the same type of system.

---

Request #104654
    Figments Possibly Embers And Motes Too From Quest Are Simple Gone Or Not Rewarded If You Are Near Cap.

Today at 08:34
    As first reported in this thread by redwoodtreesprite:

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthr...ose-to-cap!!!!

You lose any Figments from handing in a quest etc, if that quest for example reward 1.000 Figments, and You are at say 9.100 and the 1.000 reward would result in You getting over cap. No, not just lose 100 that would be over cap, but get nothing at all and You are still stuck at 9.100 Figments as the reward is simply not given and lost in the void.

I assume this goes for Embers and Motes too, but I have not dared to test that and risk losing those too. In fact I am at cap on my embers and have no quest that would reward so much motes that I could end up over cap on motes, so not really able to test that anyway.

---

To the first issue the reply was that You are aware of the issue. On the second issue with figment rewards being lost it was the standard default reply, indicating You are not aware of that issue.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Nov 07 2019 at 12:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast