We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Exclamation Character unavailable - You cannot use this character until you have finished downloading the area they are in

I do not recall this happening ever but now it did. From searches this may happen when your character is somehow not in an expected place when loading, or perhaps even what the game says, I need some files to be updated but there are none.

Well I am standing a bit south of the Rath Duath camp, on a cliff overlooking the river and Minas Morgul to the west, just before the first left turn of the road.

Someone help me.

Marancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Community Discord | My in game image hosting: LotroShots

Have you tried a different character in the same region? I ask because that will help determine whether it's the region, or your character, causing the issue.

If you don't have another character in the region, but do have another level 120 that you can successfully log in, then try taking it to where your lost character is, and logging out before trying to log back in.

If you can do it successfully, then the problem is on the lost character. If it is a problem with files in the region, you should get the problem on other characters too. If that happens, try the repair option on the launcher to bring in the lost files (note, it will reinstall the game and takes a long time).
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

Damn this is spreading, ported my 115 Captain Calchiar to Udun Foothold and he went lost as well, in the port. Game was just hanging there with the loading screen.

Now I have two unavailable characters

Trying Cireol ,112 Elf,, on another account. Went to 21st hall and took a swift goat to Udun... same.. game hung on loading screen and when logging in again...also unavailable.

Three unavailable characters.... this is ruining my game Sunday.

EDIT

Going for repair. I can watch Star Trek while waiting.
    Last edited by Marancil; Nov 24 2019 at 05:46 AM.
    Marancil CHN, Historian Calchiar CPT, Explorer Sturmdrang WDN, Woodsman Anancite GRD, Armourer Tarostel HNT, Armsman Angredeth HNT, Tinker Dromarong GRD, Dwarf
    The Lord of the Rings Online: Community Discord | My in game image hosting: LotroShots

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Marancil View Post
    Damn this is spreading, ported my 115 Captain Calchiar to Udun Foothold and he went lost as well, in the port. Game was just hanging there with the loading screen.

Now I have two unavailable characters

Trying Cireol ,112 Elf,, on another account. Went to 21st hall and took a swift goat to Udun... same.. game hung on loading screen and when logging in again...also unavailable.

Three unavailable characters.... this is ruining my game Sunday.

EDIT

Going for repair. I can watch Star Trek while waiting.
    I highly doubt a repair of Your game files would solve that issue. That is clearely a server issue or game issue. As You can get into the game and even to the character select screen, see Your characters and all but not access them.

One thing that does happen is if a sub expires is that characters gets locked out as You lose some character slots. With sub you get at least 2 extra I think, so say You have a sub and 12 slots, characters on all 12, then sub runs out, 2 characters will not be accesible. However usually You get to chose which 2 You will leave unaccessible. You will see the characters like You do in the character screen, but not be able to play them. I have that on one account.However I have always gotten the option to pick which one I will not be abel to access when a sub expires on that account.

If Your sub has not run out, it could be a log-in server issue, that the game acts as if a sub has run out or something with bought character slots suddenly not registering to Your account etc. A bug on the server side so people lose their accesible character slots aasigned to their account.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Funk View Post
    I highly doubt a repair of Your game files would solve that issue. That is clearely a server issue or game issue. As You can get into the game and even to the character select screen, see Your characters and all but not access them.

One thing that does happen is if a sub expires is that characters gets locked out as You lose some character slots. With sub you get at least 2 extra I think, so say You have a sub and 12 slots, characters on all 12, then sub runs out, 2 characters will not be accesible. However usually You get to chose which 2 You will leave unaccessible. You will see the characters like You do in the character screen, but not be able to play them. I have that on one account.However I have always gotten the option to pick which one I will not be abel to access when a sub expires on that account.

If Your sub has not run out, it could be a log-in server issue, that the game acts as if a sub has run out or something with bought character slots suddenly not registering to Your account etc. A bug on the server side so people lose their accesible character slots aasigned to their account.
    I don't think it's a dropped sub issue. I get that on two of my chars, that are unavailable to me because of a dropped sub, and its nothing like what the OP is describing. Also . . . this . . . .

"You cannot use this character until you have finished downloading the area they are in"

Looks like the region he is trying to reach, has not patched properly, and files are missing. Repair will reinstall the game and that should sort that out. I had a similar issue not long after the first MM patch (though not lost characters), and had to reinstall the game to get past it.

Also, the screenshot in here shows that the OP is VIP, not premium.

Repair is failing due to update errors. PatchClientDLL

DiskCon::InitFile: Warning: datfile "client_sound_aux_1.datx" did not contain any GUID version stamp information!
    000000000.000: CompoundDiskController::Initia lizeExtent: Extent stamp mismatch.
    000000000.000: CompoundDiskController::Initia lizeExtents: Failed to open extent file client_sound_aux_1.datx
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_sound.dat, error 0x8d5c0382
    000000000.000: creating datfile patch client
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_cell_4.dat...
    000000000.000: SimpleDiskController::InitFile failed with PDISKERR error code [-2]
    000000000.000: SimpleDiskController::InitFile failed with PDISKERR error code [-2]
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_cell_4.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_local_English.dat...
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_local_English.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_map_3.dat...
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_map_3.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_cell_2.dat...
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_cell_2.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_surface.dat...
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_surface.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_highres.dat...
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_highres.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_map_2.dat...
    000000000.000: Failed to open client_map_2.dat
    000000000.000: Trying to open G:\The Lord of the Rings Online/client_sound.dat...
    000000000.000:
    etc...and no its not related to the disk drive. Its healthy.

Funk: I was logged in, I can access characters, I could log in to them, but when getting to any character in Mordor (either porting them there or having them there) those characters got stuck in above mentioned mode. Any Character either in Mordor/Morgul or porting to Mordor is unavailable.

I also believe it is probably a server issue, but Arnenna suggested repair, so now I am seeing that repair is not working so I have to delete everything and start over.

Repair is failing due to update errors. PatchClientDLL

etc...and no its not related to the disk drive. Its healthy.

Funk: I was logged in, I can access characters, I could log in to them, but when getting to any character in Mordor (either porting them there or having them there) those characters got stuck in above mentioned mode. Any Character either in Mordor/Morgul or porting to Mordor is unavailable.

I also believe it is probably a server issue, but Arnenna suggested repair, so now I am seeing that repair is not working so I have to delete everything and start over.
    Corrupt files in the new region. Clean instal is probably the only way forward now. Was hoping repair could bring in those files for you though.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Arnenna View Post
    I don't think it's a dropped sub issue. I get that on two of my chars, that are unavailable to me because of a dropped sub, and its nothing like what the OP is describing. Also . . . this . . . .

"You cannot use this character until you have finished downloading the area they are in"

Looks like the region he is trying to reach, has not patched properly, and files are missing. Repair will reinstall the game and that should sort that out. I had a similar issue not long after the first MM patch (though not lost characters), and had to reinstall the game to get past it.

Also, the screenshot in here shows that the OP is VIP, not premium.
    Ahhh, I missed the obvious info in the headline, the topic. "You cannot use this character until you have finished downloading the area they are in". My bad.

Yes, then either the same error that happens sometimes during last day of a festival when entering that area and servers can not handle the load due to all players and all freeze as they run into an invisible wall trying to load the region and then the character is stuck, can't log into it again (eventually ssg have had to shut down and reboot the server), or as You say the region has corrupted game files. I still lean more tawards the first then, this being a server side issue. By the time Marancil has done a whole repair, the servers could have cleared up as well.

Still what I was also contemplating was that there have been times when the account status is not registering correctly with the game account as You log-in. Meaning even if we had paid for VIP or even extra storage it would not register that and give us acces to it within the game. Not necessarily meaning that the player has not paid for VIP, but that somehow that VIP status is not registering as he/she logs-in. Communication between account server info and game account going wrong somewhere. It has also happened in the past.

Setup grew to 29 570 MB... soon 30GB. LOL

Ahhh, I missed the obvious info in the headline, the topic. My bad.
    Want some coffee?

Yes, then either the same error that happens sometimes during last day of a festival when entering that area and servers can not handle the load due to all players and all freeze as they run into an invisible wall trying to load the region and then the character is stuck, can't log into it again (eventually ssg have had to shut down and reboot the server), or as You say the region has corrupted game files. I still lean more tawards the first then, this being a server side issue. By the time Marancil has done a whole repair, the servers could have cleared up as well.
    Kick the rest of the players outta server.

Still what I was also contemplating was that there have been times when the account status is not registering correctly with the game account as You log-in. Meaning even if we had paid for VIP or even extra storage it would not register that and give us acces to it within the game. Not necessarily meaning that the player has not paid for VIP, but that somehow that VIP status is not registering as he/she logs-in. Communication between account server info and game account going wrong somewhere. It has also happened in the past.
    Very long time that ever happened but yes, that is a hypothetical issue.

Lightbulb

Want some coffee?
    Yes, it's Sunday and still too early, even if it's afternoon here now, he he he !!!

Kick the rest of the players outta server.
    Attaboy, that's the spirit.

Very long time that ever happened but yes, that is a hypothetical issue.
    Yes, maybe a long stretch but still possible. Still more likely other server issues, like overload. Simply as it's a weekend and Sunday the servers can not hande the number of players. Just like it happens on last day of festivals sometimes. Maybe SSG need to restart some servers ??? Which one You play on btw (if want to say that here, I understand if you don't, privacy and all that) ???

I have avoided playing daytime and evening as I get reduced awareness in new Mordor areas all the time now, well mainly MM area and not besieged area as much, as fewer players there. Even more laggy in other areas as well, yes more than usual, which is really bad, as usually there is lag, packet loss and delays anyway. NPC's takes time to open menues, mail even hang for some time before gets sent. Even emptying a mail takes time before items end up in bag.

It's really bad at the moment and MM only really playable at off hours when fewer on. Unless You want to play with skill delays and weird behaviour.

It's really bad at the moment and MM only really playable at off hours when fewer on. Unless You want to play with skill delays and weird behaviour.
    Are you new to this game?
    Unfamiliar with Reduced Awareness?
    End Game Area Lag?

How is any of the above any surprise to a seasoned veteran?

Unable to read signatures as well as headlines? Crickhollow.

I am concerned for you mental welfare Mr Funk.... ´

AND FIXED
    Last edited by Marancil; Nov 24 2019 at 08:41 AM.

Thumbs up

Are you new to this game?
    Unfamiliar with Reduced Awareness?
    End Game Area Lag?
    Of course not, just that it's still as annoying.

How is any of the above any surprise to a seasoned veteran?
    It's not but again, still as annoying.

Unable to read signatures as well as headlines? Crickhollow.
    Obviously I am...today anyway..., he he he !!!

Honestly I filter out most signatures automaticllay with my mind. Just skip to next reply, after reading the post itself. Signatures is in my mind like ads, mostly just a blur I don't often pay attention to.

Just as I filter out some posters with my mind without having to block them (not putting them on ignore) or anything. Just as I'm sure many filter me out and skip anything I write.

I am concerned for you mental welfare Mr Funk....
    You're not the only one. Ask my family.

AND FIXED
    Great news. Glad the reinstall got it sorted.

Lightbulb

AND FIXED...
    Awesome !!!

I'm still curious as to what caused it in the first place ???

Seems quite a few have issues today. I tried playing earlier, but the lag was so bad that even in School on a burg when unlocking some skills they would turn grey again before they would even go off. It came and went like that. Not 100% of the time, but often enough. Had characters getting stuck trying to log in, then have to force shut down LoTRO as nothing would happen, just stuck loading, then log back in again and character naked on character screen and possibly get back in, sometimes. Having reduced awareness even in Jarnfast with no others around in close vicinity. Simply no point playing under those conditions. Too frustrating. I will see if it clears up later.

Link: Ping from Las Vegas area --- packeit loses 80% +

Now it seems the store stopped working for players too. It just gets better and better. At least the web-site Forums haven't started acting like they did last weekend, not yet anyway. I'm glad I decided to log out earlier and do other stuff now. Catch up on some things and maybe play later instead.

Link: LotRO Store Continues to Cause Problems

Link: Problem opening store.

Now someone just posted a reply that the store seem to be working again, not sure if just temporary or if all issues cleared up now ???

Quote Originally Posted by Garatha View Post
    The store is working again.
    Last edited by Lord.Funk; Nov 24 2019 at 02:06 PM.

Awesome !!!

I'm still curious as to what caused it in the first place ???
    So am I, was playing in Minas Morgul Thursday-Friday-Saturday and suddenly Sunday something went wrong. Random file corruption is possible, yet not something I stumble over often. From the error log it seems to have started with audio device detection issues. If we go from there there is a chance that new HD Audio drivers embedded in the Nvidia GFX drivers can have caused it, it could also be Windows 10 1909 which I updated to just minutes before starting the game on Sunday. Speculation.

I had the 'you must finish downloading the area' error primarily on one character about 2 months ago, for awhile a GM would port me somewhere and that would clear it up, but conversely, I couldn't port or map anywhere without getting stuck. It didn't matter that all my other characters could access the same area, and come and go as they pleased, it was always just one character that got stuck.

No one seemed to now what to do to fix it, until about the 6th ticket when a GM suggested repairing the game, and that has resolved the problem with no problems in the last month.

I currently have the same issue in rauth duath so is it just the area? is there an actual hot fix? this is my main character w/ all my money and a maxed craft i bought from the store it makes me very angry
    alzie rank 15 mini
    "less talky, more killy"
    "kill fast , run faster!"
    The Apocalypse Kinship Elendilmir
    Antisocialnetworking brandywine

Teddibara beorning Brandywine
    alzeria rank 15 mini renamed Brandywine