We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Servers down two hours early - why?

Well?

Well i think a big opps is due from SSG and major compensation as well (kidding about compensation part)

I was just about to be beat the game too.

Wink

I`m sure they ask themselfs same quesiton

Yeah I planned my morning to have a break at this hour before the downtime just to see that I can't connect. I thought it was my connection, it seems not :/
    Anamura, Sunnarea, Silenius, Neushiro, Wandrassa, Wuldar, Fingaladir, Meowear, Virgalia, Turgamar (Old Fegefeuer)
    Amilegeth, Wargarr, Shakarabash, Luklubuz, Grishlukashkahkh, Dashkanakh
    "One lag to lag them all and in the lagness lag them"

I got up extra early today to try to grind enough Lotro points
    for one of the sale purchases before the 8 AM shutdown would end the sale.
    Since I assume "until the 12th" means "until we reboot on the 12th".

Yeah, servers are down for me too, long before the scheduled downtime. It's just LOTRO doing it's "Quality Assurance" thing again .....
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bral View Post
    Weekly Sales timer usually work a bit differetly that the server resets. They usually last until Friday afternoon around 16.00 or 4 pm CET/Central European Time. In fact the new sales that starts on a Thursday usually overlap with the previous weeks sale during that time. If You click the Sales button in the store on a Thursday afternoon, You will see items from both weeks sale listed until that time on Friday afternoon when suddenly after that time it's only the new weeks items on sale.

Then of course there are sometimes special sales that do not last for a week and such, so it is does not work that was in 100% of the cases, but mostly it does.

Not cool, SSG.
    “All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Welp, there's the reason!

Copy/paste error?

I usually log in for a little bit in the morning here as well. Having the servers down early is not that big a deal for me when it comes to not getting my morning LOTRO, but every time something like this happens (given the frequency) it erodes a bit more of any remaining faith in SSG communications or technology.

I love the game and think the people at SSG are great in general, but those two things are NOT their strengths.

Hmmm, looking at the release notes, I see that they state the Yule festival will begin at 10:00 AM EST. So maybe they brought them down early to make sure they gave enough time to get them back up before 10:00. Because if the Yule festival doesn't start on time, the whole holiday season is RUINED!

Quote Originally Posted by GregJL View Post
    Hmmm, looking at the release notes, I see that they state the Yule festival will begin at 10:00 AM EST. So maybe they brought them down early to make sure they gave enough time to get them back up before 10:00. Because if the Yule festival doesn't start on time, the whole holiday season is RUINED!
    This is a good point. Can't be giving those peasants in Winter-home an extra two hours before work starts!

There is one small benefit to the servers going down early: it'll prevent some VIPs and lifetimers from unwittingly opening their gold hobbit present before the new items are added in the update.

So we have 4 ot 6h downtime ?
    Any SSG response ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign50 View Post
    There is one small benefit to the servers going down early: it'll prevent some VIPs and lifetimers from unwittingly opening their gold hobbit present before the new items are added in the update.
    Unless, of course, you're in Europe, when they went down at 11am or noon, depending on time zone, ot in Australia, where they'd have gone down right in the middle of the evening.

istvana is offline Legendary forums 1st poster
    Why would SSG say anything, other than to apologize for bringing servers down early with no warning? Unless things go past the stated time (an hour and forty-five minutes from now) they never say anything about when the worlds will come back up. Nor is starting the downtime early historically a strong indication that it will end early - in fact if it was deliberate and not a mistake the opposite tends to be true.

So not only you bring servers down 2h earlier but its seems meintenance will be 2h longer...
    And not oficial post, nothing.
    Comunication is the key.
    This you do now, shows more than disrespect.
    Hope you have good reason.

And when you do some changes to game, PLEASE anounce them atleast 1 day earlier.
    Your comunity is not NA only. Some ppl from EU get screwed with the hobbit presences.
    Last edited by Pavlin; Dec 12 2019 at 10:51 AM.

I was online at 10 am german time because of hoping for any response about my wallet problem, still nothing
    At about 11 am wwe got a server wide message that the servers will be down at noon. 2 hours earlier than announced.
    At 12:00 nothing happened, so i thought there was a communication mistake.
    At 12:05 again there was a server wide message that the servers will be down at 12:00 !!!, in 5 minutes it said.

So, no word before, no twitter, no forum, no message anywhere. You know what? SSG does not care anything about us.
    They don't speak to us, for what reason ever. Never have seen such a bad behaviour in 12 years of playing LotRO.

Since it's over 4.5 hrs since server shutdown...

and the update servers still aren't working, perhaps the crew will still meet the 12 noon EST restart time.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    There has been discussion in the past about what "until the 12th" means, but what came out of it is that at the very least the time is set to a FIXED time, usually at a point of time where most of the world's timezones have firmly entered the 12th date.

Linguistically speaking "until the 12th" means midnight, the moment the 12th starts. But as servers have to deal with players from around the world, they pick a slightly more lenient time so that west coasters won't be like: But it isn't the 12th yet! Typically, I think the fixed time they pick covers about 90% of time zones, leaving only Alaska and Hawaii and a few far pacific islands still on the 11th when "until the 12th" hits on the servers. It's not easy to pick the "most inclusive" time zones due to the position of the international date line.

Either way, someone is going to be upset that it "isn't the 12th yet". Generally speaking the weekly sales run WELL into Thursday Morning though, so there shouldn't be a problem unless the servers stay down too long.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

If they rollback some servers because of issues and neither communicate nor compensate their customers because of that, why would they care to do that for some extended maintenance window. SSG does not give a rat´s ar... . Why they still have somebody who calls himself a community manager is beyond me, they clearly do not want to communicate.

As a customer you are supposed to log on and see yourself how much time and items you lost or that you can not log in at all.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavlin View Post
    So not only you bring servers down 2h earlier but its seems meintenance will be 2h longer...
    They still have about 1 hour and 8 minutes at the time of this post if they keep to the original end time. Not sure why they decided to start 2 hours early though, that seems quite odd.

You comunity is not NA only. Some ppl from EU get screwed with the hobbit presences.
    Their company is based in the USA with USA working hours. If you play a South Korean MMO that only has servers in South Korea, you will get South Korean patch times. I'm sure there are MMO's out there with "EU friendly" patch times, Lotro is not one of them.
    I lived in Europe when I played Everquest, and has to deal with annoying patch times too. That's just the nature of playing a game based in the USA. I realize Codemasters used to run servers in Europe, but they screwed up badly enough building their databases that the EU servers now can never transfer characters to US servers and vice versa, so they didn't do the community a great service either in the end.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    They still have about 1 hour and 8 minutes at the time of this post if they keep to the original end time. Not sure why they decided to start 2 hours early though, that seems quite odd.

Their company is based in the USA with USA working hours. If you play a South Korean MMO that only has servers in South Korea, you will get South Korean patch times. I'm sure there are MMO's out there with "EU friendly" patch times, Lotro is not one of them.
    I lived in Europe when I played Everquest, and has to deal with annoying patch times too. That's just the nature of playing a game based in the USA. I realize Codemasters used to run servers in Europe, but they screwed up badly enough building their databases that the EU servers now can never transfer characters to US servers and vice versa, so they didn't do the community a great service either in the end.
    Meintenance was supposed to be 4h no? Its already 5h+
    Whats the reason to have EU servers with nothing EU in them ? (i dont mean the comunity)
    Anyway, cant wait to see new bliue champ changes in action. Hope servers will be back in next 1h.
    And they better give us some cool mounts and cosmetics from Yule!!!

(Their company is based in the USA with USA working hours)
    Even this isnt a excuse to give ppl changes AFTER they implant them to game.
    Just let us know few days earlier ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast