We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could you please give us an update or SOME communication regarding the status of Legendary Servers

Back in June 2019 there was some discussion regarding the LS and a lack of communication regarding content releases.

In that thread, Cordovan stated:

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    ... One of the things Tolero, Oliveyew, and I have been discussing is perhaps a couple of supportable changes to the lotro.com/legendary page that will more easily show people where we are on the timeline, and what's next. I don't know that it would have solved the issue of Update 24, Siege of Mirkwood on Legendary, and the Summer Festival next week in terms of fitting things through the pipeline, but we'll see what we can do.
    At this point, no one knows what is happening and when the next release will be. I see a lot of speculation that it will be by the end of this month (January 2020), but the original timeline of LS content release would have had Riders of Rohan dropping in roughly March.

I understand there are a lot of priorities out there for SSG, but I'm finding it disappointing that there has been no communication on the next release. I imagine players on these servers would really appreciate an idea about what is happening, and would prefer not to get an abrupt release notice again. Cordovan's comment seemed to suggest there is a timeline of some sort, and that this is being discussed internally. Can you give us an idea at this point of where we are at? We are all VIP/Lifetime players on these servers and as such, I think show a dedication and appreciation to this game that deserves some communication regarding legendary server status at this point.
    Finnegan - Anor Server

Formerly, Galadheru (and others) - Evenstar Kinship, Vilya server.

Sooth. Communication is key. Managing expectations is essential for any service business!
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil

Please be March. I'm still only in the 50's moving at bumpkin pace
    Adarin Ouest of There and Back Again
    Thradin Stoneshield of Baruk Khazad

Quote Originally Posted by AdarinOuest View Post
    I understand your position, but the thought of them waiting till March sends shivers down my spine. Please, no. Stick to the latest schedule and let it be January.

Quote Originally Posted by AdarinOuest View Post
    Yeah, let's wait for everyone to get to the 75th and play Isengard.

We are waiting for Rohan in January. Anor is already empty.

I'd be happy with a February release. I'm at 75 on my main, and done with landscape for all except Great River content (2/3 to 3/4 way through), and perhaps mid way through the main story of Isengard. I'm always happy to have more time to enjoy the content, which is one purpose of Legendary servers: to progress with the same caps through all of the content again.

PM for invite: Ciph, Cipha, Ciphariel, Ciphor, Ciphorin | Alielyn, Alielys, Aliedyn, Alieryl

If they wait until March, Ithil will be barren.
    Sinistral - Honky Tonk Hobbit

"Using a bow to stand upright since the Second Age"

I'd probably agree that March is too long at this point and a delay would likely see a further decline in server population. I'm ambivalent myself - a little bored of what I'm currently doing, but it also gives me to time to work on an alternate character. And honestly, considering the teeth-gnashing regarding loot tables and content difficulty, I don't mind a delay if those issues are actively being fixed/balanced prior to release.

However, REGARDLESS of personal playing paces or prep work, I think it entirely appropriate that we are communicated to at this point about plans for the next content unlock.
    Finnegan - Anor Server

Formerly, Galadheru (and others) - Evenstar Kinship, Vilya server.

Yes, we intend to get you a heads up on the when for Rohan.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

good to hear that we will eventually hear about when we will hear about Rohan release on LS.
    The Black Appendage of Sauron

Quote Originally Posted by Saruman_Of_Numbers View Post
    good to hear that we will eventually hear about when we will hear about Rohan release on LS.
    Probably right after we hear a real update on the status of character transfers ...
    Aldowine (Captain), Aldosi (Guardian), Aldoik (Champion), Aldocome (Burglar), Aldobeorn (Bear), Aldomur (RK) - Arkenstone
    Kin Leader, Athelas & Tonic - https://www.athelasandtonic.com/

[stands up from the crate he's been sitting past 7 days waiting for RoR and rushes to Account Management to freeze subscription.]

EDIT: [notices that the "hold or cancel" button leads to no actual "hold" option. gg.]
    Last edited by Angbohr; Jan 07 2020 at 08:35 PM.

Talking

post of the year and it's only January!

You gave us a heads up every time previously, but will this heads up be more than 24 hours before release date? Say a week perhaps, maybe two, like every other mmo (and general video game) developer does?

Quote Originally Posted by Thymir View Post
    You gave us a heads up every time previously, but will this heads up be more than 24 hours before release date? Say a week perhaps, maybe two, like every other mmo (and general video game) developer does?
    Funny because he did say something. He said if it were close, you'd already know about it. In other words, it's not really close. But yeah, with their track record of how they give notice, I could be imagining things.
    “ädvëntürës ärë nöt äll pönÿ-rïdës ïn mäÿ-sünshïnë.”

Second nomination for post of the year. Well done!

I feel mocked. Honestly, how hard can it be to give your costumers a serious answer?

"We have other priorities this month...";
    "No can do, we'll update you next month...";
    "We are reviewing the schedule for LS, we havent decided..."

I could keep going.

We arent infants. This is not a fit. Its asking for information about a paid service we support.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurelinarien View Post
    I feel mocked. Honestly, how hard can it be to give your costumers a serious answer?
    It's not that hard to give an answer..... it is the fallout of if they fail to deliver.

Example:

SSG: We will release Rohan on January 16th!
    Players: Yay!
    SSG on January 15th: Oops, well eh, we can't deliver, it will be February 12th instead.
    Players:

While saying absolutely nothing, this is the result:

SSG on February 11th: We will release Rohan tomorrow on the 12th!
    Players:

In short, if they announce too soon and the plans change..... the players will complain: "But you promised!!!"
    If they announce shortly before release when they know it will happen, the players will be like: "Hey this is neat! Thanks!".
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    It's not that hard to give an answer..... it is the fallout of if they fail to deliver.

Example:

SSG on January 15th: Oops, well eh, we can't deliver, it will be February 12th instead.
    Players:

While saying absolutely nothing, this is the result:

SSG on February 11th: We will release Rohan tomorrow on the 12th!
    Players:

In short, if they announce too soon and the plans change..... the players will complain: "But you promised!!!"
    If they announce shortly before release when they know it will happen, the players will be like: "Hey this is neat! Thanks!".
    Seriously tho, they can't keep a major release date secret just because they are afraid of a pushback of the release date. I don't know any game company that cant set a release date at least a few weeks before release lol! They can at least say "we are planning to release it on the 12th of February, but a delay could be possible" or something like that..

Example:

Players:

As opposed to giving an insulting non-response and getting the exact same reaction.

Why risk only possibly annoying our customers when we can guarantee it by insulting them right off the bat!

True

I take it Marteena failed to understand my EXAMPLE REPLIES.

I'm not asking for a date as if it where the only acceptable answer. I just want to know something other than: "yea yea we know you want to know, we'll see what time brings".

And yea, this attitude isn't making people happy. So, moot point on the rioting.

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    As opposed to giving an insulting non-response and getting the exact same reaction.

Why risk only possibly annoying our customers when we can guarantee it by insulting them right off the bat!
    A developer will always go for the method that is guaranteed to piss off the LEAST customers, and makes the MOST customers happy, whatever method that is.

For me personally: I would rather have an announcement, and then SSG saying that they just couldn't get it done as promised and they will have to make changes or have a different delivery date etc..... than no communication at all. I understand that sometimes announced features turn out to be much more difficult to implement and have to be changed, and I understand that sometimes circumstances forces developers to delay their release date.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as understanding as me if SSG doesn't deliver on a promise, and will grab the pitchforks and torches to burn down the forums. The "but you promised, and you didn't deliver, burn, burn!!" crowd seems to be much stronger than the "oh well, we'll get it it when we get it" crowd.

Releasing new content on the legendary server certainly deserves an announcement ahead of time..... but in general, it is much better for a developer to not announce new features and then deliver them as a "surprise", then to promise features and then having to delay/retract certain things because of.... whatever/something.... and not deliver as promised.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

...but in general, it is much better for a developer to not announce new features and then deliver them as a "surprise", then to promise features and then having to delay/retract certain things because of.... whatever/something.... and not deliver as promised.

sounds like a great way to have people lose interest in your game because they don't know what to expect, with the safest bet being to expect nothing.

Here's a bananas crazy-pants cuckoo idea: Announce the release date as being much later than the actual expected release date, then make another announcement nearer the time of actual release that the release date has been moved up to 1-2 weeks from then, thus exceeding the low expectations you set earlier and impressing people with you "work ethic". If you run into delays, you have a built in buffer.

Here's another crazy-pants cuckoo idea: Don't insult your players with non-responses to legitimate questions... try giving an actual response that means something?

A developer will always go for the method that is guaranteed to piss off the LEAST customers, and makes the MOST customers happy, whatever method that is.

For me personally: I would rather have an announcement, and then SSG saying that they just couldn't get it done as promised and they will have to make changes or have a different delivery date etc..... than no communication at all. I understand that sometimes announced features turn out to be much more difficult to implement and have to be changed, and I understand that sometimes circumstances forces developers to delay their release date.

Unfortunately, not everyone is as understanding as me if SSG doesn't deliver on a promise, and will grab the pitchforks and torches to burn down the forums. The "but you promised, and you didn't deliver, burn, burn!!" crowd seems to be much stronger than the "oh well, we'll get it it when we get it" crowd.

Releasing new content on the legendary server certainly deserves an announcement ahead of time..... but in general, it is much better for a developer to not announce new features and then deliver them as a "surprise", then to promise features and then having to delay/retract certain things because of.... whatever/something.... and not deliver as promised.
    What other company announces a release 24 hours before? This is just showing how out of control this company seems to be, they cant set a date for a small patch that unlock certain areas already in the game! And in all honesty, where were the "pitchforks" when the expansion was delayed?? Most people ASKED for it to be delayed, this sounds like fake news lol. From what I see, most of the people in Lotro seem to be understanding of a delay...

The true answer is they have no clue when to release it, for reasons I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast