We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Textures disappear in U25.4

So, i've noticed after today's patch that in wider areas textures disappear for a split second. It may be caused by the client replacing lowres textures with better ones once you get closer to them.

I was able to capture it:

Since i'm playing on the same machine, and it started today, i guess it's related to the patch.

Anyone else seen it?

We did do some work this patch to address rendering and display issues, particularly an issue with "landscape hitching" and an issue seen sometimes with flickering. It may be this is a byproduct of that work.
    Community Manager, Lord of the Rings Online
    Follow LOTRO on: Twitter - Facebook - Twitch - YouTube
    Personal channels (No SSG talk): Twitch Twitter Facebook
    Support: help.standingstonegames.com
    coolcool

I'm seeing it too. I thought it might have been with the Rohan housing but even generic landscape is skipping. For a second or two I'm getting these giant void holes roughly every 30 seconds.

Yes, I noticed it in Tur Morva in Dunland. Wasn't sure if it was just me. Seems not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We did do some work this patch to address rendering and display issues, particularly an issue with "landscape hitching" and an issue seen sometimes with flickering. It may be this is a byproduct of that work.
    Something is clearly wrong. As you move and LODs change the surface does not render properly and textures first go blank and only then the proper texture loads.

Also, seeing that some performance improvements were mentioned in release notes I've made some benchmarks beforehand to see the difference and the performance in both framerate and stuttering while moving is exactly the same as before.

Flickering issues on distant objects like for example mountain textures conflicting with wall textures if you look at Dol Amroth from the distance, if this is what you mean by this flickering, are also still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Unthariel View Post
    Something is clearly wrong. As you move and LODs change the surface does not render properly and textures first go blank and only then the proper texture loads.
    I noticed that in Rohan landscape yesterday after the patch, very annoying, asked in wc if anyone else is seeing tthat or just me, turn's out a lot of people on Ithil experienced "lod blinking" starting with yesterdays patch.

Lightbulb

Seeing alot of worse flickering than before. Now trees and things load in then out again as You simply turn around. Around Minas Morgul (if look towrads it from when entering the region and the first camp with wooden walls) blue ghost mist flickers like crazy and as You turn (not move, juts turn ever so slightly ) various parts of Minas Morgul gets the mist then turn and another part of MM gets the mist and etc while some parts lose the mist.

Cydrith is offline The Lord of the Rings Online Team
    As you move and LODs change the surface does not render properly and textures first go blank and only then the proper texture loads.
    The improvements made allow the game to continue processing as normal as a new block is loaded. As a result, we're seeing this awkward cut when the LOD changes from far to near. In the past the client would have been hitched (frozen) while this transition happened, so no frames would be produced with the missing landscape surface. We'll be looking into a solution for this problem.

performance in both framerate and stuttering while moving is exactly the same as before.
    The framerate should not feel very different, if at all. The major difference should be noticeable while moving across landscape, and resource heavy areas. Where you might see the client constantly locking up, it should now (at worst) slow down a bit and continue to allow movement. Not all client hitching was fixed by this, but the major source has been mostly rectified. We're still trying to get a sense for exactly how effective this was, and if we can improve it further.

Flickering issues on distant objects like for example mountain textures conflicting with wall textures if you look at Dol Amroth from the distance, if this is what you mean by this flickering, are also still there.
    We have a fix for the flickering in the works, but that has not yet been released. At this point, flickering will be exactly as it always has been.

Hi there, new to the forums blue name
    It's good to know you guys are working on fixes for the hiccups and flickers. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll find we're patient when we're informed about what's happening.

*Whispers: "... wish I could say the same about other Devs making changes and giving no explanations"

I don't know that what I saw is the same as what is being discussed, but after the update, I walked into Bree by the north gate and as I topped the hill looking towards the vault building, there was no ground between me and the vault building. It was almost like I was walking in liquid mercury. I went ahead and moved into the area ... really bizarre... and eventually the landscape filled in. I don't really grok what was being "fixed", but in my opinion, this is a regression. Sure it was disruptive to have a client hang or experience little warps back in time, but at least the game landscape looked like the game was supposed to look like.

Quote Originally Posted by BRaymarK View Post
    I don't know that what I saw is the same as what is being discussed, but after the update, I walked into Bree by the north gate and as I topped the hill looking towards the vault building, there was no ground between me and the vault building. It was almost like I was walking in liquid mercury. I went ahead and moved into the area ... really bizarre... and eventually the landscape filled in. I don't really grok what was being "fixed", but in my opinion, this is a regression. Sure it was disruptive to have a client hang or experience little warps back in time, but at least the game landscape looked like the game was supposed to look like.
    This.
    Happened a lot last night for me. In various zones all over ME.

Like I told you...What I said...Steal your face right off your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Cydrith View Post
    The improvements made allow the game to continue processing as normal as a new block is loaded. As a result, we're seeing this awkward cut when the LOD changes from far to near. In the past the client would have been hitched (frozen) while this transition happened, so no frames would be produced with the missing landscape surface. We'll be looking into a solution for this problem.
    The solution is to load the new one before you unload the old one.

This has been a drive-by engineering crime perpetrated by the infamous renegade engineer, Thurallor.

Crime doesn't pay, kids.

Hey, now i know i'm not the only one AND it even has a name! Thx for the feedback!

The improvements made allow the game to continue processing as normal as a new block is loaded.
    Thanks for the info.
    << Co-founder of The Firebrands of Caruja on Landroval >>
    Ceolford of Dale, Dorolin, Tordag, Garberend Bellheather, Colfinn Belegorn, Garmo Butterbuckles, Calensarn Nimlos, Langtiriel, Bergteir

I was getting it especially bad in Breeland last night, both on my warsteed and riding stable horses (was deeding for virtues). Good to know it's being looked into, at least. Very disconcerting to have the ground continually disappear from beneath me!
    Crickhollow server: Argwerael (LM 130), Leofcwyn (Champ 87), Pearblossom (Mini 91), Gwilithil (Hunter 58), Verdani (Beorning, 53), Mapleblossom (Burg 37), Astornaith (Warden 35)

I think the key is the "resource heavy" bit. If the resources hadn't been piled in so much it wouldn't be so much the problem.

Not an issue for the world builders with their 32Meg+ rigs on an internal sever to show their manager their work but different on a 1600 pop realm.

What limits whether you can run 100 max clients or 2000 max clients on a sever? Whether we have 32 Megs or 6 Meg clients we have the same issue.

I am so glad to see some activity on these problems. I can't help but feel it's plastering over the cracks rather than fixing the structure, this round just a chunk of plaster came down.

We have a fix for the flickering in the works, but that has not yet been released. At this point, flickering will be exactly as it always has been.
    That is good to know and I hope it comes soon

I am questing on an alt in the Shire at the moment and as I get around big chunks of textures just flicker and disappear in white.

Flickering has been around for a while, but it is the first time I see textures vanish.
    Amorey - Bard of the Shire

This is really problematic in MT for me right now. As I'm running/riding around the city, the streets keep disappearing and I can see into the level below. If I try to run across the invisible street, my character starts the falling animation but doesn't go anywhere.

Is this worth filing a /bug or is it enough of a known issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Braer View Post
    I think the key is the "resource heavy" bit. If the resources hadn't been piled in so much it wouldn't be so much the problem.

Not an issue for the world builders with their 32Meg+ rigs on an internal sever to show their manager their work but different on a 1600 pop realm.

What limits whether you can run 100 max clients or 2000 max clients on a sever? Whether we have 32 Megs or 6 Meg clients we have the same issue.

I am so glad to see some activity on these problems. I can't help but feel it's plastering over the cracks rather than fixing the structure, this round just a chunk of plaster came down.
    32 megabytes?

Dr. Evil, is that you?

The framerate should not feel very different, if at all. The major difference should be noticeable while moving across landscape, and resource heavy areas. Where you might see the client constantly locking up, it should now (at worst) slow down a bit and continue to allow movement. Not all client hitching was fixed by this, but the major source has been mostly rectified. We're still trying to get a sense for exactly how effective this was, and if we can improve it further.

Great news! Like to hear from this kind of improvements. These are very welcome by the players. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Narphor View Post
    This is really problematic in MT for me right now. As I'm running/riding around the city, the streets keep disappearing and I can see into the level below. If I try to run across the invisible street, my character starts the falling animation but doesn't go anywhere.

Is this worth filing a /bug or is it enough of a known issue?
    First try the old log out to desktop and re-log in, if it still exists file a bug report. In your report be through, be precise, give precise locations (use the command /loc), identify your actions at the time, etc. I am in MT currently on my Warden and have run up and down the city several times, getting all the ash and trash deeds and quests out of the way and have yet to experience the issue you mention.
    Ujest - 140 Lore-master, Opun Tia – 107 Warden, Tummi - 105 Captain, Veneur - 75 Hunter, Cneasai - 66 Minstrel, plus alts and mules
    Officer, Pipeweed and Ale, Arkenstone (formerly – Friends of Frodo, Vilya)

and Star Citizen…

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf_TheOld View Post
    First try the old log out to desktop and re-log in, if it still exists file a bug report. In your report be through, be precise, give precise locations (use the command /loc), identify your actions at the time, etc. I am in MT currently on my Warden and have run up and down the city several times, getting all the ash and trash deeds and quests out of the way and have yet to experience the issue you mention.
    It's more the issue of first loading the area. Pottering about doing quests and "running" up and down, even with that run buff of a Warden, is nothing to the full gallop war-steed dash into a virgin load. Those who take a more relaxed pace might never see these issues, and possibly why many still don't "see" performance as an issue, they never push the limits at any stage of the game.

Also getting this.
    I tried various options in settings to try to fix this without anyluck, glad to see that it just isn't me and that there will be fixes in the works

Anyone noticed that not only are textures messed up with this update - sound appears to be also - When in combat i'm seeing constant sound effects being missed (it's pretty obvious on a warden)
    Taking the Scenic Path to Mordor

Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Anyone noticed that not only are textures messed up with this update - sound appears to be also - When in combat i'm seeing constant sound effects being missed (it's pretty obvious on a warden)
    I've noticed that it takes a noticeable while longer to load into zones, and, in particular locations (such as walking out of a tower in Minas Morgul), I'll be in combat before the enemy model, sound, music, animations, etc., load, but fortunately can still target and kill. It was like that before, but it's much worse now. I'm not sure it's related to the holey landscape. Kinda thought it was an "everyone's off playing with spiders" issue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast