We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Current Rotation for Best DPS

Hello,

Looking for some assistance on proper rotation and/or trait tree setup.

Currently I have 612k Crit, 800k Mastery, and only didst maintain a DPS of 77,167.110 over the last three minutes of our momentous conflict!

This was with self buffs/food only, it did not include the 2.5% dmg food or scroll, and traited deep into red with some blue (no points wasted on AoE skills).

Thank you.

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by ppezz65 View Post
    Hello,

Currently I have 612k Crit, 800k Mastery, and only didst maintain a DPS of 77,167.110 over the last three minutes of our momentous conflict!

This was with self buffs/food only, it did not include the 2.5% dmg food or scroll, and traited deep into red with some blue (no points wasted on AoE skills).

Thank you.

Are you an Elf hunter? I have slightly worse stats than you and play a Man hunter and I can get low 80's over 3 min without buffs.

Here are a few things I would consider:

1) Don't use any oils, use fire oil if you have an LM with raven pet in a group.
    2) Get a swappy bow for burn hot before the fight. Some hunters swap for swift bow damage and DoT damage, I don't think it's worth the risk of messing up your swap click and I don't have time to level up another LI so I just use it for burn hot.
    3) Make sure you open in camo and have the focus generation skill triggered, this will guarantee you a crit on first hit (50% + 25%+ whatever your crit % is) and for the following 5 seconds you will have a high crit chance. Also, before the fight starts, you can toggle strength stance as you are doing your burn hot bow swap, then toggle back before your opening hit to precision, this will get you 5 seconds of the increased crit magnitude from strength stance.
    4) Open with HS for a huge hit, then upshot, then quick shot to full.
    5) Once full go pen shot > blood arrow > exanguinate > barbed arrow swift bow
    6) If full focus hit upshot otherwise quickshot til full then Upshot
    7) While swift bow/exanguinate/blood arrow are on CD fill up focus with quick shot, reapply pen shot, hit one more QS if needed to fill up and then Upshot
    8) Rinse and repeat, make sure you hit Pen shot regularly, I find I don't get to it every 10 seconds sometimes and that will drop your ranged crit chance by 10% as well as losing the 5% mit debuff on target (only important if ur not using oils).

I've tried stance swapping mid combat and it sometimes helps sometimes hurts, so I just avoid it and do it pre-combat now for the crit increase.

I've also tried removing barbed arrow from the rotation, sometimes helps sometimes hurts for me. I decided to keep it because more DoTs means more crit chances which means lower CD's on HS and Upshot. Just have to be smart and use it when you have a lower induction from quick shot.

As far as trait lines go, red is the only trait line that is viable for really anything at L130 unless you are deeding grey mobs and want the mobility of blue. Fill up red, skip plant feet (complete garbage skill), skip the low cut trait point unless you are doing a lot of soloing or PvMP in red. Push blue up to get exanguinate (don't waste on pathfinder or split shot, do the damage traits and press onward until you can get blood arrow and exanguinate). If you have some left over do the DoT damage in yellow.

Hope this helps.
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

I am an elf, so I get the racial bonus.

I will try out your suggestions and see how it works.

Appreciate the advice, thanks Strider!

Quote Originally Posted by ppezz65 View Post
    Hello,

Thank you.
    Heya!

Here is the trait line I use: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachmen...3_150106_0.jpg

I have a few adjustments to Strider's rotation, FFR I can parse between 90k-110k DPS on a two minute parse.

This won't work on a training dummy, but before beginning on a boss get in Yellow and drop traps. Most of the effects are negligible, but Triple Trap grants 10%(?) damage, I think. Wasn't able to check at the time of the post, but it's really nice for the first burn phase.

I use Strider's camo burst rotation, but without stance swap: camo, swap to burn hot swappie, BH, swap to main bow, focus, heart seeker, upshot. Immediately hit Beneath Notice to help out your tank, because you'll probably pull aggro if they use taunts too early or if its BPE'd.

After this, I deviate from Strider a bit more: I hit quick shot once or twice until I can get pen shot up. Pen shot grants 10% crit chance, so the faster you get it up the better.

With pen shot up, I barbed arrow, qs, blood arrow, exanguinate. Upshot as soon as it's up and I have full focus.

Don't use Swift Bow unless you get the proc for its instant-cast, and use a swappie for it. Otherwise, your rotation is basically QS, making sure pen is up, and keeping blood arrow, upshot, and hs on CD. Always make sure you have a bleed running before using HS.

GL!

Hm, was under the impression that Shot Through the Heart trait is bugged - as in it consumes the bleeds but doesn't provide any bonus damage. Granted, haven't played my hunter alt very seriously at 130 cap, so haven't experimented with it in a long time, but don't recall seeing that this trait is 'fixed'. Additionally, if you don't trait it, you can get the bleeds from yellow and not blue (they offer a bit more damage per trait point). Otherwise great rotation tips, mine is similar, although i have BR, HS, US and dot legacy on one bow (swap for barbed on that one too), QS and Swift on the other - it's bit more swaps and needs a fully maxed out 2 bows (not just BH), but feels comfortable (champ main, so i don't mind the swaps )

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    Are you an Elf hunter? I have slightly worse stats than you and play a Man hunter and I can get low 80's over 3 min without buffs.

Here are a few things I would consider:

1) Don't use any oils, use fire oil if you have an LM with raven pet in a group.
    2) Get a swappy bow for burn hot before the fight. Some hunters swap for swift bow damage and DoT damage, I don't think it's worth the risk of messing up your swap click and I don't have time to level up another LI so I just use it for burn hot.
    3) Make sure you open in camo and have the focus generation skill triggered, this will guarantee you a crit on first hit (50% + 25%+ whatever your crit % is) and for the following 5 seconds you will have a high crit chance. Also, before the fight starts, you can toggle strength stance as you are doing your burn hot bow swap, then toggle back before your opening hit to precision, this will get you 5 seconds of the increased crit magnitude from strength stance.
    6) If full focus hit upshot otherwise quickshot til full then Upshot
    7) While swift bow/exanguinate/blood arrow are on CD fill up focus with quick shot, reapply pen shot, hit one more QS if needed to fill up and then Upshot
    8) Rinse and repeat, make sure you hit Pen shot regularly, I find I don't get to it every 10 seconds sometimes and that will drop your ranged crit chance by 10% as well as losing the 5% mit debuff on target (only important if ur not using oils).

I've tried stance swapping mid combat and it sometimes helps sometimes hurts, so I just avoid it and do it pre-combat now for the crit increase.

I've also tried removing barbed arrow from the rotation, sometimes helps sometimes hurts for me. I decided to keep it because more DoTs means more crit chances which means lower CD's on HS and Upshot. Just have to be smart and use it when you have a lower induction from quick shot.

As far as trait lines go, red is the only trait line that is viable for really anything at L130 unless you are deeding grey mobs and want the mobility of blue. Fill up red, skip plant feet (complete garbage skill), skip the low cut trait point unless you are doing a lot of soloing or PvMP in red. Push blue up to get exanguinate (don't waste on pathfinder or split shot, do the damage traits and press onward until you can get blood arrow and exanguinate). If you have some left over do the DoT damage in yellow.

Hope this helps.
    I wouldn't put a priority on pen shot over anything tbh it does same damage as quick shot and takes the same amount of time to cast given animation.
    1: Use pen shot once every 8-9s (you want the +10% inc crit chance 100% uptime).
    2: Use barbed arrow once every 12s (want to keep the bleed up).
    3: Use Heart Seeker and Upshot as soon as they are off cooldown, prioritize Upshot if full focus (HS got longer cd but if you're lucky and Upshot crits or devs and HS crits or devs a couple of quick shots will be enough to use Upshot again full focus in only 4-5 seconds after first one.
    4: Blood Arrow right before exanguinate when it is off cd, I don't spam blood arrow since cd on BA is shorter than Exanguinate and I want to keep the exanguinate buff as much as possible, also again rotation is based on keeping pen shot buff and using as much upshot and HS as possible, I doubt using exanguinate vs quick shot (more crit chance than other skills for upshot and HS cd) is actually worth it.
    5: Swift bow whenever you have the instant cast.
    6: Swap bows, 1 swap for burn hot damage and another swap with swift bow + HS damage. You don't need to tier up any other legacy on BH bow nor use relics on it, other 2 bows should be maxed.

Should be able to consistently hit 100k on dummy just with that once you practice probably more if you have raid set bonus for HS cd. That said... hunter will still be useless for raid even if you play it perfectly, maybe lucky if you can get a spot in 1st boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothrir View Post
    Hm, was under the impression that Shot Through the Heart trait is bugged - as in it consumes the bleeds but doesn't provide any bonus damage. Granted, haven't played my hunter alt very seriously at 130 cap, so haven't experimented with it in a long time, but don't recall seeing that this trait is 'fixed'. Additionally, if you don't trait it, you can get the bleeds from yellow and not blue (they offer a bit more damage per trait point). Otherwise great rotation tips, mine is similar, although i have BR, HS, US and dot legacy on one bow (swap for barbed on that one too), QS and Swift on the other - it's bit more swaps and needs a fully maxed out 2 bows (not just BH), but feels comfortable (champ main, so i don't mind the swaps )
    Is it? That's a shame. I'll test the yellow line bleeds later to see if the parse is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider5548 View Post
    Hi there!
    I suggest not to use QS on 4th step but Potion of Focus. You'll get full focus and +40% Devastate Magnitude (30s)

4) Open with HS for a huge hit, then upshot, then Potion of Focus.
    5) Pen shot > blood arrow > exanguinate > barbed arrow > swift bow (only if process)

I use Blood Arrow every time is off cooldown as it has higher crit multiplier than pen shot I found using RoA even when there is only mob usefull as it has higher base damage and crit multiplier than pen shot. I am also traiting bleeds from yellow rather than the ones from blue as they do seem to do the same job but you get 25% from yellow for 10 trait points while blue trait is 20% for 10 points.
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r10 Captain - r6 Guardian - r9 Reaver - r9 Warg

Quote Originally Posted by RicoFTW View Post
    I use Blood Arrow every time is off cooldown as it has higher crit multiplier than pen shot I found using RoA even when there is only mob usefull as it has higher base damage and crit multiplier than pen shot. I am also traiting bleeds from yellow rather than the ones from blue as they do seem to do the same job but you get 25% from yellow for 10 trait points while blue trait is 20% for 10 points.
    Hmm doesn't RoA have a way longer animation than other skills, might be good including in a rotation where there's some aoe but isn't it a dps decrease in st dps?.

Strider5548 is offline Legendary Hunter of Middle-earth
    Original Challenger of Jagger Jack
    Quote Originally Posted by Kander View Post
    Hmm doesn't RoA have a way longer animation than other skills, might be good including in a rotation where there's some aoe but isn't it a dps decrease in st dps?.
    It has an animation that prevents you from shooting it on the move (outside of blue line), but I don't think it's materially slower than pen shot in a rotation. Maybe by a small amount that I don't notice.

I do trait ROA because I like having AOE, it helps a lot w/ landscape and it's more fun when clearing trash in instances. I don't use it as part of my ST rotation though, maybe I'll test on target dummy and see how it works.
    Servers: Treebeard | Arkenstone | Landroval
    Classes: Hunter | Champion | Loremaster | Warden | Beorning | Guardian | Captain | Burglar
    Creeps: Warleader | Reaver

@RICO

Would you mind sharing your class trait set up? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    Would you mind sharing your class trait set up? Thank you.
    https://imgur.com/MJiqXb9

Even forgot how to upload picture on the forums...
    Captain-General Narthrivor r15 Hunter - r12 Warden - r12 Champion - r10 Captain - r6 Guardian - r9 Reaver - r9 Warg