We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Thread: Storied Tales

Storied Tales

Will storied tales give promotion points?

Quote Originally Posted by Woldo View Post
    Will storied tales give promotion points?
    Nope, these are alternatives to the Epic Battles. If you'd like to earn Promotion Points, you'll still be doing those in Epic Battles proper.

MoL

I'm so thankful that I can now finish Vol 3 without having to do the battles. Thank you so much for doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by wispsong View Post
    I'm so thankful that I can now finish Vol 3 without having to do the battles. Thank you so much for doing this.
    This! Some years ago, before server consolidation, I had a kinmate who loved doing those and he pulled all my chars of lvl 50+ through the Epic Battles, but things have changed, I now have several toons who had to leave out that part of the epic, because constantly begging for people to help you is not really fun. I am so glad that I can close those gaps now.
    There's some good in this world, and it is worth fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfLions View Post
    Nope, these are alternatives to the Epic Battles. If you'd like to earn Promotion Points, you'll still be doing those in Epic Battles proper.

MoL
    What about access to Epic Battles? If you complete Storied Tales, you get access to Helm's Wall, or you still need complete previous Epic battles to get access to all of them?

MoL
    One big problem with Epic Battles, especially from a player's first experience is the lack of any promotion points to begin with.

If a player enters for the first time with rank 0, there is virtually nothing they can interact with.

If the tutorial quest / storied tales gave enough to at least earn rank 0 (or some items were changed to be accessible with rank 0), this would be a massive qualit of life improvement.

This problem creates a large threshold to cross when entering Epic Battle content for the first time, something to especially consider when looking ahead to the Legendary Servers at 95.

Doing the Epic Battles wasn't so bad, when I could actually complete them. But my burglar has been stuck on the first epic battle. It seems impossible to do it without the main guy dying or failing in some fashion for my burglar. Perhaps they have gotten harder over the years with all the changes to classes and armor and such that have been made.

MoL
    Thanks. So Epic Battles will become optional but, in order to get the 2 trait points from 200 promotion points you still have to do them. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarpPro View Post
    Doing the Epic Battles wasn't so bad, when I could actually complete them. But my burglar has been stuck on the first epic battle. It seems impossible to do it without the main guy dying or failing in some fashion for my burglar. Perhaps they have gotten harder over the years with all the changes to classes and armor and such that have been made.
    Helm's Dike and Pelargir are almost impossible to solo, especially unranked and below 100. Fortunately people run Pel constantly, so it's easy to get that one done. But the Dike is just too big, has too much going on, and the NPC is far too fragile to maintain by yourself, especially if you're not already ranked. Putting the most complicated, hardest Epic Battle FIRST in the story is the opposite of ideal. Just making the NPC invulnerable would make it much more reasonable.
    Arda Shrugged : Elendilmir (RIP) -> Arkenstone -> Anor (RIP) -> Landroval -> Treebeard

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    Helm's Dike and Pelargir are almost impossible to solo, especially unranked and below 100. Fortunately people run Pel constantly, so it's easy to get that one done. But the Dike is just too big, has too much going on, and the NPC is far too fragile to maintain by yourself, especially if you're not already ranked. Putting the most complicated, hardest Epic Battle FIRST in the story is the opposite of ideal. Just making the NPC invulnerable would make it much more reasonable.
    I start solo'ing Defense of MT with while levelling alts. It's a much easier battle to be successful at. Once I've accumulated points in Defense, solo'ing the more challenging HD battles is feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallandil View Post
    One big problem with Epic Battles, especially from a player's first experience is the lack of any promotion points to begin with.

If a player enters for the first time with rank 0, there is virtually nothing they can interact with.

If the tutorial quest / storied tales gave enough to at least earn rank 0 (or some items were changed to be accessible with rank 0), this would be a massive qualit of life improvement.

This problem creates a large threshold to cross when entering Epic Battle content for the first time, something to especially consider when looking ahead to the Legendary Servers at 95.
    100% This.

I've always said EB's are fun when you are ranked up in one of the trees OR you are in there with a group just kinda bouncing around the fracas (but essentially getting carried). By contrast they are literally unengaging and often outright frustrating if you are trying them solo before you have several promotion points.
    Landroval - The Council of the Secret Fire Friendly, Casual, Mature, and always seeking more!
    Message moondog548 here, on Steam, Twitch, and Discord as moondog548#6830
    Moondog on Landroval, Isilroa on Anor, Reckless on Bombadil

Quote Originally Posted by gildhur View Post
    This is interesting, because my opinion of the Rohan epics was, after doing them all in a row, solo, at level, was that Deeping Wall was the hardest (because it was the only one that had enemy catapults) and Helm's Dike was almost impossible to *fail*.

Maybe I got an easy combo of side missions.

Pelargir under 100 is hard to solo, so I figure that's an issue of improper scaling, because it's quite doable solo at 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog548 View Post
    100% This.

I've always said EB's are fun when you are ranked up in one of the trees OR you are in there with a group just kinda bouncing around the fracas (but essentially getting carried). By contrast they are literally unengaging and often outright frustrating if you are trying them solo before you have several promotion points.
    Ha, yes. That was my experience doing them the first time for the story. Literally unengaging. Basically watching them run themselves while I sat back and just...uh...I'll poke this balista for 20 minutes...?
    Last edited by Starsmith; Jun 30 2020 at 12:11 PM.

MoL
    Personally I'd love to see some +1 Class traits in this method, so we have more sources of alternate points to work with.
    Crell-L85-Champion - Riddermark ; Swego-L85-Burglar ; Kotvi-L95-Runekeeper
    Delego-L85 Hunter ; Stodden-L51-Captain ; Edhul-L61-Loremaster
    Deglorion - SoA XP Disabler

question - how do we access the storied tales?

I know it says to pick them up from the person who would normally bestow the quest, but I was in the middle of Vol 3, book 12, ch 6 atop the wall. wiki says it starts with Aragorn. I've checked both Aragorn and Legolas just in case but neither of them appear to have rings? I have been stuck here forever not being able to get past this EB so I'd really love to try the storied tale instead....just can't find where to start it?

Quote Originally Posted by teribithia9 View Post
    I know it says to pick them up from the person who would normally bestow the quest, but I was in the middle of Vol 3, book 12, ch 6 atop the wall. wiki says it starts with Aragorn. I've checked both Aragorn and Legolas just in case but neither of them appear to have rings? I have been stuck here forever not being able to get past this EB so I'd really love to try the storied tale instead....just can't find where to start it?
    It should be the version of Aragorn that's on the Deeping Wall in Helm's Deep (After Midnight). Maybe double-check your quest log to find the last quest you completed? You're really looking for the most recent Book 13 quest - if you're in the middle of III.13.6, you might be on the stage where you need to round up swordsmen down below, before coming back up to speak to Legolas for the Epic Battle proper.

MoL

Thanks!

It should be the version of Aragorn that's on the Deeping Wall in Helm's Deep (After Midnight). Maybe double-check your quest log to find the last quest you completed? You're really looking for the most recent Book 13 quest - if you're in the middle of III.13.6, you might be on the stage where you need to round up swordsmen down below, before coming back up to speak to Legolas for the Epic Battle proper.

MoL
    Thank you! It did make me round up all the soldiers all over again. Appreciate it.

Question

Can anybody please tell me the exact position of Cenric? I just can't find him to take up the storied versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisgarred View Post
    Can anybody please tell me the exact position of Cenric? I just can't find him to take up the storied versions.
    Helm's Deep, Sunrise Banner: [63.9S, 90.0W]

Cenric: [70.5N, 17.4W]

Thanks, Cenrics coordinates are correct but the banner is rather at 68.9N 18.7W.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisgarred View Post
    Thanks, Cenrics coordinates are correct but the banner is rather at 68.9N 18.7W.
    Well, those coordinates are only for the specific phasing in which you are currently inside the instance at Sunrise in which the banner doesn't exist. The coordinates for the banner in which you port into Helm's Deep, which is "Before the Battle" instance, is correct. And then the coordinates for the other phases are different as well, but I figured I'd stick the landscape one in there.
    Last edited by WeirdJedi; Jul 21 2020 at 09:10 PM.