We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Is there a memorial for those we lost in the War?

I walked into the Mumak and Keep and got a terrible feeling of loss and just wished I could honor those two brothers. Maybe a heroes wall or monument already exists and I just missed it. I mean besides the Theoden one. At this point I'd have to look up their names and that's not very respectful. If one doesn't exist yet, could I suggest, a future update could be the rebuilding of Osgiliath (and the island down stream)? And it could be there?

Quote Originally Posted by Shirewhistle View Post
    At this point I'd have to look up their names and that's not very respectful.
    I'm not sure npcs in a game care if you are respectful or not O_O

I walked into the Mumak and Keep and got a terrible feeling of loss and just wished I could honor those two brothers. Maybe a heroes wall or monument already exists and I just missed it. I mean besides the Theoden one. At this point I'd have to look up their names and that's not very respectful. If one doesn't exist yet, could I suggest, a future update could be the rebuilding of Osgiliath (and the island down stream)? And it could be there?

There is a burning Pyre memorial that you can actually place on a large hook as a cosmetic in your own personal housing area. It is reflective of the book quest memorial story line pyre. It's rather large and sends up some very large flames when you activate it.

I don't recall which vendor sells it.

Pssst...*whispers* it's not real.

... If one doesn't exist yet, could I suggest, a future update could be the rebuilding of Osgiliath (and the island down stream)? And it could be there?
    I think these are good ideas. It's odd that there isn't a memorial in game- it's not mentioned in the books is it? But if not it's probably taken for granted that after such a massive war there would be some sort of memorial. It's odd that we just have a big fancy wedding and nothing else is really changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    I think these are good ideas. It's odd that there isn't a memorial in game-

Maybe the Servers could shut down and observe four days of silence in their honor?

Oh...wait....

There's a memorial field out in the pelennor. There's mounds covered in flowers and monuments.

Quote Originally Posted by Narthalion View Post
    Maybe the Servers could shut down and observe four days of silence in their honor?

Oh...wait....

lol I love your wit, however 4 days is not going to age well. who know maybe it will be the July tribute, and just like all the festivals, it will be extended through June. What a generous memorial
    Cheesiepoofs Bane of Vilya

Such memorial already exists, it's in Michel Delving.

I often go there to mourn.
    Arenaan | 50 Champion (SB 2007) Ulderich | 60 Champion (SB 2008) Ulderich II | 60 Champion (Eldar 2008) Caeinwyn | 65 Champion (Eldar 2008-2011)
    Angbohr V | 115 Champion (EN 2012-2017) Revenang and Hateful | 95 Champions (Anor) Angbohr VII | 130 Champion (Ark)

Quote Originally Posted by Halphast View Post
    I think these are good ideas. It's odd that there isn't a memorial in game- it's not mentioned in the books is it? But if not it's probably taken for granted that after such a massive war there would be some sort of memorial. It's odd that we just have a big fancy wedding and nothing else is really changed.
    It's not the way things were done. They were remembered in song. The first war memorial in the world wasn't built until the 1870's - the Crimea monument in London. Even that was simply a statue of anonymous soldiers. Memorials with the names of the dead really didn't appear until after the First World War, and were controversial at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorthnoth View Post
    It's not the way things were done. They were remembered in song. The first war memorial in the world wasn't built until the 1870's - the Crimea monument in London. Even that was simply a statue of anonymous soldiers. Memorials with the names of the dead really didn't appear until after the First World War, and were controversial at the time.

Yes, that's right.

1- Ten thousand busts memorializing the death of Elendil the Tall, High King of Gondor and Arnor, leader of the Faithful Feanorian Exiles. These conspicuous heads may be found on ruins of Gondor and Arnor innumerable, from the North Downs through Dunland, from Ost Celebrant to Dol Amroth, where a great number of giant bearded, crowned heads, but these are all of the same King, not to an unknown Swan Knight or other such Gondorian.

2- All of the various statues of Gondor's Kings and Stewards spread throughout the White City, as well as the tapestries of the Rohirric Kings, all which happen to involve something warlike, but- they are all of royal blood.

3- Yes, there is the Song of the Mounds of Mundburg, that is true, and also the flowered burial mounds of the Rohirric Kings.

All of these, of course, are to Kings and Stewards, not individual soldiers in particular, who were not as cared for by the monarchy. Ancient world forms of honoring soldiers typically involved the distribution of bread and booty (i.e. spoils of war), at public Triumphs for the living; you are right that the dead were not particularly commemorated by statues or etchings in ancient times, save in other forms of public commemoration or remembrance (i.e. Pericles' Funeral Oration, back in the day when Rhetoric was a kind of spoken monument; whenever the Roman Emperor would gather forces on the field of Mars for such purposes, etc.).

The closest thing we have in-game to a war memorial is the pyre scene and corresponding housing item and also the various, nameless, wooden statues and shrines of Rohan honoring its heroes and long-dead horses.

At the same time though, I truly get what the OP means, and I agree, it's weird not to see some other forms of commemoration of the heroes that died at Pelennor.

Personally, I think it would be very moving for a new tapestry to appear in a post-Ring version of Edoras / Meduseld, commemorating not only Theoden, but lesser in stature and beside him, all those brave lords of Rohan who perished, excluding Horn since Horn's an odd case (i.e. Grimbold, Dunhere, etc.).

I also think there should be full wall, large, tapestries as housing items depicting all the main lordly figures of Gondor and Rohan who died, from Forlong to Grimbold, and a special one for Golodir and Aragorn's defiance of Gothmog. That would be a unique way to sort of combine Rohirric and Gondorian traditions, exemplifying their renewed oath and alliance. Plus, it would just be very awesome to do that.

Personally, I really want them to just add a new room to the Houses of Lore that commemorates the events we've played-throughout the game. I think that would be very appropriate- from the initial business with Golodir, Norniel, Amarthiel / Narmelleth, Mordrambor, and Mordirith, up through Earnur's most recent ending in the MM expansion, as well as that of Isildur. That would be particularly meaningful and appropriate.

Naming is also a form of remembrance. I would have appreciated it if the Mumak and Keep was renamed for the Sons of Duinhir who frequented it, or had some special memorial poem or song engraved in its walls inside for remembrance. Maybe Gimli can send some Dwarves to help in addition to repairing the Main Gate?

After all, in Tolkien's lore, there is also Vaire, the Vala of Memory, who weaves into a great tapestry every person and event that happens in Middle-earth, which she does for all eternity in Valinor / The West. So, it would be in keeping in the spirit of the lore to do something like that I also really would love those Theoden, Denethor, and Boromir statues in particular from the Wedding as housing items
    Landroval player; I am Phantion on the forums only and do not have a corresponding character in-game with that name on any server. Cheers! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Atonu View Post
    I'm not sure npcs in a game care if you are respectful or not O_O
    Oh they care. They also enact their revenge! SLD