We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Lyrics/Singing in Lotro

Is there a way to play a song and sync the lyrics to come out in text messages? Or is there some other approach to "singing" with the music?
    May the winds of fortune sail you,
    May you sail a gentle sea.
    May it always be the other guy
    Who says, "this drink's on me."

Quote Originally Posted by SavinDwarf View Post
    Is there a way to play a song and sync the lyrics to come out in text messages? Or is there some other approach to "singing" with the music?
    Yes a lot players do this who are in music community, they use plugins, there two of them called Lyrical and Poetical, you copy the lyrics into the plugin, and have manually show the words, but the plugin helps greatly with that here the plugin shows how it works https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-Poetical.html

Edit: Sadly there is no way sync the words to the song you manually listen for the melody then post the words using the plugin
    Last edited by Pontin_Finnberry; Aug 11 2020 at 08:48 PM.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by Pontin_Finnberry View Post
    Yes a lot players do this who are in music community, they use plugins, there two of them called Lyrical and Poetical, you copy the lyrics into the plugin, and have manually show the words, but the plugin helps greatly with that here the plugin shows how it works https://www.lotrointerface.com/downl...-Poetical.html

Edit: Sadly there is no way sync the words to the song you manually listen for the melody then post the words using the plugin
    Thx, that helps a lot. Is there anyway to animate the text with floatie music symbols or something to indicate someone is singing?

Question about Poetical. So I guess you just kick the ABC song off and then use Poetical to say the words? I assume they don't interfere with each other? The only problem with /say is it will get gets mixed up with a lot of other stuff.
    May the winds of fortune sail you,
    May you sail a gentle sea.
    May it always be the other guy
    Who says, "this drink's on me."

4. Aug 12 2020, 09:26 AM

Thx, that helps a lot. Is there anyway to animate the text with floatie music symbols or something to indicate someone is singing?

Question about Poetical. So I guess you just kick the ABC song off and then use Poetical to say the words? I assume they don't interfere with each other? The only problem with /say is it will get gets mixed up with a lot of other stuff.
    They do not interfere no, so should be good as for symbols many use different ones for singing, I generally like to use the tilde Symbol, for example ~Here comes the Sun

Some do use the music note but with lotro its odd, it can't read the note so in chat replaces with ? however if have chat bubbles on for floating text you can see the music note that way. I wonder if some kind of old bug that it doesn't show in chat but does in floating text.
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

I like to use ?.
    [Edit: How ironic! That character survived as a quaver/eighth-note doublet symbol through several rounds of “Preview Post”, but then changed to a ? in the actual post.]
    In Windows, it's Alt-14...hold down the [alt] key while typing 1 4 on the numeric keypad (must be in numlock mode, not direction-key mode). I'm not sure how one does it on a Mac or if using a notebook that lacks a numeric keypad.

As Pontin mentioned, many people prefer ~ (or other basic character) because the chatbox displays ? for any character outside of the standard 256 in a given character set. (I'm not sure why, though. If you copy/paste from the chatbox to an external app or view it from a saved chatlog, the special characters are preserved. So, the chat processing system apparently has no problem reading, writing and working with them. It's just that, for some unknown reason, the font that the devs selected for the module that displays the chatbox does not include them.)

(Chatbox and floating text both support Latin, Cyrillic and Greek character sets, but, unfortunately, SSG now prevents using more than one character set in a single line...apparently they felt that the prohibition would somehow hinder goldspammers.)

I have seen some try using coloured text for lyrics, but that suffers from the opposite problem: chatbox supports it, chat bubbles do not. (Floating text will just display the uninterpreted code strings for the colour tags, instead of changing the colour...so it just looks like random rubbish.)

The chat and music systems are unrelated, so they will not interfere with one another.

Unfortunately, the game's LUA interface does not permit plugins to execute commands automatically (that is, the user must click to send each one), so there isn't any way to have a plugin send a timed sequence of /say commands. I suppose one could write a plugin that displays a timer to tell the user when to click to send the next line, but it cannot send the lines on its own.

(On the other hand, while it would be nice if one could automate the timed recitation of lyrics, permitting plugins to execute game commands would actually be very bad. Such ability would open the door for plugins designed to cheat the game mechanics...such as automating optimised combat moves and healing...or running bots to farm LP while away...and, of course, running trollbots to interrupt everyone's gameplay.)
    Last edited by Halgoreth; Aug 22 2020 at 10:07 PM.