We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

naming LI issues listing as vulgarity and inappropriate ###

Trying to name my LI Healing and Tanking (says it is vulgarity).. Heal and Tank (same)... Healing (listed as inappropriate name) Heal works but I can't put in tank anywhere......... this makes no sense level 85 and under was able to do that... now at 95 on anor it won't let me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherush View Post
    Trying to name my LI Healing and Tanking (says it is vulgarity).. Heal and Tank (same)... Healing (listed as inappropriate name) Heal works but I can't put in tank anywhere......... this makes no sense level 85 and under was able to do that... now at 95 on anor it won't let me.

This seems rather odd.

What makes it ironic, is that many LOTRO customers view the entire LI grinding process as "vulgar and inappropriate", even before you try to add a name.

Good luck.

You could create a in-game support ticket and see if a GM could possibly force the name change. But those words are not vulgar odd
    One Does Not Simply Walk into Minas Tirith they rubber band in!!

Myeah....

I tried to name my hunter's bow "[my name]'s Other Bow" and got that stoopid message too. But the total nonsense word was just fine !!!

So this is only happening on the Legendary Servers right? Maybe there is something wrong with the naming filter on the server.
    One Does Not Simply Walk into Minas Tirith they rubber band in!!

No it happens on every server.

I tried naming an Alt something unoffensive the other day. I forget what, something like "Aethelric" IIRC. Said it was vulgar and offensive. Seems the dictionary used for vulgar words is a bit odd...

But then, to paraphrase Blackadder.... Tank, geddit? Geddit? Tank.... sounds almost exactly like w....

8. Aug 19 2020, 05:50 AM

My Guardians LIs naming has a 'Father Ted' theme. So, I wanted to call my new MC Bridle 'My Lovely Horse'. Oddly it was flagged as Vulgarity (even though my level 85 bridle was already called that!). After some experimenting I found out it was the word 'My' that the vulgarity filter objected to. Perhaps 'My' is a rude word in Colloquial Mongolian, Old Norse, or Klingon.

Careful Now. Down with this sort of thing.
    You wait.
    Time passes.
    Thorin sits down and starts singing about gold.

I've run into so many illogical filter blocks, I've entirely stopped trying to name any of my crafted crit items or LIs.

*shrug*

It sucks, but just canceling the name pop-up is less frustrating than getting the filter message on mundane words.

Brandy: Cupcakes of Doom.
    Landro: Trueheart Companions.

When reforging my rune-keeper's stone which had the default name "Rune-keeper's Stone of the Third Age" or similar, I ticked the box to keep the default name, but it still gave a message "contains vulgarity" xD

This has been an issue for a long while now, I went to use the word Healing on my LI but can't cause considered vulgar and its not just LIs, many words are filtered out in chat, Don't say Windows its considered vulgar...
    Pontin Level 140 Hobbit Burglar Leader of Second Breakfast Crickhollow Server.
    other classes: Minstrel, Guardian, Captain, Hunter.

Taken many Screenshots of Middle-earth, Also a Moderator of the LotRO Community Discord server

Quote Originally Posted by pikeperch View Post
    When reforging my rune-keeper's stone which had the default name "Rune-keeper's Stone of the Third Age" or similar, I ticked the box to keep the default name, but it still gave a message "contains vulgarity" xD
    This seems particularly odd that even the default name is being blocked.

My son tried to name an LI the other day and kept getting the vulgarity message. He tried three different names and all were blocked. The only word they all had in common was "second." Makes me wonder if the "third" in the default name is also the problem. Wasn't there an issue with numbers being blocked before?

Quote Originally Posted by Devolved View Post
    I've run into so many illogical filter blocks, I've entirely stopped trying to name any of my crafted crit items or LIs.

*shrug*

It sucks, but just canceling the name pop-up is less frustrating than getting the filter message on mundane words.
    A couple of my alts have named their LIs, and had no trouble. My eldest LM's staff and book are named Aeterna and Perennis, two words fpr "Eternal" in Latin. Another's staff is named Sweostorgifu, "Sister's Gift" in Old English (she's a Rohir, and my Woodworker alt made it for her. )

I seem to remember reading (years ago) that the filter was bought OEM from some other company, and SSG's ability to tweak it is limited. This is

/filter on

very annoying,

/filter off

but there's probably nothing to be done about it.
    Eruanne - Shards of Narsil-1 - Elendilmir -> Arkenstone
    www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/

maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day
    One thing they probably should do is change the message, e.g. "This name is not allowed according to current naming policies". There are quite a few words not allowed, but they aren't vulgar.

I'm still miffed I could not used the word "analysis" in one of my names because it contains "anal".
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

The name is not really vulgar, just prohibited. Turbine did buy/license the filter from a third party in order to prevent genuine vulgarities and ensure that the game's ESRB rating did not get jeopardized by them. They can modify the dictionary used by the filter and have added a lot of NPC and book character names as well as literature and product names. It also includes a lot of titles and ranks like: king, duke, captain, hunter, etc. I'd bet that first, second, and third are prohibited because they are used as part of PvMP ranks for freeps and the simple string comparison finds them in the dictionary.

The name check process only has a single error message about the name being vulgar and inappropriate. The 3rd party code simply looks up the name string in the dictionary and returns that message if found. It has no way of reporting the real reason for the name being prohibited, just success or failure. The only thing they could do would be to expand the error message to include more causes for rejection so that those unaccustomed to its foibles would have more possible reasons that don't make sense to them.
    The Lag is so bad I saw Sara Oakheart outrun someone - kickman77

Cener, Ingo, Rilibald, Hesred, Halras, Belegthelion, Ingoror, Gloringo
    Arkenstone (ex-Elendilmir) - The Osgiliath Guard - http://www.theoldergamers.com