We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    maartena is offline The Wise
    Drinks Coffee All Day

"Issues beyond our control"

The only issues beyond the control of SSG are DDoS attacks or major internet backbone failures.

Hardware can be replaced.
    Internet providers can be changed. (Although it takes 60-90 days to get a new circuit delivered to your cage in a data center)
    Software can be changed or upgraded.

If any of their third party vendors aren't doing their job, they too can be changed.

But.... I think it is time to just acknowledge what this is: Some disgruntled player has found a way to utilize a botnet or university network to DDoS SSG, and the firewalls at SSG aren't capable of handling it.
    Moved from Riddermark to Arkenstone on 9/29/2015!
    -----
    Disclaimer: The definition of "Soon™" and "In The Near Future™" is based solely on SSG's interpretation of the words, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "Soon™", "Near", and "Future" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

2. Aug 20 2020, 01:24 PM

3. Aug 20 2020, 01:27 PM

4. Aug 20 2020, 01:29 PM

5. Aug 20 2020, 01:32 PM

6. Aug 20 2020, 01:33 PM

7. Aug 20 2020, 01:34 PM

8. Aug 20 2020, 01:35 PM

9. Aug 20 2020, 01:36 PM

Since LOTRO is running in a hosted data center Hardware issues, network issues, internal networking issues, etc are actually beyond the control of SSG. They can shout at the data center, they can encourage the data center, they can try pulling their hair out and IN THE LONG RUN they could migrate to another data center. But the only constructive thing they can do in the short term is test thing when the data center say "we may have fixed it".

There are huge advantages to using hosted data centers, but when things go wrong the developers will tend to feel a little helpless.

My one hope is that they are seriously considering a new data center vendor if this continues.
    May the winds of fortune sail you,
    May you sail a gentle sea.
    May it always be the other guy
    Who says, "this drink's on me."

11. Aug 20 2020, 01:43 PM

12. Aug 20 2020, 01:44 PM

Well, I just hope they get compensated for the terrible service at the data centre if that is where the fault lies. Maybe they'll get some nice candles.

14. Aug 20 2020, 01:47 PM

15. Aug 20 2020, 01:48 PM

16. Aug 20 2020, 01:50 PM

17. Aug 20 2020, 01:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Hankenstein View Post
    LMFAO and thats not up for some random player to tell who is judged or not

you have no power or control once you signed up contract thats it

now deal with it
    That "Random" player, could possibly be subscribed for real money. So yes we do have power, we pay their bills at the end of the day...Now deal with it.

SSG i m with you do not fear, we will get them all, they are mini mouses.

Last edited by Oldwiley; Aug 20 2020 at 02:20 PM.
    "Romper: You have the power to make EM less boring for yourself and everyone else. "
    "Look for your lore. But do not trust to lore, it has forsaken these lands." - Eolore prince of Lorehan

SSG i m with you do not fear, we will get them all, they are mini mouses.

CaerArianrhod is offline Rohirrim Scout
    Guardian of Erebrandir's Horseshoe's Secret
    Trainer of the Rabbits
    SSG i m with you .
    Good for you. I'm very sure they need you. They are depending on you.

this thread is a proof how ugly community is ,insults,attacks,mockery,attac king team and i get it now its because of Marteena name you think female she is in real life, so you defend her

Okay that is it

Interestingly enough, when this all started an organization I work with had a ransomware attack through a hosted data center in Medford MA, near the "office" of SSG. This has been a show ever since and I can't help but find the timing curious. I Keep waiting for the second shoe to drop and SSG to sack up and tell us they have been hacked, but based on the existing "communication strategy", it will be to downplay the situation as a low priority issue while the house is on fire.

25. Aug 20 2020, 02:22 PM

26. Aug 20 2020, 02:22 PM

A few weeks ago a lot of players (including me) were complaining about a lack of information about what was going on with the outages. Imo, the announcement made today about server instability is a perfect example of SSG listening to the community. The information in this announcement is more than they were giving before, it is reasonable, timely, and (to me) sufficient. Of course I am disappointed when the game isn't working, but that's only because I like this game so much.

do you congratulate the bus driver everyday because he stops at red light ?

????OMGosh this is Sooooo frustrating!!!!!!!
    I can’t complete the dances because the game keeps freezing and locking up!!

Plus putting the summer festival and farmers faire together you ruin it for crafters who are working for the universal crafting ingredient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????

So instead of getting 4 universal craft ingredients for doing each daily requirement per festival by then end of the festival.
    Now we get only one set of 4 for both festivals!
    You decide to hurt the crafters!! Let’s cut their ingredients in half!!!
    Great job Standing Stone!
    Corn Is Lore appropiate!!

Quote Originally Posted by maartena View Post
    The only issues beyond the control of SSG are DDoS attacks or major internet backbone failures.

Hardware can be replaced.
    Internet providers can be changed. (Although it takes 60-90 days to get a new circuit delivered to your cage in a data center)
    Software can be changed or upgraded.

If any of their third party vendors aren't doing their job, they too can be changed.

But.... I think it is time to just acknowledge what this is: Some disgruntled player has found a way to utilize a botnet or university network to DDoS SSG, and the firewalls at SSG aren't capable of handling it.
    I am pretty sure that SSG aren't running their own servers, in fact, they seem to be utilizing the same server(s) as Turbine, curious that is wouldn't you say? A DDoS attack IS a possibility however as security has never been a strong point at LOTRO. Our old account pages are still available via the old UNSECURED Turbine URL for example. (http://myaccount.turbine.com/)
    "Life is a pretty boring game, but at least it has good graphics"

What exactly is SSG doing to regain control?

Quote Originally Posted by Mysthoo View Post
    do you congratulate the bus driver everyday because he stops at red light ?
    Hosting such huge and old game without any techincal problems far more harder and compex work when driving a bus.

33. Aug 20 2020, 02:30 PM

34. Aug 20 2020, 02:30 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Elmagor View Post
    Hosting such huge and old game without any techincal problems far more harder and compex work when driving a bus.
    driving a bus is probably harder than posting a message on forums when you are community manager and forums are being invaded by negative threads resulting of your silence

36. Aug 20 2020, 02:31 PM

37. Aug 20 2020, 02:32 PM

It's literally not. Fans have been running private servers of older MMOs than Lotro without pay and it runs 100x times better than lotro. Their job is to maintain this product, and they have utterly failed to do so.

Also, they have had several weeks/months to fix it.

you either are a new player and then you have limited experience on LOTRO community management or then you are a true fanboy hidding behind a fake account
    Not a new player. Easy to spot.
    Sometimes, no matter how hard you look, there is no best light.

40. Aug 20 2020, 02:35 PM

I wonder why WoW and Runescape never seem to have month long lagfests when they are even older than LOTRO?

driving a bus is probably harder than posting a message on forums when you are community manager and forums are being invaded by negative threads resulting of your silence
    So you just want to see tech info what you never understand?

We'd like a hint at some existence of expertise, haven't seen anything remotely resembling that in many years. Only hiding away.

They have nothing good to say.

So you just want to see tech info what you never understand?
    it took several hours for Cordovan to post a generic message on twitter, this resulted in many threads that could have been avoided if he came in forums to post a message that they are aware of the situation. Sadly he was probably busy playing DDO since LOTRO isn't what he likes.

it took several hours for Cordovan to post a generic message on twitter, this resulted in many threads that could have been avoided if he came in forums to post a message that they are aware of the situation. Sadly he was probably busy playing DDO since LOTRO isn't what he likes.
    Or may be he don't allowed to give us info.

Or may be he don't allowed to give us info. Yep, release Cordovan from contract - great idea when SSG already have not too many people in company.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast